TrueBlueArmy Forums
Bass to Sunderland - Printable Version

+- TrueBlueArmy Forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com)
+-- Forum: TBA forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Play Up Pompey (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: Bass to Sunderland (/showthread.php?tid=2058)

Pages: 1 2 3

RE: Bass to Sunderland - Cunninglinguist - 26-07-2022

No difference

Still on the bench

RE: Bass to Sunderland - Pompeyg100 - 26-07-2022

(26-07-2022, 05:25 PM)Cunninglinguist Wrote: No difference

Still on the bench

He won’t be on the bench for us though so a big difference. Champ wages too.

RE: Bass to Sunderland - DeepBlue - 26-07-2022

I didn't think you were being serious there because you made up the bit about 4th choice. 

To me it is blatantly obvious that what he needs is first team games - he would have got that at Exeter.

(26-07-2022, 05:26 PM)DeepBlue Wrote: I didn't think you were being serious there because you made up the bit about 4th choice. 

To me it is blatantly obvious that what he needs is first team games - he would have got that at Exeter.

But I didn’t make it up, he is.

You think he should fight for his mythical place with us and should celebrate being dropped.

RE: Bass to Sunderland - DeepBlue - 26-07-2022

(26-07-2022, 05:31 PM)Pompeyg100 Wrote:
(26-07-2022, 05:26 PM)DeepBlue Wrote: I didn't think you were being serious there because you made up the bit about 4th choice. 

You think he should fight for his mythical place with us and should celebrate being dropped.

Of course he's not. Had he stayed he would be second choice of three ... Olumayemi would never have signed, and the idea that he would ever be behind Steward is just fantasy.  A deliberate exaggeration. 

And where have I said he should celebrate being dropped - he should accept the decision as being the best for the team and fight for his place. It was bad luck for him last year that one of the best young keepers in the country turned up - that is not the case this season and it was no forlorn hope to prove to DC that he could play in his system.

DC has proven with Jacobs that he open to having his mind changed as a manager.  

And I still just cannot understand how you can think that benchwarming is better for him now than a first team place in League One at Exeter.  For me that is no-brainer.

He wasn’t fourth choice last year but he certainly isn’t going to be 1st choice at Sunderland.

(26-07-2022, 05:53 PM)DeepBlue Wrote:
(26-07-2022, 05:31 PM)Pompeyg100 Wrote:

Of course he's not. Had he stayed he would be second choice of three ... Olumayemi would never have signed, and the idea that he would ever be behind Steward is just fantasy.  A deliberate exaggeration. 

And where have I said he should celebrate being dropped - he should accept the decision as being the best for the team and fight for his place. It was bad luck for him last year that one of the best young keepers in the country turned up - that is not the case this season and it was no forlorn hope to prove to DC that he could play in his system.

DC has proven with Jacobs that he open to having his mind changed as a manager.  

And I still just cannot understand how you can think that benchwarming is better for him now than a first team place in League One at Exeter.  For me that is no-brainer.

He isn’t wanted by DC, there is no fight for his place, he doesn’t have a place. He is behind every keeper at Pompey, he has no place.  You weren’t happy with his attitude at being dropped and his attitude is that he wasn’t happy and rightly so, no player should be happy.

Using Jacobs as an example? He refused to play him until he had no option.  You want Bass to wait until every keeper at the club has broken legs? That’s the only time he’ll be played.

Sunderland wouldn’t be signing him unless they thought he could challenge and I’m sure will get games. I think you are a no brainer.

He will not get a game under DC.

You think he should stay here and warm the bench (that he’s not even on) than warm the bench for Sunderland. Sunderland over Pompey for him clearly.

Best he goes and we can spend the dosh.

Another successful academy graduate.

RE: Bass to Sunderland - bluetagagain - 26-07-2022

He’s gone

RE: Bass to Sunderland - Hammie - 26-07-2022

It worked well for Kevin ball a very long time ago

RE: Bass to Sunderland - Daniel - 27-07-2022

Hopefully someone coming the other way from Sunderland maybe a winger. Twitter rumours are of Jack Diamond he scored the winner for Harrogate Town
Against us and was decent

RE: Bass to Sunderland - firqdays - 27-07-2022

I do hope we included a decent 'sell-on' clause , I have a feeling this one could come back to bite us.
Somehow i think he will achieve more at Sunderland, and I give them credit for recognising his potential which says a great deal about their scouting system - bearing in mind his absence from the first team environment .
Finally, our Academy ..... once again what INCENTIVE are potential players receiving to join.
PUP

RE: Bass to Sunderland - slayer - 27-07-2022

I don't think Pompey is the answer for Bass. But I don't think Sunderland is, either.

