TrueBlueArmy Forums
Ronan Curtis looks to be off - Printable Version

+- TrueBlueArmy Forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com)
+-- Forum: TBA forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Play Up Pompey (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: Ronan Curtis looks to be off (/showthread.php?tid=1892)

Pages: 1 2 3

RE: Ronan Curtis looks to be off - BlueArmy - 13-06-2022

I wish Ronan well. Thanks for his efforts.

Unfortunately, like Raggett, Harness and the rest of the team, he is not good enough for a league one promotion team.

We are going to be mid table this season.

RE: Ronan Curtis looks to be off - Pompeyg100 - 13-06-2022

(13-06-2022, 07:28 PM)BlueArmy Wrote: I wish Ronan well. Thanks for his efforts.

Unfortunately, like Raggett, Harness and the rest of the team, he is not good enough for a league one promotion team.

Even DC can manage above mid table

RE: Ronan Curtis looks to be off - slayer - 13-06-2022

Good luck to him. He was frightening when paired with Lowe on the other wing. Has been played out of position and played with lesser players. The tragedy at home won't have helped either.

We got an extra year out of him.

(13-06-2022, 07:32 PM)Pompeyg100 Wrote:
(13-06-2022, 07:28 PM)BlueArmy Wrote: I wish Ronan well. Thanks for his efforts.

Even DC can manage above mid table

Curtis was a decent player for us but isn't quite good enough for a promotion team from league one.

Infact, we don't have ANY players good enough for promotion from this league.

We keep failing with the same players.

As an example, our defence got torn to shreds at Sheff Wed. We are miles off them.

If only we could build the squad from scratch.

RE: Ronan Curtis looks to be off - Hammie - 13-06-2022

Has been excellent most of his time when played in his best position. Will be happy if he stays. If he goes and we can replace him and leave a bit over for another then good.
Will be interesting to see how he does if he moves on.

Dunno. I've been saying we need 9 signings go go up.

We will need 10 now.

Problem is, I think management in all areas of the club think we need a few quality signings to push for promotion.

We are massively off it. Even if we get a lot of quality signings in, extremely unlikely, they'll take time to gel.

I reckon we will get 3 to 5 players in, at best, few freebies.

I'm certain our squad will be weaker than when the season finished.

I hope I am proven wrong.

If anyone was thinking of having a fallow year from the dross, this is the one.

Yeah I agree. The fans will stick with the club as always though.

If the club give promotion a real go and we can come close but fall short like under Kenny, i can reluctantly accept that.

To be honest though I'm completely sick of this league now and want out now. Give me a manager who plays long ball, we are terrible every game but grind out 1 0 wins and get promotion.

I don't care how we get out this league, I just want out of it. 

If we get off to a slow start then tornante and the cowleys are going to be under big pressure.  Potentially I could even see some protests if we aren't challenging for top 6.

Big season for the club and they must get it right.

(13-06-2022, 07:58 PM)BlueArmy Wrote: Problem is, I think management in all areas of the club think we need a few quality signings to push for promotion.

We are massively off it. Even if we get a lot of quality signings in, extremely unlikely, they'll take time to gel.

So we can judge him after 3 windows then like he said we could. I won’t miss him.

(13-06-2022, 08:15 PM)Pompeyg100 Wrote:
(13-06-2022, 07:58 PM)BlueArmy Wrote: Problem is, I think management in all areas of the club think we need a few quality signings to push for promotion.

So we can judge him after 3 windows then like he said we could. I won’t miss him.

It's certainly crunch time for the Cowleys.

I do have some sympathy for them, as they aren't given enough backing by the owners IMO.

But lots of managers have not always been supported fully in the market and still got promotion. Good managers can do this.

I hope Danny and Nicky succeed as they do seem like good guys. I just have my doubts about them.

Let's hope we get off to a good start because the pressure will be on.

