TrueBlueArmy Forums
Get ready for the meltdown - Printable Version

+- TrueBlueArmy Forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com)
+-- Forum: TBA forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Play Up Pompey (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: Get ready for the meltdown (/showthread.php?tid=1938)

Pages: 1 2 3

RE: Get ready for the meltdown - Daniel - 30-06-2022

The club really need a statement signing to calm the nerves of the supporters

RE: Get ready for the meltdown - Pangus - 30-06-2022

With respect to Shrewsbury you would imagine that the only reason O'Brien would turn Pompey down is that we lost out on the wages front. If that is the case then its worrying in the extreme and may explain why we seem up to now to have been unable to even recruit any striker, not to mention one with a decent scoring record and reputation which is what we need..

As more than one poster has said: "What is going on, how come we can't seem to compete in the market"?

RE: Get ready for the meltdown - bluetagagain - 30-06-2022

I think this is Shrewsburys 3rd signing, they also got Tom Baylis from Preston on a free and a full back ( Dacosta?) on loan from Coventry. In the meantime we got a defensive midfielder ( albeit a decent one ).

RE: Get ready for the meltdown - Pompeyg100 - 30-06-2022

(30-06-2022, 03:49 PM)Pangus Wrote: With respect to Shrewsbury you would imagine that the only reason O'Brien would turn Pompey down is that we lost out on the wages front. If that is the case then its worrying in the extreme and may explain why we seem up to now to have been unable to even recruit any striker, not to mention one with a decent scoring record and reputation which is what we need..

As more than one poster has said: "What is going on, how come we can't seem to compete in the market"?

I would imagine Shrewsbury are paying wages for a starter and we are offering wages for a substitute which he was for the majority of the time with us.

I’m not sure what a players reputation has to do with it, ability is what’s required.

RE: Get ready for the meltdown - DeepBlue - 30-06-2022

(30-06-2022, 04:04 PM)Pompeyg100 Wrote:
(30-06-2022, 03:49 PM)Pangus Wrote: With respect to Shrewsbury you would imagine that the only reason O'Brien would turn Pompey down is that we lost out on the wages front. If that is the case then its worrying in the extreme and may explain why we seem up to now to have been unable to even recruit any striker, not to mention one with a decent scoring record and reputation which is what we need..

I would imagine Shrewsbury are paying wages for a starter and we are offering wages for a substitute which he was for the majority of the time with us.

I’m not sure what a players reputation has to do with it, ability is what’s required.

Rumour on FB is that Shrewsbury are giving him 7k a week.   If they think he is worth that then good luck to them, but no way was he worth being our highest paid player.  Very glad we did not give in to that sort of wages request, it shows we are bing run sensibly. 

But we do have to replace him with quality, because he was quite good when he came on.

RE: Get ready for the meltdown - Pompeyg100 - 30-06-2022

(30-06-2022, 04:12 PM)DeepBlue Wrote:
(30-06-2022, 04:04 PM)Pompeyg100 Wrote:

Rumour on FB is that Shrewsbury are giving him 7k a week.   If they think he is worth that then good luck to them, but no way was he worth being our highest paid player.  Very glad we did not give in to that sort of wages request, it shows we are bing run sensibly. 

But we do have to replace him with quality, because he was quite good when he came on.

Lol I wouldn’t listen to rumours on FB ffs.

Anyway BlueArmy I’m sure will be able to tell us all the details.

RE: Get ready for the meltdown - Gerry Hatrick - 30-06-2022

(30-06-2022, 02:03 PM)mike hunt Wrote: The trouble is the longer we go without signing a striker the more they will cost (as it looks like desperation) & if that's the case
will they want to really play for Pompey or just come for the money , like others we have signed. it feels that all our rivals are buying players yet we aren't !

Not sure I agree with that logic. If 'desperation' comes into it, that works both ways and we could end up getting someone cheaper. I have no trouble with the other logic that says that as players return to pre-seasons and their clubs weigh up possible loans, we could benefit from the waiting game. Let's see what happens in the next week.

RE: Get ready for the meltdown - bluetagagain - 30-06-2022

I’m just fed up waiting to get loanees to make up our number. How many players have we actually signed ( either free or for money ) over the last couple of seasons. I’m not counting contract renewals or January signings on an end of season contract , I mean proper 1,2 or 3 season contracts.

(30-06-2022, 06:34 PM)bluetagagain Wrote: I’m just fed up waiting to get loanees to make up our number. How many players have we actually signed ( either free or for money ) over the last couple of seasons. I’m not counting contract renewals or January signings on an end of season contract , I mean proper 1,2 or 3 season contracts.

