TrueBlueArmy Forums
Ian St John RIP - Printable Version

+- TrueBlueArmy Forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com)
+-- Forum: TBA forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Play Up Pompey (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: Ian St John RIP (/showthread.php?tid=279)

Ian St John RIP - DeepBlue - 02-03-2021

I know he was never particularly popular in his time here, but I suspect working for Deacon with his failed promises made it a very hard job for him.  At least he brought a few local kids through that really cared about playing for the club. 

I always quite liked him & Greavesy on the telly so perhaps remmeber him more fondly for that than his time as our manager. 

Condolonces to his family, I remember his daughter being a regular in my Emsworth local.

RE: Ian St John RIP - ForeverPompey - 02-03-2021

(02-03-2021, 12:04 PM)DeepBlue Wrote: I know he was never particularly popular in his time here, but I suspect working for Deacon with his failed promises made it a very hard job for him.  At least he brought a few local kids through that really cared about playing for the club. 

I always quite liked him & Greavesy on the telly so perhaps remmeber him more fondly for that than his time as our manager. 

Condolonces to his family, I remember his daughter being a regular in my Emsworth local.

Agreed. Probably a lost cause managing Pompey at that time and yes he gave a few youngsters a go. They weren't very good were they even by the standards we have to watch today!! Saint & Greavesy was a good watch. RIP

RE: Ian St John RIP - dsmg - 02-03-2021

RIP. A good man I feel, great player too

RE: Ian St John RIP - The Realist - 02-03-2021

(02-03-2021, 12:24 PM)ForeverPompey Wrote:
(02-03-2021, 12:04 PM)DeepBlue Wrote: I know he was never particularly popular in his time here, but I suspect working for Deacon with his failed promises made it a very hard job for him.  At least he brought a few local kids through that really cared about playing for the club. 

Agreed. Probably a lost cause managing Pompey at that time and yes he gave a few youngsters a go. They weren't very good were they even by the standards we have to watch today!! Saint & Greavesy was a good watch. RIP

Turned Steve Foster into a centre half and he turned out OK, but you're right the rest did n't set the world alight.

RE: Ian St John RIP - ForeverPompey - 02-03-2021

(02-03-2021, 01:40 PM)The Realist Wrote:
(02-03-2021, 12:24 PM)ForeverPompey Wrote:

Turned Steve Foster into a centre half and he turned out OK, but you're right the rest did n't set the world alight.

So he did! I was forgetting Fozzie. Yes, he wasn't bad at all.

RE: Ian St John RIP - bluetagagain - 02-03-2021

Good footballer and great on Saint and Greavsie. I didn’t live in Pompey at the time of his management ( I didn’t arrive in Pompey until 1974 and only started going to watch Pompey in the Frankie Burrows reign) so don’t know anything about his management at Pompey other than what I’ve read.
RIP Saint & thanks for the laughs

RE: Ian St John RIP - Port_stowe - 02-03-2021

I seem to remember selling Steve Foster gave Burrows some money to build the Div 4 promotion side of 79-80, which kick started our rise in the 1980s. RIP Saint

RE: Ian St John RIP - exterminator - 02-03-2021

He didn't have much money to spend at all, but made some bad signings Chris Lawler, Bobby McGuiness but IIRC swopped George Graham for David Kemp in Nov 1976 (we'll drink,a drink a drink) and brought through some useful youngsters.

Jimmy Dickinson then swopped Dave Kemp for John Lathan in March 1978 ffs, but signed Colin Garwood to score the goals.

RE: Ian St John RIP - Wightblue - 02-03-2021

I always loved the story (possibly true) about the church in Liverpool which had a poster outside which read ‘ What will we do when Jesus comes’ to which someone had added ‘ We’ll move St John to inside left’.

Same church, same hoarding but with ‘If your tired of sin, come on in’ to which someone had added ‘If your not Phone Sadie on 0151 222 3333’

RE: Ian St John RIP - mikey393 - 02-03-2021

I think anyone working under Deacon would have had a hard time back then. I think Dave Pullar & Keith Viney were probably in the team around that time as well.

I was living in Emsworth back then & believe he occasionally went in the Bluebell on South Street.

I also met him at a Golf Day I helped organise for CEOs at Wentworth & he was the guest player & after dinner speaker.

He could have got his agent to cancel but although he had a bad leg injury he still turned up & played the full 18 holes. He gave a great after dinner speech & took loads of Qus. A real nice guy & a legend of a player with a GSOH.

Condolences to his family R.I.P. Saint.

RE: Ian St John RIP - kindofblue - 02-03-2021

I taught with Bill Eames who was one of the youngsters St.John brought through and then offloaded. Needless to say he wasn’t too impressed with St.John’s man management, but RIP to another Old School great.

RE: Ian St John RIP - Gerry Hatrick - 02-03-2021

Peter Denyer was another one of the St John 'Babes' and I believe a certain Chris Kamara

RE: Ian St John RIP - DeepBlue - 02-03-2021

(02-03-2021, 07:53 PM)Gerry Hatrick Wrote: Peter Denyer was another one of the St John 'Babes' and I believe a certain Chris Kamara

Most of the youngsters he brought through did quite well, but they were badly let down by the rubbish experienced pros he brought in on frees .... Graeme Lloyd, one of our worst ever keepers, Bobby McGuiness, Chris Lawler, Paul Gilchrist etc.

RE: Ian St John RIP - Hammie - 02-03-2021

it seems our team are commemorating him by performing at the same level as some of those mentioned above. Sad. I'm just too young to remember his team but loved saint and Greavsie!