TrueBlueArmy Forums
Reflections on last night - Printable Version

+- TrueBlueArmy Forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com)
+-- Forum: TBA forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Play Up Pompey (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: Reflections on last night (/showthread.php?tid=2356)

Reflections on last night - DeepBlue - 26-10-2022

We were poor for 70 mins till the red card but played  well after that, taking advantage tactically of the extra man very well.  Could easily have won if the ref wasn't blind and had seen the foul on Pigott near the end (the most blatant penalty I've seen for a long time, but havent seen a replay of it)  but could still have lost if the ref had not been blind and missed Bishop's handball for the goal.  So a draw was a fair result. 

Oxford were better than a team in their position should be, and their goal was worth the admission price on its own. 

Swanson is lightweight, too easily muscled out of things and poor in the air. Quite good coming forward though. Easy to see why DC decided to play Ogilvie there instead.  On last night's showing Freeman would be a better bet. 

Mingi was trying to hard to beat people with the ball rather than pass. Disappointingly poor after what sounds like a good game on Saturday.  You have to wonder how a player can reach his 22nd birthday without playing a league game ? 

Tunnicliffe is a reliable backup player and had a very decent second half. 

Getting a point in a game when none of the midfield four were what most people would regard as the normal first choice was quite an achievement, especially when the middle two were 5th & 6th choice for that position.  That shows the depth of the squad (not matched in all positions) and also shows the team have a bit of character and don't give up.  

Scarlett is no longer living up to the hype .... his last few games have been way, way below what he showed at the start of the season. 

Robertson is a class player, thoroughly deserved MOTM. 

Hackett is improving and his injury last night is more of a blow than I would have thought a couple of months ago.

RE: Reflections on last night - DeepBlue - 26-10-2022

and quite surprised looking at the stats that we had 67% possession and 19 goal attempts ... it didn't feel like that sort of game.

RE: Reflections on last night - bluetagagain - 26-10-2022

We see different things. I think Bishops goal was good, not hand ball unless you count using a shoulder to control counts. You can see this on the replay y. I thought Mingi played ok given the circumstances and the cheating opponents , maybe he didn’t want to get booked. Agreed we should’ve had a penalty for a foul on Pigott, but this ref like many others in this league was a pedantic bag of shite ( to put it eloquently). Freeman should’ve played instead of Swanson. Tunnicliffe and Recco had possibly their best games for us.
Raggett will be a big miss.

I thought it was possibly shoulder watching it live, but if you watch the replay carefully it's definitely lower than the shoulder, and anything below the shoulder is handball.

RE: Reflections on last night - Cunninglinguist - 26-10-2022

(26-10-2022, 11:11 AM)DeepBlue Wrote: I thought it was possibly shoulder watching it live, but if you watch the replay carefully it's definitely lower than the shoulder, and anything below the shoulder is handball.

I don’t think the referee had a replay to watch before making his decision.

It looked to me like it came across his shoulder above the tee shirt sleeve line. Bishop claims it hit his chest.

RE: Reflections on last night - bluetagagain - 26-10-2022

Regardless , it was everything Oxford deserved

RE: Reflections on last night - ForeverPompey - 26-10-2022

After a shoddy hour we deserved a point but no more. You can't expect to win games by only playing for 30 mins (and even that only came about because of the red card perhaps).

(26-10-2022, 11:16 AM)Cunninglinguist Wrote:
(26-10-2022, 11:11 AM)DeepBlue Wrote: I thought it was possibly shoulder watching it live, but if you watch the replay carefully it's definitely lower than the shoulder, and anything below the shoulder is handball.

It looked to me like it came across his shoulder above the tee shirt sleeve line. Bishop claims it hit his chest.

Tee shirt sleeve line would still be handball, but the replay to me looks like it was lower than that.

But if Bishop thinks his chest can knock the  ball into the air from that angle he must be a contortionist.

