TrueBlueArmy Forums
Eisners - Printable Version

+- TrueBlueArmy Forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com)
+-- Forum: TBA forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Play Up Pompey (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: Eisners (/showthread.php?tid=2675)

Eisners - Hammie - 20-01-2023

So if they are so bad?
Who in the last 50 years have been better for the club's long term future?

RE: Eisners - Milkins - 23-01-2023

I think we were better placed, when through the Pompey Supporters Trust, the fans actually owned the club. The debts were paid off, the club's finances were turned around & ran at a profit, the pride went back into the club and fanbase, and we won a promotion. BTW on the finances, at the end the club had £5m in its budget to do the essential ground repair works necessary at the time.

That said I don't know how the fan ownership model would have coped with Covid, but I doubt anyone would have asked for a refund on their season tickets. It is worth noting that AFC Wimbledon have survived & moved into their ground post Covid and that no clubs went actually bust solely because of it. Still with the doubt it might well be proven useful to have the Eisner's pick up the slack.

Finally, I did see an interesting thing on TV earlier this evening when Gary Neville, talking about Everton after firing Lampard etc said (the gist) that if a club is unsuccessful on the pitch over a period of 5 or 6 years, then it is probably not the various managers' fault, but the owners. The Eisners have now owned PFC for nearly 6 years. Fingers crossed that JM turns out to be a brilliant coach, but much rests on this long-shot for the Eisners' credibility.

RE: Eisners - Cunninglinguist - 23-01-2023

Oh well, if Gary Neville said it……

RE: Eisners - Hammie - 23-01-2023

I do think the EFL finance rules need reviewing. Allowing the champ relegated clubs to have a much higher budget and parachute payments makes the league anti competitive. Thus every season unless a club gets extra points taken off, which seems to only happen to small and mid size clubs, we see two of the relegated clubs at least in the top three. It took Leeds and Sheff Utd about the same time as us.

RE: Eisners - Pompeyg100 - 23-01-2023

(23-01-2023, 09:48 PM)Milkins Wrote: I think we were better placed, when through the Pompey Supporters Trust, the fans actually owned the club. The debts were paid off, the club's finances were turned around & ran at a profit, the pride went back into the club and fanbase, and we won a promotion. BTW on the finances, at the end the club had £5m in its budget to do the essential ground repair works necessary at the time.

That said I don't know how the fan ownership model would have coped with Covid, but I doubt anyone would have asked for a refund on their season tickets. It is worth noting that AFC Wimbledon have survived & moved into their ground post Covid and that no clubs went actually bust solely because of it. Still with the doubt it might well be proven useful to have the Eisner's pick up the slack.

Finally, I did see an interesting thing on TV earlier this evening when Gary Neville, talking about Everton after firing Lampard etc said (the gist) that if a club is unsuccessful on the pitch over a period of 5 or 6 years, then it is probably not the various managers' fault, but the owners. The Eisners have now owned PFC for nearly 6 years. Fingers crossed that JM turns out to be a brilliant coach, but much rests on this long-shot for the Eisners' credibility.

The PST share % would have gone down and down and the fans would constantly be asked to put their hands in their pockets.

I would imagine more than £5m has been spent on the ground.

RE: Eisners - slayer - 23-01-2023

The PST were forming plans for another angel funding Tifosy round from the fans (one assumes for North Stand repairs) when the Eisners turned up with their offer.

Don't get me wrong, I loved the fans owning the club, but pre-purchase, the revenue raising had turned into an annual exercise and we as fans can only give so much.

Then of course, Covid happened. There is no denying that the Eisners bankrolled us through that - the evidence is in the accounts. There is simply no way we could have remained profitable through Covid under fan ownership.

With the Eisners, the song "you don't always get what you want, but you get what you need" comes to mind. Football has left us behind, the top two leagues are eye-wateringly expensive compared to our previous tenure at that level, and we as a football club have no option but to take our medicine off the pitch.

On the pitch, I am as underwhelmed as the next supporter with the academy investment and the playing squad.

But can we focus solely on that when we critique the owners? In my view, no.

RE: Eisners - Rocketman - 23-01-2023

(23-01-2023, 10:31 PM)scumslayer Wrote: The PST were forming plans for another angel funding Tifosy round from the fans (one assumes for North Stand repairs) when the Eisners turned up with their offer.

Don't get me wrong, I loved the fans owning the club, but pre-purchase, the revenue raising had turned into an annual exercise and we as fans can only give so much.

Then of course, Covid happened. There is no denying that the Eisners bankrolled us through that - the evidence is in the accounts. There is simply no way we could have remained profitable through Covid under fan ownership.

With the Eisners, the song "you don't always get what you want, but you get what you need" comes to mind. Football has left us behind, the top two leagues are eye-wateringly expensive compared to our previous tenure at that level, and we as a football club have no option but to take our medicine off the pitch.

On the pitch, I am as underwhelmed as the next supporter with the academy investment and the playing squad.

But can we focus solely on that when we critique the owners? In my view, no.
I'm getting seriously worried - I fully agree with two S-S emails today

RE: Eisners - firqdays - 24-01-2023

Realism says that if the Eisner's had not taken over then we would be struggling to maintain a viable safe stadium.

Successive owners were just 'kicking the can down Frogmore road , concerning ground improvements. The Eisner's did not get any overnight acclaim by doing what they did / what they are doing. However, they seem to do what they suggested - creating a sound and stable base.

