TrueBlueArmy Forums
Bishop’s value - Printable Version

+- TrueBlueArmy Forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com)
+-- Forum: TBA forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Play Up Pompey (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: Bishop’s value (/showthread.php?tid=2907)

Pages: 1 2

Bishop’s value - Daniel - 18-03-2023

If we were to get a offer in on him in the summer what do we accept or what is his value 

Currently has 20 goals 4 assists with games left to play this season to improve 

I was trying to look at similar transfers on stats from league one

Scott twine 

20 goals 13 assists sold for 2.9-5 million (undisclosed but differing values reported)

Ivan Toney 

26 goals 7 assists sold for sold for 5.6 million to Brentford 

Not saying bishop is as good as either but stat wise this season he isn’t too far away from them

RE: Bishop’s value - dsmg - 18-03-2023

Ivan Toney picked for England (if he can keep out of the bookies)

RE: Bishop’s value - Daniel - 18-03-2023

(18-03-2023, 06:34 AM)dsmg Wrote: Ivan Toney picked for England (if he can keep out of the bookies)

Not when he was playing for Peterborough this was his league one stats before he got sold to Brentford

RE: Bishop’s value - Cunninglinguist - 18-03-2023

(18-03-2023, 06:34 AM)dsmg Wrote: Ivan Toney picked for England (if he can keep out of the bookies)

I wouldn’t bet on it.

RE: Bishop’s value - firqdays - 18-03-2023

The very simple equation is if we do sell Bish - and I personally hope not, how much do we have to pay for a replacement ?

And, even if we do is the newbie going to score as many, or more goals ?

We have a proven goal=scorer - why would you ever consider letting him go?

RE: Bishop’s value - blueandwight - 18-03-2023

(18-03-2023, 08:42 AM)firqdays Wrote: The very simple equation is if we do sell Bish - and I personally hope not, how much do we have to pay for a replacement ?

Absolutely, we should do everything we can to hold onto him.
Having moved from a place like Accrington he owes us at least one more season and he might well do that if he can see a significant increase in the playing budget sufficient to build a side that might finally push us over the line in 2023/24.

RE: Bishop’s value - Pompeyg100 - 18-03-2023

(18-03-2023, 08:42 AM)firqdays Wrote: The very simple equation is if we do sell Bish - and I personally hope not, how much do we have to pay for a replacement ?

You could potentially get a replacement for nothing. He was a 10 goal a season L1 striker before this season.

You would consider letting him go so that you could improve the squad.

I don’t want him to go but would understand if we cashed in.

RE: Bishop’s value - Hermann's_no_hermit - 18-03-2023

Surely if we really want to develop a promotion squad we have to hold on to our best players. I get that we could potentially sell him and buy 3 adequate players, but adequate doesn't get you promotion. Bishop had a bit of a dry spell mid season but his link-up play has really improved under JM and he looks a better player now than when he arrived. What we need is 2 or 3 more players as good as him to make a promotion squad. Recent history shows us that selling our best players and replacing with mediocrity won't cut it.

RE: Bishop’s value - Pompeyg100 - 18-03-2023

(18-03-2023, 11:49 AM)Hermann's_no_hermit Wrote: Surely if we really want to develop a promotion squad we have to hold on to our best players. I get that we could potentially sell him and buy 3 adequate players, but adequate doesn't get you promotion. Bishop had a bit of a dry spell mid season but his link-up play has really improved under JM and he looks a better player now than when he arrived. What we need is 2 or 3 more players as good as him to make a promotion squad. Recent history shows us that selling our best players and replacing with mediocrity won't cut it.

The plan clearly wouldn’t be to replace him with adequate players would it?

(18-03-2023, 12:17 PM)Pompeyg100 Wrote:
(18-03-2023, 11:49 AM)Hermann's_no_hermit Wrote: Surely if we really want to develop a promotion squad we have to hold on to our best players. I get that we could potentially sell him and buy 3 adequate players, but adequate doesn't get you promotion. Bishop had a bit of a dry spell mid season but his link-up play has really improved under JM and he looks a better player now than when he arrived. What we need is 2 or 3 more players as good as him to make a promotion squad. Recent history shows us that selling our best players and replacing with mediocrity won't cut it.

I reckon you could get Alfie May and macaulay langstaff with what you sell bishop for and still have money left over to get a left winger.

Just gone up a few more hundred thousand

RE: Bishop’s value - DeepBlue - 18-03-2023

(18-03-2023, 01:01 PM)Daniel Wrote:
(18-03-2023, 12:17 PM)Pompeyg100 Wrote:

I reckon you could get Alfie May and macaulay langstaff with what you sell bishop for and still have money left over to get a left winger.

After seeing May's attitude in the Exeter game I would not touch him with a bargepole. He was lazy and spent his time moaning at the players doing his running for him.

RE: Bishop’s value - Cunninglinguist - 19-03-2023

We really need to make every effort to keep hold of Bishop. To keep him, it needs to be shown that he can advance his career with Pompey.

