TrueBlueArmy Forums
Things they said would happen after Brexit - Printable Version

+- TrueBlueArmy Forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com)
+-- Forum: TBA forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Politics and Brexit (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: Things they said would happen after Brexit (/showthread.php?tid=231)

Pages: 1 2

Things they said would happen after Brexit - Cunninglinguist - 19-02-2021

The queues of lorries, at the ferry ports, would be miles long.

It hasn't happened, has it?

RE: Things they said would happen after Brexit - Isaac Hunt - 19-02-2021

https://www.bbc.com/news/56086926

RE: Things they said would happen after Brexit - Tomsk - 19-02-2021

Just be thankful you don't support Southend.

Is that relevant here?

RE: Things they said would happen after Brexit - Isaac Hunt - 19-02-2021

Ask Bluebollox

RE: Things they said would happen after Brexit - Tufnell_Chimes - 20-02-2021

There's very few queues at the ferry ports because:
A. Stockpiling pre-Brexit
B. Lorries are returning to Europe empty so are not required to complete customs clearance
C. Lorries from Northern Ireland are bypassing the UK all together and sailing direct to France and Spain
D. The EU doesn't want to buy our stuff anymore. They can get it cheaper and quicker from elsewhere in the EU.

RE: Things they said would happen after Brexit - exgaffer - 21-02-2021

(20-02-2021, 08:03 PM)Tufnell_Chimes Wrote: There's very few queues at the ferry ports because:
A. Stockpiling pre-Brexit
B. Lorries are returning to Europe empty so are not required to complete customs clearance
C. Lorries from Northern Ireland are bypassing the UK all together and sailing direct to France and Spain
D. The EU doesn't want to buy our stuff anymore. They can get it cheaper and quicker from elsewhere in the EU.

The EU doesn't want to buy our stuff anymore. They can get it cheaper and quicker from elsewhere in the EU’.

Well that works both ways doesn’t it Tuffers?  Smile 

We need to make it absolutely clear that we won’t be bullied by the EU. A lot if the stuff they flog us is overpriced and we can either buy it elsewhere or, better still, produce it here. As for the ‘quicker’, with modern communications, there isn’t a lot of difference.

If they want to trade in a reasonable way, that would be better for all concerned. As one German said, when discussing barriers to British shell fish, ‘British waters didn’t become dirtier overnight’ (or words to that effect, one wouldn’t want to be ‘fact checked’ would one?)  Wink .

RE: Things they said would happen after Brexit - Tufnell_Chimes - 21-02-2021

Gaff, I thought you were the one with the degree in Geography. When I say they can get it quicker and cheaper from elsewhere, I'm saying they can probably get it from any one of their immediate neighbours. Outside of the EU, our nearest trade neighbours are Canada and Albania. So no, it doesn't work both ways, because it won't be cheaper and it certainly won't be quicker.

We're not being bullied, or being treated unreasonably - we're being treated like any other country with third-country status. The tories knew this way before the referendum, after all the Single Market was Thatcher's idea, and they knew what problems it would cause. They just chose to tell you something else, some bullshit about 'sovereignty' and you lapped it up.

As one Belgian said when discussing the johnson's Brexit:
"The only one who is not to be blamed is Mr Johnson himself, apparently. But all the rest are the source of our problems. That is what is happening today. All those who are not playing his game are 'traitors' or a 'collaborator', or 'surrenderers'.

"Well in my opinion, dear colleagues the real traitor is he or she who risks bringing disaster upon his country, its economy, and its citizens, by pushing Britain out of the European Union. That is in my opinion, a traitor."

Sad

RE: Things they said would happen after Brexit - bluetagagain - 21-02-2021

First of you can’t be a traitor to the EU as it’s not a country. Secondly why can’t we be treated like Switzerland or the Scandi countries. The EU are punishing the UK because they’re behaving like spoilt brats because we no longer want to be in their gang. They didn’t punish Ireland when it left originally. Typical EU .

"First of you can’t be a traitor to the EU as it’s not a country" but that's not what the quote says.

