TrueBlueArmy Forums
League 2 beckoning. - Printable Version

+- TrueBlueArmy Forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com)
+-- Forum: TBA forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Play Up Pompey (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: League 2 beckoning. (/showthread.php?tid=2564)

League 2 beckoning. - TBP - 01-01-2023

Yes, it really is that bad. Cowley should have gone at the end of last season. Surely he isn't going to be allowed to blow the January window budget.

RE: League 2 beckoning. - Hammie - 01-01-2023

Looked like a relegation team today. Give away soft chances]give away soft goals
don't score enough, look like they don't believe in what they are being asked to do.
Get square pegs in square holes, ditch the passing out from the back crap and ask the players to do what they are good at. (ie don't expect Raggie to play like Beckenbaur)

RE: League 2 beckoning. - TBP - 01-01-2023

How long ago was it that Pompey topped League 1?

(01-01-2023, 07:11 PM)TBP Wrote: How long ago was it that Pompey topped League 1?

was it 12th September?

RE: League 2 beckoning. - Cressers - 01-01-2023

Well we wanted some excitement in our season. A relegation dogfight might be it.

we usually escape relegation last game in Yorkshire!

RE: League 2 beckoning. - Northstander - 01-01-2023

Just had a look at 3rd Sept when we beat Peterborough (our last home win). We were 2nd only on goal difference of 1 to the leaders Ipswich. Port Vale were 13th and Barton's lot were 21st. Whatever Cullen has said, our drop down the league is alarming. The games in hand (4 next Saturday) are irrelevant to me because we haven't won in the league since early October (Forest Green away).

RE: League 2 beckoning. - Cunninglinguist - 01-01-2023

(01-01-2023, 07:27 PM)Northstander Wrote: Just had a look at 3rd Sept when we beat Peterborough (our last home win). We were 2nd only on goal difference of 1 to the leaders Ipswich. Port Vale were 13th and Barton's lot were 21st. Whatever Cullen has said, our drop down the league is alarming. The games in hand (4 next Saturday) are irrelevant to me because we haven't won in the league since early October (Forest Green away).

I believe we are easily good enough to garner sufficient points to avert relegation but only because of our lightning start to the season.

The most shocking part of your post is that we haven’t won a game at home since 3rd September. The majority of fans don’t get to see away games (I, any other Ifollow subscribers, and away fans, at least got to see a win at FGR). Why would you want to buy a Pompey season ticket, with that home record?

That, as a minimum reason, is why there has to be a change.

Agree Cunning re ST's 3rd Sept last home league win, Peterborough (The Queen was still alive God Bless her and Boris was technically still PM) and 22nd Oct since we won a league game, at Forest Green. I've had conversations on here before with g-100 I think but I honestly believe the Eisners are more interested in what I call the P Pot Trophy than the league. Weather permitting we have 2 trips to Bolton in 5 days after the Spurs tie. Interesting to see what team Cowley puts out for both

Just looked at our January league fixtures. Bolton away, Exeter at home (who have won 2 away games since Boxing Day), Fleetwood and Peterborough both away.

RE: League 2 beckoning. - 66zoolane - 01-01-2023

I don't think League 2 is beckoning, but only because there are far worse teams.

This particular decline is bizarre though. In recent seasons, it's been good results before imploding, but this year, we we're GREAT at the start of the season. We weren't just scrapping through, we deserved to be where we were and there was real hope.

And then this. We've had injuries etc, but this is so removed from where we started, it's pretty unbelievable.

(01-01-2023, 08:27 PM)66zoolane Wrote: I don't think League 2 is beckoning, but only because there are far worse teams.

This particular decline is bizarre though. In recent seasons, it's been good results before imploding, but this year, we we're GREAT at the start of the season. We weren't just scrapping through, we deserved to be where we were and there was real hope.

And then this. We've had injuries etc, but this is so removed from where we started, it's pretty unbelievable.

I don’t think I’ve ever seen such a transformation before. Maybe Millwall, a while back.

RE: League 2 beckoning. - briefcase_wanchor - 01-01-2023

The start was losing Rafferty and Lowery. Cowley just hasn't been had the ability able to adjust to those loses, either with his selection or systems. Further, the front players have also gone to shit. Other injuries and some simply abysmal refereeing play an added small part.

(01-01-2023, 08:42 PM)briefcase_wanchor Wrote: The start was losing Rafferty and Lowery. Cowley just hasn't been had the ability able to adjust to those loses, either with his selection or systems.  Further, the front players have also gone to shit.  Other injuries and some simply abysmal refereeing play an added small part.

And Thompson

I've said many times lately we aren't getting any luck from Referees or Linos. As an ex Ref (albeit a long time ago) I thought the Ref today was Ok 1st half, crap 2nd half. He didn't cost us the game though, errors by Pigott and Raggs then the Pack sending off saw to that. Two of my big moans about football are the way players writhe around in agony when there is nothing wrong with them and the time it takes to get a free kick taken near the penalty area. At least a minute on average, far too long. We as paying fans are being shortchanged.

(01-01-2023, 09:00 PM)Northstander Wrote: I've said many times lately we aren't getting any luck from Referees or Linos.  As an ex Ref (albeit a long time ago) I thought the Ref today was Ok 1st half, crap 2nd half.  He didn't cost us the game though, errors by Pigott and Raggs then the Pack sending off saw to that. Two of my big moans about football are the way players writhe around in agony when there is nothing wrong with them and the time it takes to get a free kick taken near the penalty area. At least a minute on average, far too long. We as paying fans are being shortchanged.

for your latter reasons I am now a convert to 60 minutes time counted to the second by an off the pitch timekeeper. 

I've ended up watching more NFL than prem or champ this winter. We could learn a lot from their use of teams of officials, a time keeper and a pitch side TV for the on pitch head referee and no one else. Teams have a way to appeal for the ref to review the last play (part of their 3 timeout rule thing) and all touchdowns automatically see the ref go and have a quick look at the pics.

RE: League 2 beckoning. - West Australian Portsmouth Fan - 02-01-2023

(01-01-2023, 08:29 PM)Cunninglinguist Wrote:
(01-01-2023, 08:27 PM)66zoolane Wrote: I don't think League 2 is beckoning, but only because there are far worse teams.

I don’t think I’ve ever seen such a transformation before. Maybe Millwall, a while back.

Millwall 1994/95 season were top of the First Division and on track for the Premier League at Christmas. Come the final day of the season their loss away at Ipswich and Pompey’s 0-1 win away at Huddersfield (Deon Burton scored the winner) saw us stay up by the skin of our teeth and the police (horses and all) having a tough day in and around Portman Road as Millwall were relegated. I remember as a lad going mental when I found out the results!

RE: League 2 beckoning. - bluetagagain - 02-01-2023

We’re not going down but neither are we going up. Next season will be L1 mediocrity unless changes are made

RE: League 2 beckoning. - Cressers - 02-01-2023

In other words we're too crap to go down.

RE: League 2 beckoning. - Pompeyg100 - 02-01-2023

Do I think we’ll go down? No, but we certainly could it dickhead can’t turn things around quickly or better yet gets sacked.