TrueBlueArmy Forums
Why aren't people massively concerned with the state of our squad???? - Printable Version

+- TrueBlueArmy Forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com)
+-- Forum: TBA forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Play Up Pompey (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: Why aren't people massively concerned with the state of our squad???? (/showthread.php?tid=1932)

Pages: 1 2 3

RE: Why aren't people massively concerned with the state of our squad???? - WheresDave - 28-06-2022

Travel from Cape Town? where in Scum is that?

RE: Why aren't people massively concerned with the state of our squad???? - Pompeyg100 - 28-06-2022

(28-06-2022, 09:08 AM)bluetagagain Wrote: I’m not massively concerned but I am slightly concerned and a tad ‘angry/ frustrated’that we don’t have one first team striker that we own on the books and a GK that’s good enough for L1 but the club don’t want. The season starts in one month, whilst that shows there’s plenty of time for signings it’s not a lot of time to hell pre season, plus I’m willing to bet that 90% of our signings will be loans. We should be buying our own and improving them for us and not other teams.

Although I am slightly concerned, I’m still looking forward to the season and hopefully the play offs at least. PUP.

It’s not a case of the club don’t want Bass, it’s DC who doesn’t want him.

The owners agree with you regarding developing other teams players, they’ve said this publicly.

RE: Why aren't people massively concerned with the state of our squad???? - Cunninglinguist - 28-06-2022

(28-06-2022, 06:15 AM)exgaffer Wrote:
(27-06-2022, 08:29 PM)Cunninglinguist Wrote: He’s a Wum, Gaff.

Don’t rise to it and finish yer pint. What you drinking?

Actually Cunning I’ve been exercising moderation for the last few days, the weight has been going on a bit too quickly for my liking  Smile .

I’m off out for a few tonight though, I’ll let you know what beers were on.

I know what you mean. Not drunk much of late and the weight has fallen off me. Not that I’ve ever got huge but I still felt it.
French beer manufacturers are actually getting there. A bit pricey but some very nice stuff to be had. I miss Badger ales though.

RE: Why aren't people massively concerned with the state of our squad???? - bluetagagain - 28-06-2022

>The owners agree with you regarding developing other teams players, they’ve said this publicly. <

When???
If they are interested in developing our own players then we need a development team. What I don't agree with is developing other teams players.

RE: Why aren't people massively concerned with the state of our squad???? - Lawrence - 28-06-2022

I suppose people aren't 'massive concerned' because we don't have any control of decision making at PFC. The trust's influence seems to be minimal anyway, which is a shame.

I don't believe for one minute DC would give a fan of an opponent his detailed expectations of promotion and, even if he did, he's bound to say their team is going to walk the league etc. It's basically playground talk dressed up as social media.

We are not going anywhere until the owners show ambition and they have never, ever demonstrated that during their tenure. If they had they'd have bought the one or two players in a January window a few years back and we'd be comfortable in the championship. They actively avoided going up and spending a championship season in lockdown in my opinion. Instead, it's about staying put and plodding on for dear Eisner. We can only hope they are playing a fecking hardcore version of the tortoise and the hare, or another ITV Digital. DC is right that we are a stronger team that last year but that's because we had no players at all last season and were desperate for anybody. At least we have half a team this time!

DC has grown on me a bit though because you have to remember that when he played a settled team that actually knew each other we were flying from January at home (away, a different story). He gets sod all cash and has to deal with the same old questions of why aren't we buying everybody? Yes, it's annoying that other teams like Wycombe go up (with gates of 5,000 behind them), but they go soon go back down. And I can't see too many alternative managers, other than Jon Colman, who could do a good job on feck all cash and wouldn't spout the same BS.

Anyway, in conclusion, I'm a realist. You pay peanuts, you get monkeys.

RE: Why aren't people massively concerned with the state of our squad???? - Cunninglinguist - 28-06-2022

(28-06-2022, 10:53 AM)bluetagagain Wrote: >The owners agree with you regarding developing other teams players, they’ve said this publicly. <

When???
If they are interested in developing our own players then we need a development team. What I don't agree with is developing other teams players.

I am quite happy with developing other teams players, as long as we don't have an equivalent sitting in the academy. 
The problem is that we don't have an under 23 side as a next step for academy graduates. The only alternative is to send them out on loan and let other teams develop our youngsters for us. It's not a terrible system for any of the club's involved but it would be preferable to keep it in house.