Freeman, Robertson, Oglivie, Hume, Williams, Morrell, Tunnicliffe, Mingi, Thompson, Jacobs, Hackett (?), Vincent, Reid . 

I make that 12 or 13 but might have missed some.

and Pack

RE: Get ready for the meltdown - BlueArmy - 30-06-2022

Only three of them players are any good DB. Pack, Morrell and Jacobs. Rest of the squad is crap.

(30-06-2022, 07:21 PM)BlueArmy Wrote: Only three of them players are any good DB. Pack, Morrell and Jacobs. Rest of the squad is crap.

I'd add Ogilvie & Robertson to the 'good' list.  And I wouldn't be surprised if Reid did not join it when he gets the chance - Man Utd trained players often turn out well. 

But the question was about numbers of signings, not the quality of them.

RE: Get ready for the meltdown - Hammie - 30-06-2022

NC made it clear that he did not consider O'Brien good value and did not even want that type of striker. Indeed he didn't use him that much at the close of last season.
If O'Brein really wanted to be here he would have signed, a Pack did.
Decent player, would have been happy to see him sign but he has CHOSEN to go elsewhere.

RE: Get ready for the meltdown - fredscuttle`s hampton - 30-06-2022

(30-06-2022, 03:44 PM)Daniel Wrote: The club really need a statement signing to calm the nerves of the supporters

John Marquis?

RE: Get ready for the meltdown - Tomsk - 30-06-2022

(30-06-2022, 10:10 PM)fredscuttle`s hampton Wrote:
(30-06-2022, 03:44 PM)Daniel Wrote: The club really need a statement signing to calm the nerves of the supporters

John Marquis?

Yes why not. Impact sub on on 60 mins who's always capable of finding the net (yeah I know!). 
And it would cheer Yak up, the miserable old git.

RE: Get ready for the meltdown - Ain’t got a Danny - 30-06-2022

Back to Shrewsbury. They are owned by Shropshire businessman Paul delves (no me neither) who talks about building their fan base. Their ground doesn’t hold 10,000 and they’ve been rubbing along on gates of 6k.

Assuming he’s not discovered hidden treasure then paying inflated salaries won’t end well.

RE: Get ready for the meltdown - slayer - 30-06-2022

If the cunts just came out and said ground first, then we will challenge then we would all shut the fuck up and probably respect them for being honest. At least we would know up front that we have minimum another two years of League 1

RE: Get ready for the meltdown - Cunninglinguist - 01-07-2022

(30-06-2022, 10:06 PM)Hammie Wrote: NC made it clear that he did not consider O'Brien good value and did not even want that type of striker. Indeed he didn't use him that much at the close of last season.
If O'Brein really wanted to be here he would have signed, a Pack did.
Decent player, would have been happy to see him sign but he has CHOSEN to go elsewhere.

No need to add anything else.

RE: Get ready for the meltdown - Pompeyg100 - 01-07-2022

(30-06-2022, 11:26 PM)scumslayer Wrote: If the cunts just came out and said ground first, then we will challenge then we would all shut the fuck up and probably respect them for being honest. At least we would know up front that we have minimum another two years of League 1

But we have challenged under the Eisners.

RE: Get ready for the meltdown - Daniel - 01-07-2022

They spent money on players under jackett and all that was wasted!

Hopefully with free agents being officially out of contract today hopefully things will start to speed up

(01-07-2022, 07:28 AM)Daniel Wrote: They spent money on players under jackett and all that was wasted!

Hopefully with free agents being officially out of contract today hopefully things will start to speed up

That’s the trouble with signing players, it doesn’t all work out but they have spent to challenge.

RE: Get ready for the meltdown - Kingo - 01-07-2022

Daniel, if we were happy when Walker was signed, it was because we trusted DC's judgement of a player he'd worked with before. I'm finding it hard to maintain that trust.

RE: Get ready for the meltdown - ForeverPompey - 01-07-2022

Which Dad’s Army moment is this... ‘Don’t panic’ or ‘We’re doomed’? Probably somewhere in between but it doesn’t feel so good right now.

RE: Get ready for the meltdown - bluetagagain - 01-07-2022

TBF most of DC’s signings have been promising or have potential, he’s only got it wrong on a couple of occasions unlike Jackett who spunked money on Harrison & Marquis to name but two and only generally brought in shite in January

(01-07-2022, 08:44 AM)bluetagagain Wrote: TBF most of DC’s signings have been promising or have potential, he’s only got it wrong on a couple of occasions unlike Jackett who spunked  money on Harrison & Marquis to name but two and only generally brought in shite in January

All managers will have good and bad signings, I don’t think Kenny was any worse and DC has had his fair share, 3 without even giving it any thought.