TrueBlueArmy Forums
The best Pompey game you ever saw. - Printable Version

+- TrueBlueArmy Forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com)
+-- Forum: TBA forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Play Up Pompey (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: The best Pompey game you ever saw. (/showthread.php?tid=2822)

Pages: 1 2 3

The best Pompey game you ever saw. - Cunninglinguist - 23-02-2023

For me, for sheer heart racing excitement, it has to be the first game against Arsenal in the cup, at Highbury, when Anderton got that goal. My heart was pumping.

RE: The best Pompey game you ever saw. - dsmg - 23-02-2023

Difficult one. For atmosphere, Liverpool away that midweek game when we took about 12000 being in Div 4. But as a match probably a game against Sunderland at Fratton when I was a nipper and we won 4-2, I think!

RE: The best Pompey game you ever saw. - PompeyDB - 23-02-2023

For the emotion and drama the last ten minutes of our League 2 adventure take some beating. I think that's the most emotional I've ever seen the crowd at Fratton Park.

RE: The best Pompey game you ever saw. - essentialmix75 - 23-02-2023

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJgMfA3m4Sc

Say no more!.

RE: The best Pompey game you ever saw. - Northstander - 23-02-2023

Beatimg the Scummers 4.1 here when Redknapp returned that lunchtime was t'ffic. The abuse Jamie Redknapp received when he took a corner (FE/North Stand) in the 2nd half was unforgettable

(23-02-2023, 05:43 PM)Northstander Wrote: Beatimg the Scummers 4.1 here when Redknapp returned that lunchtime was t'ffic. The abuse Jamie Redknapp received when he took a corner (FE/North Stand) in the 2nd half was unforgettable

Glad it was the same game!.

RE: The best Pompey game you ever saw. - Cunninglinguist - 23-02-2023

Someone agreed with you.

RE: The best Pompey game you ever saw. - Pompeytel - 23-02-2023

To many to choose just one,  4-1 against the scum will always be up there but the away to Wigan when we avoided relegation, spurs semi final at Wembley.  Notts County when we eventually got out of the league 2.  It’s these games and games like them that get you through the lean years. (And there were plenty )

(23-02-2023, 06:04 PM)Cunninglinguist Wrote: Someone agreed with you.

I have run out of party popper's.... Sh*t I will have to have a desperado, the pain!.

It's better when you are not liked.... Cheap round!.Wink

RE: The best Pompey game you ever saw. - Hammie - 23-02-2023

All of the above (Liverpool at Highbury not arsenal incidentally)

But for sheer elation, Alan Ball's team winning at the Dell 2:0. Hallelujah and all that.

RE: The best Pompey game you ever saw. - Rocketman - 23-02-2023

Has to be the AC Milan game

(23-02-2023, 06:42 PM)Hammie Wrote: All of the above (Liverpool at Highbury not arsenal incidentally)

But for sheer elation, Alan Ball's team winning at the Dell 2:0. Hallelujah and all that.

You spotted my mistake, Hammie.

RE: The best Pompey game you ever saw. - Tufnell_Chimes - 23-02-2023

(23-02-2023, 06:45 PM)Rocketman Wrote: Has to be the AC Milan game

That was my first thought. Wasn't there but that night was fantastic, and then heartbreaking.

I’ve missed loads

RE: The best Pompey game you ever saw. - TBP - 23-02-2023

(23-02-2023, 06:45 PM)Rocketman Wrote: Has to be the AC Milan game

Well up and 'til they went 2-0 up, anyway.

RE: The best Pompey game you ever saw. - DeepBlue - 23-02-2023

For me the order would be : - 

Anfield 81  - best day out ever , never before or since been as proud to be a Pompey fan 
Northampton 80 - 1st promotion as a Pompey supporter 
That Stockport game ... best example ever of Pompey fans lifting the team in adversity 
AC Milan ... best atmosphere in a home game .

Scummers 4-1 comes close but I never really cared that much about them - i've always thought hating them gives them more attention than they deserve. 

And a shout out for the Reading 7-4 game, not mentioned so far probably because it was not that important an occasion, but as a stand alone 90 mins probably the most remarkable game over the years.

