TrueBlueArmy Forums
Postponement of all games - Printable Version

+- TrueBlueArmy Forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com)
+-- Forum: TBA forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Play Up Pompey (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: Postponement of all games (/showthread.php?tid=2234)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

RE: Postponement of all games - scouse - 11-09-2022

(11-09-2022, 09:21 AM)Tufnell_Chimes Wrote: How many sections did your walk take Scouse? I’d like to walk it before Cuadrilla drill the shit out of it.

We just did Amberley to Eastbourne in five relatively easy days. We'd already done the western end on day trips from Portsmouth.

RE: Postponement of all games - Tufnell_Chimes - 11-09-2022

That's the way I was going to do it - daytrips for the western bit.

RE: Postponement of all games - Tomsk - 11-09-2022

(11-09-2022, 06:27 AM)scouse Wrote: I would have gone via London for the Rejoin March but that was postponed too.

Is that the Liverpool to rejoin the rest of England march?

RE: Postponement of all games - Ain’t got a Danny - 11-09-2022

Went to the gym and then swam a mile as per.

Watched the test match in the afternoon and Netflix with the missus in the evening. Relaxing day.

RE: Postponement of all games - exterminator - 11-09-2022

(11-09-2022, 09:21 AM)Tufnell_Chimes Wrote: How many sections did your walk take Scouse? I’d like to walk it before Cuadrilla drill the shit out of it.

I agree with you on this one Tuffers - should never be allowed in a small country like ours. We can  be self sufficient and more sell to other countries eventually using solar, wind & mini nuclear reactors, so no need to destroy the environment. 

The water supply contamination  caused by the toxic chemicals they use & mini earthquakes that fracking can cause  to both humans, wildlife & the countryside far outweighs any benefits.

RE: Postponement of all games - Ain’t got a Danny - 11-09-2022

(11-09-2022, 09:34 AM)Cleaver Greene Wrote: I dont understand it.
The Cricket was on Saturday as was the rugby.
Why couldnt we have a minutes silence, a minutes applause, wear black armbands and get on with it?

Cricket had its day of respect on Friday (cancelled day not rearranged) Don’t know about the Rugby. Horse Racing was cancelled/rearranged or cut back.Prince William is President of the FA so I’d think the FA Council members probably rang the PL and EFL and asked them to postpone the games as a mark of respect.

It’s mainly been sport that’s been affected. Life has gone on as usual.

RE: Postponement of all games - Pedalo_menders - 11-09-2022

(11-09-2022, 12:29 PM)exterminator Wrote:

I agree with you on this one Tuffers - should never be allowed in a small country like ours. We can  be self sufficient and more sell to other ciuntries eventually using solar, wind & mini nuclear reactors, so no need to destroy the environment. 

The water supply contamination  caused by the toxix chemicals they use & mini earthquakes that fracking can cause  to both human & wildlife & the countryside far outweighs any benefits.

Agreed

Although I also think mini nuclear is a terrible idea. We can barely maintain the plants we have, there is no workable plan to cope with the nuclear waste (which is lethal for 100,000 years), and what happens when someone tries to blow one up or cut off the power to one of them? And that's before mentioning that they cost about 300%-500% more than renewables.

RE: Postponement of all games - Gerry Hatrick - 11-09-2022

My own solution to the energy crisis is to invest in cats and dogs. Mostly dogs. They have boundless energy and just have to be linked up to lithium batteries when we take them for a walk. Cats sleep for 60-70% of the day so that's a clear problem but put them in the same room as a rottweiller and you'll see them move. This idea could be rolled out to hamsters by converting the energy they spend on their cage wheels and even fish if we can attach tiny electrodes to their fins.  IMO pets have had it easy for far too long, it's time to make them pay their own way. Pet Energy is the way forward.

RE: Postponement of all games - bluetagagain - 11-09-2022

(11-09-2022, 03:07 PM)Pedalo_menders Wrote:

I agree with you on this one Tuffers - should never be allowed in a small country like ours. We can  be self sufficient and more sell to other ciuntries eventually using solar, wind & mini nuclear reactors, so no need to destroy the environment. 

The water supply contamination  caused by the toxix chemicals they use & mini earthquakes that fracking can cause  to both human & wildlife & the countryside far outweighs any benefits.

Agreed

Although I also think mini nuclear is a terrible idea. We can barely maintain the plants we have, there is no workable plan to cope with the nuclear waste (which is lethal for 100,000 years), and what happens when someone tries to blow one up or cut off the power to one of them? And that's before mentioning that they cost about 300%-500% more than renewables.

Lots of things wrong there Pedalo. I’ve worked closely with the Nuclear industry for the last 15 yrs or so until i retired. We can maintain our nuclear power stations as we have a very skilled, young and ambitious work force. What we can’t do is replace the many ageing reactors we have( ( Dungeness etc). The problem is getting someone to build the new stations . Hinckley and Sizewell have had to cap in hand to the French , Japanese, Saudis etc but it was only the Chinese who could come up with money. It will take the UK over 20 yrs to see a profit on these as the KW price we’ve agreed with China goes to them. 
Nuclear energy is very very clean it’s just the spent fuel half life that’s a problem. Regarding nuclear waste , we do it well imo and if we learn the lessons from Fukushima then we’ll improve even more. 
IMO we need more Solar power stations , Biofuel stations and small nuclear power

RE: Postponement of all games - Cunninglinguist - 11-09-2022

The worry over nuclear waste is obviously an issue for a lot of folk.

