TrueBlueArmy Forums
Wilder - Printable Version

+- TrueBlueArmy Forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com)
+-- Forum: TBA forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Play Up Pompey (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: Wilder (/showthread.php?tid=2600)

Pages: 1 2

RE: Wilder - Pedalo_menders - 09-01-2023

DOF is a delicate one. It completely relies on trust between the manager (coach) and the DOF. If that relationship breaks down, it's curtains.

If the DOF gets in a shit player, he has to man up and own that mistake. They both have to be absolutely crystal clear on how the team is going to be set up to play and what the strategy is to get the best possible players in for the manger to execute the plan. Its very easy to blame the manager and say he's not using the player correctly or his tactics are shit.

Hopefully a DOF for us means no more stupid fucking loans to train prem youngsters ahead of our own.

RE: Wilder - Cunninglinguist - 09-01-2023

(09-01-2023, 12:40 AM)Pedalo_menders Wrote: DOF is a delicate one. It completely relies on trust between the manager (coach) and the DOF. If that relationship breaks down, it's curtains.

If the DOF gets in a shit player, he has to man up and own that mistake. They both have to be absolutely crystal clear on how the team is going to be set up to play and what the strategy is to get the best possible players in for the manger to execute the plan. Its very easy to blame the manager and say he's not using the player correctly or his tactics are shit.

Hopefully a DOF for us means no more stupid fucking loans to train prem youngsters ahead of our own.

You seem to know far more about it than I, Peds.

What’s the situation if it all fails? Who gets the chop?

RE: Wilder - Hammie - 09-01-2023

Funny old game.
At 60 Kenny is a dinosaur.
At 55 Wilder is the bees knees

RE: Wilder - TBP - 09-01-2023

I think you'll find it's competence rather than age that people are considering.

RE: Wilder - Hammie - 09-01-2023

If we compare the manager who followed Kenny he (Kenny) seemed to have been pretty competent at gaining results, points and a play off position.
He managed the budget better than his follower too.
He got a bit unlucky with Covid hitting the home form that we gained some many points from.
He had his time, did a competent job.
Wilder might do better and his CV looks excellent, but then Kenny's CV was pretty good too.

Will Wider actually come here on the same budget etc that Kenny agreed to work within?

RE: Wilder - Pedalo_menders - 09-01-2023

(09-01-2023, 06:18 AM)Cunninglinguist Wrote:
(09-01-2023, 12:40 AM)Pedalo_menders Wrote: DOF is a delicate one. It completely relies on trust between the manager (coach) and the DOF. If that relationship breaks down, it's curtains.

You seem to know far more about it than I, Peds.

What’s the situation if it all fails? Who gets the chop?

I basically know nothing. I would guess the manager is easier to blame. The DOF is a more senior position and it's always easier to blame the manager.

RE: Wilder - SouthseaBubble - 09-01-2023

Are we sure it was Robbie K being mooted, not Roy?? I guess one consideration is whether the club would in principle be willing to pay compensation for a manager (or head coach) currently under contract. We did so for Cook, which worked out, and not for Jackett (as far as I recall) or Cowley, which didn't. On Wilder, while it still seems unlikely, he could easily end speculation by stating openly that he doesn't wish to be considered, which he has not done as far as I'm aware. And if he is confident in his ability, he'd be back in the Championship with us before too long.

RE: Wilder - Theyak2 - 11-01-2023

(09-01-2023, 04:39 PM)Hammie Wrote: Funny old game.At 60 Kenny is a dinosaur.At 55 Wilder is the bees knees
I'm 55 and I am the bees knees, even if I've got arthritis in my ankles!

RE: Wilder - Pedalo_menders - 11-01-2023

Wilder must be wondering why he bothers picking up the phone to us.

I can't wait to hear the rational for selecting an out of work failed L1 coach with less than 2 seasons experience, over an ex prem manager with a history of promotions under his belt.

RE: Wilder - DeepBlue - 11-01-2023

(11-01-2023, 02:58 PM)Pedalo_menders Wrote: Wilder must be wondering why he bothers picking up the phone to us.

I can't wait to hear the rational for selecting an out of work failed  L1 coach with less than 2 seasons experience, over an ex prem manager with a history of promotions under his belt.

Do we know he has contacted the club, or been contacted by the club ? 

All we know is Neil Allen contacted him (or his agent) and was told he would be 'open minded' to it. 

There is a danger the club will get slated for not getting WIlder when in fact he was never seriously interested. 

And yet, he steadfastly remains in the top three of the betting.

RE: Wilder - BigSmokeBlue - 11-01-2023

(11-01-2023, 04:09 PM)DeepBlue Wrote:
(11-01-2023, 02:58 PM)Pedalo_menders Wrote: Wilder must be wondering why he bothers picking up the phone to us.

I can't wait to hear the rational for selecting an out of work failed  L1 coach with less than 2 seasons experience, over an ex prem manager with a history of promotions under his belt.

All we know is Neil Allen contacted him (or his agent) and was told he would be 'open minded' to it. 

There is a danger the club will get slated for not getting WIlder when in fact he was never seriously interested. 

If Wilder was not on the shortlist then one should really question the competence of Hughes and Cullen. I mean a manager / coach who is not only out of contract so no compo, but also has a proven track record of promotion at other clubs.

I just don’t see Wilder meeting the criteria described by Cullen last week. More likely to be a young up and coming manager like Manning. 

For the record, Wilder is my preferred choice and has been since the day the Cowleys were sacked. We have only ever seen success with an experienced manager at the helm like Burrows, Smith and Redknapp.

RE: Wilder - DeepBlue - 11-01-2023

(11-01-2023, 04:17 PM)BigSmokeBlue Wrote:
(11-01-2023, 04:09 PM)DeepBlue Wrote:

If Wilder was not on the shortlist then one should really question the competence of Hughes and Cullen. I mean a manager / coach who is not only out of contract so no compo, but also has a proven track record of promotion at other clubs.

I just don’t see Wilder meeting the criteria described by Cullen last week. More likely to be a young up and coming manager like Manning. 

For the record, Wilder is my preferred choice and has been since the day the Cowleys were sacked. We have only ever seen success with an experienced manager at the helm like Burrows, Smith and Redknapp.

Tend to agree ... but we were Burrows' first job as manager when he got us promoted. 

Problem is the club are looking to hire a head coach, not a manager.

RE: Wilder - Kingo - 11-01-2023

Hughes should hire Wilder and than sack himself.

RE: Wilder - Dibdenblue - 11-01-2023

Come on Tornate there is only one clear, experienced candidate, that if backed, can possibly get us to the playoffs. Please let’s not go for another unproven experiment.