(13-06-2022, 08:22 PM)BlueArmy Wrote:
(13-06-2022, 08:15 PM)Pompeyg100 Wrote:

It's certainly crunch time for the Cowleys.

I do have some sympathy for them, as they aren't given enough backing by the owners IMO.

But lots of managers have not always been supported fully in the market and still got promotion. Good managers can do this.

I hope Danny and Nicky succeed as they do seem like good guys. I just have my doubts for them.

Let's hope we get off to a good start because the pressure will be on.

But he told us how good he is in the transfer market. I am pretty confident they knew what they were getting in to and were appointed because they would have told them what they can do on a limited budget. They always talk about how much they like bringing youngsters on and what a wonderful job they did with smith-Rowe.

I can’t really see what his experience in the lower leagues has brought us in the transfer market apart from signing players he’s had before, surely he knows players that he identified as having a future apart from raiding millwall and Sunderland.

What we are seeing - which is as clear as day to anyone who wants to allow their eyes to show them what is in front of them - is that neither the club nor the Cowleys have a scouting network.

In my experience in life, when people tell you how good they are at something (im referring to the Cowleys advising how good they are in the transfer market),  they are often full of rubbish. Confident people don't need to big themselves up or talk about what they have done or can do.  I wish a lot of managers would stop blowing their own trumpets in football.

And yes I also agree that we don't have a scouting network at all, nor do the Cowleys. Which is very strange tbh.

When all is said and done, Pompey shouldn't be in this position season after season after season struggling to get out of the third tier. Its embarrassing.

RE: Ronan Curtis looks to be off - exterminator - 13-06-2022

Curtis contract runs out in June 2023 when he could go for free. He always has been a 1 in 3 player, but last season that slipped to 1 in 5 so best to cash in now whilst we can get a fee.

In summary :- Average player for League 1 at most, never had much pace for a winger, rarely beats his man on the outside and whips in a dangerous cross, too much cutting inside & poor shooting - carp corner taker.

Must be better out there sonewhere

(13-06-2022, 08:59 PM)exterminator Wrote: Curtis contract runs out in June 2023 when he could go for free. He always has been a 1 in 3 player, but last season that slipped to 1 in 5 so best to cash in now whilst we can get a fee.

In summary :- Average player for League 1 at most, never had much pace for a winger, rarely beats his man on the outside and whips in a dangerous cross, too much cutting inside & poor shooting - carp corner taker.

Must be better out there sonewhere

There are better out there, but they'll probably go to someone like Fleetwood instead of us...

RE: Ronan Curtis looks to be off - dsmg - 13-06-2022

50 goals in 189 appearances, mostly from the wing, looks pretty good to me. What were you expecting? Sydney Opera House?

RE: Ronan Curtis looks to be off - Pedalo_menders - 13-06-2022

I'm now hearing that the deal is off. Oh well. Had our hopes up for a while.

RE: Ronan Curtis looks to be off - slayer - 14-06-2022

Which one? Three clubs interested according to reports

RE: Ronan Curtis looks to be off - Pompeyg100 - 14-06-2022

(13-06-2022, 11:28 PM)Pedalo_menders Wrote: I'm now hearing that the deal is off. Oh well. Had our hopes up for a while.

Now hearing? You mean reading on twitter?

RE: Ronan Curtis looks to be off - Pompeyg100 - 14-06-2022

(14-06-2022, 01:18 AM)scumslayer Wrote: Which one? Three clubs interested according to reports

The deal to Hibs which sounds like there never was a deal or interest.

RE: Ronan Curtis looks to be off - Jizbag - 14-06-2022

(13-06-2022, 05:26 PM)Harrysgirl Wrote: Well I must be missing something here…. We are a truly progressive club  eh ..we sell out most creative player and according to the radio tonight DC saying he can buy at least 2 players now as it also releases some wages .,, really ..have we sunk so low that we are happy with the status quo….or   if  we need to buy more than 2 which we clearly do……the  fee will be even less .. I am not asking to spend a fortune … just to be competitive ….  Also Curtis can’t be one of the big wage earners he was non league Ireland when we found him … It truly makes my blood boil … Let’s hope it is spent wisely although not convinced. 

