TrueBlueArmy Forums
The best Pompey game you ever saw. - Printable Version

+- TrueBlueArmy Forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com)
+-- Forum: TBA forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Play Up Pompey (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: The best Pompey game you ever saw. (/showthread.php?tid=2822)

Pages: 1 2 3

RE: The best Pompey game you ever saw. - Jizbag - 24-02-2023

(23-02-2023, 05:02 PM)Cunninglinguist Wrote: For me, for sheer heart racing excitement, it has to be the first game against Arsenal in the cup, at Highbury, when Anderton got that goal. My heart was pumping.

Arsenal???

RE: The best Pompey game you ever saw. - Jizbag - 24-02-2023

Highbury 1992 for me, Anderton's goal was the best moment ever.

RE: The best Pompey game you ever saw. - Northstander - 24-02-2023

(24-02-2023, 09:24 AM)Jizbag Wrote: Highbury 1992 for me, Anderton's goal was the best moment ever.

I honestly thought we were going to Wemblley when he scored. It was not to be that year

RE: The best Pompey game you ever saw. - Hermann's_no_hermit - 24-02-2023

For me as for many others it seems, it's a toss up between the Northampton game and that ticker tape night at Liverpool. Northampton probably wins though because the final outcome was a win and promotion after so long in the mire. As earlier mentioned, the wait to find out for sure we had gone up seemed like hours though it was probably really only 3 or 4 minutes.

RE: The best Pompey game you ever saw. - exgaffer - 24-02-2023

(24-02-2023, 12:49 PM)Hermann's_no_hermit Wrote: For me as for many others it seems, it's a toss up between the Northampton game and that ticker tape night at Liverpool. Northampton probably wins though because the final outcome was a win and promotion after so long in the mire. As earlier mentioned, the wait to find out for sure we had gone up seemed like hours though it was probably really only 3 or 4 minutes.

Northampton was great, Liverpool was excellent but surely thrashing the scum at FP must take top spot.

RE: The best Pompey game you ever saw. - Kingo - 24-02-2023

Liverpool 81. We were magnificent. The Oxford 2Biley game was special too, and still time for Aldridge to hit the bar after we went 2 1 up.

RE: The best Pompey game you ever saw. - Cleaver Greene - 24-02-2023

Huddersfield away? 1985, last game of the season. 13000 crowd, I reckon 12000 were us Pompey. Ticker tape, great goals - especially from Kevin O'Callaghan.
All the time listening to that Man City game.....
Deserved to go up that season, what a great squad that was.
That was a game of excitement and anxiety.

RE: The best Pompey game you ever saw. - Hammie - 24-02-2023

(24-02-2023, 02:55 PM)Cleaver Greene Wrote: Huddersfield away? 1985, last game of the season. 13000 crowd, I reckon 12000 were us Pompey. Ticker tape, great goals - especially from Kevin O'Callaghan.

good game and all the rest.
Not improved by having bricks thrown at us by the home oiks (while the police hid behind the pompey fans!)
or the association in my memory of reports on the Radio from Braford.

RE: The best Pompey game you ever saw. - BilltheCat - 24-02-2023

(24-02-2023, 02:55 PM)Cleaver Greene Wrote: Huddersfield away? 1985, last game of the season. 13000 crowd, I reckon 12000 were us Pompey. Ticker tape, great goals - especially from Kevin O'Callaghan.

I'd forgotten that we played in red that afternoon:

Huddersfield 0 Portsmouth 2 , Saturday 11th May 1985 - YouTube

RE: The best Pompey game you ever saw. - SouthseaBubble - 24-02-2023

(24-02-2023, 06:10 PM)BilltheCat Wrote:

That was a great occasion, apart from not going up and hearing about the fire.  But one that I still remember for atmosphere and sheer tension, though probably not for the best football technically, was a pulsating cup replay against Hull at Fratton, with over 33,000 there.  If I recall correctly, which I may not, we got a late equaliser in normal time and another one late in extra time - seem to remember Roy Pack scoring.  We won the second replay which set us up for an away tie at Spurs, which was my first away match.

(24-02-2023, 07:16 PM)SouthseaBubble Wrote:

That was a great occasion, apart from not going up and hearing about the fire.  But one that I still remember for atmosphere and sheer tension, though probably not for the best football technically, was a pulsating cup replay against Hull at Fratton, with over 33,000 there.  If I recall correctly, which I may not, we got a late equaliser in normal time and another one late in extra time - seem to remember Roy Pack scoring.  We won the second replay which set us up for an away tie at Spurs, which was my first away match.

Yes Pack and Dennis Edwards scored, official attendance 33107 well remembered

RE: The best Pompey game you ever saw. - SouthseaBubble - 24-02-2023

(24-02-2023, 07:25 PM)Northstander Wrote:
(24-02-2023, 07:16 PM)SouthseaBubble Wrote:

Yes Pack and Dennis Edwards scored, official attendance 33107 well remembered
I've no idea why I remembered Pack scoring, maybe because I was at the end he scored at,  and I'd forgotten Edwards.  Not sure if he played in that match but for one or two seasons we had a fine full-back pairing in Pack and George Ley, who was a sort of division 2 Terry Cooper.

RE: The best Pompey game you ever saw. - farq2 - 24-02-2023

7-4 against reading was a great game to watch,6-2 against derby,5-0 away at Bradford,along with many that have been mentioned.
Also the way trip to guimaraes,never seen so many Pompey fans so pissed

Southsea Bubble......... George Ley signed for Pompey around 3 months after the Hull games. He played in the Cup run the following season when Pompey lost to the eventual winners West Brom in the 5th round. I often wonder what would have happened if Ray Pointer hadn't been injured the Saturday before here v Brum. That's football

RE: The best Pompey game you ever saw. - Hammie - 25-02-2023

A lot of cup games mentioned, shame they have been devalued by the continental managers take over.

