TrueBlueArmy Forums
The forgotten art of a keeper drop kicking - Printable Version

+- TrueBlueArmy Forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com)
+-- Forum: TBA forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Play Up Pompey (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: The forgotten art of a keeper drop kicking (/showthread.php?tid=2904)

The forgotten art of a keeper drop kicking - briefcase_wanchor - 16-03-2023

It’s almost like they have outlawed it. Almost every team has their full backs to come short, or if it is a long ball it’s off the deck or thrown. Rarely does a quick attack get sprung by a good old fashioned punt (Bazunu was one of the few exceptions).

RE: The forgotten art of a keeper drop kicking - Rocketman - 16-03-2023

(16-03-2023, 10:27 PM)briefcase_wanchor Wrote: It’s almost like they have outlawed it. Almost every team has their full backs to come short, or if it is a long ball it’s off the deck or thrown. Rarely does a quick attack get sprung by a good old fashioned punt (Bazunu was one of the few exceptions).

Glad you mentioned punt. The commentators keep referring to drop kick when they mean punt.

RE: The forgotten art of a keeper drop kicking - Tomsk - 16-03-2023

It's the forgotten art of a keeper catching the friggin ball that does my nut in, rather than palming it out into a dangerous position or out for a corner.

RE: The forgotten art of a keeper drop kicking - bluetagagain - 16-03-2023

(16-03-2023, 11:28 PM)Tomsk Wrote: It's the forgotten art of a keeper catching the friggin ball that does my nut in, rather than palming it out into a dangerous position or out for a corner
I was talking about this the other day with a few mates and one of them was told it was because they way that the new style footballs are made,they're light and designed to swerve so its easier for a keeper to palm it away instead of catching (unless its a central midriff type of shot). Not sure if there's much truth in this but it seems logical, especially when you compare the older footballs of the 80/90's with the ones now.

RE: The forgotten art of a keeper drop kicking - exgaffer - 17-03-2023

(16-03-2023, 11:28 PM)Tomsk Wrote: It's the forgotten art of a keeper catching the friggin ball that does my nut in, rather than palming it out into a dangerous position or out for a corner.

Yes that does my head in too.

It comes from the same coaching school that says you should always play the ball out rather than punting it and always bring all your players back to defend corners rather than leaving at least one up.

I expect some little statistician came up with some dodgy figures to support these mad tactics.

RE: The forgotten art of a keeper drop kicking - BabaOReally - 17-03-2023

(17-03-2023, 06:58 AM)exgaffer Wrote:
(16-03-2023, 11:28 PM)Tomsk Wrote: It's the forgotten art of a keeper catching the friggin ball that does my nut in, rather than palming it out into a dangerous position or out for a corner.

Yes that does my head in too.

It comes from the same coaching school that says you should always play the ball out rather than punting it and always bring all your players back to defend corners rather than leaving at least one up. 

I expect some little statistician came up with some dodgy figures to support these mad tactics.
It also comes from the "I've got my coaching  badges from St George's Park/if it's good enough for Pep..." way of thinking  of the new breed of managers.

RE: The forgotten art of a keeper drop kicking - teeftwo - 17-03-2023

Certainly the kick technique changed to be more of a side kick than a hoof to give a flatter trajectory as this was more accurate and got the ball to the target faster. Not an easy one to master well.

One only supposes the obsession with possession based play has led to the demise of the cultured hoof.

(17-03-2023, 09:08 AM)Santa release Claus Wrote: It's not the 60s/70s anymore. Platers are technically good enough to play on the deck rather than aimlessly hoofing it forward and giving away possession.

Who said anything about ‘aimlessly hoofing’?

There is a place for the accurate long ball, it varies the play and gets you where you want to be (you know, attacking) more quickly and efficiently.

As for your pompous assertion that players are ‘technically’ better now, that does a disservice to the players in the 60’s and 70’s. There is an argument that they were more skillful, they had to contend with awful pitches and were not pampered like today’s players. It’s easy to look good playing on a billiard table surface with a better ball.

Players today are fitter, but there is no evidence that they are more skillful.

RE: The forgotten art of a keeper drop kicking - Deebo - 17-03-2023

From the little I’ve seen of the Premiership this season the 1970 Ryde Utd side would piss all over Man City.

RE: The forgotten art of a keeper drop kicking - Ain’t got a Danny - 17-03-2023

And those Norman bowmen would have made all the difference in the second gulf war.