RE: Reflections on last night - Hammie - 26-10-2022

Scarlett is only 18 and will have been watched for several games now. I'm sure he will come good again but might need some time coming off the bench.
Mingi. Not playing until 22? Reflects the system these days. If you sign for a prem or champ club as a youngster you rarely get any league games before being released. So much better to join a side lower down the pyramid, get some games and then move up. It worked pretty well for Chaplin perhaps?
I can't recall Oxford not being tough opponents at this level so a point is a point. If we had 18 shots and possession, it sounds like the typical modern performance by so many teams with lots of so called shots from miles out. How many were from inside the box or even the 6 yard box, that's where strikers do the business.

RE: Reflections on last night - TBP - 26-10-2022

(26-10-2022, 11:02 AM)bluetagagain Wrote: We see different things. I think Bishops goal was good, not hand ball unless you count using a shoulder to control counts. You can see this on the replay y. I thought Mingi played ok given the circumstances and the cheating opponents , maybe he didn’t want to get booked. Agreed we should’ve had a penalty for a foul on Pigott, but this ref like many others in this league was a pedantic bag of shite ( to put it eloquently). Freeman should’ve played instead of Swanson. Tunnicliffe and Recco had possibly their best games for us.
Raggett will be a big miss.

I 'm slightly bemused at the comments on Mingi, he looked good to me, all through.

RE: Reflections on last night - TBP - 26-10-2022

(26-10-2022, 12:09 PM)Hammie Wrote: Scarlett is only 18 and will have been watched for several games now. I'm sure he will come good again but might need some time coming off the bench.
Mingi. Not playing until 22? Reflects the system these days. If you sign for a prem or champ club as a youngster you rarely get any league games before being released. So much better to join a side lower down the pyramid, get some games and then move up. It worked pretty well for Chaplin perhaps?
I can't recall Oxford not being tough opponents at this level so a point is a point. If we had 18 shots and possession, it sounds like the typical modern performance by so many teams with lots of so called shots from miles out. How many were from inside the box or even the 6 yard box, that's where strikers do the business.

Or, in other words, why experienced professionals, Bishop and Pigott, should start

(26-10-2022, 11:51 AM)DeepBlue Wrote:

Tee shirt sleeve line would still be handball, but the replay to me looks like it was lower than that.

But if Bishop thinks his chest can knock the  ball into the air from that angle he must be a contortionist.

Well I did say above the t shirt line and as the actual contact area is only counted as handball if it’s below the armpit line, I claim the winning prize!

Oh and it wasn’t given as handball, so I’m right, so there!

(26-10-2022, 05:01 PM)Cunninglinguist Wrote:

Well I did say above the t shirt line and as the actual contact area is only counted as handball if it’s below the armpit line, I claim the winning prize!

but   but    no part part of the arm is above the armpit . 

The highlights on the official site show the incident several times from several angles and on none of them does it look high enough to be above the armpit. 

But as you say, it wasnt handball because the ref didn't give it. 

I'd be more interested in seeing the penalty incident again, but haven't seen any highlights showing that.

RE: Reflections on last night - slayer - 26-10-2022

It had a touch of Paul Cook to it last night. We enjoyed possession but had no cutting edge

RE: Reflections on last night - Pompeyg100 - 26-10-2022

(26-10-2022, 05:54 PM)DeepBlue Wrote:
(26-10-2022, 05:01 PM)Cunninglinguist Wrote:

but   but    no part part of the arm is above the armpit . 

The highlights on the official site show the incident several times from several angles and on none of them does it look high enough to be above the armpit. 

But as you say, it wasnt handball because the ref didn't give it. 

I'd be more interested in seeing the penalty incident again, but haven't seen any highlights showing that.

You have very odd arms then.

Right, having just watched the extended highlights, I can quite clearly state that it was exactly as Bishop states. The ball clearly hits his chest and it couldn’t be any clearer from the reverse angle camera.

As to the ´penalty’, the defender (No. 27) has the ball knocked through his legs and Pigott turns into him. No penalty. Interesting to note that I can’t see anyone other than Pigott claiming it either.