TrueBlueArmy Forums
First summer of genuine excitement since the Cook era - Printable Version

+- TrueBlueArmy Forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com)
+-- Forum: TBA forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Play Up Pompey (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: First summer of genuine excitement since the Cook era (/showthread.php?tid=3108)

Pages: 1 2

First summer of genuine excitement since the Cook era - slayer - 14-06-2023

Whirlwind day 1. What a mood lifter. Yes Pompey!

RE: First summer of genuine excitement since the Cook era - Pompeyg100 - 14-06-2023

Couldn’t agree more, can’t remember the last time we signed 2 on the first day.

Danny would still be scratching his arse for another few weeks.

RE: First summer of genuine excitement since the Cook era - BilltheCat - 14-06-2023

Is it not three?

Shaughnessy, Norris and Saydee.

RE: First summer of genuine excitement since the Cook era - Pompeyg100 - 14-06-2023

(14-06-2023, 09:37 PM)BilltheCat Wrote: Is it not three?

Shaughnessy, Norris and Saydee.

I’m so used to Danny ‘leave it late’ Cowley transfer windows I can’t keep up!

RE: First summer of genuine excitement since the Cook era - dsmg - 14-06-2023

Your hate for Cowley is not healthy

I’d suggest you’re not healthy if you don’t hate the useless coont.

Is he still out of work?

RE: First summer of genuine excitement since the Cook era - blueandwight - 14-06-2023

Nothing to get too excited boys. We've let a lot of reasonably competent players leave and, at the very least, we need to replace them on a one for one basis.

RE: First summer of genuine excitement since the Cook era - Lawrence - 15-06-2023

(14-06-2023, 08:44 PM)slayer Wrote: Whirlwind day 1. What a mood lifter. Yes Pompey!

Not being negative, but I don't consider two free transfers and an undisclosed signing to be "whirlwind". It's good that we are building early for a change but, apart from the goalkeeper, the players that we've bought so far are clearly fillers and unproven at bigger clubs. I hope they succeed. I won't be happy until Messi tells Beckham to feck off and begs Pompey to let him play....

RE: First summer of genuine excitement since the Cook era - Pompeyg100 - 15-06-2023

(15-06-2023, 08:00 AM)Lawrence Wrote:
(14-06-2023, 08:44 PM)slayer Wrote: Whirlwind day 1. What a mood lifter. Yes Pompey!

Not being negative, but I don't consider two free transfers and an undisclosed signing to be "whirlwind". It's good that we are building early for a change but, apart from the goalkeeper, the players that we've bought so far are clearly fillers and unproven at bigger clubs. I hope they succeed. I won't be happy until Messi tells Beckham to feck off and begs Pompey to let him play....

3 in and 1 out on the opening day of the window is definitely whirlwind.

Quick question, have you seen any communication regarding the transfer policy either directly from the club or indirectly on here or social media?

RE: First summer of genuine excitement since the Cook era - slayer - 15-06-2023

Can't please some people

RE: First summer of genuine excitement since the Cook era - DeepBlue - 15-06-2023

(14-06-2023, 09:33 PM)Pompeyg100 Wrote: Couldn’t agree more, can’t remember the last time we signed 2 on the first day.

I fail to see why the speed of the signings is that important.  What is important is that they are better then the players they are replacing so we need ..

Norris to be better then Macey  (verdict : possibly, but about the same on paper except we knew Macey fitted in)

Shaughnessy to be better than Robertson (verdict : unlikely, but at least he will be hopefully be more available ) 

Saydee to be better than Reeco (verdict : based on his Havant appearance not in a million years) 

Devlin to be better than Tunnicliffe or Thompson (verdict : not yet, but probably better potential). 

It's easy to get excited when we sign players but is the squad better than last year's ? Not yet, but there are plenty more signings to come.

RE: First summer of genuine excitement since the Cook era - bluebollox - 15-06-2023

(15-06-2023, 09:45 AM)DeepBlue Wrote:
(14-06-2023, 09:33 PM)Pompeyg100 Wrote: Couldn’t agree more, can’t remember the last time we signed 2 on the first day.

I fail to see why the speed of the signings is that important.  What is important is that they are better then the players they are replacing so we need ..

Norris to be better then Macey  (verdict : possibly, but about the same on paper except we knew Macey fitted in)

Shaughnessy to be better than Robertson (verdict : unlikely, but at least he will be hopefully be more available ) 

Saydee to be better than Reeco (verdict : based on his Havant appearance not in a million years) 

Devlin to be better than Tunnicliffe or Thompson (verdict : not yet, but probably better potential). 

It's easy to get excited when we sign players but is the squad better than last year's ? Not yet, but there are plenty more signings to come.

Personally I think it's a given Shaugnessy is better than Robertson who was very poor imo. Same goes for Tunni, Devlin comes with a decent reputation with championship clubs after him. 
Not sure about Saydee, never saw him @ Havant but Shrews fans seem to think he was decent. Keeper had a mare 2nd leg play off game. Hopefully that was a one off. Jamo had a few mares over the years but still was an amazing keeper.

RE: First summer of genuine excitement since the Cook era - Daniel - 15-06-2023

(15-06-2023, 10:16 AM)bluebollox Wrote:

Personally I think it's a given Shaugnessy is better than Robertson who was very poor imo. Same goes for Tunni, Devlin comes with a decent reputation with championship clubs after him. 
Not sure about Saydee, never saw him @ Havant but Shrews fans seem to think he was decent. Keeper had a mare 2nd leg play off game. Hopefully that was a one off. Jamo had a few mares over the years but still was an amazing keeper.

