TrueBlueArmy Forums
Referees - Printable Version

+- TrueBlueArmy Forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com)
+-- Forum: TBA forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Play Up Pompey (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: Referees (/showthread.php?tid=2789)

Referees - Hammie - 14-02-2023

There is one way to make sure that there are absolutely no mistakes for pundits, players and fans to wet the bed over....

All the referees go on strike from now to the summer. From the prem all the way down to park pitches.

RE: Referees - Northstander - 14-02-2023

We've an experienced Championship level Ref at Fp tonight, Tim Robinson. Let's hope we are discussing our team's performance rather than the Officials later today.

RE: Referees - firqdays - 15-02-2023

And didn't it show - Tim Robinson's standard that is .
Never once seemed to go anywhere near losing control, and ultra confident decision making - and the decisions respected on and off the pitch.
Can we have him every game ?

RE: Referees - Northstander - 15-02-2023

I thought he had a good game, his experience showed. Far better for example than the Barnsley clown. He wouldn't have been wrong to yellow card MacG for some of his time wasting antics. Burton came for a point and I was delighted they didn't get one

RE: Referees - slayer - 15-02-2023

Ref was good last night. Hardly noticed him, as it should be

RE: Referees - stayinupforever - 15-02-2023

If Prem refs were tougher on Prem players and actually enforced the laws of the game from the first minute then it would soon filter down the leagues. Penalise the diving,shirt pulling,swearing, surrounding of refs etc.

RE: Referees - HotToddy - 15-02-2023

Until the middle of the second half I thought most of his decisions favoured us. I think he is from West Sussex. Just saying.

RE: Referees - Lawrence - 15-02-2023

(15-02-2023, 11:34 AM)HotToddy Wrote: Until the middle of the second half I thought most of his decisions favoured us. I think he is from West Sussex. Just saying.

I thought he was very good considering some of pitiful examples that we've seen for so long now. Didn't let Burton kick the crap out of us. Wish we'd have someone like him when we play a lee bowyer/barton team where that's there main game plan.

Totally wrong what's happening to referees (particularly in local football) nowadays, but in the professional game the standard should be higher with proper qualifications. Pay them well, train them well and maybe they will perform better. It's time they were treated as key members of the game. Right now, they are not helping themselves by mostly being incapable of doing the job that they'd like to do, and it doesn't help their chances of being respected by others.

RE: Referees - Northstander - 15-02-2023

(15-02-2023, 11:34 AM)HotToddy Wrote: Until the middle of the second half I thought most of his decisions favoured us. I think he is from West Sussex. Just saying.

He is from West Sussex indeed, In 2019 he did a PL game (Burnley v Newcastle) but didnt get confirmed on the PL list.  I thought last night he got most of the decisions right and the yellow cards he dished out to a physical Burton team were deserved. Another good Championship Ref imho is James Linington from the IOW., he has been an Efl Ref for many seasons.  
Maybe his chance for the PL will come one day, it's hard to judge. The number of times he crosses the Solent in a season is amazing. I did a check on James and I found he has been to Fp twice for P Pot Trophy games and in 2010 he did a Scum v Huddersfield game in the Championshipm they won 4.1 lol

RE: Referees - Milton Mick - 15-02-2023

The only 'cock up' last night was trying to get our third sub on as the subbed player (Thompson?) had gone off on the other side of the pitch and was half way home and play had restarted before they realised it.

RE: Referees - Pompeyg100 - 15-02-2023

(15-02-2023, 03:59 PM)Milton Mick Wrote: The only 'cock up' last night was trying to get our third sub on as the subbed player (Thompson?) had gone off on the other side of the pitch and was half way home and play had restarted before they realised it.

He wasn’t ready to come on, it was our problem.

RE: Referees - DeepBlue - 15-02-2023

(15-02-2023, 04:18 PM)Pompeyg100 Wrote:
(15-02-2023, 03:59 PM)Milton Mick Wrote: The only 'cock up' last night was trying to get our third sub on as the subbed player (Thompson?) had gone off on the other side of the pitch and was half way home and play had restarted before they realised it.

Looked to me like he was standing on the touchline ready, but was being held back by the 4th official because he had not seen Thompson go off on the other side of the pitch. It was only when the noise from the crowd alerted him that he allowed him on.

RE: Referees - Hammie - 15-02-2023

(15-02-2023, 04:34 PM)DeepBlue Wrote:

Looked to me like he was standing on the touchline ready, but was being held back by the 4th official because he had not seen Thompson go off on the other side of the pitch. It was only when the noise from the crowd alerted him that he allowed him on.

on the iplayer you could see that he had a ring on his hand which had to be removed. Really bad from an experienced player.

RE: Referees - BabaOReally - 15-02-2023

4th official was making him take a ring off from what I could see. Can understand the ref losing patience with it. Best ref down Fratton Park this season.

RE: Referees - Hammie - 15-02-2023

(15-02-2023, 11:17 AM)stayinupforever Wrote: If Prem refs were tougher on Prem players and actually enforced the laws of the game from the first minute then it would soon filter down the leagues. Penalise the diving,shirt pulling,swearing, surrounding of refs etc.

Do the referees get as much coaching against cheating as the players do to learn what they call the "dark Arts" ?
If every single time a player dived, he got a red and every single incident of throwing the ball away and all the rest was a yellow, and that happened every single time all season, then it would reduce.

At youth level, any team with parents abusing the referee should see games abandoned with no points to either team. It would soon stop as the parents concenred would be told to go away by the other players, their son and the maangers.

RE: Referees - DeepBlue - 15-02-2023

(15-02-2023, 05:29 PM)BabaOReally Wrote:

4th official was making him take a ring off from what I could see. Can understand the ref losing patience with it. Best ref down Fratton Park this season.

Thanks for the explanation ... couldn't see that from the North Stand. Yes, poor from the player if it was not one he always wears.. And yes, the ref was heads and shoulders the best we've had this season.  I particularly liked him barking the order 'no blocking' at corners.

RE: Referees - Northstander - 10-04-2023

I can't remember an official making contact with a player before, but it happened at Anfield yesterday, Robertson made the initial contact but the lino, Constantine Hatzidakis, shouldn't have reacted with an apparent elbowing

RE: Referees - Hammie - 10-04-2023

(10-04-2023, 09:40 AM)Northstander Wrote: I can't remember an official making contact with a player before, but it happened at Anfield yesterday, Robertson made the initial contact but the lino, Constantine Hatzidakis, shouldn't have reacted with an apparent elbowing

should have punched the player on the nose and then seen both suspended for 8 games apiece.