RE: Why aren't people massively concerned with the state of our squad???? - Pompeyg100 - 28-06-2022

(28-06-2022, 10:53 AM)bluetagagain Wrote: >The owners agree with you regarding developing other teams players, they’ve said this publicly. <

When???

Either the 3 lads podcast or the PO4 podcast, think they said it on both to be honest.

(28-06-2022, 11:15 AM)Lawrence Wrote: I suppose people aren't 'massive concerned' because we don't have any control of decision making at PFC. The trust's influence seems to be minimal anyway, which is a shame.

I don't believe for one minute DC would give a fan of an opponent his detailed expectations of promotion and, even if he did, he's bound to say their team is going to walk the league etc. It's basically playground talk dressed up as social media.

We are not going anywhere until the owners show ambition and they have never, ever demonstrated that during their tenure. If they had they'd have bought the one or two players in a January window a few years back and we'd be comfortable in the championship. They actively avoided going up and spending a championship season in lockdown in my opinion. Instead, it's about staying put and plodding on for dear Eisner. We can only hope they are playing a fecking hardcore version of the tortoise and the hare, or another ITV Digital. DC is right that we are a stronger team that last year but that's because we had no players at all last season and were desperate for anybody. At least we have half a team this time!

DC has grown on me a bit though because you have to remember that when he played a settled team that actually knew each other we were flying from January at home (away, a different story). He gets sod all cash and has to deal with the same old questions of why aren't we buying everybody? Yes, it's annoying that other teams like Wycombe go up (with gates of 5,000 behind them), but they go soon go back down. And I can't see too many alternative managers, other than Jon Colman, who could do a good job on feck all cash and wouldn't spout the same BS.

Anyway, in conclusion, I'm a realist. You pay peanuts, you get monkeys.

I think based on your post that you aren’t a realist.

RE: Why aren't people massively concerned with the state of our squad???? - Gerry Hatrick - 28-06-2022

Only three capable players? Really? Well, it's simply a daft claim, isn't it?
In addition to Pack, Jacobs and Morrell, Alex Bass is more than capable though whether he is in Cowley's good book sis another matter.
Curtis has weighed in with more a goal in every four appearances in his four seasons with us. More than decent for a winger.
Clark Robertson was a little off form after his return from injury last season but showed a lot of quality before that.
Raggers won POTS for good reason.
Ogilvie has shown versitality at playing left-back or central.
Liam Vincent is a complete unknown force because of his devastating injury but could be considered as a new signing for this season.
Then there is Harness, frustratingly inconsistent but a top player on his day. 
Thompson bolsters our midfield options.

Clearly, our forward options at the moment are worryingly short. 
We need two strikers a keeper and another central defender, IMO. As time ticks on, more players will become availabel at the right price. Yes, it's a gamble but a lot can happen in a few days.

Concerned, yes. Hysterical? Well, give me another three weeks....

RE: Why aren't people massively concerned with the state of our squad???? - pompeypop - 28-06-2022

Totally agree Blue Army, club is a mess at the moment from the ticket office to player recruitment for a club like Pompey not to own a senior striker is embarassing and for them to keep feeding us  crap on new signings that they have done their homework and have then lined up  is just total rubbish. If Cowley did say those comments and the News should ask him he should go now.

RE: Why aren't people massively concerned with the state of our squad???? - Ain’t got a Danny - 28-06-2022

“Good man. Me too, although I've not had a st for 40 years, about half that. Renewed as always. Its in the blood. I have to travel from abroad every home game but I wouldn't have it any other way. I travel from Cape Town for every Saturday match when travel allows (give midweek games a miss unless they fall immediately after a home game and then I stay in the area).

Not sure I'll be going to many midweek games this season with the way the club are mucking fans about in the pitch, I'll just be going to weekend games I think”

Do you have your own private plane or just a sack of gold?

What posters really want to know is what was so good about the Wurzels youth set up that made you as a life long Pompey fan want to join them?

RE: Why aren't people massively concerned with the state of our squad???? - bluetagagain - 28-06-2022

For Cape Town read Somers Town or scummer town

RE: Why aren't people massively concerned with the state of our squad???? - BlueArmy - 28-06-2022

Despite Rodgers keeness to see Hirst in pre season, and with a year left on his contract, i can confirm Pompey had the opportunity to buy Hirst permanently for approximately £500,000 but we refused to pay this. Hirst wanted / wants to comeback too.