It’s hard to be a keeper when the other 10 players also have a mare!

RE: First summer of genuine excitement since the Cook era - mike hunt - 15-06-2023

For me, signing players this early in the TW is the way to go,not wait until the end and be hijacked on price

RE: First summer of genuine excitement since the Cook era - Pompeyg100 - 15-06-2023

It’s important DB so that the team can have a preseason together and you’re not scratching around for players at the end of the transfer window. You can’t really plan for the season ahead when you don’t know what players you’ll have.

Stop judging a player on 1 preseason friendly trial game playing for a failed manager in a failed team. It’s just making you look stupid.

RE: First summer of genuine excitement since the Cook era - Pedalo_menders - 15-06-2023

It is important to try and get players in early because you want them to gel in pre season. Not a month after the season has started. 

That being said, I've only heard of Norris out of our signings. But I'm not a football encyclopedia. We definitely seem more organised behind the scenes this year, which is encouraging.

So we should expect about 6 more faces in, and you'd expect these signings to be slightly better known.

I don’t really care how well known they are, I’m more concerned with their ability on the pitch.

The rest I completely agree with.

RE: First summer of genuine excitement since the Cook era - DeepBlue - 15-06-2023

(15-06-2023, 11:29 AM)Pompeyg100 Wrote:

It’s important DB so that the team can have a preseason together and you’re not scratching around for players at the end of the transfer window. You can’t really plan for the season ahead when you don’t know what players you’ll have.

Stop judging a player on 1 preseason friendly trial game playing for a failed manager in a failed team. It’s just making you look stupid.

Absolutely agree on the pre-season bit ... I meant signing lots on day one is no better than signing lots in the first couple of weeks of the window before training starts.  

But it's all a balance - what is also important is to have some spaces left in the squad for the good players that do not become available until much later in the window after the premiership clubs work out who they are releasing and the trickle down effect that has on availability down the leagues.  Some of our best summer signings have come in late July & August.

(15-06-2023, 12:51 PM)DeepBlue Wrote:
(15-06-2023, 11:29 AM)Pompeyg100 Wrote:

Absolutely agree on the pre-season bit ... I meant signing lots on day one is no better than signing lots in the first couple of weeks of the window before training starts.  

But it's all a balance - what is also important is to have some spaces left in the squad for the good players that do not become available until much later in the window after the premiership clubs work out who they are releasing and the trickle down effect that has on availability down the leagues.  Some of our best summer signings have come in late July & August.

First day, first few weeks no problem although does show we have our shit together.

The issue was under the idiot managing us previously that we were starting preseason with half a team or less. We’ve now identified targets and gone out and got them.  They’ll be others that come later and that’s fine but starting preseason without the core of the team is an issue.

RE: First summer of genuine excitement since the Cook era - Tomsk - 15-06-2023

(14-06-2023, 10:45 PM)Pompeyg100 Wrote: I’d suggest you’re not healthy if you don’t hate the useless coont.

Is he still out of work?

No, I saw him driving a DPD van in Falmouth yesterday, it was definitely him.

(15-06-2023, 07:20 PM)Tomsk Wrote:
(14-06-2023, 10:45 PM)Pompeyg100 Wrote: I’d suggest you’re not healthy if you don’t hate the useless coont.

Is he still out of work?

Was Nicky in the back with the iPad? Nicky doesn’t work for DPD, he just does it to get out of the house and Danny pays him in cola cubes.

RE: First summer of genuine excitement since the Cook era - dsmg - 15-06-2023

I reckon he shagged your missus

RE: First summer of genuine excitement since the Cook era - Tomsk - 15-06-2023

(15-06-2023, 08:09 PM)Pompeyg100 Wrote:

Is he still out of work?

Was Nicky in the back with the iPad? Nicky doesn’t work for DPD, he just does it to get out of the house and Danny pays him in cola cubes.

Btw if it had've been him in Falmouth yesterday I would have shaken his hand, and Nicky's ftm, and wished them both well, decent chaps who did their best when they were here, why would I hate them(?). 
I might have pinched a couple of their cola cubes when they weren't looking though.

RE: First summer of genuine excitement since the Cook era - slayer - 15-06-2023

Given the proposition I am sure he would dither, bleet on about the opportunity being a privilege, them lark on about transitions until she had fallen asleep.

RE: First summer of genuine excitement since the Cook era - Pompeyg100 - 16-06-2023

(15-06-2023, 11:04 PM)Tomsk Wrote:
(15-06-2023, 08:09 PM)Pompeyg100 Wrote:

Is he still out of work?

Btw if it had've been him in Falmouth yesterday I would have shaken his hand, and Nicky's ftm, and wished them both well, decent chaps who did their best when they were here, why would I hate them(?). 
I might have pinched a couple of their cola cubes when they weren't looking though.

Not knowing him I can’t really comment on if he is decent or not but from a footballing perspective he’s a fucking awful manager, full of excuses and favored spunking cash on useless expensive loans instead of doing what he should have been doing which is building a team.  He didn’t come across as genuine to me and should he ever get another job in management will be repeating the same old tripe about the fans and what they deserve.

Of course I don’t hate him, I’m only playing with that.