TrueBlueArmy Forums
Maybe going down is what we need - Printable Version

+- TrueBlueArmy Forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com)
+-- Forum: TBA forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Play Up Pompey (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: Maybe going down is what we need (/showthread.php?tid=1914)

Pages: 1 2

Maybe going down is what we need - slayer - 21-06-2022

Fans will wake up, Tornante will be exposed

RE: Maybe going down is what we need - BlueArmy - 21-06-2022

There have been some real positives under their ownership with the training ground purchase and stadium improvements, albeit they were forced improvements to the stadium. We need a bigger capacity than 20k, at least at a minimum 25k. But the current works are a start af least.

Unfortunately the lack of investment on the field is really starting to frustrate fans more than ever and fans are really starting to lose patience after giving the owners some time. Even the most happy of clappers like deepblue, ex gaffer,  pompeyg100 or whatever his name is must secretly be concerned.

All this 'wait and see what the transfer window brings' is nonsense. Even cowley said we need to get rid of Harness and curtis before we can add to the squad, which is shocking.

This season is 100 percent going to be another wasted season of doing nothing. Infact it's a disgrace. People like Cullen collecting their big pay cheques mugging us off.

If the club think the fans will keep turning up if they don't invest on the pitch, they are in for a huge shock. Where's the hope, the excitement? There doesn't appear to be any.

It could get nasty down fratton park this season with protests etc.

RE: Maybe going down is what we need - farq2 - 21-06-2022

FFS Rolleyes

RE: Maybe going down is what we need - Pompeyg100 - 21-06-2022

All this 'wait and see what the transfer window brings' is nonsense. Even cowley said we need to get rid of Harness and curtis before we can add to the squad, which is shocking.

He didn’t say this though.

Sorry BlueArmy, or whatever your name is. Why do we need a bigger capacity for less people going to FP?

I’m not concerned by the lack of transfers currently no, there’s a hell of a long way to go and not a lot of players have been signed across L1. I am concerned by the managers ability to get us promoted and that’s the issue for me. DC has an absolutely wealth of experience in the lower leagues, surely he has a list of players who could step up. He’s out of his depth unfortunately and I don’t think a £10m budget would have much effect on our chances of going up under him.

RE: Maybe going down is what we need - BlueArmy - 21-06-2022

(21-06-2022, 07:29 PM)Pompeyg100 Wrote: All this 'wait and see what the transfer window brings' is nonsense. Even cowley said we need to get rid of Harness and curtis before we can add to the squad, which is shocking.

Sorry BlueArmy, or whatever your name is. Why do we need a bigger capacity for less people going to FP?

I’m not concerned by the lack of transfers currently no, there’s a hell of a long way to go and not a lot of players have been signed across L1.  I am concerned by the managers ability to get us promoted and that’s the issue for me. DC has an absolutely wealth of experience in the lower leagues, surely he has a list of players who could step up. He’s out of his depth unfortunately and I don’t think a £10m budget would have much effect on our chances of going up under him.

Of course we need a bigger capacity. No one thinks 20k is enough. If we are doing well in any division then we'd sell 25k at an absolute minimum with better facilities too.

Take the Sunderland game at home last season as an example, we'd have sold 25k for that if capacity allowed.

Anyway, on topic, Danny is a P.E teacher and not a football manager. I like the bloke but he's not up to it.

RE: Maybe going down is what we need - Hammie - 21-06-2022

with both Harness and Curtis on their last year, we are almost certain to sell for a decent offer.
If that happens than I would assume one winger and one striker with the money.
The transfer business we did last season almost all turned out to be decent.
Hopefully NC will stop whinging and start signing players within our budget (which is what every club outside the nuthouse that leads to point deductions and multiple relegation does). He was told by all reports that with the money for Walker we could sign 2 decent players for this level. By Cullen who knows excatly what it costs to build a strong team in this division.

RE: Maybe going down is what we need - BigSmokeBlue - 21-06-2022

(21-06-2022, 07:29 PM)Pompeyg100 Wrote: All this 'wait and see what the transfer window brings' is nonsense. Even cowley said we need to get rid of Harness and curtis before we can add to the squad, which is shocking.

I’m not concerned by the lack of transfers currently no, there’s a hell of a long way to go and not a lot of players have been signed across L1.  I am concerned by the managers ability to get us promoted and that’s the issue for me. DC has an absolutely wealth of experience in the lower leagues, surely he has a list of players who could step up. He’s out of his depth unfortunately and I don’t think a £10m budget would have much effect on our chances of going up under him.

Not concerned by the lack of transfer activity? Our competitors who share the same aspirations for promotion have made several signings so far: Ipswich 3; MK Dons 3; Peterborough 3; Bolton 3; Sheffield Wednesday 3; Barnsley 2; Charlton 2; Wycombe 1; Plymouth 1.

A lot of these signings have been freebies and loans. So why have Pompey been so slow in making similar sorts of transfers?

(21-06-2022, 07:49 PM)BigSmokeBlue Wrote:

Not concerned by the lack of transfer activity? Our competitors who share the same aspirations for promotion have made several signings so far: Ipswich 3; MK Dons 3; Peterborough 3; Bolton 3; Sheffield Wednesday 3; Barnsley 2; Charlton 2; Wycombe 1; Plymouth 1.

A lot of these signings have been freebies and loans. So why have Pompey been so slow in making similar sorts of transfers?

we were warned that waiting for loans to free up might be right through to the last minute.
Hopefully they have given O'Brien a deadline for the offer on the table so they can get on with other business if he does not really want to come.