RE: The best Pompey game you ever saw. - teeftwo - 25-02-2023

Might be the F.A. Cup game against Arsenal when that Terry Henry bloke played the most sublime football I've seen live and got applauded off by both sets of fans at the end. I know we lost badly but it was a great spectacle

RE: The best Pompey game you ever saw. - Cunninglinguist - 25-02-2023

Got arrested that morning and only just made the game in time. No mobile phones then, just transistor radios. False stories going around that City were losing then we learned the truth.
Got back to London, to learn the awful news about Bradford. We were only a few miles away.

RE: The best Pompey game you ever saw. - exgaffer - 25-02-2023

(25-02-2023, 08:02 AM)Cunninglinguist Wrote:

Got arrested that morning and only just made the game in time. No mobile phones then, just transistor radios. False stories going around that City were losing then we learned the truth.
Got back to London, to learn the awful news about Bradford. We were only a few miles away.

Yes I remember the Huddersfield game very well, one of those great Pompey away days.

We heard that there was a fire at Bradford but didn’t realise how bad it was until much later. It doesn’t bear thinking about how bad it must have been for those poor people unable to escape from that stand.

RE: The best Pompey game you ever saw. - Cleaver Greene - 25-02-2023

(24-02-2023, 06:10 PM)Hammie Wrote:

good game and all the rest.
Not improved by having bricks thrown at us by the home oiks (while the police hid behind the pompey fans!)
or the association in my memory of reports on the Radio from Braford.

I had forgotten about the bricks. Police were useless that day. Just sat on their horses and did nothing.

RE: The best Pompey game you ever saw. - Smirnoffexpress - 25-02-2023

Most of the above are etched in my heart but it’s not just the games, it’s a moment particularly when goals really matter. Noel Blake’s winner against Spurs, Pedro Mendes against Man City both orgasmic!

RE: The best Pompey game you ever saw. - Rick Pumpkin - 25-02-2023

Beating Fulham 6-3 and Reading 7-4 both stand out, but one of my favourite games was in the Jim Smith era when we beat Derby 3-2 at FP.  Derby were right up there and had a strike force scoring for fun (Kitson, Johnson and Gabbiadini), whereas we had Robbie Pethick making his FP debut but outfought Derby to run out winners.  Around the same time we beat Norwich 1-0 at home with a great tactical display that day and a Johnny Lager long-ranger settled it.

But that's the thing with having watched Pompey for so long, there's always great moments in games that live in the memory and after watching a few thousand games over the years it's difficult to choose just one.  Still maintain the FA Cup win in 2008 was a bloody painful game to watch though  Big Grin

RE: The best Pompey game you ever saw. - farq2 - 25-02-2023

(25-02-2023, 02:42 PM)Rick Pumpkin Wrote: Beating Fulham 6-3 and Reading 7-4 both stand out, but one of my favourite games was in the Jim Smith era when we beat Derby 3-2 at FP.  Derby were right up there and had a strike force scoring for fun (Kitson, Johnson and Gabbiadini), whereas we had Robbie Pethick making his FP debut but outfought Derby to run out winners.  Around the same time we beat Norwich 1-0 at home with a great tactical display that day and a Johnny Lager long-ranger settled it.

But that's the thing with having watched Pompey for so long, there's always great moments in games that live in the memory and after watching a few thousand games over the years it's difficult to choose just one.  Still maintain the FA Cup win in 2008 was a bloody awful game to watch though  Big Grin

The cup final was all about winning, not entertaining Big Grin

RE: The best Pompey game you ever saw. - RavoPFC - 26-02-2023

Ooof there's a few that spring to mind, however in no particular order;

Pompey 4-1 Scum
FA Cup win vs Cardiff
FA Cup semi vs Tottenham
Cambridge 2-6 Pompey
Pompey 6-1 Cheltenham
Norwich 0-1 Pompey (nothing like a 94 minute winner)
Checkatrade final win vs Sunderland (tinpot trophy or not it was still a great day out at Wembley, a brilliant game and another piece of metal to put in the cabinet)

RE: The best Pompey game you ever saw. - Sharpe* - 27-02-2023

I've only been going down for the past 10 years or so basically since we very almost went bust.

In that time I've watched a lot of dross but some good stuff too.

Sunderland final at Wembley was great!

Probably my favourite is a bit of an obscure one: 3-2 against Tranmere in 2015 in League 2.

I was working in Kent as it was a midweek game and after a long day drove straight to the game.

Under the lights we were absolutely diabolical and were 2-0 down by 50 minutes.

Then, right at the end, we score 3 goals in 9 minutes! Westcarr '76 and a brace from Taylor on '82 and '85.

The roar when the third went in is the loudest I've heard at Fratton.

Those who left early must surely regret that.

Great game.

RE: The best Pompey game you ever saw. - Bluestow - 27-02-2023

(25-02-2023, 09:09 AM)exgaffer Wrote:
(25-02-2023, 08:02 AM)Cunninglinguist Wrote:

Yes I remember the Huddersfield game very well, one of those great Pompey away days.

We heard that there was a fire at Bradford but didn’t realise how bad it was until much later. It doesn’t bear thinking about how bad it must have been for those poor people unable to escape from that stand.

Yes, a great away day.