TrueBlueArmy Forums
Watford is where its at - Printable Version

+- TrueBlueArmy Forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com)
+-- Forum: TBA forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Play Up Pompey (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: Watford is where its at (/showthread.php?tid=211)

Watford is where its at - Hammie - 16-02-2021

We used to criticise as we only bought in ex pompey players to manage around the place. 
I'm not convinced that picking ex Watford players is any better a plan. 

I really hope life after Kenny might leave a little room for some blue blood to return.

RE: Watford is where its at - Isaac Hunt - 16-02-2021

Who would you recommend ?

RE: Watford is where its at - bluetagagain - 16-02-2021

Ex managers Avram Grant, Appleton. Not sure any ex Pompey spring to mind. Wouldn't want Sol or James & Herman. Kit Symons maybe or Darren Moore.

RE: Watford is where its at - slayer - 16-02-2021

I reckon in another five years time, Matty Taylor might be worth a shout. He's done his coaching badges and is currently earning his stripes at Spurs.

RE: Watford is where its at - Tufnell_Chimes - 16-02-2021

Gary O. They seem very happy with what he'd doing with Liverpool's under-23s

RE: Watford is where its at - Isaac Hunt - 16-02-2021

Darren Moore,Gary O both good shouts

RE: Watford is where its at - Gerry Hatrick - 16-02-2021

How many Watford players has KJ recruited then? Maybe 2% of the entire intake under his rein.
Why do we want ex-players to return? Makes no sense.

RE: Watford is where its at - DeepBlue - 16-02-2021

(16-02-2021, 08:45 AM)Hammie Wrote: We used to criticise as we only bought in ex pompey players to manage around the place. 
I'm not convinced that picking ex Watford players is any better a plan. 

I really hope life after Kenny might leave a little room for some blue blood to return.

One question .... 

in the history of the club have we ever had success with a manager who was an ex-player ?

Romantic though the notion is, the fact is that ex-players don't lead to success - just ask Andy Awford & Guy Whittingham.

Let's make new Pompey legends like we did with Frank Burrows, Bobby Campbell, Jim Smith, Harry Redknapp (?), even Paul Cook by appointing the best manager for the job whenever we need one, not making the choice on sentiment alone. Yes, it could be that an ex-player is the best for the job but lets pick them because they are best for the job not because they are ex-Pompey.

RE: Watford is where its at - bluebollox - 16-02-2021

(16-02-2021, 09:42 AM)bluetagagain Wrote: Ex managers Avram Grant, Appleton. Not sure any ex Pompey spring to mind. Wouldn't want Sol or James & Herman. Kit Symons maybe or Darren Moore.

Appleton or Moore I'd be more than happy with. As much as I like Avram his links with Zahavi would rule that out.

RE: Watford is where its at - Hammie - 16-02-2021

I was thinking more down the system at youth level. Where we did have some good success with players with a little more local knowledge and contacts. It was a shame we made Awford manager when we did as the youth system was running the best for a long time under him and Hards.