TrueBlueArmy Forums
Groundhog Day - Printable Version

+- TrueBlueArmy Forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com)
+-- Forum: TBA forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Play Up Pompey (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: Groundhog Day (/showthread.php?tid=1912)

Pages: 1 2

Groundhog Day - Dibdenblue - 21-06-2022

So it would appear according to various reports today quoting DC that the truth about our Transfer budget is finally out the bag. We have once again been led to believe that this season, finally we were going to go for it, release the purse strings a wee bit to be competitive. Just wait and see on the 10th of June they said.

So we have been patiently waiting and expecting something to happen as Danny wanted the so called wish list in place before pre season started, well that’s deadline No2 missed.

Now we are being let down gently again and are told that we probably need to sell Harness and Curtis before we buy anyone.
So I guess that means the budget didn’t exist in the first place it’s all been BS! Once again, as they say in the states.

I hope I am wrong but it would certainly explain the lack of any real crumb of a decent transfer so far. It looks like once again it’s going to be last minute freebies and loans and we all know how that turns out. 

Groundhog Day!

RE: Groundhog Day - stayinupforever - 21-06-2022

Should I apply for a refund of my season ticket money under the Trades Descriptions Act?

RE: Groundhog Day - Dibdenblue - 21-06-2022

It’s a thought, I’m just thankful I have golf as a distraction. Would love to be proved wrong but unless something positive on the transfer front happens soon it’s going to be difficult to attract anyone decent. Like I said we have seen this all before and we end up with mainly dross.

RE: Groundhog Day - Pompeyg100 - 21-06-2022

(21-06-2022, 02:50 PM)Dibdenblue Wrote: So it would appear according to various reports today quoting DC that the truth about our Transfer budget is finally out the bag. We have once again been led to believe that this season, finally we were going to go for it, release the purse strings a wee bit to be competitive. Just wait and see on the 10th of June they said.

So we have been patiently waiting and expecting something to happen as Danny wanted the so called wish list in place before pre season started, well that’s deadline No2 missed.

Now we are being let down gently again and are told that we probably need to sell Harness and Curtis before we buy anyone.
So I guess that means the budget didn’t exist in the first place it’s all been BS! Once again, as they say in the states.

I hope I am wrong but it would certainly explain the lack of any real crumb of a decent transfer so far. It looks like once again it’s going to be last minute freebies and loans and we all know how that turns out. 

Groundhog Day!

They said the money was there for young players who they can develop, I don’t think DC is referring to that.

Also, hardly any clubs in L1 buy players.

Lastly, just about every manager outside the Prem comes out with these lines every summer, it’s standard practice.

RE: Groundhog Day - BlueArmy - 21-06-2022

The club are treating fans appallingly. We are going to be in a relegation battle this season and could drop.

RE: Groundhog Day - Pedalo_menders - 21-06-2022

Perhaps not a relegation battle but we are definitely looking at another slow start to the season. What a waste of a (another) year.

DC will no doubt use it to train up some more Premier league youngsters ahead of our own players again.

RE: Groundhog Day - Isaac Hunt - 21-06-2022

Well, is narrowly avoiding relegation better than mid table nothingness...asking for a friend

RE: Groundhog Day - exgaffer - 21-06-2022

(21-06-2022, 02:50 PM)Dibdenblue Wrote: So it would appear according to various reports today quoting DC that the truth about our Transfer budget is finally out the bag. We have once again been led to believe that this season, finally we were going to go for it, release the purse strings a wee bit to be competitive. Just wait and see on the 10th of June they said.

Groundhog Day!

Well I read one of the reports entitled something like ‘Danny Cowley admission on transfer budget’.

I was expecting some kind of revelation but it said absolutely fuck all.

It ended up being a word salad concocted by a reporter desperate for something to write, there was nothing new on there at all.

The club will make the signings they can afford and will not splash out on fees or wages, I thought that was clear by now ffs.

RE: Groundhog Day - bluetagagain - 21-06-2022

Same shit different season
https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/danny-cowley-reveals-update-over-player-signings-at-portsmouth/

RE: Groundhog Day - Dibdenblue - 21-06-2022

With just under a month left we have no recognised strikers and are now told that 2 of our key attack minded/creative assets will need to be sold to fund future signings.
According to DC though the squad is apparently in a better place than it was last year.

(21-06-2022, 03:34 PM)exgaffer Wrote:

Groundhog Day!

Well I read one of the reports entitled something like ‘Danny Cowley admission on transfer budget’.

I was expecting some kind of revelation but it said absolutely fuck all.

It ended up being a word salad concocted by a reporter desperate for something to write, there was nothing new on there at all.

The club will make the signings they can afford and will not splash out on fees or wages, I thought that was clear by now ffs.

There’s another article I haven’t bothered reading headlined along the lines of Cowley must get value for money. That’s no different from any other manager or club ffs and I’d be very concerned if we weren’t looking for value for money.

There used to be a time when no one believed what’s printed in papers, it seems if they post the article online it’s suddenly gospel.

