TrueBlueArmy Forums
Promotion challenging squad - Printable Version

+- TrueBlueArmy Forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com)
+-- Forum: TBA forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Play Up Pompey (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: Promotion challenging squad (/showthread.php?tid=2886)

Pages: 1 2

Promotion challenging squad - Daniel - 12-03-2023

Looking at who we have signed up for next season who is good enough to build around 

Goal keeper 

We have none on the books other than Toby Stewart so obviously that needs addressing I’ve liked Macey and if there is a deal to be had we should be looking to bring him in and is probably good enough.

Defence

Rafferty -  good enough for a top 6 side
Swanson - good back up to rafferty 
Ogilve - probably good enough
Hume  - not really sure why he was brought in so if we can move him on I would
Vincent- doing well in non league not sure if he is ready for the step up 
Raggett- a good mid table centre back nothing more if we are looking to push on I’d sell if we can 
Towler- the more he plays the better he becomes could be a big year for him next season 
Mnoga - non league/ league 2 at best at the moment 

Midfield 

Pack - is good but needs others to do his running so he can concentrate on pulling the strings 
Morrell - is good enough demands the ball and he isn’t afraid to get physical 
Lowery - early season form shows he’s very good but him and Morrell are so similar so need to be in a 433
Jewitt-White - not seen much of the lad so couldn’t comment 

Forwards 

Bishop - where would we be without his goals needs pace around him but a decent goal scorer at this level 
Lane - I liked what I saw from him yesterday not match sharp but played on the right will improve with game time 
Hacket - low wages squad player use for cup games not a starter 

Loans they all go back with the exception of Macey 

End of contracts

Robertson- go to injury prone 
Curtis- if we can sign him up and get him back to his best a front 3 of Curtis, bishop and lane looks good for starting line up 
Freeman - what a waste of wages
Jacobs- to injury prone
Oluwayemi - keep low wages good enough as back up
Tunni - 50/50 on him personally think his up term in performance is due to contract running out and will go back to type after signing a new one
Reid - can’t catch a break with injury let go
Mingi - I quite like him won’t be on big wages good for cup games and squad player 
Thompson- if we can sign him up he’s our only midfield destroyer also be on lowish wages

Don’t think I’ve missed anyone but in a 433 its not massive whole sale changes needed but no squad depth and we need a creative midfielder which we haven’t had since Gary Roberts

—————-Macey(if we can sign)———
Rafferty -(new signing)-towler - Ogilve 
————————Pack——————
—————Morrell- lowery————-
Lane————-bishop———— Curtis (if we resign)

RE: Promotion challenging squad - dsmg - 12-03-2023

Good analysis. Reckon Mingi could be a big player, very quick and strong. Been disappointed with Ogilvie lately, not the ultra consistent player of a year ago. Always gets in excellent crosses but gets caught out a lot and has been responsible for a few goals. He's also more and more turning to the Nathan Thompson book of theatrically buying fouls. He did it three times yesterday and will get shafted if the ref doesn't buy it.

RE: Promotion challenging squad - farq2 - 12-03-2023

(12-03-2023, 07:58 AM)Daniel Wrote: Looking at who we have signed up for next season who is good enough to build around 

Goal keeper 

We have none on the books other than Toby Stewart so obviously that needs addressing I’ve liked Macey and if there is a deal to be had we should be looking to bring him in and is probably good enough.

Defence

Raggett- a good mid table centre back nothing more if we are looking to push on I’d sell if we can 
Towler- the more he plays the better he becomes could be a big year for him next season 

Midfield 

Pack - is good but needs others to do his running so he can concentrate on pulling the strings 
Lowery - early season form shows he’s very good but him and Morrell are so similar so need to be in a 433

Forwards 

Bishop - where would we be without his goals needs pace around him but a decent goal scorer at this level 
Lane - I liked what I saw from him yesterday not match sharp but played on the right will improve with game time 