Another example of how unambitious this club is.

(28-06-2022, 05:16 PM)BlueArmy Wrote: Despite Rodgers keeness to see Hirst in pre season, and with a year left on his contract, i can confirm Pompey had the opportunity to buy Hirst permanently for approximately £500,000 but we refused to pay this. Hirst wanted / wants to comeback too.

Lol, I think everyone knows what you up to now though mate.

RE: Why aren't people massively concerned with the state of our squad???? - Pedalo_menders - 28-06-2022

Care to reveal your source Blue Army?

Nelson Mandela

RE: Why aren't people massively concerned with the state of our squad???? - Hammie - 28-06-2022

Whether I'm concerned massively or otherwise won't change a thing.
So mine's a Moretti thanks.

RE: Why aren't people massively concerned with the state of our squad???? - BlueArmy - 28-06-2022

Pedalo, you're smart enough to know it's not my place to give out names. It could leave him in a difficult position too if I did. Of course me not doing so will leave you and others to doubt the truthfulness of what I've said but that's life. It's a message board. 

I'm not here to believed, liked, or whatever. I want the club to succeed and when they deserve it, I will praise them or call them out.

Not stumping out a modest fee for a young man with a lot of potential speaks volumes for me.

I'll tell it how it is, as everyone on this board is welcome to do, and people make their own judgements.

RE: Why aren't people massively concerned with the state of our squad???? - 66zoolane - 28-06-2022

(28-06-2022, 06:11 PM)BlueArmy Wrote: I'll tell it how it is, as everyone on this board is welcome to do, and people make their own judgements.

I think most of us have Big Grin

RE: Why aren't people massively concerned with the state of our squad???? - DeepBlue - 28-06-2022

(28-06-2022, 05:16 PM)BlueArmy Wrote: Despite Rodgers keeness to see Hirst in pre season, and with a year left on his contract, i can confirm Pompey had the opportunity to buy Hirst permanently for approximately £500,000 but we refused to pay this. Hirst wanted / wants to comeback too.

S'funny.....I heard Pompey bid £500k for Hirst but Leicester said no they wanted to see him in pre-season first. 

Of course, you'll understand I can't reveal my source.

There's every chance Leicester will let him go in late July/August, but we will face competition for him so that will be the real test of just how keen he is to return.   And will we/should we leave filling that slot until Leicester make their mind up.  I'd take the risk if Cowley has got a verbal agreement with the player like he had with Morrell last summer  (although that nearly went wrong at the last minute). 

(28-06-2022, 06:37 PM)DeepBlue Wrote:

S'funny.....I heard Pompey bid £500k for Hirst but Leicester said no they wanted to see him in pre-season first. 

Of course, you'll understand I can't reveal my source.

There's every chance Leicester will let him go in late July/August, but we will face competition for him so that will be the real test of just how keen he is to return.   And will we/should we leave filling that slot until Leicester make their mind up.  I'd take the risk if Cowley has got a verbal agreement with the player like he had with Morrell last summer  (although that nearly went wrong at the last minute). 

Sorry you're wrong. Pompey have not offered Leicester anything. Pompey were quoted the price to buy and we are not willing to pay that amount.

Move on from Hirst, he's not coming here.

My sources said we offered £15m for Hirst.

RE: Why aren't people massively concerned with the state of our squad???? - Cressers - 28-06-2022

I doubt if Pompey could offer £15m when the current rebuilding at FP is costed at £10m.

(28-06-2022, 06:59 PM)Cressers Wrote: I doubt if Pompey could offer £15m when the current rebuilding at FP is costed at £10m.

It was going to be a loan from Mickey. Leicester are holding out for £15,000,001 but Pompey won’t pay it.

RE: Why aren't people massively concerned with the state of our squad???? - billyb - 28-06-2022

By my calculations, the club are 2 million+ shy of the maximum player budget they could exercise. This is based on pre-covid revenues (2020) of 11.28 million, a League One imposed cap of 60% of that, and a current playing budget of around 4.5 million. 

Is this correct?

I know it's not my money, but I would really appreciate the club using their commercial status to invest a little extra in getting us promoted. Thoughts?