Personally, I see the obvious consequences of burning fossil fuels until they run out but it isn't/hasn't stopping/stopped anyone doing it. Is it any worse than using unclear energy?

I'll throw in something that I've stumbled on this year though. I live in a country that has nuclear energy at the heart of its power consumption. This summer has produced the biggest drought seen and I had a discussion with someone whose brother in law works in a nuclear generating plant. The problem they've had this year, is cooling the reactor because there hasn't been enough water.

(11-09-2022, 05:12 PM)bluetagagain Wrote:
(11-09-2022, 03:07 PM)Pedalo_menders Wrote:

Agreed

Lots of things wrong there Pedalo. I’ve worked closely with the Nuclear industry for the last 15 yrs or so until i retired. We can maintain our nuclear power stations as we have a very skilled, young and ambitious work force. What we can’t do is replace the many ageing reactors we have( ( Dungeness etc). The problem is getting someone to build the new stations . Hinckley and Sizewell have had to cap in hand to the French , Japanese, Saudis etc but it was only the Chinese who could come up with money. It will take the UK over 20 yrs to see a profit on these as the KW price we’ve agreed with China goes to them. 
Nuclear energy is very very clean it’s just the spent fuel half life that’s a problem. Regarding nuclear waste , we do it well imo and if we learn the lessons from Fukushima then we’ll improve even more. 
IMO we need more Solar power stations , Biofuel stations and small nuclear power

You've not actually addressed any of the problems I mentioned. Rather, you've actually backed up what I have said. We can't maintain the plants we have,due to the aging reactors. This is costly and dangerous. That's why they are being decommissioned at a cost of tens of billions of pounds.

We have a skilled workforce but need to go cap in hand the Chinese to build a nuclear powerplant for us. Bit of an oxymoron, that? What could possibly go wrong there, paying an aggressive superpower to build national infrastructure requiring military grade nuclear knowledge? We still are dealing with the 5G spying issues so let's have a little think before asking the Chinese to build us a nuclear power plant shall we? 

And thank you for also pointing out that they are ridiculously expensive and that basically they are a money pit that means we will be paying tens of billions to the Chinese for the privilege. 

"Just the spent fuel that's the problem"? It's an absolutely massive fooking problem. One that doesn't have a viable solution. And you want to expand this problem further? Again, it is prohibitively expensive and dangerous. Nuclear power has been around for about 70 years and still, no-one has been able to solve the nuclear waste issue. 

The final nail in the coffin for nuclear is that hydrogen production will remove the problem of intermittentcy of wind power. And at a drastically lower risk and financial cost.

RE: Postponement of all games - Hammie - 11-09-2022

How the nation that invented the Nuclear power station has been allowed by politicians (of all colours) to end up relying on others to build them, is a national disgrace.

RE: Postponement of all games - scouse - 11-09-2022

Spent fuel from conventional uranium fission reactors can be processed to extract the plutonium for atomic bombs. Which may be one of the reasons for their popularity... Newer technologies like fast-neutron reactors produce less waste and less plutonium I think. Use less water too - they have liquid metal coolant like sodium or lead. Or maybe thorium-cycle reactors will take off (not literally...). Controlled fusion would be good if anyone can hack it. So "nuclear" is not just one thing.

Once we reach a threshold of producing more wind power than is required by the grid, producing hydrogen using electrolysis will be a far better option.

Nuclear has had a headstart on hydrogen but once the economies of scale catch up, the cost will dramatically fall. As has been shown with wind and solar. The good thing about hydrogen is that you can use the existing natural gas infrastructure to transport hydrogen upto 30:70 hydrogen to natural gas. I bieve that can also be burned in a regular CCGT powerplant without much/any modification either.

If you twisted my arm, I would concede that we may need to have some nuclear power to manage base load, whilst the hydrogen infrastructure catches up. But it should be the absolute bare minimum required to keep the lights on.

Building multiple nuclear reactors is utter madness based on risk and economics. If anyone can tell me how to store the waste safely and cost effectively, I'd like to learn more.

RE: Postponement of all games - bluetagagain - 11-09-2022

China is supplying the money to build the reactors. EDf are building it and manning/ operating it but for 20 yrs after it commissions all the money goes to China. As they say, we have the technology we’re just feckin skint.’

RE: Postponement of all games - 66zoolane - 11-09-2022

(11-09-2022, 06:27 PM)scouse Wrote: Spent fuel from conventional uranium fission reactors can be processed to extract the plutonium for atomic bombs. Which may be one of the reasons for their popularity... Newer technologies like fast-neutron reactors produce less waste and less plutonium I think. Use less water too - they  have liquid metal coolant like sodium or lead. Or maybe thorium-cycle reactors will take off (not literally...). Controlled fusion would be good if anyone can hack it. So "nuclear" is not just one thing.

I'm guessing this sort of thing is common knowledge in Cosham, but thanks, that's interesting stuff!

RE: Postponement of all games - teeftwo - 12-09-2022

(11-09-2022, 09:50 AM)scouse Wrote:

We just did Amberley to Eastbourne in five relatively easy days. We'd already done the western end on day trips from Portsmouth.

I've run it a couple of times end to end, took me about 28 hours. It's an absolutely gorgeous route, really beautiful.