TrueBlueArmy Forums
The Academy - Printable Version

+- TrueBlueArmy Forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com)
+-- Forum: TBA forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Play Up Pompey (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: The Academy (/showthread.php?tid=2143)

The Academy - mikey393 - 17-08-2022

Does anyone know where we're at with this at present? The owners have stated they want to develop it but not seen anything since but may have missed it.

I watched on C4 last Friday: https://www.channel4.com/programmes/football-dreams-the-academy 

This really gives an insight into how one really works & is run efficiently. 

Yes, it's a Premier League Club - Crystal Palace but I thought it was really informative showing the young players in the U/12s & U/13s playing theit hearts out for a contract. The coaches really guiding the young players & their families.

We really need something better than we have now in place so we can grow our own talent for the 1st team squad & some to sell on for good fees.

It's certainly worth a watch & really something the owners should be aware of as well.

Be good to see what everyone thinks?

Also, I'll actually be at the match on Saturday in the North stand writing copious notes on all the players officials.

PUP!

RE: The Academy - Northstander - 17-08-2022

I know Greg Miller has been in charge for over a year now, Liam Daish has departed, he had plenty to say when he did. An ex Fulham and QPR defender Zesh Rehman has come in, he was in charge when the u18s lost 2.0 to Bournemouth on Saturday at Cams Alders. Joe Laidlaw's Grandson Harvey Laidlaw played. Whether anything has changed long term I would like to know too Mikey I'll be in the NSL too Saturday and maybe I'll see you writing those copious notes

RE: The Academy - mikey393 - 17-08-2022

(17-08-2022, 03:34 PM)Northstander Wrote: I know Greg Miller has been in charge for over a year now, Liam Daish has departed, he had plenty to say when he did. An ex Fulham and QPR defender Zesh Rehman has come in, he was in charge when the u18s lost 2.0 to Bournemouth on Saturday at Cams Alders.  Joe Laidlaw's Grandson Harvey Laidlaw played. Whether anything has changed long term I would like to know too Mikey  I'll be in the NSL too Saturday and maybe I'll see you writing those copious notes

Thanks for the information North. I'll try to wear a stand out cap or something!

RE: The Academy - Pompeyg100 - 17-08-2022

showing the young players in the U/12s & U/13s playing theit hearts out for a contract.

No 11 year old should be playing for a contract, it’s fucking disgusting.

RE: The Academy - mikey393 - 17-08-2022

(17-08-2022, 05:38 PM)Pompeyg100 Wrote: showing the young players in the U/12s & U/13s playing theit hearts out for a contract.

Too much pressure at that age. You can watch last Friday's episode on C4 Hub

RE: The Academy - Pompeyg100 - 17-08-2022

(17-08-2022, 06:32 PM)mikey393 Wrote:
(17-08-2022, 05:38 PM)Pompeyg100 Wrote: showing the young players in the U/12s & U/13s playing theit hearts out for a contract.

I bet they are banned from playing in their school team too?

RE: The Academy - Hammie - 17-08-2022

(17-08-2022, 06:43 PM)Pompeyg100 Wrote:
(17-08-2022, 06:32 PM)mikey393 Wrote:

I bet they are banned from playing in their school team too?

Awful when that happens, especially as so few make it in the end anyhow. Mind you the 11 year olds often have to play on full size pitches at school and full size goals, which is equally daft and just encourages the bigger children and hoof ball.

RE: The Academy - Isley46 - 18-08-2022

Since they opened the new Academy training ground Palace is now classed as a CAT 1 and as such receives about £4.2M per year from the League to run it's academy.

Wasn't always like that though and was CAT 2 beforehand with the academy training being held at a number of locations across South London (Beckenham Goals being one of them) - Before the new training ground was built I would say facilities wise Palace was on par with Pompey and the reputation of the coaches etc wasn't great at Palace.

I watched the program and from the content thought it was a little stereotypical of the kid from a poor background pushing (or being pushed) into the football dream.

Didn't show any of the educational support that the academy system offers or the fact that the goal of the academy is to turn out high quality professional footballers for the game and not just for the club (hence the funding by the league).

Palace spent a lot on reaching CAT 1 to compete with Chelsea, Arsenal, Tottenham and Fulham who would attract most of the top talent away from them with their facilities and set ups.

I think the Pompey academy is going through a transition - the only thing holding them back from applying for CAT 2 would be the facilities (I think you need an indoor dome and additional training pitches etc) as all of the backroom operations seem to be in place. The guys who have recently been brought in all have experience of CAT 1 academies (Villa, Fulham, Reading*) and I believe one of the aims is to expand the scouting way past the immediate catchment area into London.

* Reading recently were demoted to CAT 2

RE: The Academy - Daniel - 18-08-2022

You’ve also got to remember that the academy was never going to change over night eisners ow owned the club what 5/6 years now kids coming through Toby Stewart, Dan Gifford, haji, jewel-white and a couple more that don’t remember. I’d imagine these kids came into the club 5/6 years ago?

