TrueBlueArmy Forums
New Low - Printable Version

+- TrueBlueArmy Forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com)
+-- Forum: TBA forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Play Up Pompey (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: New Low (/showthread.php?tid=2974)

Pages: 1 2 3

New Low - exgaffer - 10-04-2023

A game we had to win to keep our slim hopes of a play off spot alive and their keeper didn’t have a shot worthy of the name to save until the last couple of minutes.

Pathetic.

We should have been peppering their goal with shots, not poncing about playing the ball back all the time.

We deserved to lose that match because we were so negative.

When, oh when are the Pompey crowd going to get a team worthy of them, hopefully it will be in my lifetime but I somehow doubt it.

RE: New Low - Rocketman - 10-04-2023

(10-04-2023, 07:45 PM)exgaffer Wrote: A game we had to win to keep our slim hopes of a play off spot alive and their keeper didn’t have a shot worthy of the name to save until the last couple of minutes.
Pathetic.
We should have been peppering their goal with shots, not poncing about playing the ball back all the time.
We deserved to lose that match because we were so negative.
When, oh when are the Pompey crowd going to get a team worthy of them, hopefully it will be in my lifetime but I somehow doubt it.
"We should have been peppering their goal with shots, not poncing about playing the ball back all the time". Absolutely spot on!

RE: New Low - Sharpe* - 10-04-2023

I've felt worse - last 6 months under Jackett.

I'm hopeful there will be a lot of changes this summer (fingers crossed).

We, as fans, do commit a lot to this club and it often feels like we don't get a lot back.

Alternative though is going to support Man City and glory hunting - stuff that!

Just hope the Eisners properly invest in this team and back John.

RE: New Low - Hammie - 10-04-2023

The draw back in younger manager types is they all have to have the FA Coaching badges. Which means they all are brainwashed into play from the back, tippy tappy defensive crap. Even at school level I've witnessed coaching badge types tell off 8 year olds for daring to take on a defender rather than pass it about, then sub them off for a player who will follow instructions.
Funny seeing the difference Warnock and Woy have made higher up to teams struggling against relegation.

RE: New Low - Pompeyg100 - 10-04-2023

(10-04-2023, 09:48 PM)Hammie Wrote: The draw back in younger manager types is they all have to have the FA Coaching badges. Which means they all are brainwashed into play from the back, tippy tappy defensive crap. Even at school level I've witnessed coaching badge types tell off 8 year olds for daring to take on a defender rather than pass it about, then sub them off for a player who will follow instructions.
Funny seeing the difference Warnock and Woy have made higher up to teams struggling against relegation.

They don’t get trained in a particular style of play, much of it is about man management, training techniques etc.

RE: New Low - mike hunt - 11-04-2023

However they get trained, surely the most important thing is to win games, I could have prediced we wouldnt beat morecombe ,always faffing about in stead of going for the jugular , not good viewing

RE: New Low - exgaffer - 11-04-2023

(10-04-2023, 08:09 PM)Sharpe* Wrote: I've felt worse - last 6 months under Jackett.

We, as fans, do commit a lot to this club and it often feels like we don't get a lot back.

If you are a true fan there are no other options.

RE: New Low - Gerry Hatrick - 11-04-2023

(11-04-2023, 07:08 AM)exgaffer Wrote:
(10-04-2023, 08:09 PM)Sharpe* Wrote: I've felt worse - last 6 months under Jackett.

If you are a true fan there are no other options.

We are Lifers.

RE: New Low - mikey393 - 11-04-2023

(10-04-2023, 09:48 PM)Hammie Wrote: The draw back in younger manager types is they all have to have the FA Coaching badges. Which means they all are brainwashed into play from the back, tippy tappy defensive crap. Even at school level I've witnessed coaching badge types tell off 8 year olds for daring to take on a defender rather than pass it about, then sub them off for a player who will follow instructions.

Totally agree with you there. We could have had Warnock  o.k. until the end of the season but pretty confident we would have made the play offs.. Both him & Woy have a winning mentality. JM is one for the future. I listened to the 1st half & fell asleep so boring. We missed Jacobs yesterday as we had No creativity except for Lowery. Why cant Piggot start with Bishop. JM doesn't trust him it seems. RH needs a decent budget for next season but quality over quantity needed.PUP!

RE: New Low - Pompeyg100 - 11-04-2023

(11-04-2023, 08:34 AM)mikey393 Wrote:

Totally agree with you there. We could have had Warnock  o.k. until the end of the season but pretty confident we would have made the play offs.. Both him & Woy have a winning mentality. JM is one for the future. I listened to the 1st half & fell asleep so boring. We missed Jacobs yesterday as we had No creativity except for Lowery. Why cant Piggot start with Bishop. JM doesn't trust him it seems. RH needs a decent budget for next season but quality over quantity needed.PUP!

Lol Warnock is managing in the Champ on at least double the wages we can pay for a manager. What happens at the end of the season and we wouldn’t have a manager?

RE: New Low - Sharpe* - 11-04-2023

Yeah I'd like to see Piggott start.

With the time he gets he does offer a threat.

Quite like him.

