TrueBlueArmy Forums
Should Jackett & Gallen Go Now? - Printable Version

+- TrueBlueArmy Forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com)
+-- Forum: TBA forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Play Up Pompey (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: Should Jackett & Gallen Go Now? (/showthread.php?tid=224)

Pages: 1 2

Should Jackett & Gallen Go Now? - mikey393 - 17-02-2021

After last night's total debacle I think there's a case.

We should have won that game with ease.

Went 1-0 up then basically fell apart.

Tactics all wrong starting the usual Negative away tactic of 1 up front Marquis who got lucky early on then nothing.

3 Subs on at H.T. which should have sent out a message but didn't so 2 more on & missed a penalty late on by Marquis.

He shouldn't have been taking it but who is the nominated penalty taker, Harrison took the last one & scored so should have taken. We still had about 3 minutes to scramble a late draw if it had been converted.

No fully fit Jack on the bench because Rasmus has a left foot!

Hiwula, who has a bit of pace & not afraid to try things  is still superglued to the bench at the end of the game.

I can see promotion slipping away for the 3rd season running as "Alarm Bells" have been ringing for some time.

If the owners are going to make a change before the end of the season now is the time!

RE: Should Jackett & Gallen Go Now? - Tomsk - 17-02-2021

Yeah as some experts on hear have suggested get Darren Moore in, he would never lose us three in a row

RE: Should Jackett & Gallen Go Now? - Hammie - 18-02-2021

"don't panic!"

RE: Should Jackett & Gallen Go Now? - mikey393 - 18-02-2021

Hammie, better to sort out now then when it's too late yet again.

It's up to the owners now but they won't like what they're seeing.

RE: Should Jackett & Gallen Go Now? - bluetagagain - 18-02-2021

I agree with Tomsk, let’s not change anything ever, it’ll all eventually sort itself out regardless where we end up

RE: Should Jackett & Gallen Go Now? - Tomsk - 18-02-2021

Actually I've changed my mind, I agree with Bluetag, let's wet our pants and have a hissy every time we have a dodgy run of three, have a go at the owners to change manager, then do it all over again with the next man.

RE: Should Jackett & Gallen Go Now? - ForeverPompey - 18-02-2021

(18-02-2021, 12:06 PM)Tomsk Wrote: Actually I've changed my mind, I agree with Bluetag, let's wet our pants and have a hissy every time we have a dodgy run of three, have a go at the owners to change manager, then do it all over again with the next man.

I have a recurring nightmare... after 20 years of Jackett and Gallen we finally win promotion and have to put up with people saying ‘told you so. Told you they’d get us promoted and I was right all along’. Fortunately by then I will have long since given up caring. In fact I despise the pair of them so much I almost don’t want them to have a promotion on their cv’s.

RE: Should Jackett & Gallen Go Now? - Hammie - 18-02-2021

seems a good idea to get rid of the lot now, have a few weeks of caretaker management then bring in someone new to build for next season instead. Throw a load of money away on paying off contracts. Give the new guy time to assess the players in situ, lose a few who don't want to wait while he makes his mind up.
All good.

Or play out the season. Make the play offs or better. Allow management out of contract to move on for free. and Start anew.

It's just a view & trying to think ahead.

There are No Guarantees in Football Management but this latest loss highlights major problems.

KJ & Gallen will probably stay until the end of the season due to their contract situation.

But you have to offset that against how much more earnings the club could generate if we were in the Championship next season.

I don't think the owners think along these lines though & if we did go up they will need a war chest to stay up.

RE: Should Jackett & Gallen Go Now? - Pedalo_menders - 18-02-2021

I dont buy into the argument of the owners not wanting promotion. The 'average' (mean) wage bill in the championship is quite misleading because there are/were a handful of clubs skewing the numbers. The likes of Leeds, Sunderland, with wage Bill's around the 45m-50m total making the average much higher.

There are about half a dozen clubs with wage bills 15m or lower. When you consider our revenues (in normal circumstances) were over 12M in league 1 it's not hard to see how we can remain sustainable in the championship.

