TrueBlueArmy Forums
Ambition? - Printable Version

+- TrueBlueArmy Forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com)
+-- Forum: TBA forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Play Up Pompey (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: Ambition? (/showthread.php?tid=2873)

Ambition? - simonfkwit - 09-03-2023

Strange quotes from Mousinho in The News today?

‘Portsmouth fans want to get out of this league as much as we do as well.'

‘We have to make sure that has to be our ambition at some point.'

‘So, certainly in the medium to long term, it’s the club’s ambition.'

Anti Eisners will love this seeming admission that we don't want to go up.  Hoping I've misread this (I do have a job that makes me tired as well) or that he's been taken out of context.

RE: Ambition? - Pompeyg100 - 09-03-2023

(09-03-2023, 09:54 PM)simonfkwit Wrote: Strange quotes from Mousinho in The News today?

Anti Eisners will love this seeming admission that we don't want to go up.  Hoping I've misread this (I do have a job that makes me tired as well) or that he's been taken out of context.

Where does he say they don’t want to go up?

RE: Ambition? - simonfkwit - 09-03-2023

'We have to make sure that has to be our ambition at some point.' rather implies it's not our ambition at the moment.

RE: Ambition? - Pompeyg100 - 09-03-2023

(09-03-2023, 10:02 PM)simonfkwit Wrote: 'We have to make sure that has to be our ambition at some point.' rather implies it's not our ambition at the moment.

My long term goal is to retire, doesn’t mean I don’t want to retire now.

RE: Ambition? - simonfkwit - 09-03-2023

Can you not at least agree they're strange quotes, and that anti Eisners will love (what could be seen as) an apparent admission?

RE: Ambition? - Tufnell_Chimes - 09-03-2023

The wage jump between League 2 and League 1 isn’t that much. The wage jump between League 1 and the Championship is massive, but the revenue doesn’t change much at all. The Championship really needs a tv deal that champions that league - it’s way better than the prem, but maybe it’s because of the prize, and the risk, and the sheer stamina needed to win it, that makes it so good.

RE: Ambition? - TBP - 10-03-2023

(09-03-2023, 09:54 PM)simonfkwit Wrote: Strange quotes from Mousinho in The News today?

Even worse, he wants to sign Dale.

RE: Ambition? - stayinupforever - 10-03-2023

(09-03-2023, 10:02 PM)simonfkwit Wrote: 'We have to make sure that has to be our ambition at some point.' rather implies it's not our ambition at the moment.
Grammatically you are right.

RE: Ambition? - Pompeyg100 - 10-03-2023

(09-03-2023, 10:41 PM)simonfkwit Wrote: Can you not at least agree they're strange quotes, and that anti Eisners will love (what could be seen as) an apparent admission?

It certainly seems a strange thing to say and I am sure he’s said previously this season that the ambition is to go up. The club have been saying it all along too.

RE: Ambition? - simonfkwit - 10-03-2023

If that was how he said it, then I'm surprised and disappointed Jordan Cross didn't challenge him on it - which is why I wonder if something's missing in the editing or something.

Not sure if anything's been said about it on social media as I'm not on any of it anymore.

RE: Ambition? - Pompeyg100 - 10-03-2023

(10-03-2023, 09:12 AM)simonfkwit Wrote: If that was how he said it, then I'm surprised and disappointed Jordan Cross didn't challenge him on it - which is why I wonder if something's missing in the editing or something.

Not sure if anything's been said about it on social media as I'm not on any of it anymore.

That’s exactly what I was thinking.

RE: Ambition? - Tomsk - 10-03-2023

Probably just tripped over his words or adding extra words for flannel then regretting it. I don't think there's much to see here

RE: Ambition? - West Australian Portsmouth Fan - 11-03-2023

It’s an admission that this season barring some epic winning streak will end in us playing League One football next season. That epic winning streak needs to start today

RE: Ambition? - slayer - 11-03-2023

He's new in the job. So he misspoke. I can understand those who dislike Pompey to try and tear him down for it.

RE: Ambition? - Hammie - 11-03-2023

The whole issue of football finances seems to finally be in the spot light. Remove all forms of parachute payments and leveling out finance rules (as in our division where relegated clubs are specifically allowed to spend more than everyone else) would give all clubs a decent chance. At present we all know that at least two out of three of the promotion positions will go to a relegated club just about every year.

RE: Ambition? - Pedalo_menders - 11-03-2023

(09-03-2023, 11:28 PM)Tufnell_Chimes Wrote: The wage jump between League 2 and League 1 isn’t that much. The wage jump between League 1 and the Championship is massive, but the revenue doesn’t change much at all. The Championship really needs a tv deal that champions that league - it’s way better than the prem, but maybe it’s because of the prize, and the risk, and the sheer stamina needed to win it, that makes it so good.

Yes and no. The average mean salary bill is ridiculous. However, there are about 6-10 teams who have a reasonably sensible budget that us sustainable. Including the madhouse like Derby and the teams with parachute payments skew the average mean drastically. 

The last time I did the analysis (about 4 years ago) you got an extra £6M just for showing up in the champ. And televised games paid out 3x L1 (100k vs 30k) 

To say it isn't better economically for us to get promoted is very misleading. You can see first hand the likes of Peterborough, Barnsley, Rotherham, Luton, Coventry, etc etc,  all who get fook all gate receipts, but wipe the floor with us on the playing side.

RE: Ambition? - briefcase_wanchor - 11-03-2023

I’ve not followed how Derby turned things around but this time last year all the whinging and facts coming from their fans made it seem like they were destined for years of hand to mouth (I know their chairman was an arsehole). It was like Red Nose Day the way they were banging on. I assume they are nowhere near as impoverished as they were making out.

RE: Ambition? - Rick Pumpkin - 11-03-2023

(11-03-2023, 05:23 PM)briefcase_wanchor Wrote: I’ve not followed how Derby turned things around but this time last year all the whinging and facts coming from their fans made it seem like they were destined for years of hand to mouth (I know their chairman was an arsehole). It was like Red Nose Day the way they were banging on. I assume they are nowhere near as impoverished as they were making out
They've got new owners who pumped money in to fund a new squad, which in fairness they needed after the post-relegation exodus. They're doing well and getting better so aren't surprised their supporters aren't all doom and gloom. Bet if you looked hard enough you'd find some unhappy ones though!

RE: Ambition? - Cunninglinguist - 16-03-2023

20-21 we posted 4 million pound loss
Just about to announce further significant losses again.

Player budget has remained intact and, in fact, has increased.

Increased gates will not be enough to sustain us in the competitive Championship campaign.

So reports AC.

I’m perfectly happy with the way the Eisners are running the club. Sensible ambition is being demonstrated. The club is being rebuilt fro the ground up, literally.

RE: Ambition? - Mark_Hateley_83 - 18-03-2023

Says it all ...I rest my case. No Direction
No Ambition. 

So what do the happy clappers reply to that ?

RE: Ambition? - Hammie - 18-03-2023

We might just be waiting for the championship disaster zone to collapse like a house of cards....

RE: Ambition? - pushbike_pete_PFC - 18-03-2023

"So what do the happy clappers reply to that ?"

Fook off and go and support the pony pumpers up the road. They're an ambitious club for your sort of support

RE: Ambition? - dsmg - 18-03-2023

Mou wants to win every game. End of

RE: Ambition? - Pompeyg100 - 20-03-2023

Eric says he fully expects to be pushing for promotion next season and is unhappy with the last 3 seasons.

Interestingly we have gone from 1 academy scout to 11.