TrueBlueArmy Forums
Marlon Pack - Printable Version

+- TrueBlueArmy Forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com)
+-- Forum: TBA forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Play Up Pompey (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: Marlon Pack (/showthread.php?tid=2986)

Pages: 1 2

Marlon Pack - Daniel - 16-04-2023

He clearly doesn’t have the leg’s anymore to play in midfield especially if we are going to play a 433. Id like to see him tried out at centre back. 

When building the squad next season (with out be arrogant we should be beating 3/4’s of this division) in possession he would just bring the ball out kind of like he currently does that would then leave multiple out let’s with the midfield 3 in front plus a longer ball in the channels

RE: Marlon Pack - West Australian Portsmouth Fan - 16-04-2023

Or we just sell Pack

RE: Marlon Pack - farq2 - 16-04-2023

(16-04-2023, 05:10 AM)Santa release Claus Wrote: Good idea. Maybe stick Rafferty up front too and give Paddy Lane a crack in goal.
pmsl

RE: Marlon Pack - Hammie - 16-04-2023

Play him as the one and only sitting mid. If we must put someone next to him make it a trainee type with young legs who can do his running for him. Then give him some input into the set up of the team and use his nous. I can still see Merson (who was no great runner by then either) shouting at everyone "to get the ball and keep it" every time we scored.
Mot of all make him pass long to the wings and hurl abuse at the wingers if they are not ready and running for such a ball from him or whichever centre back does the same (Robertson at present)

RE: Marlon Pack - DeepBlue - 16-04-2023

(16-04-2023, 05:06 AM)Daniel Wrote: He clearly doesn’t have the leg’s anymore to play in midfield especially if we are going to play a 433. Id like to see him tried out at centre back. 

When building the squad next season (with out be arrogant we should be beating 3/4’s of this division) in possession he would just bring the ball out kind of like he currently does that would then leave multiple out let’s with the midfield 3 in front plus a longer ball in the channels

When you've got one of  the best defensive midfielders in the league why would you want to move him to a position he has never played ? 

He's never been pacy, and I wouldn't say there is anything to say he hasn't got the legs any more. He has the same 'legs' he has always had as far as I can see ... players in that position don't need the same running ability as a box to box midfielder. 

The only change I would make is to make him captain. He issues all the orders anyway and organises the team already - he is a natural leader.

RE: Marlon Pack - Pompeyg100 - 16-04-2023

He could have been playing in the championship this season couldn’t he?

RE: Marlon Pack - Daniel - 12-07-2023

I didn’t go to the match last night but reading a few bits on Twitter really sounded like he had a mare!?

But sounded like Stevenson had a decent game in the same position.

Now I know it’s only preseason but I’m just not sure he’s a midfielder for a promotion winning team at the moment. He needs to be more disciplined and sit more so he doesn’t knacker him self out. Because that’s when he lunges and gets silly cards!!

RE: Marlon Pack - Hammie - 12-07-2023

At least it looks like we are building a squad where every player has to be at it or risk losing his place.

RE: Marlon Pack - Daniel - 06-08-2023

Il say it again he doesn’t have the legs

RE: Marlon Pack - Northstander - 06-08-2023

Gets caught in possession too often for me, not just him but I do wonder if we practice passing the ball during training

RE: Marlon Pack - DeepBlue - 06-08-2023

(06-08-2023, 08:00 AM)Daniel Wrote: Il say it again he doesn’t have the legs

He never had legs like that, even when he was here as a kid. His game was always about strolling and enforcing, so its inevitable that he will get lazy criticism for 'lack of legs' when he has a bad game. 

And he had a bad game yesterday, hopefully just because he was being asked to play without anyone alongside him in the first half, I thought he loooked happier when Morrell dropped deeper in the second. He needs a 'runner' alongside him to get the best out of him.

If we had taken even our easier chances yesterday we would have won 4 or 5-1 and no-one would be picking holes in the performance.

RE: Marlon Pack - bluetagagain - 06-08-2023

We must have watched a different game Deep, I can’t remember us having 4 or 5 chances , just a lot of over hit corners

(06-08-2023, 09:10 AM)bluetagagain Wrote: We must have watched a different game Deep, I can’t remember us having 4 or 5 chances , just a lot of over hit corners

Ogilve hit the post
Not sure who it was but someone had a free header from a cross in the 6yard box
Kamara had a chance at the death and had a header
Colby had a great chance in the first half defender blocked his shot in the 6 yard box
Whyte narrowly missed to the left of the post in the 1st half and their keeper made a great save in the 2nd half from a Whyte shot

RE: Marlon Pack - exterminator - 06-08-2023

Scully had a good chance but pulled it wide, as did Bishop whose shot was deflected over the bar in the 1st half. In the second half Ogilvie hit the post & Whyte's screamer was tipped over by the goalie.

So there are 4 that could have gone in.

Pack wasn't at his best, but playing the two midgets together is never going to work, it is either one or the other plus Stevenson or Devlin at the moment.

Bishop was OK 1st half but got tired & ineffective. I would have liked to have seen Saydee & Kusini up front together for the last 30 mins.

