TrueBlueArmy Forums
Only FIVE other English teams .... - Printable Version

+- TrueBlueArmy Forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com)
+-- Forum: TBA forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Play Up Pompey (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: Only FIVE other English teams .... (/showthread.php?tid=2939)

Only FIVE other English teams .... - firqdays - 29-03-2023

A time to be proud , on Saturday, Pompey presenting the Photos of their historic back-to back English League Championships. 

Only Five other English teams have achieved this feat - this great honour for their fans.

Do not underestimate this achievement . 

Coupled with our FA Cup wins; Charity shields win; and ( also) joining a small elite group of clubs who became Champions of EACH division in the football league pyramid. 

Be loud ..... be very proud, this is endorsed and permanent history - THIS is Portsmouth FC !

RE: Only FIVE other English teams .... - Ain’t got a Danny - 29-03-2023

Yes plus these:

non league to Division 1 1920-27

Div 4 to Div 1 1980-87

Seven a lucky number?

RE: Only FIVE other English teams .... - Slagger - 29-03-2023

(29-03-2023, 04:57 PM)Ain’t got a Danny Wrote: Yes plus these:

Div 4 to Div 1 1980-87

Seven a lucky number?

So does that mean we have to wait until 2027 until we get to the Championship? Huh

RE: Only FIVE other English teams .... - Pedalo_menders - 29-03-2023

(29-03-2023, 05:28 PM)Slagger Wrote:

Div 4 to Div 1 1980-87

Seven a lucky number?

So does that mean we have to wait until 2027 until we get to the Championship? Huh

Nah, we'll still be mid table L1 then

RE: Only FIVE other English teams .... - 66zoolane - 29-03-2023

(29-03-2023, 05:28 PM)Slagger Wrote:

Div 4 to Div 1 1980-87

Seven a lucky number?

I took it as meaning next season will be our 7th in League One

I hope that's what it meant anyway

RE: Only FIVE other English teams .... - Pompey_in_Derby - 29-03-2023

(29-03-2023, 04:23 PM)firqdays Wrote: A time to be proud , on Saturday, Pompey presenting the Photos of their historic back-to back English League Championships. 

Only Five other English teams have achieved this feat - this great honour for their fans.

Coupled with our FA Cup wins; Charity shields win; and ( also) joining a small elite group of clubs who became Champions of EACH division in the football league pyramid. 

Be loud ..... be very proud, this is endorsed and permanent history - THIS is Portsmouth FC !

While I'm proud to support a club who have won back-to-back league titles, we should bear in mind that only Five other English teams have achieved this feat.............. SINCE WW2.

Just as some people quote stats that imply football started with the Premier League, let's also remember that football existed well before 1945......... who won the FA Cup in their third final in 1939 eh?

Huddersfield and Arsenal won the league three years on the trot in the 1920s and 1930s. A few clubs achieved two on the trot - Preston, Sunderland, Villa and Sheffield Wednesday.

However, irrespective of the time frame, there's one stat that will last forever.......... scum never have and never will will the league!

RE: Only FIVE other English teams .... - 66zoolane - 29-03-2023

(29-03-2023, 07:20 PM)Pompey_in_Derby Wrote:
(29-03-2023, 04:23 PM)firqdays Wrote: A time to be proud , on Saturday, Pompey presenting the Photos of their historic back-to back English League Championships. 

While I'm proud to support a club who have won back-to-back league titles, we should bear in mind that only Five other English teams have achieved this feat.............. SINCE WW2.

Just as some people quote stats that imply football started with the Premier League, let's also remember that football existed well before 1945......... who won the FA Cup in their third final in 1939 eh?

Huddersfield and Arsenal won the league three years on the trot in the 1920s and 1930s. A few clubs achieved two on the trot - Preston, Sunderland, Villa and Sheffield Wednesday.

However, irrespective of the time frame, there's one stat that will last forever.......... scum never have and never will will the league!

Was the 'will will' to imply they'll never win it a second time on the trot after they never win it the first time?