RE: Bishop’s value - Daniel - 19-03-2023

I wouldn’t want him to leave and we would need 4 mill clear as I’d imagine there is some sort of sell on fee to go to Accrington Stanley. But if it all got put back into the team and spent
Aaron Collins 2 mill
Tommy Leigh 300k got to worth less that bishop
Joe piggot 500k
Alfie May 300k (last year of contract)
macaulay langstaff 300k (non league gem)

Could fund a promotion push

RE: Bishop’s value - DeepBlue - 19-03-2023

(19-03-2023, 10:37 AM)Daniel Wrote: I wouldn’t want him to leave and we would need 4 mill clear as I’d imagine there is some sort of sell on fee to go to Accrington Stanley. But if it all got put back into the team and spent
Aaron Collins 2 mill
Joe piggot 500k

Tommy Leigh ?  Do we need any more midfielders ? No doubt he might fancy coming back here but not sure that is a position we need to spend money on. 

And Langstaff won't be a non-league player come the end of the season, and I'm pretty sure they would want considerably more than 300k for him.  He is having an outstanding season, but is 26 with a history of mediocrity behind him so is he really championship material, which is what we need to be signing ?

RE: Bishop’s value - Pedalo_menders - 04-04-2023

(19-03-2023, 11:34 AM)DeepBlue Wrote:
(19-03-2023, 10:37 AM)Daniel Wrote: I wouldn’t want him to leave and we would need 4 mill clear as I’d imagine there is some sort of sell on fee to go to Accrington Stanley. But if it all got put back into the team and spent
Aaron Collins 2 mill
Joe piggot 500k

Tommy Leigh ?  Do we need any more midfielders ? No doubt he might fancy coming back here but not sure that is a position we need to spend money on. 

And Langstaff won't be a non-league player come the end of the season, and I'm pretty sure they would want considerably more than 300k for him.  He is having an outstanding season, but is 26 with a history of mediocrity behind him so is he really championship material, which is what we need to be signing ?

Yes, we do need more midfielders. It's likely Curtis, Thompson, dale and tunicliff will go and we don't wanna be left with 2 midgets in midfield (as good at passing as they are).

It would be madness to sell Colby, given we have zero other strikers.

RE: Bishop’s value - bluetagagain - 04-04-2023

We’d also have Pack and Mingi ( maybe), but we will need at least 2 more . JM is also looking at converting Vincent into a wide left attacking midfielder.

RE: Bishop’s value - firqdays - 04-04-2023

For me , I stay with what I entered above.

Lots of suggestions about possible £3/4 mill transfers, and who to buy on the proceeds.... BUT

To my mind , if we want to build a Championship credible team, we just have to retain people like BISHOP and add similar quality. PUP

Oh - apparently, heard today, that JANNERS getting very worried about who may complete the season in 3rd position, and - lets go for it - 6th position !

RE: Bishop’s value - foxleyblue - 04-04-2023

if you're readuing this Colby. Don't take any notice.
I bet most supporters will scream merry hell if we sell you Wink

RE: Bishop’s value - Pompeyg100 - 04-04-2023

(04-04-2023, 03:51 PM)Pedalo_menders Wrote:
(19-03-2023, 11:34 AM)DeepBlue Wrote:
Aaron Collins 2 mill
Joe piggot 500k

Yes, we do need more midfielders. It's likely Curtis, Thompson, dale and tunicliff will go and we don't wanna be left with 2 midgets in midfield (as good at passing as they are).

It would be madness to sell Colby, given we have zero other strikers.

He’d be replaced, we wouldn’t sell him and then not sign any strikers ffs.

RE: Bishop’s value - Gerry Hatrick - 04-04-2023

A bird in the hand......
But if a player wants to go, the club can do very little about it. And we can only respect a professional wanting to better himself.

Naturally all that respect would be null and void if he went to a championship side like Scummers.

RE: Bishop’s value - foxleyblue - 05-04-2023

(04-04-2023, 06:56 PM)Gerry Hatrick Wrote: A bird in the hand......
But if a player wants to go, the club can do very little about it. 

As was the case with Conor Chaplin.

RE: Bishop’s value - Daniel - 05-04-2023

I think we sell bishop and Morrell we probably get about 4 million for both after sell on fee’s that can get us 6/7 quality signings for this league plus there will be decent free agents available.

RE: Bishop’s value - firqdays - 05-04-2023

Dan, could we guarantee 'they' fit into the team ?
score an equal amount of goals..?
Why, can't we add to the quality we have ? ..... Oh, why are they free agents ?

RE: Bishop’s value - Gerry Hatrick - 05-04-2023

(05-04-2023, 07:39 AM)Daniel Wrote: I think we sell bishop and Morrell we probably get about 4 million for both after sell on fee’s that can get us 6/7 quality signings for this league plus there will be decent free agents available.

Trouble is we have an excellent record in squandering any money accrued through player sales. Selling quality = (another) backward step.