TrueBlueArmy Forums
The News Headlines - Printable Version

+- TrueBlueArmy Forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com)
+-- Forum: TBA forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Play Up Pompey (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: The News Headlines (/showthread.php?tid=2232)

The News Headlines - HreidarssonHeaders - 08-09-2022

Does anybody else get fed up with "The News" articles about players that use all of the players previous clubs in the title?

For example:

"Ex-Sheffield United, Coventry, Reading, and Sunderland striker Marc McNulty:"

Surely they could just say "Ex Pompey striker"!

It's like a competition to see how long they can make it with ex clubs.

RE: The News Headlines - slayer - 08-09-2022

They don't hire journos anymore. They hire unqualifieds as website "execs" on minimum wage. They are on strict orders to hit minimum word counts and publish articles that will get clicks for all the ads. That's why you get shit like this and articles about sour grapes from opposition managers.

RE: The News Headlines - Rick Pumpkin - 08-09-2022

I stopped reading that rag years ago when the likes of Jordan Cross started writing on there. Seriously, the latest intake of barely literate minimum wage hacks are just as scumslayer says, there for nothing more than clickbait and hitting article and word count targets.

Reg Betts would be turning in his grave.

RE: The News Headlines - stayinupforever - 08-09-2022

(08-09-2022, 07:53 PM)scumslayer Wrote: They don't hire journos anymore. They hire unqualifieds as website "execs" on minimum wage. They are on strict orders to hit minimum word counts and publish articles that will get clicks for all the ads. That's why you get shit like this and articles about sour grapes from opposition managers.

To be honest everywhere hires unqualifieds 'cos they are cheap and then they don't bother to train them. They move on quickly as they get bored and the whole cycle begins again.

RE: The News Headlines - slayer - 08-09-2022

Neil Allen is a class act and one of the last of his kind. Truth be told, his work is probably carrying the title now. There will come a day when he goes, or they cannot afford him any longer, and that day will be the knell for the paper.

RE: The News Headlines - Rick Pumpkin - 08-09-2022

(08-09-2022, 08:56 PM)scumslayer Wrote: Neil Allen is a class act and one of the last of his kind. Truth be told, his work is probably carrying the title now. There will come a day when he goes, or they cannot afford him any longer, and that day will be the knell for the paper.

I like Neil Allen's books but as a journo I've never thought he's that much, especially when every sentence is short and it's own paragraph.  Compare him to other sports journalists like either Richard Forrester or Sam Frost at the Bristol Post, or Colston Crawford on the Derby Mail, and they can actually write interesting and in-depth articles.  When was the last time The News had one of those?

RE: The News Headlines - Cressers - 09-09-2022

This is The News you're talking about...
It's not been the same since we lost the breathless reportage of the Pompey Pink.

RE: The News Headlines - Cunninglinguist - 09-09-2022

If enough people decided to pay for good journalism, then that is what they would get.

Everyone expects something for nothing these days.

RE: The News Headlines - exgaffer - 09-09-2022

(09-09-2022, 06:59 AM)Cressers Wrote: This is The News you're talking about...
It's not been the same since we lost the breathless reportage of the Pompey Pink.

It wasn’t always pink of course.

RE: The News Headlines - Hammie - 10-09-2022

(08-09-2022, 09:05 PM)Rick Pumpkin Wrote:
(08-09-2022, 08:56 PM)scumslayer Wrote: Neil Allen is a class act and one of the last of his kind. Truth be told, his work is probably carrying the title now. There will come a day when he goes, or they cannot afford him any longer, and that day will be the knell for the paper.

I like Neil Allen's books but as a journo I've never thought he's that much, especially when every sentence is short and it's own paragraph.  Compare him to other sports journalists like either Richard Forrester or Sam Frost at the Bristol Post, or Colston Crawford on the Derby Mail, and they can actually write interesting and in-depth articles.  When was the last time The News had one of those?

if those are match reports, I'd excuse him as he is probably write them while watching the game, sending in a sentence at  a time rather than a considered view.

RE: The News Headlines - Rick Pumpkin - 10-09-2022

(10-09-2022, 05:50 AM)Hammie Wrote:
(08-09-2022, 09:05 PM)Rick Pumpkin Wrote:

if those are match reports, I'd excuse him as he is probably write them while watching the game, sending in a sentence at  a time rather than a considered view.

I actually thought his match reports were the best things he churned out for The News!  It's the other dirge that looks like it was written by a bored ten-year-old that was one of the reasons I stopped reading the paper (I used to subscribe) - well, that and the headlines designed to get the most clicks via news aggregator websites like NewsNow.  His books show he has talent but in his day job he seems to have dropped to the level required by the paper.

If I read a newspaper match report nowadays, which is very rare as I tend to stick to the OS reports, it'll be from the opposition point of view.  Like I said in an earlier post the Bristol Post is very objective and as I discovered last weekend, the Peterborough Telegraph doesn't like to see their team lose!

It's a pity The News has turned out the way it has but that seems to be the National World business model - pay peanuts, pepper everything with ads (AdBlock counted 122 ads on one page just now!) and turn every article to clickbait.

RE: The News Headlines - HreidarssonHeaders - 10-09-2022

I guess they add all the ex team names to increase their click rate and try to increase their ad revenue.

Looks bloody awful but without the advertising revenue there wouldn't be any articles as they would go out of business.

RE: The News Headlines - slayer - 10-09-2022

Yep that's exactly why they do it. Ask them and they will tell you - it is to maximise the chance of page impressions. This income is critical now - their daily print circulation is below 10,000.

RE: The News Headlines - TBP - 10-09-2022

(10-09-2022, 11:42 AM)scumslayer Wrote: Yep that's exactly why they do it. Ask them and they will tell you - it is to maximise the chance of page impressions. This income is critical now - their daily print circulation is below 10,000.

Back in the 70s it was around the 100,000 mark. So just about everybody must have read it.

RE: The News Headlines - Hermann's_no_hermit - 10-09-2022

(10-09-2022, 12:15 PM)TBP Wrote:
(10-09-2022, 11:42 AM)scumslayer Wrote: Yep that's exactly why they do it. Ask them and they will tell you - it is to maximise the chance of page impressions. This income is critical now - their daily print circulation is below 10,000.

Back in the 70s it was around the 100,000 mark. So just about everybody must have read it.

I was a paper-boy in Gosport in the early 70s - delivered more Portsmouth Evening News (as it was called then from memory) than I did daily papers. (13 rounds per week - about 50 houses on each - £1.00 per week!).

RE: The News Headlines - dsmg - 10-09-2022

Exploitation, Herman! Put a claim in