TrueBlueArmy Forums
A sense of hope - Printable Version

+- TrueBlueArmy Forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com)
+-- Forum: TBA forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Play Up Pompey (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: A sense of hope (/showthread.php?tid=3000)

A sense of hope - slayer - 20-04-2023

There isn't one going into next year is there.

Even in the old days when we were staying up on the last day of the season, the following year there was hope.

There is apathy now.

RE: A sense of hope - Hammie - 20-04-2023

Needs a few key signings.
We've seen the difference that spending half a million makes for our main striker.
Most close seasons used to see a big signing to sell STs could do with a few this summer really. Especially if we put prices up which seems likely.

RE: A sense of hope - firqdays - 20-04-2023

It will be a strange one on Saturday, and will need a sea change to lift the crowd now.

(20-04-2023, 12:07 PM)firqdays Wrote: It will be a strange one on Saturday, and will need a sea change to lift the crowd now.

Again, in the old days, it would have been the blooding of some youth players that made it interesting. 
But we've already had that scotched by the loan deals to non league. 

I hate mid table seasons, fortunately we've hardly ever had any! A relegation fight is far more fun!

RE: A sense of hope - Pedalo_menders - 20-04-2023

I'm just not convinced we have the right manager who can take us up; that's the toughest part. When the cowley's joined, there was some hope but I think Mousinho is a non starter.

Hard to get excited about signings when you don't have faith in the managers abilities.

Hopefully Hughes signs a world class squad for tuppence then Mouse has to Christmas to do something exciting with them.
Sadly my memory of Pompey managers tells me that young first timers never succeed here.

RE: A sense of hope - Pompeyg100 - 20-04-2023

Blimey this season hasn’t even finished yet. Let’s see who we sign before writing off next season.

One thing is for sure, we won’t be spunking the transfer budget on loans. I’m confident they will actually build a squad in the summer.

RE: A sense of hope - foxleyblue - 20-04-2023

(20-04-2023, 12:12 PM)Pedalo_menders Wrote: Hard to get excited about signings when you don't have faith in the managers abilities.

wasn't that what Man U fans said about Fergy when he first joined?

RE: A sense of hope - Slagger - 20-04-2023

It will be interesting to see how the demand for season tickets pans out. A statement of intent from the Eisners would be welcome but at the same time we don’t want to push up the prices of transfer targets by showing our hand.

RE: A sense of hope - Kingo - 20-04-2023

(20-04-2023, 03:27 PM)foxleyblue Wrote:
(20-04-2023, 12:12 PM)Pedalo_menders Wrote: Hard to get excited about signings when you don't have faith in the managers abilities.

Don't think so.

RE: A sense of hope - Rocketman - 20-04-2023

(20-04-2023, 03:27 PM)foxleyblue Wrote: Pedalo_menders

Hard to get excited about signings when you don't have faith in the managers abilities.
Yes that's exactly what they said, and according to something on the radio last year he was one game away from the sack. I think he won the next game which was a cup match, and tge rest is history

(20-04-2023, 05:51 PM)Rocketman Wrote:

Yes that's exactly what they said, and according to something on the radio last year he was one game away from the sack. I think he won the next game which was a cup match, and tge rest is history

indeed he was
but as you say....

RE: A sense of hope - Northstander - 21-04-2023

Yes a Mark Robins goal knocked Forest out of the FA Cup (3rd Round) and as you say the rest is history.

RE: A sense of hope - foxleyblue - 21-04-2023

(21-04-2023, 09:18 AM)Northstander Wrote:

Yes a Mark Robins goal knocked Forest out of the FA Cup (3rd Round) and as you say the rest is history.

Perhaps we'll be saying that about JM in the future Big Grin

RE: A sense of hope - Kingo - 21-04-2023

No. Ferguson's only got abuse on the strength of his early results. But he had the experience of having managed Aberdeen behind him. We have no reason to expect JM to emulate him. He might, but he probably won't.

RE: A sense of hope - blueandwight - 22-04-2023

(21-04-2023, 09:29 PM)Kingo Wrote: No. Ferguson's only got abuse on the strength of his early results. But he had the experience of having managed Aberdeen behind him. We have no reason to expect JM to emulate him. He might, but he probably won't.

Having managed Aberdeen very successfully is worth pointing out.

RE: A sense of hope - blueandwight - 22-04-2023

The Mouseman has done enough in the last month or so to prove that he isn't the man to take us to the promised land of the Champoinship.
He's marginally better than Cowley but let's be fair that was a pretty low bar!
He had  a sort of honeymoon period...more like a grope in a carpark... and his highlight was the last thirty minutes or so against Bolton. Since then the football has been absolutely dire with this silly 'tippy tappy' possession based approach that is way beyond our bunch. The other night even Andrew Moon spotted that 'relegation threatened one win in fifteen' Oxford were targetting Raggett in possession because even they recognised that with the ball at his feet he is an absolute liability.
Over sixteen games his record on paper doesn't look too bad if you're happy with scrappy 1-0 wins and, more often than not, draws against sides in the bottom half of the table. He's not the man for me.
Good luck today to the Yanks at Wrexham...different from others across the pond they seem to have grasped the nettle and made a decent personal commitment to ensure success and the rejuvenation of an area of North Wales.

RE: A sense of hope - exgaffer - 22-04-2023

(22-04-2023, 08:14 AM)blueandwight Wrote: The Mouseman has done enough in the last month or so to prove that he isn't the man to take us to the promised land of the Champoinship.
He's marginally better than Cowley but let's be fair that was a pretty low bar!
He had  a sort of honeymoon period...more like a grope in a carpark... and his highlight was the last thirty minutes or so against Bolton. Since then the football has been absolutely dire with this silly 'tippy tappy' possession based approach that is way beyond our bunch. The other night even Andrew Moon spotted that 'relegation threatened one win in fifteen' Oxford were targetting Raggett in possession because even they recognised that with the ball at his feet he is an absolute liability.
Over sixteen games his record on paper doesn't look too bad if you're happy with scrappy 1-0 wins and, more often than not, draws against sides in the bottom half of the table. He's not the man for me.
Good luck today to the Yanks at Wrexham...different from others across the pond they seem to have grasped the nettle and made a decent personal commitment to ensure success and the rejuvenation of an area of North Wales.

This tippy tappy from the back seems to be infecting everyone, I see Brizzle Rovers were trying it against Sheffield Wednesday, with the inevitable results.

Time to get back to proper football ffs.