RE: Marlon Pack - slayer - 06-08-2023

Can't be doing with strollers needing others to do their running for him. Who does he think he is, Paul Merson? Haven't forgotten his pointing at the goalie last year attributing blame for his howler and Reeco rightly telling him some home truths. Never a captain, awful performance, drop him for it like we would any other player who would turn that sort of showing in.

(06-08-2023, 09:27 AM)Daniel Wrote:
(06-08-2023, 09:10 AM)bluetagagain Wrote: We must have watched a different game Deep, I can’t remember us having 4 or 5 chances , just a lot of over hit corners

Ogilve hit the post
Not sure who it was but someone had a free header from a cross in the 6yard box
Kamara had a chance at the death and had a header
Colby had a great chance in the first half defender blocked his shot in the 6 yard box
Whyte narrowly missed to the left of the post in the 1st half and their keeper made a great save in the 2nd half from a Whyte shot

As well as the one Bishop had blocked from 2 yds out in the first, there was also the one when Lowery split  the defence and set him up and he 'feathered' it wide rather than hitting it.   And after we equalised he missed another right at the end when he (and others) failed to make contact with a cross along the ground in front of goal.  Those misses apart he had quite a good game though.

The free header miss was Scully I think. 

So Bishop x3, Whyte x2 plus Scully makes six very decent chances, to which you can add Ogilvie's post hit. 

We had 20 shots in the game, 5 or six very good chances  & 10 corners. People complaining about a lack of creativity are complaining about what they expected to see, not what they actually saw.

RE: Marlon Pack - Pompeyg100 - 06-08-2023

You’ve got a bad memory then!

Morrel also had space in the box but instead of shooting ran in to trouble then floated a cross in when he shot of put his laces through it.

Pack and Morrell in a 2 would work but Stevenson and Morrell
Would be better.

(06-08-2023, 10:50 AM)Daniel Wrote: Morrel also had space in the box but instead of shooting ran in to trouble then floated a cross in when he shot of put his laces through it.

Pack and Morrell in a 2 would work but Stevenson and Morrell
Would be better.

Maybe. 

But we know Pack at his best, like he was at the start of last season, is a class above this division. Worth giving him a bit of time to get back to that form istead of wriitng him off.

RE: Marlon Pack - Pompeyg100 - 06-08-2023

This isn’t the midfield he wants to play, we know there is a signing coming, just wasn’t in for first game.

(06-08-2023, 09:48 AM)slayer Wrote: Can't be doing with strollers needing others to do their running for him. Who does he think he is, Paul Merson? Haven't forgotten his pointing at the goalie last year attributing blame for his howler and Reeco rightly telling him some home truths. Never a captain, awful performance, drop him for it like we would any other player who would turn that sort of showing in.

At the beginning of last season Paul Merson would have been a good comparision, albeit in a different position and at a lower league level but the same class above those around him.

And I think he is a good captain because he demands a high standard of performance from those around him, and is not afraid to criticise others even when his own form is not good which is far better than someone who keeps his mouth shut if he is having a poor game.

RE: Marlon Pack - bluetagagain - 06-08-2023

“We had 20 shots in the game, 5 or six very good chances & 10 corners. People complaining about a lack of creativity are complaining about what they expected to see, not what they actually saw.”

Comparing shots to creativity is comparing apples and oranges. There was very little creativity, especially from midfield and only 2 or 3 decent crosses the whole game. Sending high far post corners to the 5.9 Scully didn’t work. As for chances on goal , out of all the ones you mentioned not very many were clear goal scoring chances. Almost getting to a cross or on the end of a pass is still not getting there, just like almost scoring a goal isn’t a goal .

RE: Marlon Pack - briefcase_wanchor - 06-08-2023

From all the EFL matches yesterday only 3 teams had more shots than we did.

Agreed, that does not mean we are necessarily a dynamic team but it shows a good base - imagine what we could do with the missing creative midfielder.

On the Pack front, he showed no interest in tracking back with Brown for their goal. More lazy than lack of pace.

(06-08-2023, 02:02 PM)briefcase_wanchor Wrote: From all the EFL matches yesterday only 3 teams had more shots than we did.

Agreed, that does not mean we are necessarily a dynamic team but it shows a good base - imagine what we could do with the missing creative midfielder.

On the Pack front, he showed no interest in tracking back with Brown for their goal. More lazy than lack of pace.

To be fair Whyte lost the ball In a dangerous position and should have taken him down and took the card. You could see it happening as soon is he got robbed of the ball.

(06-08-2023, 01:36 PM)bluetagagain Wrote: “We had 20 shots in the game, 5 or six very good chances  & 10 corners. People complaining about a lack of creativity are complaining about what they expected to see, not what they actually saw.”

Comparing shots to creativity is comparing apples and oranges. There was very little creativity, especially from midfield and only 2 or 3 decent crosses the whole game. Sending high far post corners to the 5.9  Scully didn’t work. As for chances on goal , out of all the ones you mentioned not very many were clear goal scoring chances. Almost getting to a cross or on the end of a pass is still not getting there, just like almost scoring a goal isn’t a goal .

Creativity is surely creating opportunities to shoot at goal ? What else is your definition ?  And this thread has already listed the 5 or 6 that were clear goal scoring chances. 

Yes, we could have taken better corners (though they were't all bad) and that would maybe have created even more chances.