TrueBlueArmy Forums
Westwood again. - Printable Version

+- TrueBlueArmy Forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com)
+-- Forum: TBA forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Play Up Pompey (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: Westwood again. (/showthread.php?tid=2055)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

RE: Westwood again. - Hammie - 02-04-2023

it does feel to me that the club are actively seeking a family friendly atmosphere.
Which is fine but is rather losing the point of Fratton Park and the bear pit atmosphere.
Maybe as part of the change in price structures they can try and return to a loud section where there is a bit of give and take and other very much family friendly sections as we all grew up with really, or at least my kids did.
Mind you sitting them in the family section, feet from Alan ball's dug out might have helped them learn a wider repertoire of expletives than sitting next to me in the new Fratton End!

RE: Westwood again. - Lawrence - 02-04-2023

(02-04-2023, 04:36 AM)West Australian Portsmouth Fan Wrote: A heard a few renditions of ‘is this a library?’ on iFollow even after we scored. I wouldn’t be surprised if it was a few Pompey jokers singing it. Maybe it was some of Westwood’s match day gang rather than the Forest Green supporters, but it could easily have been them too. Was mildly amusing to hear. Beating Forest Green is like beating a small child so the atmosphere was understandably flat, I feel. Oh yeah and

BRING BACK WESTWOOD!!!!! :-)

Easy to say bring back Westwood when you live on the other side of the world.

The guy and his groupies have crushed all forms of creative chanting to the point where there's hardly anyone left to start them up. It's why we're still doing the ner ners when most other teams have long moved on. Listened to an Ipswich fan report on YouTube yesterday and they had a few original ones.

Mind you forest Green literally sucked the life out of the whole game so I doubt nothing would've roused the fans.

RE: Westwood again. - Pompeyg100 - 02-04-2023

(02-04-2023, 04:36 AM)West Australian Portsmouth Fan Wrote: A heard a few renditions of ‘is this a library?’ on iFollow even after we scored. I wouldn’t be surprised if it was a few Pompey jokers singing it. Maybe it was some of Westwood’s match day gang rather than the Forest Green supporters, but it could easily have been them too. Was mildly amusing to hear. Beating Forest Green is like beating a small child so the atmosphere was understandably flat, I feel. Oh yeah and

Fly him to you and put him up for a couple of weeks.

RE: Westwood again. - briefcase_wanchor - 02-04-2023

(02-04-2023, 03:48 PM)Pompeyg100 Wrote:

Fly him to you and put him up for a couple of weeks.

Have you seen the price of sending Neanderthals by international freight?  Another bucket collection at the next home game will be needed.

RE: Westwood again. - West Australian Portsmouth Fan - 02-04-2023

(02-04-2023, 03:18 PM)Lawrence Wrote:

Easy to say bring back Westwood when you live on the other side of the world.

The guy and his groupies have crushed all forms of creative chanting to the point where there's hardly anyone left to start them up. It's why we're still doing the ner ners when most other teams have long moved on. Listened to an Ipswich fan report on YouTube yesterday and they had a few original ones.

Mind you forest Green literally sucked the life out of the whole game so I doubt nothing would've roused the fans.

I was being sarcastic hence the smiley face

RE: Westwood again. - slayer - 03-04-2023

Drying Westwood out is the kindest way Pompey can repay his love.

RE: Westwood again. - Pompeyg100 - 03-04-2023

(03-04-2023, 08:02 AM)scumslayer Wrote: Drying Westwood out is the kindest way Pompey can repay his love.

It’s not the clubs problem.

RE: Westwood again. - Hammie - 03-04-2023

Its not, but it costs nothing to offer him support.
Alcohol is a big hidden problem around Portsmouth and any other services heavy area.

RE: Westwood again. - blueandwight - 03-04-2023

The lack of atmosphere at Fratton has precious little to do with Westwood. He's just an irritant to the supporters and an embarrassment to this great club.
It's a complicated matter but I'd say that the lack of atmosphere is due to dire football, incompetent managers, the pandemic and fear of saying (or shouting out) virtually anything in this ridiculously politically correct world. The decline in atmosphere also directly corresponds with six years of the Eisners as the fans have been starved of any sort of success.
or even occasional excitement.
Our fan base in nothing short of remarkable and I've been going for more than fifty years but just how we are getting 18,000 gates is, quite frankly, beyond me. I can remember not so many years ago when we used to get excited about a five figure gate and that was in the league they now call the Championship! I think the main reasons for our attendances are eight years in the Premier League and the 'administration years' with the genuine fear of losing the club but that surely can't go on forever.

(03-04-2023, 09:48 AM)Hammie Wrote: Its not, but it costs nothing to offer him support.
Alcohol is a big hidden problem around Portsmouth and any other services heavy area.

What sort of support doesn’t cost? It’s football club not a mental health centre ffs. He’s not even paid for a season ticket in 20 years.