RE: Maybe going down is what we need - 66zoolane - 21-06-2022

'Maybe going down is what we need'

No! After 5 years in League 2 someone will probably say the same thing.

RE: Maybe going down is what we need - Pompeyg100 - 21-06-2022

(21-06-2022, 07:49 PM)BigSmokeBlue Wrote:

And that means what? It’s not a race to see who can sign players first.

RE: Maybe going down is what we need - billyb - 21-06-2022

Imo the Eisners have been good owners so far and have done pretty much what they said they would do (+1 for Roko, -1 for Academy, +1 for Covid, -1 for EWWK, +1 for ground). It is not correct to suggest we would have points deductions etc. if Tornante increased the playing budget to Championship levels. These owners are solid. But if they want Championship football they must increase the playing budget! Ground capacity is irrelevant until projections show that we will sell out more games.

The budgets are limited by league rules for clubs already in the division, relegated clubs have 3 years of being allowed higher budgets.
The whole football finance thing needs sorting out rather than the league by league hotch potch.

RE: Maybe going down is what we need - billyb - 21-06-2022

Thanks Hammie. Quote from Danny Cowley in 2021: 

Portsmouth chief Cowley said: “Ultimately we can’t compete with some clubs in this division.
“You’re looking at the top end of the division this year and it’s gone crazy financially. I’ve lived this league with Lincoln two years ago and the top teams are paying double what they paid then.
“We’ve got brilliant owners who are doing things sustainably, which is absolutely the right thing to do. But when you do it in a sustainable way, you have to do it in an intelligent way.”

RE: Maybe going down is what we need - stayinupforever - 22-06-2022

An intelligent way meaning spending as much on the pitch as off.

RE: Maybe going down is what we need - Pompeyg100 - 22-06-2022

(22-06-2022, 06:42 AM)stayinupforever Wrote: An intelligent way meaning spending as much on the pitch as off.

That would go against exactly what he said though.

RE: Maybe going down is what we need - Tomsk - 22-06-2022

Going down would mean playing shite and losing lots of games. Can you just imagine the amount of bleating, crying and wet pants on here if that happens! I don't think there'd be too many seeing it as a positive.

RE: Maybe going down is what we need - firqdays - 22-06-2022

Yesterday, 07:06 PM by scumslayer.)
Fans will wake up, Tornante will be exposed

Sorry, 'Slayer' but not sure about the threatened 'grand exposure' re Tornante!
Sorry (again) to repeat what has been said many times before on our brilliant forum, but Mr E has done/will do what he always SAID he would do - No more no less.
He has contributed many millions of pounds into our club ; ( easy words to trip off the tongue "millions" - but hard cash).
And, the majority of that expenditure not resonating with certain fans who did not truly comprehend what he said at the Guildhall. I heard him loud and true expound his perception of the way ahead.
Sorry, if it brings anguish but NO-ONE else could have sustained or saved the ground (PFC) without that exceptional investment .
He had the balls to place his money where his mouth was, ( maybe even anticipating the future wrath) but again to do exactly what he said ....................NO MORE, NO LESS !!
PUP!

RE: Maybe going down is what we need - slayer - 22-06-2022

Firqdays you are this board's/Michael's equivalent of Nadine Dorries and I claim my £5

RE: Maybe going down is what we need - firqdays - 23-06-2022

Do you declare that for tax purposes ?

But, brilliant politicians answer Slayer - i.e - avoiding the issue !

RE: Maybe going down is what we need - Rick Pumpkin - 23-06-2022

(23-06-2022, 08:09 AM)firqdays Wrote: But, brilliant politicians answer Slayer - i.e - avoiding the issue !

No, I don't actually think he was. Not that particular issue at least.

Remind me again, what's a sock puppet?

RE: Maybe going down is what we need - bluetagagain - 23-06-2022

Well said Firqdays. It’s always easy to spend someone else’s money.
Of course we’d love Danny to spend the cash, get promoted and then spend again to consolidate us in the top half of the championship. However there’s a recession ( there will be soon), we have a limited playing budget at the moment, maybe that’ll change once ground improvements are complete.
I’d love a few more signings ( about 5 more actually), and I’m sure they’ll come.
We’ll be ok this season. It’s play offs or bust for DC.

RE: Maybe going down is what we need - Northstander - 23-06-2022

Tomsk is right not many would see it as a positive, it would be a sad day for me if we were relegated. I agree with Bluetag we need a few more quality signings, then it's playoffs at least or it's on yer bike DC

RE: Maybe going down is what we need - Pompeyg100 - 23-06-2022

(23-06-2022, 08:52 AM)bluetagagain Wrote: Well said Firqdays. It’s always easy to spend someone else’s money.
Of course we’d love Danny to spend the cash, get promoted and then spend again to consolidate us in the top half of the championship. However there’s a recession ( there will be soon), we have a limited playing budget at the moment, maybe that’ll change once ground improvements are complete.
I’d love a few more signings ( about 5 more actually), and I’m sure they’ll come.
We’ll be ok this season. It’s play offs or bust for DC.

Promotion or bust for DC imho.

RE: Maybe going down is what we need - firqdays - 23-06-2022

Rick P wrote, "No, I don't actually think he was. Not that particular issue at least.
Remind me again, what's a sock puppet?"

Well for me a sock puppet would be described as a PROP ...... whilst purporting to be used for something other than it's intended purpose.

And POMPEY 100 - Yes indeed being aged I also want to see us climb back asap and UI would love another proven goal scorer as we had in yesteryear, perhaps ....a Mick Quinn, or Alan Biley , a Mark Hateley or indeed a David Kemp !

RE: Maybe going down is what we need - Northstander - 23-06-2022

A Colin Garwood even