TrueBlueArmy Forums
Bass to Sunderland - Printable Version

+- TrueBlueArmy Forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com)
+-- Forum: TBA forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Play Up Pompey (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: Bass to Sunderland (/showthread.php?tid=2058)

Pages: 1 2 3

RE: Bass to Sunderland - Pompeyg100 - 11-08-2022

(11-08-2022, 09:19 PM)Cunninglinguist Wrote: Gronkowski said:
Hes like a Lee Camp Jason Steele hybrid
If he is our backup keeper for the rest of the season we could be in a bit of bother like.

Written off after 90mins…..

RE: Bass to Sunderland - Isaac Hunt - 12-08-2022

Apart from which he wasn't that much involved in the game. So didn't have chance to show his keeping skills

RE: Bass to Sunderland - Pedalo_menders - 12-08-2022

You could make the argument that if he was given the same development opportunity as Bazunu was, Bass would be much further along his development path than he currently is.

The whole point is that young players need game time to improve. So why did Cowley waste a season developing bazunu when we should have been improving our own player? It doesn't matter if Cowley wanted to keep him or not. You improve the player so he is worth more to sell or you improve the player so he improves your team.

RE: Bass to Sunderland - West Australian Portsmouth Fan - 12-08-2022

I can only imagine the difference wages between what he’s going to get at Sunderland and what he would have got at Exeter or what he was getting with us was a major factor in his decision. He’s probably doubled his wage but obviously none of us are privy to that sort of info

RE: Bass to Sunderland - Pompeyg100 - 12-08-2022

(12-08-2022, 01:05 PM)West Australian Portsmouth Fan Wrote: I can only imagine the difference wages between what he’s going to get at Sunderland and what he would have got at Exeter or what he was getting with us was a major factor in his decision. He’s probably doubled his wage but obviously none of us are privy to that sort of info

And moving up the leagues, better training facilities, better coaching…..

RE: Bass to Sunderland - Cunninglinguist - 12-08-2022

(12-08-2022, 12:56 PM)Pedalo_menders Wrote: You could make the argument that if he was given the same development opportunity as Bazunu was, Bass would be much further along his development path than he currently is.

The whole point is that young players need game time to improve. So why did Cowley waste a season developing bazunu when we should have been improving our own player? It doesn't matter if Cowley wanted to keep him or not. You improve the player so he is worth more to sell or you improve the player so he improves your team.

Bazunu was brought in for one season to help get us up. Unfortunately, so was Hirst and (for shorter period) Walker. One played for half a season and one didn’t play at all. It was a gamble that didn’t pay off.

I really don’t see anything wrong with playing a far better player than what we have. If I had Harry Kane at my disposal, Bishop would be on the bench.

As for developing a player, what does that consist of? Was Bazunu a better player at the end of the season? I don’t think so. He was class from the word go.

RE: Bass to Sunderland - billyb - 12-08-2022

(12-08-2022, 06:21 PM)Cunninglinguist Wrote:
(12-08-2022, 12:56 PM)Pedalo_menders Wrote: You could make the argument that if he was given the same development opportunity as Bazunu was, Bass would be much further along his development path than he currently is.

Bazunu was brought in for one season to help get us up. Unfortunately, so was Hirst and (for shorter period) Walker. One played for half a season and one didn’t play at all. It was a gamble that didn’t pay off.

I really don’t see anything wrong with playing a far better player than what we have. If I had Harry Kane at my disposal, Bishop would be on the bench.

As for developing a player, what does that consist of? Was Bazunu a better player at the end of the season? I don’t think so. He was class from the word go.
Bazunu wasn't worth 15M one year ago. He was a better player after he played a season for us.

RE: Bass to Sunderland - Cunninglinguist - 13-08-2022

He let in four goals after he was sold for 15m.

Just because Scum paid 15m, it doesn’t prove he’s suddenly a better player.

Don’t be fooled by the price tag, we paid a million for Marquis and half that for Bishop.

RE: Bass to Sunderland - The Realist - 13-08-2022

TBH I have always liked Bass but recognise he is some way from the type of keeper to build a promotion push on (and is no where near as good as Baz). I think that DC (and the owners) are genuinely looking to mount a promotion challenge and so they have a choice - develop Bass by playing him knowing he will probably be inconsistent or bring in a better keeper. It did n't pay off last season but might this year (although the jury is out on Griffiths).

RE: Bass to Sunderland - Pompeyg100 - 13-08-2022

(13-08-2022, 05:04 AM)Cunninglinguist Wrote: He let in four goals after he was sold for 15m.

Don’t be fooled by the price tag, we paid a million for Marquis and half that for Bishop.

But Bishop hasn’t (yet) done what Marquis did for Pompey, 14 goals and then 18 goals, not a bad record.

RE: Bass to Sunderland - Hermann's_no_hermit - 13-08-2022

(13-08-2022, 09:52 AM)Pompeyg100 Wrote:
(13-08-2022, 05:04 AM)Cunninglinguist Wrote: He let in four goals after he was sold for 15m.

But Bishop hasn’t (yet) done what Marquis did for Pompey, 14 goals and then 18 goals, not a bad record.
He already looks a better player IMO

(13-08-2022, 11:13 AM)Hermann's_no_hermit Wrote:
(13-08-2022, 09:52 AM)Pompeyg100 Wrote:

He already looks a better player IMO

Let’s hope he scores lots of goals then and proves it.

RE: Bass to Sunderland - bluetagagain - 13-08-2022

The only footballer masquerading as a striker worse than Marquis in recent years was Jimmy Gilligan.
Regardless of goals and only based on a handful of games I'd have Bishop oner Marqmiss any day.

RE: Bass to Sunderland - foxleyblue - 13-08-2022

especially as he scored the only goal so far today.

RE: Bass to Sunderland - foxleyblue - 13-08-2022

he's scored two now...0-2

RE: Bass to Sunderland - Cunninglinguist - 13-08-2022

Pompey were better than Cheltenham but less convincing as the half went on.

Pompey look like a team with ability but not playing like champions, yet.

RE: Bass to Sunderland - bluebollox - 13-08-2022

(13-08-2022, 02:09 PM)bluetagagain Wrote: The only footballer masquerading as a striker worse than Marquis in recent years was Jimmy Gilligan.
Regardless of goals and only based on a handful of games I'd have Bishop oner Marqmiss any day.

Karadas was woeful, dont get me started on Collins (ten bellies)Mbesuma

(13-08-2022, 04:00 PM)Cunninglinguist Wrote: Pompey were better than Cheltenham but less convincing as the half went on.

Pompey look like a team with ability but not playing like champions, yet.

I don’t think it was even our strongest starting 11, lots more to come from this team

RE: Bass to Sunderland - Hammie - 13-08-2022

it does help a main striker if he gets penalties to put away too

RE: Bass to Sunderland - Northstander - 13-08-2022

(13-08-2022, 04:01 PM)bluebollox Wrote:
(13-08-2022, 02:09 PM)bluetagagain Wrote: The only footballer masquerading as a striker worse than Marquis in recent years was Jimmy Gilligan.

Karadas was woeful, dont get me started on Collins (ten bellies)Mbesuma

Nor me on Donkey Baird, Hamilton Thorp, Lee Mills and a few more I've forgotten lol