TrueBlueArmy Forums
World cup - Printable Version

+- TrueBlueArmy Forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com)
+-- Forum: TBA forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Play Up Pompey (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: World cup (/showthread.php?tid=2427)

Pages: 1 2

World cup - Jizbag - 20-11-2022

5 mins in and VAR have already ballsed it up!

RE: World cup - Northstander - 20-11-2022

Still totally baffled why that goal was ruled out

RE: World cup - Tufnell_Chimes - 20-11-2022

Qatar didn’t like it, and it’s their ball.

RE: World cup - Northstander - 20-11-2022

(20-11-2022, 07:46 PM)Tufnell_Chimes Wrote: Qatar didn’t like it, and it’s their ball.

Big Grin

RE: World cup - Ain’t got a Danny - 20-11-2022

(20-11-2022, 07:34 PM)Northstander Wrote: Still totally baffled why that goal was ruled out

Offside apparently.

The Qataris didn’t look as bad as they will against a team that means business, especially if second place in the group looks like it will be decided on goal difference.

FIFA at one point stopped the hosts qualifying automatically before realising that May have been a bad decision but a World Cup with Qatar and without some of the bigger teams is nonsense.

RE: World cup - Tufnell_Chimes - 20-11-2022

The Netherlands are going rip them to pieces, just to shove it down their throats. Wouldn’t be surprised to see double digits vs nil.

RE: World cup - Ain’t got a Danny - 20-11-2022

It’s what did for Scotland years ago. Failing to hammer Zaire.

RE: World cup - Gerry Hatrick - 21-11-2022

Not going to watch any of this sham tournament but it's good to know Qatar have got the message that they can buy people and sporting events but on the pitch, football has the last word. I hope they get utterly humiliated against Holland.

RE: World cup - DeepBlue - 21-11-2022

Turns out that the VAR decision was technically correct, which surprised me, but there was still no excuse for the lack of explanation from VAR at the time which led to so much confusion in the ground and probably every TV studio in the world. 

Equally it doesn't say much for the expertise in the BBC studio (and others) that they could not analyse why the decision was correct. They were far too happy to imply that the decision was somehow fixed in Qatar's favour.  

https://www.espn.co.uk/football/fifa-world-cup/story/4807433/2022-world-cup-var-review-every-decision-analysed

RE: World cup - Jizbag - 21-11-2022

I thought VAR was there in case of obvious mistakes by the referee, not to analyse whether a player is offside by a gnat's cock. Should never have been reviewed in the first place. VAR sucks the joy out of the game when used for every goal.

(21-11-2022, 09:49 AM)Jizbag Wrote: I thought VAR was there in case of obvious mistakes by the referee, not to analyse whether a player is offside by a gnat's cock. Should never have been reviewed in the first place. VAR sucks the joy out of the game when used for every goal.

Agreed.

But it's never going to be like that again now they have worked out how to automate most of the judgement. 

I just pray it never spreads down the leagues.

RE: World cup - Northstander - 21-11-2022

No doubt about the Bellingham goal..He made his first team debut for Brum at Fp of course aged 16

RE: World cup - Pompeyg100 - 21-11-2022

How many are watching who said they wouldn’t? Be honest!

RE: World cup - teeftwo - 21-11-2022

(21-11-2022, 02:05 PM)Pompeyg100 Wrote: How many are watching who said they wouldn’t? Be honest!

Haven't watched a minute yet.

RE: World cup - Rescue Dog - 21-11-2022

(21-11-2022, 02:05 PM)Pompeyg100 Wrote: How many are watching who said they wouldn’t? Be honest!

Did not and will not watch the Corporate/Jihadi World Cup (100%); no matter how far England progress.

RE: World cup - ForeverPompey - 21-11-2022

I am watching every minute I can. Where was the fake outrage when it was in human rights ignoring China? Or in Russia after they illegally annexed Crimea?

RE: World cup - Jizbag - 21-11-2022

VAR again makes a balls up.

RE: World cup - Pompeyg100 - 21-11-2022

(21-11-2022, 03:02 PM)Rescue Dog Wrote:

Did not and will not watch the Corporate/Jihadi World Cup (100%); no matter how far England progress.

All world cups are corporate lol.

(21-11-2022, 03:19 PM)ForeverPompey Wrote: I am watching every minute I can. Where was the fake outrage when it was in human rights ignoring China? Or in Russia after they illegally annexed Crimea?

Or in England in 1966 ?  

Homosexuality was illegal in the UK then.

RE: World cup - Isaac Hunt - 21-11-2022

Offsides should be left to the lino,and only flagged if absolutely obvious and gives a blatant advantage
Having a toenail offside did not affect the goal

RE: World cup - Ain’t got a Danny - 21-11-2022

VAR was brought in after years of fans complaining rightly about inconsistent or just plain awful match officials. The Lampard goal that wasn’t at the 2010 WC was an obvious case.

But VAR has a problem, it’s still used by those same inconsistent match officials who are now able make the decisions based on what they see on screen. If their judgement is poor or subject to other influences nothing changes.

Maguire was fouled in the box for all to see but no pen. The Qatar player had his shirt pulled which technically is a pen but referees don’t tend to give.

RE: World cup - Gerry Hatrick - 21-11-2022

(21-11-2022, 03:19 PM)ForeverPompey Wrote: I am watching every minute I can. Where was the fake outrage when it was in human rights ignoring China? Or in Russia after they illegally annexed Crimea

Er, it was nowhere because China has never hosted the WC!  Big Grin

RE: World cup - exgaffer - 21-11-2022

(21-11-2022, 04:25 PM)DeepBlue Wrote:
(21-11-2022, 03:19 PM)ForeverPompey Wrote: I am watching every minute I can. Where was the fake outrage when it was in human rights ignoring China? Or in Russia after they illegally annexed Crimea?

Or in England in 1966 ?  

Homosexuality was illegal in the UK then.

Homosexuality was illegal pretty much everywhere back then.

Your point is..,,..,,?

No point really. Just an observation.

But if there was any point maybe it was that that situation would never have changed without protests and campaigns, which nowadays would get written off as virtue signalling. As if virtue was a bad thing.

RE: World cup - kindofblue - 21-11-2022

No truth in the rumour that four Brits have been arrested for chanting'get your face out for the lads' at Qatari women I hope.....