TrueBlueArmy Forums
Do we have a south american scouting network at all? - Printable Version

+- TrueBlueArmy Forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com)
+-- Forum: TBA forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Play Up Pompey (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: Do we have a south american scouting network at all? (/showthread.php?tid=1923)

Do we have a south american scouting network at all? - BlueArmy - 25-06-2022

And I don't mean in Brazil or Argentina (the big 2 in South america), as league one clubs are not able to sign up u20 internationals from these countries. There is still big fixation with these countries as they do produce a lot  of high level talent and that's where the focus predominantly is.

The best or better young talents from the big 2 countries are often picked up by the biggest clubs in Europe.

I lived in Caracas and across the country there were some very good players that just didn't get the opportunities. Venezuela got to the world cup u20 final in 2017, losing to England 1 0.

Brexit has made it easier to get talent from south america. The requirements to come.over here are so much lower now especially for u20 national team players outside Brazil and Argentina. This is a route we should be looking very seriously at. 

There is a lot of talent in countries such as Venezuela, Ecuador, Peru etc which is largely unexplored. There is still a hesitancy to venture into these countries and it is crazy. Under 20s can be signed by league one clubs from these countries. Even outside the youth international stages, there a lot of very good players at local clubs. 

Playing for a current third tier club like Pompey, with a great fanbase and history would be a dream to many young south american players. Plus good wages and a chance to make it in europe.

A lot of the young south american players are more than good enough to play for a team who's target is promotion to the Championship. Infact, many of the are players are of a higher standard that have gone under the radar of many. A high percentage would hit the ground running, I'm certain of it.

There are a good amount of u20 internationals outside the big 2 that can be signed for around £100,000 to £150,000 and they would be happy to accept wages well within league one wages budgets.

A lot of the young Venezuelan, Ecuadorian etc players are much better than what we have at the club.

Just a scout or two in these countries would help hugely and bring big rewards and I could help the scout(s) in Venezuela (not that the club would be interested).

RE: Do we have a south american scouting network at all? - Pompeyg100 - 25-06-2022

I think there’s a reason there aren’t many 19 year old South American players in L1.

I think the January evening games might not suit them, plus the language, moving half way across the world by themselves etc.

It’s a gamble and probably not a £200k+ one L1 clubs are willing to take.

I would have thought there is a lot of potential in Scandinavia etc though.

RE: Do we have a south american scouting network at all? - BlueArmy - 25-06-2022

(25-06-2022, 03:58 PM)Pompeyg100 Wrote: I think there’s a reason there aren’t many 19 year old South American players in L1.

I think the January evening games might not suit them, plus the language, moving half way across the world by themselves etc.

It’s a gamble and probably not a £200k+ one L1 clubs are willing to take.

I would have thought there is a lot of potential in Scandinavia etc though.

I respect your opinion and agree about Scandinavia talent too.

I understand what you are saying about moving halfway across the world from family and friends.

However the standard of life in the UK compared to Venezuela for example is night and day. 

What they earn here, even in the third tier, they could live well and provide for their relatives back home too.

Your messi's, neymars are exceptional talents that only Europe's biggest clubs will get.

However there are a lot of good young players from the so called lesser nations that would do very well for us in this league and be upgrades on what we have. I know of a number that would be successful here.

All the club would need to do is listen, communicate and allow a scout or number of scouts to find the talent in these countries. 

Unfortunately I do not think the club would take the risk (what they would consider it).

RE: Do we have a south american scouting network at all? - Pompeyg100 - 25-06-2022

Well you could always become a football agent and get these kids clubs. Not sure Pompey would want to work with you considering your opinions of the club.

I also don’t think they would fit in to DC’s style of play.

There’s far more than being good at football to come from another country as a kid with no support.

RE: Do we have a south american scouting network at all? - Pedalo_menders - 25-06-2022

Our owners aren't even aware of when the transfer window opens lol. They also won't pay enough to hire the linchpin of their recruitment strategy, allowing Forrest Green Rovers AND Cambridge to both publicly embarrass us.

So I think inter continental scouting networks may be slightly further down their list of priorities. Certainly behind determining our favourite films or waiting for network rail to build them a free bridge.

RE: Do we have a south american scouting network at all? - BlueArmy - 25-06-2022

(25-06-2022, 04:36 PM)Pompeyg100 Wrote: Well you could always become a football agent and get these kids clubs. Not sure Pompey would want to work with you considering your opinions of the club.

I also don’t think they would fit in to DC’s style of play.

There’s far more than being good at football to come from another country as a kid with no support.

I only have Pompey at heart, don't care about any other clubs.

I highly doubt that anyone from the players to management actually read this board.

In South America football is life and opportunities are limited at best in many places. Many young players would jump at a new start in a new country at a famous club like Pompey.

As for Dannys style of play,  he overcomplicates things and overthinks.

Football has always been about players, and if you have good players with good ability, then that alone will bring success more than any systems could.

(25-06-2022, 04:52 PM)Pedalo_menders Wrote: Our owners aren't even aware of when the transfer window opens lol. They also won't pay enough to hire the linchpin of their recruitment strategy, allowing Forrest Green Rovers AND Cambridge to both publicly embarrass us.

So I think inter continental scouting networks may be slightly further down their list of priorities. Certainly behind determining our favourite films or waiting for network rail to build them a free bridge.

I must admit, your post did make me laugh (yet what you've said is probably all true)  Big Grin

RE: Do we have a south american scouting network at all? - Pedalo_menders - 25-06-2022

Lol yes, mainly tongue in cheek but all true.

Your post had some great points and in an ideal world we would have some sort of contact across most footballing hotbeds...but not quite yet

RE: Do we have a south american scouting network at all? - Hammie - 25-06-2022

Any South American is likely to be a bit of a gamble at this level. Operating with a small squad and no reserve side we probably cannot afford those gambles YET. If Roko can develop to give us the chance for a U23/reserve side then I hope we will be able to bring in rejects for the top leagues including some dabbles abroad. Caitlin talked about how much a reserve/U23 costs these days (not sure why but they need separate this that and the other that do cost a lot of money) so one for the future, hopefully not too far in the future now.

RE: Do we have a south american scouting network at all? - slayer - 25-06-2022

I can't unsee the Pete in these posts now

RE: Do we have a south american scouting network at all? - Pompey_in_Derby - 25-06-2022

Not convinced about the standard of football in Venezuela. The national side are usually the whipping boys of South American football and their success in the Under 20s was a bit of a one-off.

Have visited the country and watched a top flight game in Caracas against a side from Merida. Doubt there were more than 3,000 fans there (the previous night I watched my first and only baseball game and there were 20,000+ in the same stadium!).

Rather than focus on recruiting players direct from the 'other' South American countries, I'd instead look at South American youth players already based in Spain or Portugal. There are loads with dual nationality and somewhere like Galicia (Celta Vigo and Deportivo La Coruna) has strong links with South America with the advantage that the players have at least experienced European culture.