Secondly we could have been treated like Switzerland or Norway, but johnson chose not too. Remember the whole purpose of the referendum and laterly Brexit is to soothe divisions within the Conservative Party, the interests of the country come a very distant second. Both Switzerland and Norway are members of the EFTA/EEA this free trade agreement allows them access to the single market, but crucially not in the customs union. The customs union issue is particularly difficult for us because it goes against the Good Friday Agreement about hard borders on the island of Ireland - which is why we currently have an EU border in the middle of the Irish Sea with Northern Ireland on the EU side (there goes the Union).

The other issue for the tories is that membership of EFTA/EEA comes with acceptance of Freedom of Movement - and FoM is like garlic to the tory headbanger/dracula wing. They'd rather cut their own balls off (and our balls at the same time) than see another bloke with a turban on their high street. So we're fucked, its not the EU punishing us, its us punishing us.

If you did vote in the referendum, and if you did it seems likely from your angle you voted to leave, then from your comments its pretty clear you didn't have a fucking clue what you were voting for. Who votes to jump off an edge without looking for themselves what's on the other side? Typical Brexiters.

RE: Things they said would happen after Brexit - suffolkpompey - 21-02-2021

All this argument and counter argument is a total waste of time. It doesn't matter which side of the fence your on all the quoting of figures, percentages etc ain't going to make people change their mind. To me it virtually boiled down to one question which was, "Do I want to live in the North West Frontier of the United States of Europe". The answer was no, so I voted out.

Suffolk, that's a totally consistent line, and I'm fine with that. If you're reason was 'let's go it alone, and if its shit, so be it' there's nothing anyone can say that can argue that (though if it is shit, you'll need to take responsibility for it). But all this stuff about 'the EU is punishing us' bollocks, as if we could actually remove ourselves from the obligations of the EU and still benefit from the single market (have cake, eat cake) was never, ever going to happen.

I did vote to leave for more or less the same reasons as Suffolk. Nothing at all to do with immigration or the like ( why when the UK is built on immigrant populations). However, I do feel we are being treated with a heavier hand than it needs. The N.I situation is ridiculous and whether the EU like it or not it is part of the UK and if it requires a harder border then fair enough . IMO it’ll be united in the next couple of generations anyway. It is a special case and should be treated on its own merits not some Article that either side have no trust in ( as the EU showed recently).I’m all for a European trade agreement but not to being in the United States of Europe that can’t even make up its mind where to have its permanent headquarters.

"The N.I situation is ridiculous and whether the EU like it or not it is part of the UK and if it requires a harder border then fair enough"
So you're happy to see the re-emergence of the IRA? and more checkpoint attacks like Warren Point or Derryard. Its not quite that simple.

RE: Things they said would happen after Brexit - exterminator - 21-02-2021

(21-02-2021, 03:57 PM)Tufnell_Chimes Wrote: If you did vote in the referendum, and if you did it seems likely from your angle you voted to leave, then from your comments its pretty clear you didn't have a fucking clue what you were voting for. Who votes to jump off an edge without looking for themselves what's on the other side? Typical Brexiters.

I voted to leave Tuffers and I knew exactly what I was voting for. ......................

The way I saw it was the Remainers were voting for the same old clueless EU club who didn't have a Scooby............and more importantly, they didn't want to listen to any suggestions of change in their dysfunctional club.

Why should we keep paying into the EU budget to support all the 18 "lame duck" countries - some of these like Portugal ,Greece, Luxembourg had been in the EU or it's predecessor a lot longer than us yet won't or more likely don't want to put their houses in order.

It took Ireland almost 40 yrs to become contributers, yet the EU kept voting to take in more and more countries who all want a nice piece of the pie without paying in. No wonder the "fish faced old boot" who runs Scotland wants them back in, she wants all the handouts ffs.

We were paying in more than France ffs, who were a founder member of the EU, have a similar population, yet who country is over twice as large as us - that can't be right.

Sorry moosh, charity starts at home and that means looking after our own people with our (me & you) taxes -not giving them away to be spent in another country.