RE: The Academy - mikey393 - 18-08-2022

(18-08-2022, 11:49 AM)Isley46 Wrote: Since they opened the new Academy training ground Palace is now classed as a CAT 1 and as such receives about £4.2M per year from the League to run it's academy.

Wasn't always like that though and was CAT 2 beforehand with the academy training being held at a number of locations across South London (Beckenham Goals being one of them) - Before the new training ground was built I would say facilities wise Palace was on par with Pompey and the reputation of the coaches etc wasn't great at Palace.

I watched the program and from the content thought it was a little stereotypical of the kid from a poor background pushing (or being pushed) into the football dream.

Didn't show any of the educational support that the academy system offers or the fact that the goal of the academy is to turn out high quality professional footballers for the game and not just for the club (hence the funding by the league).

Palace spent a lot on reaching CAT 1 to compete with Chelsea, Arsenal, Tottenham and Fulham who would attract most of the top talent away from them with their facilities and set ups.

I think the Pompey academy is going through a transition - the only thing holding them back from applying for CAT 2 would be the facilities (I think you need an indoor dome and additional training pitches etc) as all of the backroom operations seem to be in place. The guys who have recently been brought in all have experience of CAT 1 academies (Villa, Fulham, Reading*) and I believe one of the aims is to expand the scouting way past the immediate catchment area into London.

* Reading recently were demoted to CAT 2

Very good post Isley with lots of information there. This is a series of episodes - Nexy one 9 pm. tomorrow night on C4. 
Good input from the owner, manager & coaches.
The facility looks brand spanking new & with £4.2M from the league I can see why they've pushed ahead with the project.
Professional football is a tough game & the kids know only a few make it but the club do try to look after them & their families. Bola is a good ex he was injured for a while so they weren't sure about him so they've given him another 3 months to prove himself.
One thing that struck me was the sheer determination of the kids to try to make it.
I found it compulsive viewing so watched it twice.
I believe as a club it gives us something to aim for in the next 5 years as it has to be the way forward.

RE: The Academy - Hammie - 18-08-2022

Its seriously difficult to find space for that on Portsea island, especially with the council under huge pressure from the government to build tens of thousands of new houses.
I'm sure there are many eyes on St John's playing fields with the school closing and the La Salle Brothers needing money as part of the Roman Catholic cash raising drive to pay for past misdemeanors by priests!

RE: The Academy - Isley46 - 18-08-2022

Millwall are looking to build a new training ground and bring the whole operation together (first team and Academy) and as far as I'm aware the have got planning permission at a location out in Kent somewhere - so moving out of their immediate area and some way away from their first team and academy training grounds which are separate at present (Beckenham and Wells Hall I think)

This link is 'old' data but still interesting re funding provided to EFL clubs

https://www.premierleague.com/news/1939288

Pompey receive £440,000 Academy Funding - Palace £4.3M!

Seems totally disproportianate.

One of my friend's son plays for Millwall U/18s butnot impressed & his agent is arranging a move.

BTW he's only 16 with his own agent!

(18-08-2022, 04:37 PM)Isley46 Wrote: Millwall are looking to build a new training ground and bring the whole operation together (first team and Academy) and as far as I'm aware the have got planning permission at a location out in Kent somewhere - so moving out of their immediate area and some way away from their first team and academy training grounds which are separate at present (Beckenham and Wells Hall I think)

This link is 'old' data but still interesting re funding provided to EFL clubs

https://www.premierleague.com/news/1939288

Latest information here: Premier League 2019-22 funding for EFL clubs

Pompey now receiver just over £1M for the Academy so 25% of what Palace are getting.

Difference between Premier & Lge 1!

2nd Episode tonight on C4 Not tomorrow.

RE: The Academy - mikey393 - 19-08-2022

(18-08-2022, 01:58 PM)Hammie Wrote: Its seriously difficult to find space for that on Portsea island, especially with the council under huge pressure from the government to build tens of thousands of new houses.
I'm sure there are many eyes on St John's playing fields with the school closing and the La Salle Brothers needing money as part of the Roman Catholic cash raising drive to pay for past misdemeanors by priests!

What about the new John Jenkins Stadium being built om the Moneyfields site? 

Does anyone know what's happening with it?

RE: The Academy - exterminator - 19-08-2022

https://www.portsmouthfc.co.uk/news/2021/october/john-jenkins-stadium-fund-receives-huge-windfall/

Pitc, Moneyfields & Pompey Women will use the pitches.

RE: The Academy - mikey393 - 21-08-2022

(19-08-2022, 08:40 PM)exterminator Wrote: https://www.portsmouthfc.co.uk/news/2021/october/john-jenkins-stadium-fund-receives-huge-windfall/

Pitc, Moneyfields & Pompey Women will use the pitches.

Thanks. Is it possible to expand this site to possibly include The Academy?