And, sorry I will say it gain - as a PST member - They are doing what they printed on the blessed tin.

RE: Eisners - Lawrence - 24-01-2023

(23-01-2023, 09:48 PM)Milkins Wrote: I think we were better placed, when through the Pompey Supporters Trust, the fans actually owned the club. The debts were paid off, the club's finances were turned around & ran at a profit, the pride went back into the club and fanbase, and we won a promotion. BTW on the finances, at the end the club had £5m in its budget to do the essential ground repair works necessary at the time.

Some valid points but I would also say that afc Wimbledon have since been relegated. Not sure how the trust would've reacted to the fallout if the playing side had begun to falter. I guess we'll never know. All we do know is the eisners are running this club like few others do in this league. Hope it works eventually.

RE: Eisners - blueandwight - 24-01-2023

Absolutely agree.
Now I expect all the idiots on here to condemn Gary Neville. In my view, he's got ot spot on and if it applies to Everton I'm pretty sure, in fact certain, it applies to a club languishing half way down League One.

RE: Eisners - blueandwight - 24-01-2023

(24-01-2023, 03:11 PM)blueandwight Wrote:

Absolutely agree.
Now I expect all the idiots on here to condemn Gary Neville. In my view, he's got ot spot on and if it applies to Everton I'm pretty sure, in fact certain, it applies to a club languishing half way down League One.

Didn't Eisner effectively say the same thing all those years ago at the Guildhall. My recollection is that he said if you're happy to be in this league in five years time then 'I'm not your man'.

RE: Eisners - Pompeyg100 - 24-01-2023

Covid wasn’t part of the plan at the Guildhall, you have to factor that in.

RE: Eisners - Jizbag - 24-01-2023

(24-01-2023, 03:34 PM)Pompeyg100 Wrote: Covid wasn’t part of the plan at the Guildhall, you have to factor that in.

Yeah because nobody has got promoted since Covid...

RE: Eisners - briefcase_wanchor - 24-01-2023

Covid didn’t just affect PFC though so that can’t be used as an excuse.

Naturally there is a lot of frustration at our league position. I believe that there would have been additional investment on the field by the Eisners if they had not needed to outlay so much on stadium upkeep. They admitted that they underestimated the dilapidation of FP which no doubt diverted resources away from squad building. That I put down to poor DD at the acquisition stage and hence the finger can be pointed at them to some extent. However, looking at matters in the round, the stadium is now safe and we are financially secure. However, these issues are out of our hands so rather than squinny (too much) I just remain ever hopeful. It will happen eventually, but as Sunderland (and probably) Ipswich and others have shown, chances are improved by greater investment in quality.

And if they didn’t have to keep the club debt free through covid they could have spent more on the pitch.

Let’s look at Ipswich, spent millions and losing ground on the top 2.

RE: Eisners - Milkins - 24-01-2023

(24-01-2023, 09:37 AM)Lawrence Wrote:

Some valid points but I would also say that afc Wimbledon have since been relegated. Not sure how the trust would've reacted to the fallout if the playing side had begun to falter. I guess we'll never know. All we do know is the eisners are running this club like few others do in this league. Hope it works eventually.

Agree but it seems we have a chance, hopefully small & reducing, of getting relegated anyway.

One thing about AFCW though; for such a relatively small club & fan-base, they seem to have been much more successful at generating money from their membership after their takeover than we were - possibly it's just a London thing. They also have managed to sell out two bonds raising a total of £9.7m.  

https://ploughlanebond.com/about-the-bond/

RE: Eisners - Pedalo_menders - 24-01-2023

I think the Eisners thought it would be much easier o run the club and get promotion, than it turned out to be.

They dawdled with the ground redevelopment using up 2 years worth of good will and are now (quite rightly) seen as a bit clueless and cheap.

I don’t see them as clueless or cheap tbh.

RE: Eisners - slayer - 24-01-2023

To be fair, the plyboard and scaffolding in the south lower is cheap.

RE: Eisners - Lawrence - 24-01-2023

(24-01-2023, 05:46 PM)scumslayer Wrote: To be fair, the plyboard and scaffolding in the south lower is cheap.

The south lower looks like a temporary stand. I'm hoping it'll look better when they build the camera gantry area.

Not that I'm moaning....

RE: Eisners - Jizbag - 24-01-2023

(24-01-2023, 05:17 PM)Pompeyg100 Wrote: I don’t see them as clueless or cheap tbh.

I think they're clueless about English football. And they clearly don't like spending much.

RE: Eisners - Rocketman - 24-01-2023

(24-01-2023, 06:51 PM)Jizbag Wrote:
(24-01-2023, 05:17 PM)Pompeyg100 Wrote: I don’t see them as clueless or cheap tbh.

I think they're clueless about English football. And they clearly don't like spending much.
What a totally dumb second comment. Are you even vaguely aware of the actual facts?

(24-01-2023, 07:07 PM)Rocketman Wrote:
(24-01-2023, 06:51 PM)Jizbag Wrote:

What a totally dumb second comment. Are you even vaguely aware of the actual facts?

Of course he isn’t. And as for the first, they’ve employed capable people to run the club.

RE: Eisners - Hammie - 24-01-2023

Covid did also impact the steady progress that Kenny was making towards the play offs on regular basis. losing our home fan advantage made a real dent in our point haul at home games.