RE: Only FIVE other English teams .... - Pompey_in_Derby - 29-03-2023

(29-03-2023, 07:25 PM)66zoolane Wrote:
(29-03-2023, 07:20 PM)Pompey_in_Derby Wrote:

Was the 'will will' to imply they'll never win it a second time on the trot after they never win it the first time?

Good spot 66ZL........ think it's more a case of my spell-checker struggling to accept a sentence that contains 'scum' and the word 'win'!

RE: Only FIVE other English teams .... - 2_Kuhl - 30-03-2023

Not forgetting, we are the only side in the history of English football to win all four Divisions and win the FA Cup at both the old and new Wembley.

We're massive.

RE: Only FIVE other English teams .... - stayinupforever - 30-03-2023

And what have that lot down the road achieved? Almost zilch!

RE: Only FIVE other English teams .... - BilltheCat - 30-03-2023

This is what you do when you haven't won anything in a long while:

https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/southampton/news/42616/scummers-1976-fa-cup-final-team-to-parade-down-to-st-marys-on-open-top-bus/onthisday

RE: Only FIVE other English teams .... - firqdays - 30-03-2023

They won the cup once - just - - BUT, an offside goal by a Pompey Boy.....

RE: Only FIVE other English teams .... - Smirnoffexpress - 30-03-2023

(30-03-2023, 04:06 PM)firqdays Wrote: They won the cup once - just - - BUT, an offside goal by a Pompey Boy.....

One pot w@nkers Big Grin

When the history of South Coast football is written Portsmouth Football Club is it.

RE: Only FIVE other English teams .... - Gerry Hatrick - 31-03-2023

(30-03-2023, 06:19 AM)2_Kuhl Wrote: Not forgetting, we are the only side in the history of English football to win all four Divisions and win the FA Cup at both the old and new Wembley.

We're massive.

Getting a bit carried away here, aren't we? Burnely, Wolves, Sheffield United and Preston have also won all four divs. and lots of teams have won the cup in both stadiums.

RE: Only FIVE other English teams .... - 2_Kuhl - 31-03-2023

(31-03-2023, 05:35 AM)Gerry Hatrick Wrote:
(30-03-2023, 06:19 AM)2_Kuhl Wrote: Not forgetting, we are the only side in the history of English football to win all four Divisions and win the FA Cup at both the old and new Wembley.

We're massive.

Getting a bit carried away here, aren't we? Burnely, Wolves, Sheffield United and Preston have also won all four divs. and lots of teams have won the cup in both stadiums.

You may need to go back and re-read my statement bud. I'm aware other clubs have won all the leagues and cups in both new and old Wembley. However no other club has combined all.

RE: Only FIVE other English teams .... - SouthseaBubble - 31-03-2023

(31-03-2023, 06:38 AM)2_Kuhl Wrote:
(31-03-2023, 05:35 AM)Gerry Hatrick Wrote:

We're massive.

You may need to go back and re-read my statement bud. I'm aware other clubs have won all the leagues and cups in both new and old Wembley. However no other club has combined all.

I think that what really sets Pompey apart, along with Wolves, is that we've both also won the Third Division when it was still regionalised, them North, us South. Of course, rather a lot of clubs have not had the opportunity to compete in the Fourth Division and are no doubt relieved at that.  Still, since we did, I'm glad we won it!

RE: Only FIVE other English teams .... - Gerry Hatrick - 31-03-2023

Oh, I get it. In fact what sets us apart even more is that we are the only side in the history of the universe to win all four divisions AND the FA Cup in both stadiums AND have a double 'tt' occuring in the name of our ground. 
COMBINED.
EVER.

RE: Only FIVE other English teams .... - dsmg - 31-03-2023

What I like is that we have the only ground spelt backwards which reads: Krap Nott arf

RE: Only FIVE other English teams .... - Kingo - 01-04-2023

And forever grateful it's not called the Dodgy Deals Car Leasing stadium.