RE: The best Pompey game you ever saw. - Cliff Portwood gave me a lift - 23-02-2023

Trebilcock equalising against Arsenal making it 1 - 1. Bob Wilson smiling as he lifted it out the net. FA Cup...err....1971?

RE: The best Pompey game you ever saw. - Pompey_in_Derby - 23-02-2023

So many to choose from!

Best ever atmosphere has to be Liverpool away in 1980 - also best tickertape!

Most emotional was Northampton away in 1980 - no instant result updates that day and we needed Peterborough to beat Bradford. Must have been 10 minutes after the final whistle before we knew for sure that we'd won our first promotion in a generation!

Biggest relief was beating York 3-1 at FP in 1977 to avoid relegation to the 4th division - "Jim'll fix it" banner and "The Green Light" headline in the Sports Mail (Jimmy Dickinson as manager, Clive Green as star player)

Best 27 minutes - Pompey 4 scummers 1. Such a shame LuaLua went off injured as we could have scored 9 that day!

Best 11 minutes - 3 up away to Newcastle prompting hundreds of Geordies to leave early! They were unbeaten at home and we ended up winning 4-1.

Best pitch invasion was after Pompey 1 Forest 0 in 1992 - almost 20,000 on pitch and everyone singing que sera sera!

Most drunken day out was Plymouth away in 1983 - some of the pubs in central Plymouth were self-service for bottles of spirits and mayhem in the ground as we took over 3 sides!

Most surreal - everything about the abandoned pre-season friendly in Le Havre.

Best day out at Wembley has to be Spuds 0 Pompey 2 - against all odds stuffing Judas, Crouch, Defoe, Kranjcar, Bale, Modric etc! Always dreamt of Pompey winning there as underdogs and against West Brom and Cardiff we were favourites.

Best come backs. A tie between Huddersfield 1 Pompey 3 when we were 1-0 down with 10 men at half time before Sammy Igoe came on as sub and Oldham 5 Pompey 3 when we scored 3 times in 6 minutes of injury time and with a bit longer would have won it!

RE: The best Pompey game you ever saw. - Hammie - 23-02-2023

or as a game that I could not be at
listening on Radio Victory and hearing woooo oooooo aaaagggh
3 times in about 3 minutes as pompey stuck three past Millwall not sure if they ever managed to finish that particular track!

RE: The best Pompey game you ever saw. - PompeySussex - 23-02-2023

2003 When we beat Bolton 4-0 in our 3rd premier league game to go top of the league, couldn't believe what we were seeing.

RE: The best Pompey game you ever saw. - Cunninglinguist - 24-02-2023

(23-02-2023, 09:27 PM)DeepBlue Wrote: For me the order would be : - 

Anfield 81  - best day out ever , never before or since been as proud to be a Pompey fan 
That Stockport game ... best example ever of Pompey fans lifting the team in adversity 

Scummers 4-1 comes close but I never really cared that much about them - i've always thought hating them gives them more attention than they deserve. 

And a shout out for the Reading 7-4 game, not mentioned so far probably because it was not that important an occasion, but as a stand alone 90 mins probably the most remarkable game over the years.

That Stockport game. I only chose one but that would be on my list.

RE: The best Pompey game you ever saw. - mike hunt - 24-02-2023

Middlesborough in the cup and the disallowed Hemmerman goal & the oxford game and Biley's 2 goals in the last five minutes,
the emotion unbelievable!

RE: The best Pompey game you ever saw. - Bluebob - 24-02-2023

(23-02-2023, 09:27 PM)DeepBlue Wrote: For me the order would be : - 

Agree with all of those games but for sheer excitement one game tops all of them for me Oxford at home
2-1 Alan Billey scoring twice in injury time.

RE: The best Pompey game you ever saw. - exgaffer - 24-02-2023

I’ve seen all the great Pompey games over the last 60 odd years, but for sheer joy and atmosphere it just has to be the 4-1 thrashing of the scum.

A game of legend if ever there was one.

RE: The best Pompey game you ever saw. - firqdays - 24-02-2023

Again very many of the above - Semi at Highbury gutting - and, as mentioned before 6th round win at the Theatre of Dreams special ; but another one . the start of the great (Premier League) escape , coming from behind to beat Manchester City at Fratton - Pedro MENDES winner !