TrueBlueArmy Forums
Colby Bishop - Printable Version

+- TrueBlueArmy Forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com)
+-- Forum: TBA forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Play Up Pompey (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: Colby Bishop (/showthread.php?tid=2440)

Colby Bishop - Cunninglinguist - 25-11-2022

71% accuracy from 28 shots, apparently. 

That’s a bloody good reason to make him the centre of things and to get him the service he needs.

RE: Colby Bishop - slayer - 25-11-2022

We have a league winner in the team.

Now for the other 10...

RE: Colby Bishop - Pompeyg100 - 25-11-2022

Absolutely, we should be doing everything we can to get the ball to him in scoring positions. Unfortunately it will take DC another 6 months to realise.

RE: Colby Bishop - DeepBlue - 25-11-2022

DC isn't dping too bad a job with him so far is he ?   He's the third highest scorer in the league and the best goals per game record for us since god knows when.

And it could be a lot better. Is there a graph for his goals to games ratio? Is it going up or down?

(25-11-2022, 02:32 PM)Pompeyg100 Wrote: And it could be a lot better. Is there a graph for his goals to games ratio? Is it going up or down?

Actually we don't know if he can do better, he has never scored more than 10 in a season in the football league so this run is by far his best.  I'm not saying he couldn't, but I think criticising Cowley for his record so far sounds a bit desperate.

All we can say is that Cowley is getting the best of him in his career so far.

RE: Colby Bishop - Deebo - 25-11-2022

One way to get the best from Bishop would be to stop the wingers on both flanks cutting in on virtually every occasion and cramping the penalty area. Create some width, give an early decent delivery and you get space for Bishop to do his thing. When Dale went to the byline in the first half against Derby we looked a different team. He can do it but not often enough for me. As for Koroma and Curtis it’s the same thing every time.

(25-11-2022, 03:21 PM)DeepBlue Wrote:
(25-11-2022, 02:32 PM)Pompeyg100 Wrote: And it could be a lot better. Is there a graph for his goals to games ratio? Is it going up or down?

Actually we don't know if he can do better, he has never scored more than 10 in a season in the football league so this run is by far his best.  I'm not saying he couldn't, but I think criticising Cowley for his record so far sounds a bit desperate.

All we can say is that Cowley is getting the best of him in his career so far.

He’s done better this season than he has recently so yes we do. Only desperate thing is playing Scarlett week after week with very little reward.

Again, which way is the graph going?

No, he hasn't done better then recently. He's done better than ever.  You can't knock Cowley for that. 

Not sure how you draw a graph but a bar chart of his goals this season would show a fantastic start followed by a consistent good.

But he has been better earlier this season than recently and the graph would show that. You can try and spin it however you want but it’s still a fact.

Cowley did get the best out of him and now he isn’t.

Something is off colour. Kind of a Scarlett colour, with overpowering tones of Lillywhite

RE: Colby Bishop - Pedalo_menders - 25-11-2022

People have VERY short memories. Thus time last year we had Harrisson & Marquis ffs. Things are far better in that department. It's midfield & defence that need sorting out.

RE: Colby Bishop - dsmg - 25-11-2022

Funny that though Pedalo. On paper midfield is excellent (Pack, Lowery, Morrell, Thompson with Mingi, Hackett, Tunnicliffe as back up) and the defence is also good with Rafferty, Raggett, Robertson, Ogilvie, with Morrison, Swanson, Freeman and Hume as back up. The problem is keeping them fit. I reckon we'll have a good second half of the season if we can keep more or less injury free and the play-offs should be assured.

(25-11-2022, 06:05 PM)Pompeyg100 Wrote: But he has been better earlier this season than recently and the graph would show that. You can try and spin it however you want but it’s still a fact.

If your argument is that Pigott should have started more than he has I wouldn't disagree, in fact I got pelters for suggesting that at the start of the season, but I don't think that has much impact on Bishop - he will score goals with either partner as he had proven. The difference is that I think Pigott would score more than Scarlett, with the downside being a lack of pace up front.  