Exeter would have been perfect.

RE: Bass to Sunderland - firqdays - 27-07-2022

Indeed "Slayer"- I thought the same about him staying on the south coast, a perfect fit.

However, it must say a lot about his intentions and ambitions.

Going to the other end of England suggests he is determined to prove people wrong!

Good luck to him.

RE: Bass to Sunderland - Cunninglinguist - 27-07-2022

(27-07-2022, 08:26 AM)firqdays Wrote: I do hope we included a decent 'sell-on' clause , I have a feeling this one could come back to bite us.
Somehow i think he will achieve more at Sunderland, and I give them credit for recognising his potential which says a great deal about their scouting system - bearing in mind his absence from the first team environment .
Finally, our Academy ..... once again what INCENTIVE are potential players receiving to join.
PUP

That they will receive training  that will help them become good enough to play for a professional league side?

RE: Bass to Sunderland - slayer - 27-07-2022

This happens a lot with Sunderland. It cannot be denied that their training facilities are amongst the best in the country. When a player sees that, they fancy it.

But is Bass falling for the glitz and the glam of the infrastructure of the club and forgetting about being a number 1?

Time will tell.

RE: Bass to Sunderland - Gerry Hatrick - 27-07-2022

Read these quotes and wondered who Cowley had just signed. 

“He’s a great kid with a fantastic attitude and an excellent work ethic. He’s extremely professional. We wish him nothing but success.”

No, they're about Alex Bass.

You have to wonder if Michael Eisner reads this stuff, scratches his head and thinks it must be 'British-thing'.

RE: Bass to Sunderland - Pompeyg100 - 27-07-2022

(27-07-2022, 01:38 PM)Gerry Hatrick Wrote: Read these quotes and wondered who Cowley had just signed. 

“He’s a great kid with a fantastic attitude and an excellent work ethic. He’s extremely professional. We wish him nothing but success.”

You have to wonder if Michael Eisner reads this stuff, scratches his head and thinks it must be 'British-thing'.

Trouble is he’s a keeper and not a sweeper. You have to be able to handle 100 back passes a game.

RE: Bass to Sunderland - Pedalo_menders - 27-07-2022

From what I've seen of Bass I am sure he will be challenging for the No.1 Jersey. He is moving to a club where the manager wants him. He didn't stand a chance with cowley 's bizarre preference to train up Premier league club players.

RE: Bass to Sunderland - Tomsk - 27-07-2022

For whatever the reason Cowley didn't fancy him so he made a big boy's decision, which is what he's paid to do.
So he's not our player any more, let's all hold our breath and count to ten, and move on.

RE: Bass to Sunderland - Cunninglinguist - 27-07-2022

Park bantam said: ↑
Bass also saved us the points on several occasions a bit rash at times but on the way to being a good keeper

Yes a few good saves, but overall I didn’t rate him at all. Seems Cowley doesn’t either as Pompey have brought another keeper in.

Two comments, from Bradford fans, shows that they were divided too.
Bearing in mind that they’ve seen him play more than we have, I’d sooner have someone who has the bulk of opinion behind them.

RE: Bass to Sunderland - Ain’t got a Danny - 27-07-2022

(27-07-2022, 01:45 PM)Pompeyg100 Wrote:
(27-07-2022, 01:38 PM)Gerry Hatrick Wrote: Read these quotes and wondered who Cowley had just signed. 

Trouble is he’s a keeper and not a sweeper. You have to be able to handle 100 back passes a game.

Until fifa get bored again and outlaw back passes to the keeper.

RE: Bass to Sunderland - Tomsk - 11-08-2022

I see Bass dropped a bit of a bollock last night, probably Cowley's fault because he wasn't very nice to him.

RE: Bass to Sunderland - Pompeyg100 - 11-08-2022

(11-08-2022, 07:02 PM)Tomsk Wrote: I see Bass dropped a bit of a bollock last night, probably Cowley's fault because he wasn't very nice to him.

Let’s not talk about Griffiths distribution then.

RE: Bass to Sunderland - Cunninglinguist - 11-08-2022

Gronkowski said:
Hes like a Lee Camp Jason Steele hybrid
If he is our backup keeper for the rest of the season we could be in a bit of bother like.