End of contracts

Curtis- if we can sign him up and get him back to his best a front 3 of Curtis, bishop and lane looks good for starting line up 
Jacobs- to injury prone
Tunni - 50/50 on him personally think his up term in performance is due to contract running out and will go back to type after signing a new one
Mingi - I quite like him won’t be on big wages good for cup games and squad player 
Thompson- if we can sign him up he’s our only midfield destroyer also be on lowish wages

Don’t think I’ve missed anyone but in a 433 its not massive whole sale changes needed but no squad depth and we need a creative midfielder which we haven’t had since Gary Roberts

————————Pack——————
I'd be amazed if that team finished top 6 next season, top half maybe.
Totally lacking pace throughout the side.

RE: Promotion challenging squad - Daniel - 12-03-2023

(12-03-2023, 09:10 AM)farq2 Wrote:
(12-03-2023, 07:58 AM)Daniel Wrote: Looking at who we have signed up for next season who is good enough to build around 

Goal keeper 

Defence

Midfield 

Forwards 

End of contracts

Jacobs- to injury prone

————————Pack——————
I'd be amazed if that team finished top 6 next season, top half maybe.
Totally lacking pace throughout the side.

No doubt we need pace we haven’t had that for a few years I was just trying to look at what we have to build on for next season.

Mingi is very quick and Morell pretty quick. Lane might be

RE: Promotion challenging squad - DeepBlue - 12-03-2023

(12-03-2023, 10:00 AM)dsmg Wrote: Mingi is very quick and Morell pretty quick. Lane might be

Lowery is quick too, not in the sprinting sense but he is moves the ball on quickly. 

We need a left-sided striker / wide man with pace.  

Someone like Blackett-Taylor.

Agreed on Lowery, good footballing brain too. Blackett-Taylor will cost a pretty penny.

(12-03-2023, 12:11 PM)dsmg Wrote: Agreed on Lowery, good footballing brain too. Blackett-Taylor will cost a pretty penny.

I believe he’s out of contract at the end of the season

Lowery or B-T? Presumably B-T. How long is Lowery's contract? Anyone know?

RE: Promotion challenging squad - Northstander - 12-03-2023

(12-03-2023, 12:36 PM)dsmg Wrote: Lowery or B-T? Presumably B-T. How long is Lowery's contract? Anyone know?

Signed a 3 year deal in August

(12-03-2023, 12:36 PM)dsmg Wrote: Lowery or B-T? Presumably B-T. How long is Lowery's contract? Anyone know?

Blackett-Taylor

RE: Promotion challenging squad - Hammie - 12-03-2023

A more realistic analysis than most.
We have the basis of a play off squad, and we are unlikely to go straight to a top 2 team if the clubs that come down are financially secure and thus allowed to spend big to keep their relegation squad together.
My first signing would be to try and keep Macey.
Then add two strikers, one permanent with pace and a bit of muscle (the Exeter type) probably with a young gun from Chelsea.
Our midfield fit is pretty good but could do with a bit of height against the likes of Barnsley
I think we all agree Robertson can move on, leaving a space for a centre with a bit of pace.
Left back needs looking at, even if we keep Ogilvie

RE: Promotion challenging squad - Daniel - 19-03-2023

Watching yesterday we have the core of a top 6 who are signed up for next season just need more depth and pace

RE: Promotion challenging squad - essentialmix75 - 19-03-2023

Anyone who thinks Hackett - will be on low wages next contract needs to have a rethink...

He had offers on the table in Jan from other league one clubs... He scores goals from midfield and he will be looking at other offers at the end of the season... And you can bet he will be on minimum of avg league one salary next contract.

Hackett mins per goal this season, is only beaten by Pigott and Bishop.

Someone will offer him a decent contract.

RE: Promotion challenging squad - Cunninglinguist - 19-03-2023

That’s not difficult, considering how few goals have come from players other than Bishop.

(19-03-2023, 01:32 PM)Cunninglinguist Wrote: That’s not difficult, considering how few goals have come from players other than Bishop.