Good luck Ronan we wish you all the best Thankyou for your service.

I am a season ticket holder of 40 years …my patience is wearing thin  the thinnest it has ever been …we fans seem to have accepted mediocrity and league 1 football and a mid table finish at best … I probably won’t renew I have had enough… I need to get that fire in my belly and to do that I need hope and passion … something that KJ and ME seem to have drained out of me …. I need to at least think  my beloved club are moving forward … on the pitch …and don’t think we are in 5 years . It all seems embarrassing … we can’t even compete with league 2 teams for players now … what has happened to my famous old club….

Can anyone offer anything to convince me we are on the up …on the pitch.

That's one of the reasons I didn't renew after the pandemic.

RE: Ronan Curtis looks to be off - exgaffer - 14-06-2022

(14-06-2022, 08:05 AM)Jizbag Wrote:
(13-06-2022, 05:26 PM)Harrysgirl Wrote: Well I must be missing something here…. We are a truly progressive club  eh ..we sell out most creative player and according to the radio tonight DC saying he can buy at least 2 players now as it also releases some wages .,, really ..have we sunk so low that we are happy with the status quo….or   if  we need to buy more than 2 which we clearly do……the  fee will be even less .. I am not asking to spend a fortune … just to be competitive ….  Also Curtis can’t be one of the big wage earners he was non league Ireland when we found him … It truly makes my blood boil … Let’s hope it is spent wisely although not convinced. 

I am a season ticket holder of 40 years …my patience is wearing thin  the thinnest it has ever been …we fans seem to have accepted mediocrity and league 1 football and a mid table finish at best … I probably won’t renew I have had enough… I need to get that fire in my belly and to do that I need hope and passion … something that KJ and ME seem to have drained out of me …. I need to at least think  my beloved club are moving forward … on the pitch …and don’t think we are in 5 years . It all seems embarrassing … we can’t even compete with league 2 teams for players now … what has happened to my famous old club….

Well it all comes down to why you attend matches doesn’t it?

I have supported the team for over 60 years and as soon as I could afford a season ticket I bought one, I have no intention of changing that.

It’s more than just the football, it’s the mates, the beer, the memorable away games, the whole thing.

If it was just about the football I probably would have given it up years ago.

It’s about supporting Pompey no matter what, that’s what benign a supporter has always been about.

RE: Ronan Curtis looks to be off - Rocketman - 14-06-2022

(14-06-2022, 08:22 AM)exgaffer Wrote:
(14-06-2022, 08:05 AM)Jizbag Wrote:

Well it all comes down to why you attend matches doesn’t it?

I have supported the team for over 60 years and as soon as I could afford a season ticket I bought one, I have no intention of changing that.

It’s more than just the football, it’s the mates, the beer, the memorable away games, the whole thing.

If it was just about the football I probably would have given it up years ago.

It’s about supporting Pompey no matter what, that’s what benign a supporter has always been about.

Absolutely agree with Ex-G. To go further, to be quite honest I don't care what division we are in, I just want to see exciting football (which all Divisions can be), and each player playing for the shirt, for the supporters, for the team; can't ask for anything more. At least outside of the Prem (which was fun when we were there but nearly killed us) we don't have to put up with raging prima-donnas and endless cheating.

RE: Ronan Curtis looks to be off - Rick Pumpkin - 14-06-2022

(14-06-2022, 12:11 PM)Rocketman Wrote: At least outside of the Prem (which was fun when we were there but nearly killed us) we don't have to put up with raging prima-donnas and endless cheating.

Except for when we play Wycombe, Cambridge, Oxford, etc.

Unfortunately, that's endemic throughout the game now and even at the local NLN team I sometimes go and watch (Kidderminster) you see it from so many teams.