TrueBlueArmy Forums
New Goalkeeping Coach - Printable Version

+- TrueBlueArmy Forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com)
+-- Forum: TBA forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Play Up Pompey (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: New Goalkeeping Coach (/showthread.php?tid=1908)

New Goalkeeping Coach - TBP - 19-06-2022

Will he have anyone to train?

RE: New Goalkeeping Coach - Pompeyg100 - 19-06-2022

The goalkeepers?

RE: New Goalkeeping Coach - BlueArmy - 19-06-2022

Never heard of him.

RE: New Goalkeeping Coach - Pompeyg100 - 19-06-2022

(19-06-2022, 07:58 PM)BlueArmy Wrote: Never heard of him.

Let me guess, he’s rubbish?

RE: New Goalkeeping Coach - Pedalo_menders - 19-06-2022

(19-06-2022, 07:32 PM)TBP Wrote: Will he have anyone to train?

Probably some Premier league youngsters  Tongue

RE: New Goalkeeping Coach - BigSmokeBlue - 20-06-2022

Background to our new 30 year old goalkeeping coach Joe Prodomo, courtesy of the Bournemouth echo:

https://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/sport/20221634.academy-goalkeeper-coach-prodomo-takes-first-team-role-pompey/

RE: New Goalkeeping Coach - bluetagagain - 20-06-2022

So a very cheap low level option then

RE: New Goalkeeping Coach - Pompeyg100 - 20-06-2022

(20-06-2022, 11:44 AM)bluetagagain Wrote: So a very cheap low level option then

Yeah unfortunately Mancisidor turned us down.

RE: New Goalkeeping Coach - BigSmokeBlue - 20-06-2022

It would appear so. Never played professional football or been a first team goal keeping coach for a league club. At 30 years of age, he doesn’t have a lot of experience. Similar background to The Cowleys.

RE: New Goalkeeping Coach - DeepBlue - 20-06-2022

(20-06-2022, 01:27 PM)BigSmokeBlue Wrote:

It would appear so. Never played professional football or been a first team goal keeping coach for a league club. At 30 years of age, he doesn’t have a lot of experience. Similar background to The Cowleys.

or he could be the best young goalkeeping coach in the country ?  Who knows ? You don't and I don't, so why don't we just wait and see how he does before deciding how good he is.  

But he must have something about him to get a job as goalkeeping coach at Bournemouth. 

And it's a big advantage that he has worked with Bass & Steward before, so maybe he showed some talent for the job then which is why he got offered it. If he was crap we would hardly have gone back for him.

(20-06-2022, 01:35 PM)DeepBlue Wrote:
(20-06-2022, 01:27 PM)BigSmokeBlue Wrote:

or he could be the best young goalkeeping coach in the country ?  Who knows ? You don't and I don't, so why don't we just wait and see how he does before deciding how good he is.  

But he must have something about him to get a job as goalkeeping coach at Bournemouth. 

And it's a big advantage that he has worked with Bass & Steward before, so maybe he showed some talent for the job then which is why he got offered it. If he was crap we would hardly have gone back for him.

It’s the new thing, everyone and everything is rubbish, even the players we haven’t yet signed.

I’m not saying he’s rubbish or won’t succeed. All I’m doing is stating how young and inexperienced he is. He wasn’t THE goalkeeping coach at Bournemouth he was the academy GK coach, it’s a big step up for someone who hasn’t played at that standard. For example he’ll be coaching Bass who has more senior GK experience than he has. I was just expecting someone with league experience.
Still this is the new Pompey , Young , cheap or borrowed .

(20-06-2022, 01:58 PM)bluetagagain Wrote: I’m not saying he’s rubbish or won’t succeed. All I’m doing is stating how young and inexperienced he is. He wasn’t THE goalkeeping coach at Bournemouth he was the academy GK coach, it’s a big step up for someone who hasn’t played at that standard. For example he’ll be coaching Bass who has more senior GK experience than he has. I was just expecting someone with league experience.

We have a manager who has less professional games than Bass too.

And that shows

RE: New Goalkeeping Coach - DeepBlue - 20-06-2022

(20-06-2022, 01:58 PM)bluetagagain Wrote: I’m not saying he’s rubbish or won’t succeed. All I’m doing is stating how young and inexperienced he is. He wasn’t THE goalkeeping coach at Bournemouth he was the academy GK coach, it’s a big step up for someone who hasn’t played at that standard. For example he’ll be coaching Bass who has more senior GK experience than he has. I was just expecting someone with league experience.

Some of the best coaches in the country have never played at a high level. The two jobs are very different. Good players can become good coach but only if they learn to coach well. Similarly lower level players can learn to be good coaches despite never achieving much as a player because the job is about coaching not playing.

The vital experience this guy has is working at Pompey with the Pompey goalkeepers. In what can now be regarded as a trial period he showed enough the get the job. And if he is young he is surely more likely to be good at coaching young keepers in modern goalkeeping techniques, possibly far better than an old-style keeper with hundreds of league games under their belt.   Can you imagine Alan Knight coaching Gavin Bazunu ???

TBF I can’t imagine Knightsie coaching anybody unless it’s how to get your round in