TrueBlueArmy Forums
A theory - Printable Version

+- TrueBlueArmy Forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com)
+-- Forum: TBA forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Play Up Pompey (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: A theory (/showthread.php?tid=248)

A theory - DeepBlue - 21-02-2021

We've hit our bad patch, a pretty awful one too but nothing different from runs that the likes of Hull, Sunderland, Peterboro & Doncaster have hit this season and they are still in it, so so can we be if no-one gives up like many fans seem to be doing this week.  

But what has caused it ? My theory is that the Salary Cap verdict has taken the urgency out of it for the players. 
A fair number of them are no longer facing the prospect of being forced out or losing half of their salaries if they do not go up - that is quite some motivaton to have lost.

RE: A theory - Isaac Hunt - 21-02-2021

Although hasn't Catlin said that salaries need to go down,or words to that effect ?

RE: A theory - stayinupforever - 21-02-2021

Has Daniels arrival upset the squad in any way?

RE: A theory - slayer - 21-02-2021

Giving up and being pissed off are completely different things.

RE: A theory - Cressers - 21-02-2021

Occam's razor: An average at best team led by a clueless manager.

RE: A theory - Pedalo_menders - 21-02-2021

(21-02-2021, 03:20 PM)DeepBlue Wrote: We've hit our bad patch, a pretty awful one too but nothing different from runs that the likes of Hull, Sunderland, Peterboro & Doncaster have hit this season and they are still in it, so so can we be if no-one gives up like many fans seem to be doing this week.  

But what has caused it ? My theory is that the Salary Cap verdict has taken the urgency out of it for the players. 
A fair number of them are no longer facing the prospect of being forced out or losing half of their salaries if they do not go up - that is quite some motivaton to have lost.

Fact check: Weve hit our second bad patch this season.

My theory: This isn't a bad patch, this is our usual form, previously we were on a run, powered by the forms of Curtis and Harness, which have now come to an end.

RE: A theory - Northstandgeorge - 21-02-2021

Trouble with your theory is we had already lost at home to Hull and Lincoln and drawn with Plymouth fortuitously,
before the annoucment was made. It also follows similar patterns of previous seasons. January signings made by Jackett have been a disaster every year Im struggling to think of one player who has made a significant improvement to the team.

RE: A theory - Wightblue - 21-02-2021

Don’t Jackett and Gallen have to bear the lion’s share of the responsibility for the current shambles that is our first team ?

Jackett bought in the great majority of our current squad, J&G train and motivate them, set the tactics etc, if the players have become complacent, then it’s for J&G to do something about it.

Perhaps it’s J&G who are complacent, Contract(s) extended, little visible pressure from the Fratton Hierarchy, just the same old same old.

I do hope Pompey can get their show back on the road but I have my doubts unless some radical shake up of our approach to games happens, stop being so defensively minded, stop relying on the same failing players and give it a ‘right good go’ as ‘Arry would say.

I would rather we went down with a bang and not with a whimper which is what we are currently doing: Yesterday just one attempt on target- and that from a central defender, the Blackpool goalkeeper keeping his gloves clean.

J&G, Catlin and Eisner can thank their collective lucky stars that Fratton Park was empty yesterday, given a normal match day crowd, they would have almost certainly got a very rude awakening - perhaps they all need a wake-up call !

In a more enlightened age they would have been taken out and collectively burnt at the stake !

It's dull to watch, surely it is dull to play in as well?

RE: A theory - DeepBlue - 21-02-2021

(21-02-2021, 04:37 PM)Northstandgeorge Wrote: Trouble with your theory is we had already lost at home to Hull and Lincoln and drawn with Plymouth fortuitously,
before the annoucment was made. It also follows similar patterns of previous seasons. January signings made by Jackett have been a disaster every year Im struggling to think of one player who has made a significant improvement to the team.

Indeed, Hull outplayed us on the day so was perhaps the sign of things to come, but against Lincoln & Plymuth we looked like a team trying and playing for each other .. a massive contrast to how they looked this week. 

As I said, it's only a theory. 

And to answer your last question I'd say Seddon. But generally of course January is a terrible time to do anything other than get reserves in to cover areas where you have little back-up. It is very rare for january signings to make a huge difference at any club at our level.  At least this years crop come under the OK category (IMO) on what we have seen so far, better than previous seasons at least.