But to argue that choosing Scarlett's pace over Pigott's finishing is somehow mishandling Bishop and not getting the best out of him is arrant nonsense, as Bishop's success this season proves.   

Scarlett had a good game on Tuesday and scored a good goal, let's hope that is him returning to form, though according to the News it is now less than certain that Spurs will let hoim play tomorrow.

Disagree. Scarlett forces Bishop to drop deep and play the hold up role. We want Bishop right up front in the 9, as he was when we went like the clappers at season's start

(25-11-2022, 07:30 PM)DeepBlue Wrote:
(25-11-2022, 06:05 PM)Pompeyg100 Wrote: But he has been better earlier this season than recently and the graph would show that. You can try and spin it however you want but it’s still a fact.

If your argument is that Pigott should have started more than he has I wouldn't disagree, in fact I got pelters for suggesting that at the start of the season, but I don't think that has much impact on Bishop - he will score goals with either partner as he had proven. The difference is that I think Pigott would score more than Scarlett, with the downside being a lack of pace up front.  

But to argue that choosing Scarlett's pace over Pigott's finishing is somehow mishandling Bishop and not getting the best out of him is arrant nonsense, as Bishop's success this season proves.   

Scarlett had a good game on Tuesday and scored a good goal, let's hope that is him returning to form, though according to the News it is now less than certain that Spurs will let hoim play tomorrow.

It’s not nonsense it’s proven fact. Scarlett returning from? He has 4 goals and zero assists playing in a front 2.

RE: Colby Bishop - Cunninglinguist - 25-11-2022

(25-11-2022, 04:36 PM)Deebo Wrote: One way to get the best from Bishop would be to stop the wingers on both flanks cutting in on virtually every occasion and cramping the penalty area. Create some width, give an early decent delivery and you get space for Bishop to do his thing. When Dale went to the byline in the first half against Derby we looked a different team. He can do it but not often enough for me. As for Koroma and Curtis it’s the same thing every time.

Surprisingly, Dale has the most assists, apparently. Probably all from the byline.

RE: Colby Bishop - Hammie - 26-11-2022

(25-11-2022, 09:53 PM)Cunninglinguist Wrote:
(25-11-2022, 04:36 PM)Deebo Wrote: One way to get the best from Bishop would be to stop the wingers on both flanks cutting in on virtually every occasion and cramping the penalty area. Create some width, give an early decent delivery and you get space for Bishop to do his thing. When Dale went to the byline in the first half against Derby we looked a different team. He can do it but not often enough for me. As for Koroma and Curtis it’s the same thing every time.

Surprisingly, Dale has the most assists, apparently. Probably all from the byline.

huge difference having Hume with a left foot putting in crosses today. With Dal on the otehr side we could actually stretch opposition defenders across the ptich.

RE: Colby Bishop - West Australian Portsmouth Fan - 27-11-2022

(26-11-2022, 10:45 PM)Hammie Wrote:

huge difference having Hume with a left foot putting in crosses today. With Dal on the otehr side we could actually stretch opposition defenders across the ptich.

But will Dale be able to handle the defensive responsibilities demanded when playing with wing backs?

RE: Colby Bishop - Daniel - 27-11-2022

(27-11-2022, 05:47 AM)West Australian Portsmouth Fan Wrote:

But will Dale be able to handle the defensive responsibilities demanded when playing with wing backs?

Of playing 5 at the back I’d play dale in the 10 in a 352

RE: Colby Bishop - Cunninglinguist - 27-11-2022

I thought he did more than his fair share of defending. He was the wingback when we went with three at the back.

RE: Colby Bishop - West Australian Portsmouth Fan - 27-11-2022

(27-11-2022, 08:19 AM)Cunninglinguist Wrote:

I thought he did more than his fair share of defending. He was the wingback when we went with three at the back.

Well that answers my question then, thanks for that

RE: Colby Bishop - West Australian Portsmouth Fan - 28-11-2022

(27-11-2022, 08:19 AM)Cunninglinguist Wrote:

Well that answers my question then, thanks for that