TrueBlueArmy Forums
Laborious victory - Printable Version

+- TrueBlueArmy Forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com)
+-- Forum: TBA forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Play Up Pompey (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: Laborious victory (/showthread.php?tid=2953)

Laborious victory - stayinupforever - 01-04-2023

Please,Mousinho,stop the players passing backwards or sideways when we have possession in our own half.

RE: Laborious victory - TBP - 01-04-2023

This frustrated me too. Their first instinct is always to go back and never forwards. This was a problem under Cowley aswell.

RE: Laborious victory - Hammie - 01-04-2023

or another two words
modern coaching

RE: Laborious victory - kindofblue - 01-04-2023

(01-04-2023, 07:55 PM)Hammie Wrote: or another two words
modern coaching

But good sides don't do it do they- they go for the jugular wherever possible. It was so frustrating today watching Pompey players instinctively going sideways and then backwards, often when there were opportunities for going forward. FGR aren't bottom for nothing and a good ruthless side would have constantly probed. 
Not sure whether I like football any more if this is what's served up every week by us and others.

RE: Laborious victory - West Australian Portsmouth Fan - 01-04-2023

(01-04-2023, 06:07 PM)TBP Wrote: This frustrated me too. Their first instinct is always to go back and never forwards. This was a problem under Cowley aswell.

Mousinho and the Cowley’s got their coaching badges together. This is probably how they teach them football should be played. I’m not sure with 11 behind the ball whether going the direct route would have been much more entertaining or effective either with our current playing squad. 1980’s Wimbledon style football in my opinion needs 1980’s Wimbledon style players

RE: Laborious victory - exgaffer - 01-04-2023

(01-04-2023, 05:57 PM)stayinupforever Wrote: Please,Mousinho,stop the players passing backwards or sideways when we have possession in our own half.

Yep, we had pretty much all the ball in the first half but their keeper didn’t have a shot to save.

The object is to score but you wouldn’t have believed it today.

I’m obviously thankful that we won but this defensive attitude will cost us.

RE: Laborious victory - Hammie - 01-04-2023

Perhaps Bishop on his own against 8 defenders is asking a lot of him?

RE: Laborious victory - Cunninglinguist - 02-04-2023

Funny how we see things differently.

I saw marauding play going down the right side, in the first half. This against a side that set up to be very compact and to not concede (a side who beat Sheffield Wednesday, using the same tactics). Moushino counts 13 crosses into the box in the first half (regardless of quality). Hardly lacking in effort. If anything, we were guilty of not getting players into the box to assist Bishop. As Hammie has rightly commented…

Jacobs busted a gut to leave defenders on their arse on more than one occasion. If he’d got the goals his dribbling ability deserved, FGR wouldn’t have been able to maintain that shape in their search for an equaliser. Against a side that plays that way, sideways and around is probably the best way. It ain’t pretty but it was necessary.

Tunnicliffe was made to sit in front of the defenders, linking play across the back, switching sides. It’s not a role that would come naturally to him and I don’t think he was that great at it. Pack is far more suited to that role, not being so energetic.
They didn’t but if Jacobs and particularly Dale had taken their chances, we wouldn’t be bemoaning a lack of goals against a tedious side.

RE: Laborious victory - briefcase_wanchor - 02-04-2023

Simply, we lack the quality of wingers or attacking playmakers to break down sides who park the bus. The amount of possession we had yesterday, especially first half, should have yielded many more chances. We were under zero pressure. Countless times we tried to work an opening on or near the edge of the box and lost possession. We are generally shot-shy. Mix it up and try a shot every once in a while - shooting through a crowded area anything could happen. Training ground stuff.

RE: Laborious victory - dsmg - 02-04-2023

Curtis is good at that

RE: Laborious victory - Cunninglinguist - 02-04-2023

(02-04-2023, 09:33 AM)briefcase_wanchor Wrote: Simply, we lack the quality of wingers or attacking playmakers to break down sides who park the bus. The amount of possession we had yesterday, especially first half, should have yielded many more chances. We were under zero pressure. Countless times we tried to work an opening on or near the edge of the box and lost possession. We are generally shot-shy. Mix it up and try a shot every once in a while - shooting through a crowded area anything could happen. Training ground stuff.

We did break them down. Jacobs should have had a brace and Dale should have had a hat trick.

RE: Laborious victory - West Australian Portsmouth Fan - 02-04-2023

Anyone know why Reeco wasn’t on the bench? What’s his injury?

RE: Laborious victory - bluetagagain - 02-04-2023

Crapitis

RE: Laborious victory - briefcase_wanchor - 02-04-2023

(02-04-2023, 12:53 PM)Cunninglinguist Wrote:
(02-04-2023, 09:33 AM)briefcase_wanchor Wrote: Simply, we lack the quality of wingers or attacking playmakers to break down sides who park the bus. The amount of possession we had yesterday, especially first half, should have yielded many more chances. We were under zero pressure. Countless times we tried to work an opening on or near the edge of the box and lost possession. We are generally shot-shy. Mix it up and try a shot every once in a while - shooting through a crowded area anything could happen. Training ground stuff.

We did break them down. Jacobs should have had a brace and Dale should have had a hat trick.

Quite.  Five decent chances created in the 80 mins the opposition let us have the ball for fun.

RE: Laborious victory - Hammie - 03-04-2023

We've all seen down the years, how hard it is to break down a team who come to "park the bus"
They looked pretty well set up.
I do think with a defender dropping off, we needed to give Bishop a buddy close to him as it was very difficult for him to do anything even if he did win a header.