RE: A theory - bluetagagain - 21-02-2021

My theory. 2 words - Kenny Jackett

RE: A theory - Hammie - 21-02-2021

We just look like a team playing with a lack of self belief for whatever reason. Shame really as all of these players have proved they can do it at this level. The defence have a long record of clean sheets. The attacking part of the team are among the top scorers in this league. Naylor was having his best season for us although he seems keen to collect a card a game at times. Canon seemed key but seems tired to me.

RE: A theory - TBP - 21-02-2021

(21-02-2021, 04:14 PM)Cressers Wrote: Occam's razor: An average at best team led by a clueless manager.

No, William of Occam has no insights to offer on this. Just keeping things simple probably isn't what is required.

RE: A theory - Deebo - 21-02-2021

I have a theory. Could Jackett be on the spectrum?

RE: A theory - Gerry Hatrick - 21-02-2021

(21-02-2021, 06:04 PM)Deebo Wrote: I have a theory. Could Jackett be on the spectrum?

My theory is that the opposition score more goals than us.
And there's more...
I believe - and it's just a theory, remember - that if they continue to out-score us, we will lose more games.
There, I've said it.

RE: A theory - exgaffer - 22-02-2021

(21-02-2021, 03:20 PM)DeepBlue Wrote: We've hit our bad patch, a pretty awful one too but nothing different from runs that the likes of Hull, Sunderland, Peterboro & Doncaster have hit this season and they are still in it, so so can we be if no-one gives up like many fans seem to be doing this week.  

Deep, that is a load of Cobblers.

The fans have only given up because they see the rubbish served up week in week out.  Jackett has a paper record that looks good, but never wins the games that actually matter. Every game is approached from a defensive position, no matter the quality of opposition. As for entertainment, we know we can forget that.

Your theory on the players leaves out important factors, like the fact that they are professionals being paid handsomely for doing something most of us would have given our right arm for. Pride in their job and a desire to succeed should be incentive enough. If they had a manager who didn’t keep messing them about and whose tactics weren’t baffling at best, they would be more than capable of getting promoted from this league.

RE: A theory - bluetagagain - 22-02-2021

3 seasons of abject football and nearly made it tales, oh and a shit pot trophy nobody outside L1 and 2 give a care about. Jackett has caused and is the cause of this not the salary cap or anything else.

RE: A theory - slayer - 22-02-2021

That January collapse should have been punished with his sacking.

RE: A theory - Rick Pumpkin - 22-02-2021

(22-02-2021, 08:54 AM)exgaffer Wrote:

Deep, that is a load of Cobblers.

The fans have only given up because they see the rubbish served up week in week out.  Jackett has a paper record that looks good, but never wins the games that actually matter. Every game is approached from a defensive position, no matter the quality of opposition. As for entertainment, we know we can forget that.

Your theory on the players leaves out important factors, like the fact that they are professionals being paid handsomely for doing something most of us would have given our right arm for. Pride in their job and a desire to succeed should be incentive enough. If they had a manager who didn’t keep messing them about and whose tactics weren’t baffling at best, they would be more than capable of getting promoted from this league.

Gaff, in almost four seasons I've seen no sign of any tactics on display from KJ.  What I have seen are continual aimless hoofs upfield to a lone forward who then has no one to work with or play the ball off to, as the midfield is too deep and we've no Usain Bolt-like players capable of making the ground up that fast.  Occasionally, very occasionally, there seems to be a player mutiny and they'll actually play like half-decent footballers, but that pretty quickly gets knocked out of them and they revert to type.

RE: A theory - Peter_Mellor's_Got_No_Hair - 23-02-2021

How about journeymen pro's who know that they wouldn't get a contract renewal if we got promoted into the championship?

They can get into the top 6 easily enough, and are better than most teams in the league, but when it comes to the big games of big moments, they unexplainably produce lacklustre performances or start making incredibly bad individual errors. It doesn't take much to just play within yourself for a few games and drop the effort down a little bit.

As fans we are desperate for success and promotion, but if you have no affiliation with the club and its a job, would it be better to be a well paid player at a big fish in a small pond club, where you can have another year on the contract, playing at a level you know you can handle and have proved yourself at or get your current club promoted only to be shown the door?

It's a terribly cynical theory!