TrueBlueArmy Forums
New defender in - Printable Version

+- TrueBlueArmy Forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com)
+-- Forum: TBA forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Play Up Pompey (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: New defender in (/showthread.php?tid=3099)

New defender in - Robsquad - 13-06-2023

Connor Shaughnessy from Burton 2 year deal

Free agent

RE: New defender in - BilltheCat - 13-06-2023

Centre back. 26 years old.

Irish, perhaps?????

RE: New defender in - Cressers - 13-06-2023

So who's leaving to make way for him?

RE: New defender in - Lawrence - 13-06-2023

(13-06-2023, 05:29 PM)Robsquad Wrote: Connor Shaughnessy from Burton 2 year deal

Free agent

Bit of punt this one. I hope its not a sign that we've lost out on Bernard.

RE: New defender in - Pedalo_menders - 13-06-2023

Here's an interesting stat: Burton had the 2nd worst defence in the league last year. Only Forest green rovers let more into the onion bag.

RE: New defender in - bluetagagain - 13-06-2023

Is this 'listed' anywhere? or is it on twatter?

we ideally need 4 CB's so hopefully D'Shon, plus Raggs,Towler and this guy?

RE: New defender in - mikey393 - 13-06-2023

Started at Leeds: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conor_Shaughnessy

Slightly underwhelming but hopefully a back up player to be used in Cup matches.

RE: New defender in - slayer - 13-06-2023

Andrew Moon

https://twitter.com/mrandrewmoon/status/1668670373175472129

So well sourced

The news have picked up on it now, too. 

At the very least it shuts us up and gives us something to chew on whilst we wait for the 'big' signings to happen

RE: New defender in - mike hunt - 13-06-2023

With the greatest of respect pedalo, I dont see any 'Big' signings coming our way , hope I'm wrong but the mood music isn't
sounding that upbeat.

RE: New defender in - Hammie - 13-06-2023

Seems a similar response to the young defender we signed in January
What do we know?

RE: New defender in - dsmg - 13-06-2023

(13-06-2023, 05:44 PM)Santa release Claus Wrote: That'll shift the season tickets

Don’t need to. 10,000 already. Pompey, innit

As Deep said on another post. We wont be getting big signings, we're in L1 FFS. Hughes' record up to now has been steady both here and at FGR so why should it change? D'Shon (who I hope we sign), is hardly a big name,just because he's at Man U doesn't mean anything.

Scott McGarvey being a perfect example of utter shite from a big club.

Yes, totally agree. Sorry, to clarify I mean 'big' as in the signings that will have the biggest impact on our season. I used quotes as i appreciate we wont be spending big.

The positions/profile of players i would consider 'big' would be:
Who is going to partner Towler?
New GK
The 2 strikers we need to sign
Replacement for Jacobs and Curtis

RE: New defender in - blueandwight - 13-06-2023

(13-06-2023, 08:43 PM)mike hunt Wrote: With the greatest of respect pedalo, I dont see any 'Big' signings coming our way , hope I'm wrong but the mood music isn't
sounding that upbeat.

I think that's right.
I don't give a toss what we are told and/or promised.
At this moment in time rumours are rumours mostly set running by clubs, agents and mischiveous twats who revel in social media.
The interesting thing about us is that club are always quick to deny any interest especially if other clubs are mentioned. That would imply a bidding scenario in terms of a fee and/or wages...a completely alien concept to our owners.

(13-06-2023, 06:18 PM)mikey393 Wrote: Started at Leeds: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conor_Shaughnessy

Slightly underwhelming but hopefully a back up player to be used in Cup matches.

I think you had better get used to be underwhelmed

(13-06-2023, 05:56 PM)bluetagagain Wrote: we ideally need 4 CB's so hopefully D'Shon, plus Raggs,Towler and this guy?

We're a big club that is supposed to have ambition for the coming season...four centre-backs should be an absolute minimum requirement.
My bet is that as soon as another club(s) come in for D'Shon we'll drop out of the picture.

RE: New defender in - Pompeyg100 - 13-06-2023

(13-06-2023, 10:39 PM)blueandwight Wrote:
(13-06-2023, 05:56 PM)bluetagagain Wrote: we ideally need 4 CB's so hopefully D'Shon, plus Raggs,Towler and this guy?

We're a big club that is supposed to have ambition for the coming season...four centre-backs should be an absolute minimum requirement.
My bet is that as soon as another club(s) come in for D'Shon we'll drop out of the picture.

Depends on who those clubs are really doesn’t it.

RE: New defender in - bluetagagain - 14-06-2023

Thankfully I don’t share your pessimism Blueandwight.
BTW we also have Ogilvie who is accomplished at CB and I can’t ever remember us having to play 5 different CB’s in a season

RE: New defender in - firqdays - 14-06-2023

Four Centre backs - inc a player who moves up to midfield as necessary - seems sensible in a long season.

And, as I see it, we do not want a 'superstar' arrival, we are not in the position to cater for EGO's, we need to build a winning TEAM.

RE: New defender in - DeepBlue - 14-06-2023

(14-06-2023, 07:58 AM)bluetagagain Wrote: Thankfully I don’t share your pessimism Blueandwight.
BTW we also have Ogilvie who is accomplished at CB and I can’t ever remember us having to play 5 different CB’s in a season

We've got Haji Mnoga too ... reports from Aldershot indicate he might be ready to step up.

RE: New defender in - blueandwight - 14-06-2023

(14-06-2023, 07:58 AM)bluetagagain Wrote: Thankfully I don’t share your pessimism Blueandwight.

I understand your point.
Until a couple of years ago you'd be right...I am a pessimist, but now after seven years of Tornante I consider myself to be a realist.
I'm desperate to be proved wrong.

RE: New defender in - Daniel - 14-06-2023

Plays in midfield as well so more cover across the pitch

RE: New defender in - bluetagagain - 14-06-2023

(14-06-2023, 08:36 AM)blueandwight Wrote:

I understand your point.
Until a couple of years ago you'd be right...I am a pessimist, but now after seven years of Tornante I consider myself to be a realist.
I'm desperate to be proved wrong.

In 7 years FP has been transformed and debt free. Two very good reasons to be optimistic. Granted it’s been disappointing performance wise but I think managerial appointments and some of their ( managers) bewildering tactics and loanees have proved the problem and not Torante. However we currently have the basis of a very good L1 side.