RE: The forgotten art of a keeper drop kicking - Cleaver Greene - 17-03-2023

Alan Knight managed to hoof the ball down the tunnel when he punted the ball up the pitch. Once in a while it went straight.

RE: The forgotten art of a keeper drop kicking - exterminator - 17-03-2023

(17-03-2023, 09:08 AM)Santa release Claus Wrote: It's not the 60s/70s anymore. Platers are technically good enough to play on the deck rather than aimlessly hoofing it forward and giving away possession.

All Brian Clough teams goalkeepers used to drop kick the ball. His teams played the ball on the deck and kept possession.

The difference was you usually had a decent centre forward to hold the ball or win a header.

(17-03-2023, 12:11 PM)Santa release Claus Wrote: That's laughable. The Cruyff turn was considered revolutionary in the 70s, now any non-league keeper worth his salt pulls them off with aplomb.

Look at footage from that period, the standard's absolutely fucking dreadful.

I don’t have to look at the footage you clown, I was there  Big Grin .

As for the Cruyff turn being ‘revolutionary’, that is exaggeration of the highest order and indicative of someone who is influenced by the media rather than reality.

The standard of football was not dreadful, in fact in many cases it was much better in terms of entertainment.

The modern footballer would struggle to play at all on the bad pitches back then and players like Frank Worthington, Tony Currie, Rodney Marsh and Stan Bowles (to name but four) were very skilful indeed. They also had to contend with real tackling and hard men, something today’s players would struggle with.

It is impossible to compare an intense game played by hard men on quagmires or rutted and/or frozen pitches with a game played on forgiving billiard table pitches, with no real tackling allowed.

As a spectacle though, give me the old days anytime  Smile .

RE: The forgotten art of a keeper drop kicking - Hammie - 17-03-2023

five a side tippy tappy often played slowly on a million pound pitch which rarely varies much
or playing on any surface at any time of year

Which were more skillful?

not to mention playing in boots that protected from broken bones or a pair of slippers.

As Alan Knight said, he would have been bored playing as a keeper these days with little or nothing to do, as compared to his era being expected to actually make saves every game. Ditto for watching most of it.

RE: The forgotten art of a keeper drop kicking - Hermann's_no_hermit - 18-03-2023

(18-03-2023, 11:14 AM)Santa release Claus Wrote:
(17-03-2023, 05:22 PM)exgaffer Wrote:
(17-03-2023, 12:11 PM)Santa release Claus Wrote: That's laughable. The Cruyff turn was considered revolutionary in the 70s, now any non-league keeper worth his salt pulls them off with aplomb.

Look at footage from that period, the standard's absolutely fucking dreadful.

I don’t have to look at the footage you clown, I was there  Big Grin .

As for the Cruyff turn being ‘revolutionary’, that is exaggeration of the highest order and indicative of someone who is influenced by the media rather than reality.

The standard of football was not dreadful, in fact in many cases it was much better in terms of entertainment.

The modern footballer would struggle to play at all on the bad pitches back then and players like Frank Worthington, Tony Currie, Rodney Marsh and Stan Bowles (to name but four) were very skilful indeed. They also had to contend with real tackling and hard men, something today’s players would struggle with.

It is impossible to compare an intense game played by hard men on quagmires or rutted and/or frozen pitches with a game played on forgiving billiard table pitches, with no real tackling allowed.

As a spectacle though, give me the old days anytime  Smile .

Laughable. Watch a re-run of the 1966 world Cup final. Perfect pitch, ideal playing conditions, the best players in the world at the pinnacle of the game. And they're all rubbish. A conference team today would trounce them.
Total bollox. Remember what the old footballs were like compared with a modern one? I will admit that the fitness levels of modern players is greater with a far more disciplined approach than the like of Bowles, Worthington, etc had but skill-wise those guys would play almost any current English player off the park. Gaffer is (unusually) right on this one

RE: The forgotten art of a keeper drop kicking - pushbike_pete_PFC - 18-03-2023

Now George Best was the man! He certainly could run rings around anyone then and probably could now. Mind you, he was a bit like Dale in that respect.. he'd beat a player, dribble around a bit, wait for the defender to get back and then beat him again. Sometimes he even crossed the ball! Great entertainment sadly missing in today's game.

RE: The forgotten art of a keeper drop kicking - dsmg - 18-03-2023

I think Gilles is pulling a few plonkers