TrueBlueArmy Forums
Goal difference - Printable Version

+- TrueBlueArmy Forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com)
+-- Forum: TBA forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Play Up Pompey (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: Goal difference (/showthread.php?tid=200)

Goal difference - countofmontecristo - 11-02-2021

Absolutely vital we keep that goal difference in place.
Craig M has made some great saves and stops this season and has 
been instrumental in this case.
It may well turn out to be so crucial for automatic promotion ( 2nd place ).
Although, still good chance to win this league, when the others slip up and we cruise on up the league !

RE: Goal difference - ForeverPompey - 11-02-2021

(11-02-2021, 09:04 AM)countofmontecristo Wrote: Absolutely vital we keep that goal difference in place.
Although, still good chance to win this league, when the others slip up and we cruise on up the league !

GD is worth an extra half point and indeed could be crucial this season as most teams look likely to lack the consistency to pull ahead by much. February looks like a month where we need to maximise points and GD.

RE: Goal difference - slayer - 11-02-2021

Defence are keeping their end up but the goalscorers aren't. We need to make games safe earlier and the number of home games where we fail to notch a single goal is criminal.

RE: Goal difference - DeepBlue - 11-02-2021

(11-02-2021, 03:56 PM)scumslayer Wrote: Defence are keeping their end up but the goalscorers aren't. We need to make games safe earlier and the number of home games where we fail to notch a single goal is criminal.

"but the goalscorers aren't" 

really ??? 

we are the top scorers in the league.

RE: Goal difference - bluetagagain - 11-02-2021

Maybe so but Harrison and Marquis are poor

RE: Goal difference - DeepBlue - 11-02-2021

(11-02-2021, 04:18 PM)bluetagagain Wrote: Maybe so but Harrison and Marquis are poor

So what ?  It matters not a jot who scores the goals, just that the team is scoring. 

And Marquis is still the 5th highest scorer in the league.

RE: Goal difference - ForeverPompey - 11-02-2021

(11-02-2021, 04:24 PM)DeepBlue Wrote:
(11-02-2021, 04:18 PM)bluetagagain Wrote: Maybe so but Harrison and Marquis are poor

So what ?  It matters not a jot who scores the goals, just that the team is scoring. 

And Marquis is still the 5th highest scorer in the league.

I guess the concern is can the strikers step up when the goals dry up from elsewhere? Marquis is long overdue a decent scoring run and as for Harrison... I think it's only 3 goals all season apart from penalties. It's fair to add for him though that he doesn't play so much and is often a sub getting 20 minutes or less.

RE: Goal difference - Isaac Hunt - 11-02-2021

Welcome back Count

RE: Goal difference - bluetagagain - 11-02-2021

> And Marquis is still the 5th highest scorer in the league.<
Maybe so but he's still awful and deserves to be dropped, and as for Harrison, Raggett is a better striker than he is.

RE: Goal difference - BilltheCat - 11-02-2021

(11-02-2021, 04:56 PM)Isaac Hunt Wrote: Welcome back Count

Who are you??  Smile

RE: Goal difference - Hammie - 12-02-2021

harrison offers an awful lot else. Although he has missed a few, I would say not very many actually. Marquis blows hot and cold, but we knew that when we signed him.
I'm not sure it is poor finishing as poor decision making which leads to a lack of the quality final ball when most of them decide to shoot instead.

RE: Goal difference - bluetagagain - 12-02-2021

It's because Marquis doesn't appear to have a natural strikers predator instinct, that coupled with not being a very good footballer is probably the reason he's very inconsistent .

RE: Goal difference - dsmg - 12-02-2021

He does seem to have two left feet lately and needs four or five chances to score one.

RE: Goal difference - bluetagagain - 12-02-2021

The thing is, Jackett will not play Hiwula unless it’s his last resort. I truly believe KJ doesn’t actually want Hiwula and only agreed to extending his loan because otherwise he ( Jackett) would be left with egg on his face if it went wrong and he hadn’t recruited a striker. Hiwula wanted to stay because a) Pompey are a good club and hopefully promotion would look good on his CV and b) in the current climate he’s getting a decent wage for not doing much at all.
Hiwula is probably 6th in line for a striking place after, Marqmiss, Harrison , Williams, Harness and Curtis. In fact It was stated in today’s News that KJ was/is going to convert Curtis into a striker. This solves another problem for Jackett as he doesn’t know who to choose between Jacobs and Curtis for the left wing role.

RE: Goal difference - mikey393 - 13-02-2021

(11-02-2021, 09:04 AM)countofmontecristo Wrote: Absolutely vital we keep that goal difference in place.

Definitely & Good to see you're reunited with the site in it's new better format.

That let us down last season as our GD as i remember was rubbish & just missed out on the autos.

RE: Goal difference - countofmontecristo - 13-02-2021

Thanks, good to be back... optimistic as usual ...
I do think we will go up this season, automatically ! no play offs !

RE: Goal difference - mikey393 - 16-02-2021

I do hope so Count!

RE: Goal difference - countofmontecristo - 24-02-2021

Well, that did not last long, looking at league now, only saving grace is we play a few teams near the lower end of the league as the season culminates. 17 matches left !! 51 points to be had ! Still think we will go up.