RE: Things they said would happen after Brexit - suffolkpompey - 21-02-2021

I think the EU's handling of the vaccination programme has spoke volumes about the way Europe is heading. There are many envious eyes looking across the channel at the moment.

RE: Things they said would happen after Brexit - TheSyrup - 21-02-2021

Tufnell 
You are one Boring bitter Fcuking dinlo, Brexit is done and we ain’t going back.

Ain’t my thread Syrup. Go tell Cunny he’s a fucking dinlo.

Tuffers you don't have to explain any situation in Northern Ireland to me. I was born and grew up there and until lockdown went over several times a year and my family still live there. Believe me getting rid of the the useless agreement ( Not the Belfast one) is what most people in NI want. As for an IRA resurgance - laughable, other than a few dozen wankers no one wants a return to the violence.

RE: Things they said would happen after Brexit - Tufnell_Chimes - 22-02-2021

Yep, Mrs Chimes’ family are from the other side of the border in Cavan and they certainly don’t want a return to all that. But you know, wankers are gonna wank

RE: Things they said would happen after Brexit - Isaac Hunt - 22-02-2021

(21-02-2021, 08:42 PM)exterminator Wrote:
(21-02-2021, 03:57 PM)Tufnell_Chimes Wrote: If you did vote in the referendum, and if you did it seems likely from your angle you voted to leave, then from your comments its pretty clear you didn't have a fucking clue what you were voting for. Who votes to jump off an edge without looking for themselves what's on the other side? Typical Brexiters.

I voted to leave Tuffers and I knew exactly what I was voting for. ......................

The way I saw it was the Remainers were voting for the same old clueless EU club who didn't have a Scooby............and more importantly, they didn't want to listen to any suggestions of change in their dysfunctional club.

Why should we keep paying into the EU budget to support all the 18 "lame duck" countries - some of these like Portugal ,Greece, Luxembourg had been in the EU or it's predecessor a lot longer than us yet won't or more likely don't want to put their houses in order.

It took Ireland almost 40 yrs to become contributers, yet the EU kept voting to take in more and more countries who all want a nice piece of the pie without paying in. No wonder the "fish faced old boot" who runs Scotland wants them back in, she wants all the handouts ffs.

We were paying in more than France ffs, who were a founder member of the EU, have a similar population, yet who country is over twice as large as us - that can't be right.

Sorry moosh, charity starts at home and that means looking after our own people with our (me & you) taxes -not giving them away to be spent in another country.
Denmark, Ireland, and the United Kingdom joined in 1973, Greece in 1981, Spain and Portugal in 1986. In subsequent years many other countries joined the Union.

RE: Things they said would happen after Brexit - exterminator - 22-02-2021

(22-02-2021, 11:23 AM)Isaac Huntr Wrote: Denmark, Ireland, and the United Kingdom joined in 1973, Greece in 1981, Spain and Portugal in 1986. In subsequent years many other countries joined the Union.

Ok "Yousacoont"  I got the years about Greece and Portugal wrong, however Portugal been in 36 yrs, still not contributing, Greece 40 yrs plus , will they ever contribute.

On top of that you have all the former Soviet Bloc States  Poland, Romania, Hungary and the Soviet puppet states  Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania who saw a good thing and were stupidly  let in. 

That resulted in  over 2/3 of the EU states taking, and the 1/3 (including the UK) giving - not any more though because thankfully we are out !!!

RE: Things they said would happen after Brexit - oi oi saveloy - 22-02-2021

Tufnell has kids ffs he shouldn’t really be allowed to breed.

Savzzzz is awake Confused

Ex, in twenty years time you can add us to that 'lame' list of yours.

RE: Things they said would happen after Brexit - exterminator - 22-02-2021

(22-02-2021, 05:28 PM)Tufnell_Chimes Wrote: Ex, in twenty years time you can add us to that 'lame' list of yours.

We'll be ringing out the Chimes Tuffs  with you, just like we are now with vaccines away from the restrictions of the EU.  

PFC will also be thriving in the upper echelons of football.