Tomato sauce: https://www.planetfootball.com/quick-reads/how-every-every-pl-and-champ-clubs-wages-compare-to-their-league-finish/

Then you factor in you get quintuple the solidarity payments in the championship (about 6M vs 1.3M) and tv rights treble from 30k to 100k per televised game. You can also demand more wonga when renewing sponsorship & advertising contracts. Crowd sizes theoretically become larger too (if the Eisners pull their finger out and expand capacity) and you can charge more for entry.

Looking into it just a little bit shows it is far more attractive to be in the championship. I haven't even talked about the capital appreciation of the club being worth more & being able to demand more for player sales.

Everything points towards us needing to be in the championship. We may not be near the top end but we should certainly be able to hold our own if/when we ever get there.

Old sauce: https://plymouth.vitalfootball.co.uk/how-much-prize-money-for-winning-l2/

RE: Should Jackett & Gallen Go Now? - Pedalo_menders - 18-02-2021

Oh and we get to hold onto the Jamal Lowes, Matt Clarkes & Jed Wallace's of the world instead of trading them in for the Raggetts, Boltons and Bogles we have to make do with

RE: Should Jackett & Gallen Go Now? - bluetagagain - 18-02-2021

Tomsk I haven’t wet the bed in decades, however, I have remained true to my cause and wanted Kackett out the day he arrived and I still stand by that. Change is good especially change for the better.

RE: Should Jackett & Gallen Go Now? - Wightblue - 18-02-2021

Regardless of whether Jackett and Gallen go now or at the end of the season, just be aware that the same team that chose Awford, Barker, Cook and Jackett will almost certainly pick Jackett’s replacement.

Be afraid, be very afraid.

Wight I think you've got your dates mixed up. Cook left when he knew the Eisner's were taking control so
Awford, Barker, Cook were nothing to do with them just Jackett.

RE: Should Jackett & Gallen Go Now? - Wightblue - 18-02-2021

Mikey393, I was in fact referring to Catlin ! I think he came in at the same time as Whittingham became manager, from Awford on it was Catlin I assume who made the Management selection.

Eisner demonstrably knows a huge amount about Disney but little about ‘Soccer’, judging by the cost to Disney of the episodes with the Ducks and The Angels (Disney were out in excess of $200 Million on those enterprises) he isn’t actually a sure footed investor in the area of sport either. Cant help but feel he isn’t going to as liberal with his own money as he was with Disney’s in his Pompey investment.

He also proposed a $100 Million investment of Disney money into the Moscow Red Penguins, do watch the documentary ‘The Red Penguins’ its hilarious, frightening and sobering in one programme (I think Michael Eisner must cringe when he watches it).

RE: Should Jackett & Gallen Go Now? - Gerry Hatrick - 19-02-2021

(18-02-2021, 11:02 PM)Wightblue Wrote: Mikey393, I was in fact referring to Catlin ! I think he came in at the same time as Whittingham became manager, from Awford on it was Catlin I assume who made the Management selection.

Eisner demonstrably knows a huge amount about Disney but little about ‘Soccer’, judging by the cost to Disney of the episodes with the Ducks and The Angels (Disney were out in excess of $200 Million on those enterprises) he isn’t actually a sure footed investor in the area of sport either. Cant help but feel he isn’t going to as liberal with his own money as he was with Disney’s in his Pompey investment.

He also proposed a $100 Million investment of Disney money into the Moscow Red Penguins, do watch the documentary ‘The Red Penguins’ its hilarious, frightening and sobering in one programme (I think Michael Eisner must cringe when he watches it).

So your "team" was Catlin.....

RE: Should Jackett & Gallen Go Now? - Wightblue - 19-02-2021

I am sure that Catlin has a number of confidants within his Pompey set-up who he seeks advice from, or, bounces ideas off, that’s what I refer to as ‘his team’.