RE: New Low - Kingo - 11-04-2023

If we'd just done the obvious, started with Bish and Pig and replaced one of them with Scarlett after an hour every time we could, we'd be in the play offs.

(11-04-2023, 08:37 AM)Pompeyg100 Wrote:

Lol Warnock is managing in the Champ on at least double the wages we can pay for a manager. What happens at the end of the season and we wouldn’t have a manager?

Warnock is just doing it for fun now, money isn’t a problem for him.

He always wanted this job and would have come in a heartbeat if we’d offered it to him.

He wouldn’t have tolerated yesterday’s limp shambles that’s for sure.

RE: New Low - Hammie - 11-04-2023

I wasn't suggesting we appoint either, just pointing out that "modern" tippy tappy football like all the young managers insist on is not the only way to go.
In fact, it probably won't be long before the new "big" change of style comes running over the hill.

RE: New Low - bluetagagain - 11-04-2023

I made the decision for the FGR game to remain in Spoons instead of going down to watch the game ( 3 of us but only 2 of us had ST's ), it was a great decision. Wish I'd done it yesterday. Instead i watched side ways passing, playing 433 for Pack to continuously hit balls into the channels when there was no one there. Raggett and especially Robertson just booting it aimlessly up field and Dale running around like a headless chicken.

I'm afraid that's me for the rest of the season,we ain't making the play-offs,so maybe a time to play a few nippers.

We do need a clear out. Give Ogilvie a new contract,sign Macey and bin Robertson,Thompson,Jacobs,Curtis,Tunnicliffe and Recco Our defence and central midfield is good enough for next season. We need creative players (No 10) and wide players that can score otherwise we'll never achieve anything.

(11-04-2023, 08:50 AM)Kingo Wrote: If we'd just done the obvious, started with Bish and Pig and replaced one of them with Scarlett after an hour every time we could, we'd be in the play offs.

Dane Scarlett would not get us promoted lol, he’s useless.

(11-04-2023, 08:59 AM)exgaffer Wrote:

He always wanted this job and would have come in a heartbeat if we’d offered it to him.

Lol so his book is free and he’s not being paid by Huddersfield?

RE: New Low - Gerry Hatrick - 11-04-2023

Can't help but feel we missed a trick with Darren Ferguson. When he was appointed, Peterborough were four points ahead of us but we had two games in hand over them.  During that long hiatus after Cowley was sacked Darragh McAnthony feared we might appoint him because he knew Fergie was the man to get them up. Whether we would have gone for him is another matter but right now, while others falter, the wind is in their sails and I wouldn't be suprised if he achieved a third league one promotion with Boro.

How many 60+ year old managers are currently managing clubs in the top half of L1?

RE: New Low - briefcase_wanchor - 11-04-2023

Pretty much all season we have been starting with only one natural goalscorer. Yesterday is just one example of how unforgivable that is, at home against a poor team who offered nothing.

And then you look at the rest of the squad - who else would you consider a natural goal scorer? Probably only Piggot and Curtis. One is crocked and the other not fancied. You could maybe include Lane (also knacked) who was brought in mid-season with a lack of match practice and form and who has, unsurprisingly, not hit the ground running. Our second highest scorer is our left back - says it all.

I’d go as far as saying with the lack of scoring ability in the squad, we never stood a chance of challenging at the top this season.

RE: New Low - The Realist - 11-04-2023

Time to focus on the positives from yesterday - fantastic steak pies at the Fratton End and can the bar staff at The Nell Gwyn get any better?

(11-04-2023, 09:44 AM)Pompeyg100 Wrote:

What a daft comment, where did I say he shouldn’t be paid?

I’m just saying that he is not short of a few bob and is really only managing as a hobby. When you get to his age money isn’t everything, obviously you need some but you can’t take it with you can you?

(11-04-2023, 10:44 AM)exgaffer Wrote:
(11-04-2023, 08:34 AM)mikey393 Wrote: Totally agree with you there. We could have had Warnock  o.k. until the end of the season but pretty confident we would have made the play offs.. Both him & Woy have a winning mentality. JM is one for the future. I listened to the 1st half & fell asleep so boring. We missed Jacobs yesterday as we had No creativity except for Lowery. Why cant Piggot start with Bishop. JM doesn't trust him it seems. RH needs a decent budget for next season but quality over quantity needed.PUP!

I’m just saying that he is not short of a few bob and is really only managing as a hobby. When you get to his age money isn’t everything, obviously you need some but you can’t take it with you can you?

As daft as your comment. We couldn’t have afforded him.

I suppose Arry is doing Bet Victor ads as a hobby?

(11-04-2023, 10:50 AM)Pompeyg100 Wrote:
(11-04-2023, 10:44 AM)exgaffer Wrote:
(11-04-2023, 08:37 AM)Pompeyg100 Wrote: Lol Warnock is managing in the Champ on at least double the wages we can pay for a manager. What happens at the end of the season and we wouldn’t have a manager?

As daft as your comment. We couldn’t have afforded him.

I suppose Arry is doing Bet Victor ads as a hobby?

Of course we could have afforded him and it would have been a great investment.

RE: New Low - bluetagagain - 11-04-2023

Every game this season Ipswich have started with at least 3 goalscorers