TrueBlueArmy Forums
Wednesday thoughts - Printable Version

+- TrueBlueArmy Forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com)
+-- Forum: TBA forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Play Up Pompey (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: Wednesday thoughts (/showthread.php?tid=2076)

Pages: 1 2

Wednesday thoughts - Theyak2 - 30-07-2022

We had to quieten down the Wednesday fans at the start. We never managed that and conceded from first real attack!
For the next 35 minutes we couldn't really live with the occasion and them. The only plus was we didn't concede a 2nd or 3rd.
It looked like a long afternoon but the 2nd half saw a complete change. Darren Moore who was an immense centre back has 3 idiots working for him presently.
Pompey found the space behind their wing backs and literally looked like scoring everytime we went forward. Their crowd were flaky and quiet and their 2nd goal was against the run of play but worthy of an entrance fee.
Kicked off again and Pompey, sh1t in the first half took them apart and were well worth not only a second equaliser but the lead itself. We could have scored a 4th as well and would have been worth it too.
How did the lad in Wednesdays back 3 not concede a penalty with an air kick that was so dangerous the crowd collectively drained the oxygen from the stadium. The ref let them out of jail with that although it has to be said his reffing was questionable even if he did try to play on
Back came Wednesday with another great goal that could've taken the net off but they finished with some shocking tackling that should have seen more than one sent off.
They held on with Curtis going very close to taking all 3 points.
Conclusions
Wednesday will crucify some teams if they can play a full 90minutes. However the 50p heads they've got at the back mean that teams will realise they are league 1 for a reason, they are sh1t in defence and wing backs is luxury they are not good enough to have. Deal with crosses at source or concede.
Cowley saw this and got Pompey on the front foot. We looked far better in the 2nd half and deserved the draw if not better in the end.
We still need more pace but goals are in this side and a good season beckons

RE: Wednesday thoughts - Pedalo_menders - 30-07-2022

Chomping at the bit to see today's highlights. Glad they managed to turn around the 1st half. I think most of us would have bitten your arm off for a point today.

We are off the mark.

RE: Wednesday thoughts - Hermann's_no_hermit - 30-07-2022

(30-07-2022, 04:37 PM)Theyak2 Wrote: We had to quieten down the Wednesday fans at the start. We never managed that and conceded from first real attack!
For the next 35 minutes we couldn't really live with the occasion and them. The only plus was we didn't concede a 2nd or 3rd.
It looked like a long afternoon but the 2nd half saw a complete change. Darren Moore who was an immense centre back has 3 idiots working for him presently.
Pompey found the space behind their wing backs and literally looked like scoring everytime we went forward. Their crowd were flaky and quiet and their 2nd goal was against the run of play but worthy of an entrance fee.
Kicked off again and Pompey, sh1t in the first half took them apart and were well worth not only a second equaliser but the lead itself. We could have scored a 4th as well and would have been worth it too.
How did the lad in Wednesdays back 3 not concede a penalty with an air kick that was so dangerous the crowd collectively drained the oxygen from the stadium. The ref let them out of jail with that although it has to be said his reffing was questionable even if he did try to play on
Back came Wednesday with another great goal that could've taken the net off but they finished with some shocking tackling that should have seen more than one sent off.
Conclusions
Wednesday will crucify some teams if they can play a full 90minutes. However the 50p heads they've got at the back mean that teams will realise they are league 1 for a reason, they are sh1t in defence and wing backs is luxury they are not good enough to have. Deal with crosses at source or concede.
Cowley saw this and got Pompey on the front foot. We looked far better in the 2nd half and deserved the draw if not better in the end.
Good match report Yak. Bill take note.

RE: Wednesday thoughts - essentialmix75 - 30-07-2022

(30-07-2022, 04:37 PM)Theyak2 Wrote: We had to quieten down the Wednesday fans at the start. We never managed that and conceded from first real attack!
Conclusions

Well done my man. Hopefully you have a great journey home. 

Thanks for the report... Watch out The News... Real fans with real reports!!!....

RE: Wednesday thoughts - bluetagagain - 30-07-2022

Your Player ratings please Yak

RE: Wednesday thoughts - Daniel - 30-07-2022

Probably the hardest away game of the season! As they say draw your away games win your home

RE: Wednesday thoughts - Hammie - 30-07-2022

I just listened to the Solent Forum thing from last Wednesday.
Cowley identified last season's team as lacking experienced characters for when the going got tough away from home. Hence the signing of Morrison (and Pack?)
I imagine the away challenge won't get much bigger than half time today, so that looks like some really good business already.
According to Whitts, the front two really changed how they worked together and off of each other in the second half. Good performance by Curtis on his wrong wing too.

A very encouraging start, must have been great for those who travelled who must have been pretty worried at half time.