RE: Groundhog Day - Theyak2 - 21-06-2022

I read the above post and guessed it was gaffer.
Talks loads of sense, a bit patronising but actually bang on the money.
All the time building works continue, we will struggle. It's happened a 1000 times before to almost every club. As their stadium dreams come true they tend to start becoming better on the field.
My only concern is the fact our stadium won't have a decent capacity increase and can not see how we will improve because of it.
The rest of the BS that comes out the club is just that.
I can't help who I support but I sometimes wish I could!!

We will improve the capacity in the coming years at fp I'm sure to 25k ish at least. Extended FE etc.

Unfortunately we will probably be in league 2 at that point in the next few seasons.

I’m sure once the Eisners finish the real estate improvements and sell, the new owner(s) can invest in the squad. So I can’t see us going mad on transfers or indeed getting promotion for a few more seasons.

(21-06-2022, 04:07 PM)bluetagagain Wrote: I’m sure once the Eisners finish the real estate improvements and sell, the new owner(s) can invest in the squad. So I can’t see us going mad on transfers or indeed getting promotion for a few more seasons.

What would be the point in them doing that?

Profit, they bought us for £5M , I’m sure they’ll get more than that plus what ever they’ve spent.
An internationally known established English L1 football club with an updated ‘modern ‘ stadium and training ground , coupled with a large passionate support. I’m sure there’d be buyers

The eisners aren't going to want a make a quick buck, they don't need to, they are billionaires.

No doubt their long term goal is to get us in the premiership for the big bucks once the stadium has been upgraded in all areas.

RE: Groundhog Day - Smirnoffexpress - 21-06-2022

(21-06-2022, 03:34 PM)Pedalo_menders Wrote: Perhaps not a relegation battle but we are definitely looking at another slow start to the season. What a waste of a (another) year.

DC will  no doubt use it to train up some more Premier league youngsters ahead of our own players again.

And it’s the another year without real hope that grinds you down. I can take anything other than the vague hope that we will improve on the pitch. Sadly that looks a long shot with this administration.

RE: Groundhog Day - Smirnoffexpress - 21-06-2022

(21-06-2022, 04:43 PM)BlueArmy Wrote: The eisners aren't going to want a make a quick buck, they don't need to, they are billionaires.

No doubt their long term goal is to get us in the premiership for the big bucks once the stadium has been upgraded in all areas.

Long term plan? How fucking long term is it?

RE: Groundhog Day - exgaffer - 21-06-2022

(21-06-2022, 04:41 PM)bluetagagain Wrote: Profit, they bought us for £5M , I’m sure they’ll get more than that plus what ever they’ve spent.
An internationally known established English L1 football club with an updated ‘modern ‘ stadium and training ground , coupled with a large passionate support. I’m sure there’d be buyers

They bought us for £5m, invested an initial £10m, have increased that by underwriting losses exacerbated by the COVID farce and I’m sure there’s more that I haven’t mentioned.

If there is an easy profit to be made, how come there wasn’t a queue of prospective buyers when the Eisners bought us? We may be more attractive now because of the points you raise, but I can’t see the price being high enough to make profit the only motive. If they were in it for that there are many other places where they could have more profitably invested their money.

You may be right of course, time will tell won’t it?

RE: Groundhog Day - BabaOReally - 21-06-2022

(21-06-2022, 04:41 PM)bluetagagain Wrote: Profit, they bought us for £5M , I’m sure they’ll get more than that plus what ever they’ve spent.
A profit amount that would barely be noticeable to the eyes of a billionaire and definitely not worth 5 years of their time. The club's not suddenly worth 30 or 40 million plus because they've bought the Roko and have spent a hefty wedge on on what is effectively necessary  repairs and corrections to an old ground.

(21-06-2022, 04:46 PM)Smirnoffexpress Wrote:
(21-06-2022, 04:43 PM)BlueArmy Wrote: The eisners aren't going to want a make a quick buck, they don't need to, they are billionaires.

Long term plan? How fucking long term is it?

About 100 years I think...

RE: Groundhog Day - briefcase_wanchor - 21-06-2022

Nothing to see here.

This was all entirely foreseeable when the first murmurings were made about transfers a few weeks back. Only a madman would have expected anything else. And who would have noticed another madman around here (Cpt Blackadder, 1917).

I very much doubt anyone is going to pay that much for the club, they’ve spent £11m on the ground alone. I don’t think the works being done would class it as modern, Wembley, Spurs, Arsenal are modern grounds.

(21-06-2022, 04:45 PM)Smirnoffexpress Wrote:
(21-06-2022, 03:34 PM)Pedalo_menders Wrote: Perhaps not a relegation battle but we are definitely looking at another slow start to the season. What a waste of a (another) year.

DC will  no doubt use it to train up some more Premier league youngsters ahead of our own players again.

And it’s the another year without real hope that grinds you down. I can take anything other than the vague hope that we will improve on the pitch. Sadly that looks a long shot with this administration.

Hope left us when DC got the job permanently after failing his trial.