Looking at his stats vs players who have left us and are in the same league, and that will also be on good money. 

Marcus Harness
GoalsGL AssistsA    PlayedP      Goals per 90    Mins per Goal
    5             2           38             0.23                  391

George Byers
GoalsGL AssistsA   PlayedP    Goals per 90     Mins per Goal
    6               3        29               0.29               306

Reeco Hackett-Fairchild
GoalsGL AssistsA    PlayedP    Goals per 90   Mins per Goal
    5            1           34               0.31                 288

Hackett will be on decent money next contract... If that's here or somewhere else. He will not be cheap.

RE: Promotion challenging squad - Hammie - 19-03-2023

Cook pointed out we had been changing too many players too often, to do with lower league players needing to get comfortable playing at the likes of Fratton Park.
So keep the core and add pace, a keeper, hopefully Macey and some more goals form somewhere.

RE: Promotion challenging squad - Cunninglinguist - 20-03-2023

(19-03-2023, 02:22 PM)essentialmix75 Wrote:
(19-03-2023, 01:32 PM)Cunninglinguist Wrote: That’s not difficult, considering how few goals have come from players other than Bishop.

Looking at his stats vs players who have left us and are in the same league, and that will also be on good money. 

Marcus Harness
GoalsGL AssistsA    PlayedP      Goals per 90    Mins per Goal
    5             2           38             0.23                  391

George Byers
GoalsGL AssistsA   PlayedP    Goals per 90     Mins per Goal
    6               3        29               0.29               306

Reeco Hackett-Fairchild
GoalsGL AssistsA    PlayedP    Goals per 90   Mins per Goal
    5            1           34               0.31                 288

Hackett will be on decent money next contract... If that's here or somewhere else. He will not be cheap.
He’s been absolute shit the last two games. Scored a wonder goal but absolute shit, otherwise.

Those are stats that register in my football watching mind.

Btw Marquis has a .43 goals per 90 mins stat. I wouldn’t want him playing for us either.

RE: Promotion challenging squad - Daniel - 19-04-2023

Having seen the last few games a few more players have dropped into the category of needing to be replaced.

Ogilvie seems to of struggled this season.
Also not sure what’s been going on with pack either he has been very poor also

Are are so one paced it’s a joke and easy to play against

RE: Promotion challenging squad - Hammie - 19-04-2023

The regulars have played an awful lot of games, so Ogilvie might simply be knackered or carrying injuries.
Pack worries me, he seems to have little pace and then gets a yellow as he is late in the tackle or frustrated.
Rafferty is one of our best, is Ogilvie as good? I'm not sure, he does not look as good but his stats are really very good attacking wise.

RE: Promotion challenging squad - bluetagagain - 19-04-2023

We need players that can score. Ipswich have at least 4 in Chaplin, Hirst, Broadhead and Lapado? plus Wes Burns.
We have Bishop and our second highest scorer is Ogilvie.
There’s a major part of why we’re going nowhere at the moment.

RE: Promotion challenging squad - Hammie - 19-04-2023

Thinking back to when Hawkins had a purple patch, our attack was very very difficult to stop.
I remember sitting in the Fratton End and thinking what a great attack we had and what a nightmare for the opposition to stop them, because there were so many of them threatening in each attack.

RE: Promotion challenging squad - West Australian Portsmouth Fan - 19-04-2023

(19-04-2023, 08:08 PM)Hammie Wrote: Thinking back to when Hawkins had a purple patch, our attack was very very difficult to stop.
I remember sitting in the Fratton End and thinking what a great attack we had and what a nightmare for the opposition to stop them, because there were so many of them threatening in each attack.
I remember thinking Ollie Hawkins was a big lump with very limited footballing ability. But I guess football is a game of opinions and I just gave you mine

RE: Promotion challenging squad - West Australian Portsmouth Fan - 19-04-2023

Would you re sign him? He’d be on the cheap now he’s plying his trade in League Two. Just the sort of player the Eisner’s like to sign too