TrueBlueArmy Forums
Gary O'Neil - Printable Version

+- TrueBlueArmy Forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com)
+-- Forum: TBA forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Play Up Pompey (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: Gary O'Neil (/showthread.php?tid=275)

Gary O'Neil - DeepBlue - 28-02-2021

Bit surprised to see him leave Liverpool after only 6 months, especially to join what could prove a temporary management team at Bournemouth given that Woodgate's only got till the end of the season so far.

RE: Gary O'Neil - Hammie - 28-02-2021

nicer place to live though

RE: Gary O'Neil - slayer - 28-02-2021

Harry eyeing him up as the manager after Woodgate under his tutelage?

RE: Gary O'Neil - ForeverPompey - 01-03-2021

(28-02-2021, 09:02 PM)scumslayer Wrote: Harry eyeing him up as the manager after Woodgate under his tutelage?

Wasn’t GO’N keen on Pompey youth role but KJ or Caitlin weren’t interested? Does anyone know who runs our youth set up assuming we still have one? On a different point I’d love to hear our striking coach’s views on how he thinks he is doing.

RE: Gary O'Neil - Isaac Hunt - 01-03-2021

He's on strike

RE: Gary O'Neil - Tomsk - 01-03-2021

(01-03-2021, 01:00 PM)Isaac Hunt Wrote: He's on strike

What you on about Willis?!!

RE: Gary O'Neil - Wightblue - 01-03-2021

I liked O’Neil for his lung bursting runs and his commitment to the Pompey cause, as I recall he was always top of the OPTA stats for work rate (wasn’t it typically 16 Kms a game for O’Neil). I realise that work rate isn’t everything but it certainly helps, he was a decent passer of the ball as well and had an attacking mentality.

If he can pass on his work ethic as well as developing his charges skill sets he might well have a decent coaching or management career.

I can well understand Jackett and Catlin not wanting him at FP, O’Neil sees the game entirely differently to them. He somewhat reminds me of Brian Lewis in that he was never appreciated for what he brought to Pompey until he left us, both had an affection for Pompey that went beyond salary (wasn’t Lewis’s coffin draped in a Pompey shirt.....or is that just a rumour?).

RE: Gary O'Neil - exterminator - 01-03-2021

(01-03-2021, 01:32 PM)Tomsk Wrote:

On strike..... judging by the performance of our strikers Gifton-Williams has never started work ffs.

RE: Gary O'Neil - slayer - 01-03-2021

(01-03-2021, 05:16 PM)exterminator Wrote:
(01-03-2021, 01:32 PM)Tomsk Wrote:

On strike..... judging by the performance of our strikers Gifton-Williams has never started work ffs.

I remember how much of a coont he was when he first came back to FP with Boro, especially over that freekick.

Just saying.

RE: Gary O'Neil - ForeverPompey - 01-03-2021

(01-03-2021, 03:09 PM)Wightblue Wrote: I liked O’Neil for his lung bursting runs and his commitment to the Pompey cause, as I recall he was always top of the OPTA stats for work rate (wasn’t it typically 16 Kms a game for O’Neil). I realise that work rate isn’t everything but it certainly helps, he was a decent passer of the ball as well and had an attacking mentality.

If he can pass on his work ethic as well as developing his charges skill sets he might well have a decent coaching or management career.

I can well understand Jackett and Catlin not wanting him at FP, O’Neil sees the game entirely differently to them. He somewhat reminds me of Brian Lewis in that he was never appreciated for what he brought to Pompey until he left us, both had an affection for Pompey that went beyond salary (wasn’t Lewis’s coffin draped in a Pompey shirt.....or is that just a rumour?).

Brian Lewis... wow that’s a blast from my past. Did he play in the famous Colchester Leeds game?

RE: Gary O'Neil - slayer - 01-03-2021

I put Hayden Mullins in that category too.

RE: Gary O'Neil - DeepBlue - 01-03-2021

I'd put Nigel Quashie in that category too, although he was probably appreciated less after he left us because of where he went. 

But I think he was the most under-rated member of the best Pompey promotion side ever seen. He did Merson's running for him to leave him free to create.

RE: Gary O'Neil - Wightblue - 01-03-2021

Brian Lewis did indeed play in Colchester’s glory day !

Lewis was sold to Jimmy Hill’s Coventry, part of the fee was used to secure Ray Pointer’ s transfer to Pompey. 

My main memory of Pointer was in the Arsenal cup game at FP when he gave the then highly rated Pat Rice an absolute run-around, it was a shame that he was fast approaching the veteran stage when he joined us so we never saw him at his very best