RE: Wednesday thoughts - WheresDave - 30-07-2022

(30-07-2022, 06:24 PM)Hammie Wrote: I just listened to the Solent Forum thing from last Wednesday.
Cowley identified last season's team as lacking experienced characters for when the going got tough away from home. Hence the signing of Morrison (and Pack?)
I imagine the away challenge won't get much bigger than half time today, so that looks like some really good business already.
According to Whitts, the front two really changed how they worked together and off of each other in the second half. Good performance by Curtis on his wrong wing too.

A very encouraging start, must have been great for those who travelled who must have been pretty worried at half time.

Fuck Wednesday its Saturday shant on

RE: Wednesday thoughts - BlueArmy - 31-07-2022

Good away result. Unexpected. We will finish top 10 but still not strong enough for top 6. Another 3 or 4 good signings and we can finish top 6.

RE: Wednesday thoughts - exterminator - 31-07-2022

(31-07-2022, 09:02 AM)BlueArmy Wrote: Good away result. Unexpected. We will finish top 10 but still not strong enough for top 6. Another 3 or 4 good signings and we can finish top 6.

In the  other thread you said that we would get beaten 4-0, your prediction turned out well Big Grin

I reckon with  just 2 more additions we will do extremely well this season. 

1982/3 we won same division - what a 125th birthday it would be to do same 40 yrs later in 2022/23.

RE: Wednesday thoughts - bluetagagain - 31-07-2022

BlueArmy I don’t think your stinking lot play until next week.

RE: Wednesday thoughts - Pompeyg100 - 31-07-2022

(31-07-2022, 09:02 AM)BlueArmy Wrote: Good away result. Unexpected. We will finish top 10 but still not strong enough for top 6. Another 3 or 4 good signings and we can finish top 6.

I thought we were in a relegation battle?

RE: Wednesday thoughts - slayer - 31-07-2022

What a tear up! Three headers!

RE: Wednesday thoughts - Tomsk - 31-07-2022

(31-07-2022, 11:35 AM)Pompeyg100 Wrote:

We are, we're only a point off the bottom of the table

RE: Wednesday thoughts - TBP - 31-07-2022

(31-07-2022, 01:22 PM)Tomsk Wrote:
(31-07-2022, 11:35 AM)Pompeyg100 Wrote:

We are, we're only a point off the bottom of the table

We were 21st yesterday.

RE: Wednesday thoughts - Jezzer - 31-07-2022

(31-07-2022, 09:52 AM)exterminator Wrote:

In the  other thread you said that we would get beaten 4-0, your prediction turned out well Big Grin

1982/3 we won same division - what a 125th birthday it would be to do same 40 yrs later in 2022/23.
We have Robertson and Morrell to come back in, let's not forget that, and if the Scarlett lad starts producing from the bench we can be optimistic.  Wouldn't say no to a couple of new additions, however, especially someone who plays wide and has pace to burn.  Before criticising the defence too much let's also not forget that Morrsion has only been here a week and Raggett was patched up and short of game time. My glass very much fuller than a couple of weeks ago - now let's go out and give Lincoln a bashing.

RE: Wednesday thoughts - Rescue Dog - 31-07-2022

Great to see 3 goals from 3 good crosses. This season promises to be more entertaining than the previous few 

Big Grin PUP

Saw this assessment from a Wednesday fan which amused...
"Decent first half...Then Pompey came out second half and decided to try 'Crossing the ball' into the box....
Wednesday were not expecting such a sophisticated tactic ffs"

RE: Wednesday thoughts - Pompeytel - 31-07-2022

Might be harsh but I thought the goalie should have saved their second, but I think a draw was a good result .

RE: Wednesday thoughts - bluetagagain - 31-07-2022

That’s what I thought but it did bounce in front of him.

Haaland missed an open goal, shit sometimes happens

RE: Wednesday thoughts - Smirnoffexpress - 31-07-2022

A great season and what a day out to see us win it at Plymouth.

RE: Wednesday thoughts - farq2 - 31-07-2022

(31-07-2022, 07:16 PM)Smirnoffexpress Wrote:

A great season and what a day out to see us win it at Plymouth.
A day of carnage

RE: Wednesday thoughts - exterminator - 31-07-2022

Yes, Sat 14th May 1983- I was one of about 10,000 PFC supporters there to see Alan Biley send us all wild !!

I've still got the Sports Mail/ Football Mail from that day somewhere no t'internet or mobile phones in those days

RE: Wednesday thoughts - Lt Dan - 31-07-2022

(31-07-2022, 08:49 PM)exterminator Wrote: Yes, Sat 14th May 1983- I was one of about 10,000 PFC supporters there  to see  Alan Biley send us all wild !!

I've still got the Sports Mail/ Football Mail from that day somewhere no t'internet or mobile phones in those days

That was a great day for Pompey fans... but not so great for Stonehenge, several sheep, the football special and everything else that got sprayed blue on the journey down.  Big Grin