TrueBlueArmy Forums
Morrell - Printable Version

+- TrueBlueArmy Forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com)
+-- Forum: TBA forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Play Up Pompey (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: Morrell (/showthread.php?tid=2709)

Pages: 1 2 3

Morrell - stayinupforever - 25-01-2023

Let your football do the talking not your gob.

RE: Morrell - dsmg - 25-01-2023

Always looks like he’s up for a fight and he’s only about 5 foot 2!

RE: Morrell - Lawrence - 25-01-2023

(25-01-2023, 11:40 AM)stayinupforever Wrote: Let your football do the talking not your gob.

The fleetwood no.4 got Morrell wound up big style, which considering he's an "international", was bizarre. First person in the refs ear when the ball hit Morell's hand was the fleetwood no.4.

Poor mistake on Morrell but also shows how hard he was pushing himself. After all, since October, most of the players haven't really given a shit.

RE: Morrell - Cunninglinguist - 25-01-2023

I’d have him as captain. Put a bit of responsibility on his shoulders.

RE: Morrell - Hammie - 25-01-2023

small man syndrome.
I speak from my 6'6" viewpoint of course.

RE: Morrell - firqdays - 26-01-2023

He's got a fair bit of the Mick Kennedy attitude in him , and that's good for me .

RE: Morrell - exgaffer - 26-01-2023

I prefer players with a bit of go in them and Morrell is becoming a very useful player for us.

I thought the sending off was ridiculous and the referee should have used a bit of discretion (otherwise known as common sense). A free kick and a word in his ear would have been quite sufficient.

RE: Morrell - blueandwight - 26-01-2023

(26-01-2023, 10:23 AM)exgaffer Wrote: I prefer players with a bit of go in them and Morrell is becoming a very useful player for us.

I thought the sending off was ridiculous and the referee should have used a bit of discretion (otherwise known as common sense). A free kick and a word in his ear would have been quite sufficient.

The first booking was totally unjustified as he was the innocent party and the second booking was his own fault but as people know this is a split second decision...just happened to be the wrong one!

(26-01-2023, 10:35 AM)blueandwight Wrote:
(26-01-2023, 10:23 AM)exgaffer Wrote: I prefer players with a bit of go in them and Morrell is becoming a very useful player for us.

The first booking was totally unjustified as he was the innocent party and the second booking was his own fault but as people know this is a split second decision...just happened to be the wrong one!

I didn’t mention the first one, I was talking about the second one. The handball was an instinctive reaction and should have resulted in no more than a free kick. The booking is down to the discretion of the referee and, as I say, he should just have had a word with Morrell rather than brandishing a card. It was totally unnecessary and resulted in a completely disproportionate punishment to the team.

Very poor refereeing imo.

RE: Morrell - DeepBlue - 26-01-2023

Agreed ... his handball was just that. Handball.   It didn't fulfil any of the criteria for a yellow card .

RE: Morrell - Cunninglinguist - 26-01-2023

(26-01-2023, 10:50 AM)exgaffer Wrote:
(26-01-2023, 10:35 AM)blueandwight Wrote:

I didn’t mention the first one, I was talking about the second one. The handball was an instinctive reaction and should have resulted in no more than a free kick. The booking is down to the discretion of the referee and, as I say, he should just have had a word with Morrell rather than brandishing a card. It was totally unnecessary and resulted in a completely disproportionate punishment to the team.

Very poor refereeing imo.
Shouldn’t put his hand up then, should he? It was definite hand to ball and Morrell had absolutely no complaints. A daft reaction that got punished in the correct manner.

Fortunately, his sending off didn’t affect the outcome. His ban we could definitely do without.

But deliberate handball in itself is not a yellow card offence.  

It can be red if denying a goal scoring opportunity, or yellow if breaking up a promising attack / possession, otherwise the correct punishment is just a free kick.  

Morrell's handball was so far in their half it cannot be described as breaking up an attack.

RE: Morrell - stayinupforever - 26-01-2023

Can or has it been challenged?

(26-01-2023, 12:24 PM)stayinupforever Wrote: Can or has it been challenged?

You can't challenge yellow cards. 

Only straight reds

RE: Morrell - bluetagagain - 26-01-2023

End of the day it was deliberate and he got rightly punished. If it had been an opposition player we would've been screaming for a booking.He's a big (well 4'12") boy and knew what was bound to happen.

RE: Morrell - Pedalo_menders - 26-01-2023

Is it just the 1 game he is out for? Wonder if Thompson is up to doing 90 mins yet ?

RE: Morrell - SouthseaBubble - 26-01-2023

(26-01-2023, 03:26 PM)bluetagagain Wrote: End of the day it was deliberate and he got rightly punished. If it had been an opposition player we would've been screaming for a booking.He's a big (well 4'12") boy and knew what was bound to happen.

Or was it just careless??

RE: Morrell - Hammie - 26-01-2023

if you give the referee the chance to make the decision, especially away from home then you are playing with fire. His blood was up and he did something daft,as long as he don't do it again then it will fade into his background.

(26-01-2023, 03:26 PM)bluetagagain Wrote: End of the day it was deliberate and he got rightly punished. If it had been an opposition player we would've been screaming for a booking.He's a big (well 4'12") boy and knew what was bound to happen.

I wouldn’t have been screaming for a booking because I know the laws of the game. There is no requirement for the referee to flash a yellow for that offence, especially when it is that far up the pitch.

Someone mentioned (Hammie was it?) that Morrell’s ‘blood was up’, well I fucking hope it was.

I want our players blood to be up all the time in every game, that way lies success and exciting football.

I can only repeat ..... 

yes, it was deliberate and the right punishment for deliberate handball is a direct free kick, not a yellow card.

RE: Morrell - Cunninglinguist - 27-01-2023

Morrell was deemed to have ‘persistently offended’.

The right course of action was a caution. It was his second caution.

The sending off was correct. That is the law and it was applied in this case.

RE: Morrell - DeepBlue - 27-01-2023

(27-01-2023, 06:33 AM)Cunninglinguist Wrote: Morrell was deemed to have ‘persistently offended’.

The right course of action was a caution. It was his second caution.

The sending off was correct. That is the law and it was applied in this case.

Deemed by who ? where did you read that verdict ?   I didn't see any of the usual pointing to different places on the pitch when he gave him the yellow.  But if that was the case then it could explain it. 

How many fouls had he committed since his first yellow ? Must have been a few to get a second yellow for a non-yellow card offence and he only had 5 minutes to do it between the cards.

RE: Morrell - Cunninglinguist - 27-01-2023

A yellow card is given to a player who ‘persistently infringes the laws of the game’.

The referee obviously deemed that was the case and the fact that Morrell didn’t argue tells us everything we need to know.

Next.

RE: Morrell - bluebollox - 27-01-2023

(27-01-2023, 12:21 PM)Cunninglinguist Wrote: A yellow card is given to a player who ‘persistently infringes the laws of the game’.

The referee obviously deemed that was the case and the fact that Morrell didn’t argue tells us everything we need to know.

Next.

Agree with this, some defending him are FAF. If that was an opposition player @ FP we'd be baying for a red card. Its a shame because since the WC Joe has arguably been our most consistent player. Hopefully the silly daft sod wont do it again.

RE: Morrell - Hermann's_no_hermit - 27-01-2023

The worst thing is that we lose our best form player for a really tough game at Peterborough and now Curtis who has also regained his form an his Mojo is out for at least 3 weeks. Really need Thompson able to play a full match but feel like we are going to struggle tomorrow