Of course he may be a ‘Lone-Wolf’ operator in which case he is indeed Team Catlin

RE: Should Jackett & Gallen Go Now? - Isaac Hunt - 19-02-2021

I blame the guy with the real power...Kev the kit man

RE: Should Jackett & Gallen Go Now? - mikey393 - 19-02-2021

(18-02-2021, 11:02 PM)Wightblue Wrote: Mikey393, I was in fact referring to Catlin ! I think he came in at the same time as Whittingham became manager, from Awford on it was Catlin I assume who made the Management selection.

Hi Wight, 

Apologies I misread your meaning. 

Although Catlin did the ultimate hiring it would have been only with the owners full approval.

I totally agree about knowing nothing about football.

I know that he looked at various clubs including Reading before deciding on Pompey.

I'm sure the fact that as we'd had so many financial problems he could buy it on the cheap came into it.

But, to be totally fair he steadied the ship when we were at times rudderless.

Has spent some money on the ground to keep it still running & gaining new H&S certificates.

But, has trusted Catlin too much with the appointment of Jackett although on paper it looked a decent appointment.

He really is the Nearly man for us Nearly got us promoted twice but failed & now third time lucky or more likely Unlucky.

We won some Silverware & still can win some more but in a pretty meaningless Cup Competition.

I think the biggest mistake was allowing Catlin who seems a decent guy to offer KJ a 3 year contract.

2 Years at the most should have been offered with a Big Bonus for promotion.

We now await then scenario playing out but unfortunately I feel it there will be a disappointing end to this season.

RE: Should Jackett & Gallen Go Now? - Pedalo_menders - 19-02-2021

There have certainly been more lows than highs over the last 3 1/2 years watching Pompey under jackett. For every surprise victory I can name a couple of surprise defeats.

The football at times has been excruciatingly disjointed, even 3 years into his tenure. Kenny has been given plenty of time and funding to get it right.

Unfortunately he just loves 451 & defensive tactics too much, even though it will cost him his job. That and thinking Raggett is a footballer.

RE: Should Jackett & Gallen Go Now? - bluebollox - 19-02-2021

(19-02-2021, 03:05 PM)Pedalo_menders Wrote: There have certainly been more lows than highs over the last 3 1/2 years watching Pompey under jackett. For every surprise victory I can name a couple of surprise defeats.

The football at times has been excruciatingly disjointed, even 3 years into his tenure. Kenny has been given plenty of time and funding to get it right.

Unfortunately he just loves 451 & defensive tactics too much, even though it will cost him his job. That and thinking Raggett is a footballer.

Immaterial question really because we know Tornante expect them to honour their contracts. (in modern football its a very naive thing to think really). 
To the question I think they should've gone last summer, Kenny just keeps having brain farts. His team doesn't display mental toughness when it really matters. Saw a stat the other day, we haven't won after going behind this season. Thats poor for a team chasing promotion. Nice bloke & all that but he's too far behind regarding modern tactics. I think the lack of Hiwula usage has been criminal, whatever anyone thinks about Jordi he has the one thing defenders hate-extreme pace. To go unused when our forward line is misfiring so badly is completely baffling & just adds to the very long list of baffling decisions in his tenure here.

RE: Should Jackett & Gallen Go Now? - bluetagagain - 19-02-2021

Agree 100%. Jackett is the John Major of football, a nice man but totally uninspiring, unimaginative,confidence sapping, definitely not a leader, outdated and all in all boring.
Wake up Eisners/Tornante 3 seasons wasted with this grey man.

RE: Should Jackett & Gallen Go Now? - Isaac Hunt - 19-02-2021

Just be thankfull you are not a Southend supporter

RE: Should Jackett & Gallen Go Now? - Tomsk - 19-02-2021

Just be thankful you're not a Liverpool fan either, look how traumatic it's been for them recently losing games they shouldn't have been losing. Those gap-toothed cheeky scallies have been near suicidal, I'm surprised there hasn't been an enquiry about it.

RE: Should Jackett & Gallen Go Now? - bluebollox - 19-02-2021

(19-02-2021, 04:20 PM)Isaac Hunt Wrote: Just be thankfull you are not a Southend supporter

Ermm thats quite bizarre & got sod all to do with this particular debate. Why not start a thread called Poor old Southend instead of trying to divert away from the topic.