Help one, help all.

(03-04-2023, 11:12 AM)blueandwight Wrote: The lack of atmosphere at Fratton has precious little to do with Westwood. He's just an irritant to the supporters and an embarrassment to this great club.
It's a complicated matter but I'd say that the lack of atmosphere is due to dire football, incompetent managers, the pandemic and fear of saying (or shouting out) virtually anything in this ridiculously politically correct world. The decline in atmosphere also directly corresponds with six years of the Eisners as the fans have been starved of any sort of success.
or even occasional excitement.
Our fan base in nothing short of remarkable and I've been going for more than fifty years but just how we are getting 18,000 gates is, quite frankly, beyond me. I can remember not so many years ago when we used to get excited about a five figure gate and that was in the league they now call the Championship! I think the main reasons for our attendances are eight years in the Premier League and the 'administration years' with the genuine fear of losing the club but that surely can't go on forever.

What are too afraid too shout at football?

RE: Westwood again. - BilltheCat - 03-04-2023

(03-04-2023, 11:12 AM)blueandwight Wrote:  fear of saying (or shouting out) virtually anything in this ridiculously politically correct world.

I merely pointed out that the atmosphere had been particularly poor during the last few games, and that the lack of John and his mates might be a contributory factor.

BUT, now I'm keen to know all the things that you feel you cannot say or shout at Fratton Park. 

Do tell.

RE: Westwood again. - BabaOReally - 03-04-2023

When the atmosphere is great it's got fuck all to do with Westwood leading anything. The goon squad just provide a generic background noise in drab games like Saturday when no one else can be arsed.

RE: Westwood again. - teeftwo - 03-04-2023

I was taking my family from a very young age to the Fratton End, family atmosphere maybe not but they certainly learnt about people* and how everyone can want the same thing whilst being radically different.

Mix with all sorts, and you'll be richer for it. I learnt how to talk to and treat people by working behind a bar for 10 years.

Westwood needs to straighten up for sure but FP doesn't need to become a school hall.

*and swearing, all the swearing

(03-04-2023, 06:25 PM)teeftwo Wrote: I was taking my family from a very young age to the Fratton End, family atmosphere maybe not but they certainly learnt about people* and how everyone can want the same thing whilst being radically different.

Mix with all sorts, and you'll be richer for it. I learnt how to talk to and treat people by working behind a bar for 10 years.

Westwood needs to straighten up for sure but FP doesn't need to become a school hall.

*and swearing, all the swearing

It doesn’t need to be a school hall but it needs to be safe for everyone and also doesn’t need drunk middle aged men going in the ladies toilets.

RE: Westwood again. - teeftwo - 03-04-2023

I agree Pompeyg100, absolutely.

RE: Westwood again. - Cunninglinguist - 03-04-2023

A continuously drunk fan, ejected from the ground and given a temporary ban, again.

Take out the ‘celebrity’ from that headline and it really isn’t complicated. What if it were someone you hadn’t heard of?

RE: Westwood again. - Hammie - 03-04-2023

Incidentally, my sons went in the family section, because I offered them the choice of come to alternate matches with me in the Fratton End or sit together every game in the family section where their tickets were half the price. They were more than happy to go there together as the seats were in such a brilliant place.

RE: Westwood again. - slayer - 04-04-2023

The "stepping down" comment really says it all. Who does he think he is?

Stepping away yes, but stepping down, fuck off.

RE: Westwood again. - Pompeyg100 - 04-04-2023

(04-04-2023, 07:59 AM)scumslayer Wrote: The "stepping down" comment really says it all. Who does he think he is?

Stepping away yes, but stepping down, fuck off.

He isn’t doing anything, he’s been banned.

RE: Westwood again. - bluetagagain - 04-04-2023

Apparently a 1 year ban , he will miss a minimum of 17 games .

https://www.portsmouth.co.uk/sport/football/portsmouth-fc/john-westwoods-portsmouth-fc-ban-extended-after-going-into-ladies-toilets-claiming-he-was-transgender-4090839

RE: Westwood again. - Bluebob - 04-04-2023

(04-04-2023, 11:00 AM)bluetagagain Wrote: Apparently a 1 year ban , he will miss a minimum of 17 games .

https://www.portsmouth.co.uk/sport/football/portsmouth-fc/john-westwoods-portsmouth-fc-ban-extended-after-going-into-ladies-toilets-claiming-he-was-transgender-4090839

The ban is to 11th of August 2023 if he plays up again then the year ban kicks into place.

RE: Westwood again. - Cressers - 04-04-2023

But what will he do while banned? Ring his bell outside FP while watching the game on his phone?

RE: Westwood again. - Hammie - 08-04-2023

the pompey support seemed subdued again yesterday, do we miss his influence (once he staggers up?)

RE: Westwood again. - slayer - 09-04-2023

No we don't. The football is simply shit and we have nothing to play for