TrueBlueArmy Forums
New striker on loan coming - Printable Version

+- TrueBlueArmy Forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com)
+-- Forum: TBA forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Play Up Pompey (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: New striker on loan coming (/showthread.php?tid=2070)

Pages: 1 2 3

RE: New striker on loan coming - mikey393 - 28-07-2022

He won't be a starter unless injuries but could make an impact from the bench. As long as he's used correctly. Azeez wasn't given a decent run.

RE: New striker on loan coming - BigSmokeBlue - 28-07-2022

I know Azeez was a bit of a flop, but I believe Dane Scarlett is an altogether different prospect and won we should be excited about. Especially when you have Antonio Conte singing his praises...

https://www.hampshirelive.news/sport/fo ... am-7391752

RE: New striker on loan coming - Isaac Hunt - 28-07-2022

Scarlett told Pompey’s official site: ‘This is an ambitious club with plenty of history and so I see a real opportunity for me at Pompey.

RE: New striker on loan coming - firqdays - 28-07-2022

As ever, 'the proof of the pudding '.

I think we are all thinking the same thing - will our new starlet be able to cope with the treatment he will receive in the EFL ?

Only time will tell , but I would guess that first opportunity might appear off the bench V Lincoln - if things are going well!

RE: New striker on loan coming - DeepBlue - 28-07-2022

(28-07-2022, 11:17 AM)Isaac Hunt Wrote:
(28-07-2022, 11:07 AM)DeepBlue Wrote: Going out on loan is good life experience for any young player, irrespective of how many games they start. 

Training and working in a different environment with different players widens their experience.  

Azeez for instance probably learnt more about himself by failing to make the impact he expected here than he would have done if he had played more. May just have stopped him becoming another arrogant big bollox premier player.

Scarlett may not start many games, but he will get loads of sub appearances and far more minutes n the pitch than he would get at Tottenham.

Is that what we are now then? life coaches to prem nippers

Yes, in the same way as the likes of Bognor are life coaches to our nippers.  

I don't see any problem with that. Surely it is better for all young players at any level to get games somewhere else than sit unused at their host clubs. And better for the lower league clubs to have better players playing for them, raising the standards in the lower leagues.  

Some of England's best players have benefited from loans early in their career - Beckham, Lampard, Defoe, Kane etc. 

Abolishing the loan system totally would finish the careers of hundreds of youngsters because their chances to develop would be reduced. But I agree the system needs reform, and clubs should be limited much more in the number of loans they can have and the prem clubs should be more limited in the number of loans they can send out.

Yes but they all played week in week out.
Not relying on an injury to one of those in front of him.

Why would abolishing loans finish hundreds of careers ?

RE: New striker on loan coming - Cunninglinguist - 28-07-2022

Wouldn’t reducing the loan system merely reduce the opportunities of these youngsters?
It’s a halfway house to abolishing it, isn’t it?

RE: New striker on loan coming - Northstander - 28-07-2022

I remember Michael Thomas playing a handful of games for us on loan. Didn't do him any harm

No of course not, but wasn't he only here for a month and played 3 games

(28-07-2022, 01:02 PM)Cunninglinguist Wrote: Wouldn’t reducing the loan system merely reduce the opportunities of these youngsters?

Absolutely and most of these youngsters are living in a false world anyway.
There is a finite number clubs, so if the loan system were to be abolished the lads would trickle down finding there correct level.
Clubs like Porchester for example would benefit from the trickle down because less lads would be hoovered up by the big boys

I suppose in the good old days clubs would have reserves and A teams with many of those being part time.

RE: New striker on loan coming - DeepBlue - 28-07-2022

(28-07-2022, 01:02 PM)Cunninglinguist Wrote: Wouldn’t reducing the loan system merely reduce the opportunities of these youngsters?

Yes ...it's a halfway house.

That was the idea, an acceptance than the loan system is important for the development of players but detrimental to clubs and the game if it is over used, and IMO 5 players in one team is an over use of the system, and Chelsea having 20 or so players out on loan not good for the game or the youngsters because they hoover up all the talent in the south and then discard them.  That is not good for the players or the game.

RE: New striker on loan coming - Pompeyg100 - 28-07-2022

If we spend millions on the academy, how often are we going to produce a player not already snapped up by a Prem academy and who is better than someone we can get on loan from a top 6 Prem side?

So yes ,scrap the loan system and we will benefit from the increased pool of talent

(28-07-2022, 01:24 PM)Isaac Hunt Wrote: No of course not, but wasn't he only here for a month and played 3 games

Yes and that was it, he was back to Arsenal and the rest is history.  Two of the many loans here I recall,  Jonathan Hogg who played 19 times for us on loan from Villa.  He was iin the Huddersfield team who lost to Forest in the play off final this May.  George Thorne who appeared 14 times for us on loan from West Brom. His career was blighted with injury,, sad as he was one of the best since our PL days for me.

RE: New striker on loan coming - slayer - 28-07-2022

Just watched a promo video of this Scarlett lad and I can see where the hype comes from. He looks and moves like a baby Jermaine Defoe. 12 months into the future we could all be saying George who? Interesting signing

Mourinho thought a lot of him when he was at Spurs. He has bags of promise for sure

(28-07-2022, 01:49 PM)Northstander Wrote:
(28-07-2022, 01:24 PM)Isaac Hunt Wrote: No of course not, but wasn't he only here for a month and played 3 games

Yes and that was it, he was back to Arsenal and the rest is history.  Two of the many loans here I recall,  Jonathan Hogg who played 19 times for us on loan from Villa.  He was iin the Huddersfield team who lost to Forest in the play off final this May.  George Thorne who appeared 14 times for us on loan from West Brom. His career was blighted with injury,, sad as he was one of the best since our PL days for me.

Well of course the best loanee IMHO was Ben Thompson, but he was a tad older than a Prem nipper

FFS where is the father of the forum to put us all right.

RE: New striker on loan coming - ForeverPompey - 28-07-2022

Whatever the merits or otherwise we surely cannot pass up the chance to instantly make Scarlett captain.

RE: New striker on loan coming - Isaac Hunt - 29-07-2022

(28-07-2022, 08:04 PM)ForeverPompey Wrote: Whatever the merits or otherwise we surely cannot pass up the chance to instantly make Scarlett captain.

Would be a Plum role, he would be Mustard

RE: New striker on loan coming - Isaac Hunt - 29-07-2022

That was my thinking ,so who do you think will be the bench warmer ?

RE: New striker on loan coming - ForeverPompey - 29-07-2022

(29-07-2022, 01:02 PM)Isaac Hunt Wrote:
(28-07-2022, 08:04 PM)ForeverPompey Wrote: Whatever the merits or otherwise we surely cannot pass up the chance to instantly make Scarlett captain.

Haha, excellent... and recent loan signings have included Andre Green, Harvey White and Dane Scarlett.... definitely anyone for Cluedo!

RE: New striker on loan coming - DeepBlue - 29-07-2022

(29-07-2022, 01:10 PM)Isaac Hunt Wrote: That was my thinking ,so who do you think will be the bench warmer ?

Scarlett will be on the bench. 

Pigott & Bishop are nailed on certainties to be our front two if fit, certainly ahead of an untried 18 year old kid. DC would never have accepted any conditions on any  loan - he announced that last year when rumours arose about the game time he was giving to the hopeless Hirst before Christmas.  

Scarlett will get plenty of game time from the bench, but will have to do very well to push for a first choice place. He has been signed as a backup.

RE: New striker on loan coming - Jizbag - 29-07-2022

(29-07-2022, 01:02 PM)Isaac Hunt Wrote:

He may be a bit green at the moment...