TrueBlueArmy Forums
Marlon Pack - Printable Version

+- TrueBlueArmy Forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com)
+-- Forum: TBA forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Play Up Pompey (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: Marlon Pack (/showthread.php?tid=3115)

Marlon Pack - Daniel - 17-06-2023

If we can bring in an attacking midfielder like Tommy Leigh does pack start for you?

When pack was suspended I thought Morrell played the deeper role really well and gives us more legs in the middle.

Pack is class but needs others to do his running for him which stops others being able to concentrate on their own role.

RE: Marlon Pack - bluetagagain - 17-06-2023

Why would an attacking midfielder impact on Pack. He doesn’t play in that role. An attacking midfielder is generally a number 10. The 2 midfielders in 4231 are generally a selection of ball winners/ box to box or playmakers.

RE: Marlon Pack - dsmg - 17-06-2023

Pack tackles, can see a pass, can head as he’s quite tall and scores goals. For me, yes, keep him in the team

RE: Marlon Pack - DeepBlue - 17-06-2023

Pack & Morrell are the two in a 4231 every time for me.  If either is missing then Devlin starts.

RE: Marlon Pack - Hammie - 17-06-2023

When Morrell is not going round kicking people, or suspended for the same, or away with Wales.
After their last game, he must be in with more of a chance of starting for them.

RE: Marlon Pack - Theyak2 - 17-06-2023

They start but once Devlin gets in, it's going to be almost impossible to move him.
Personally, and this may gumble a few, sell Morell

RE: Marlon Pack - Hammie - 17-06-2023

(17-06-2023, 07:54 PM)Theyak2 Wrote: They start but once Devlin gets in, it's going to be almost impossible to move him.

I'd sell Morrell for a good offer, which we would probably get. I don' think you can have two micro midfielders in this league

RE: Marlon Pack - Theyak2 - 17-06-2023

Agreed. And Morrell, whi did well, was out for far to long too often
Sometimes, for stupid reasons

RE: Marlon Pack - Cunninglinguist - 18-06-2023

Pack has undoubted ability. Unfortunately, he only showed that for part of the season. He has a frightening lack of pace, which is probably why he is now playing in League one.
I wouldn’t let him anywhere near the captains armband because he cannot be relied on to produce a captains performance.
Great to have in the squad but he’s not an automatic choice for me.

RE: Marlon Pack - Daniel - 18-06-2023

If we play a midfield 3 don’t think he gets in we need 3 mobile midfielders rather than have the other 2 covering for his lack of pace.

Midfield 2 he probably plays.

I wouldn’t be against him moving to centre back

RE: Marlon Pack - Pompeyg100 - 18-06-2023

(18-06-2023, 05:58 AM)Cunninglinguist Wrote: Pack has undoubted ability. Unfortunately, he only showed that for part of the season. He has a frightening lack of pace, which is probably why he is now playing in League one.
I wouldn’t let him anywhere near the captains armband because he cannot be relied on to produce a captains performance.
Great to have in the squad but he’s not an automatic choice for me.

Didn’t he turn down a contract to play in the champ though?

Always going to be interest in a talented player. I would say he’s fringe championship quality. Mind, at times, he’s fringe league one quality too.

RE: Marlon Pack - blueandwight - 18-06-2023

(17-06-2023, 09:53 PM)Hammie Wrote:
(17-06-2023, 07:54 PM)Theyak2 Wrote: They start but once Devlin gets in, it's going to be almost impossible to move him.

I'd sell Morrell for a good offer, which we would probably get. I don' think you can have two micro midfielders in this league

Haha...I don't necessarily disagree with you, but I make it three 'micro midfielders'...Morrell, Lowery and Devlin.
Sorry but selling Morrell would be madness.
On the same subject does anybody else possibly see Pack as a defender?

RE: Marlon Pack - Daniel - 18-06-2023

(18-06-2023, 08:21 AM)blueandwight Wrote:

Haha...I don't necessarily disagree with you, but I make it three 'micro midfielders'...Morrell, Lowery and Devlin.

I’d rather sell lowery
Make Morrell captain he will lose his hot head then

RE: Marlon Pack - Hammie - 18-06-2023

I thought a few that we signed for a promotion campaign, became disillusioned under Cowley so we saw them under performing. A result of repeated chopping and changing and a lack of a clear role for each player.
Hopefully under a better organised, simpler set up team, we might see better consistent performances from a few like Pack. and Curtis, if we keep him.

(18-06-2023, 09:42 AM)Hammie Wrote: I thought a few that we signed for a promotion campaign, became disillusioned under Cowley so we saw them under performing. A result of repeated chopping and changing and a lack of a clear role for each player.
Hopefully under a better organised, simpler set up team, we might see better consistent performances from a few like Pack. and Curtis, if we keep him.

100% agree. We need to get back to basics and keep it simple.

RE: Marlon Pack - bluetagagain - 18-06-2023

Why would we sell Morrell? he's a championship player. Pack started well but i think he became disillusioned with Cowley and his tactics. Lowery is also an extremely good midfielder at this level. The only problem (possibly) with our midfield is height.
What we need is (at least one) a decent number 10 ( not Lane) and another winger that can actually cross a ball.
I'm sure come the beginning of the season RH & JM will have everything sorted,especially as it seems we actually have a plan.

a plan so cunning ......

I’m bit confused by the ‘get back to basics’ line. What does that mean?

I thought we were nailed on certs for promotion (or at at least the playoffs) up until the first Ipswich game. I don’t recall us doing anything over complicated. We defended well and scored well. What changed to confuse these players, the poor lambs?

I think once we lost once, we started fiddling with the set up.
Yes we had injuries but we also played Curtis, for instance, all over the pitch in order to make room for a loanee who did not live up to his first three games.
Also constantly fiddled with the defence, the best sides pick their back 4 and play them week in week out, again not helped by signing injury prone players
We signed Hume to play wing back and never played him in that position.

RE: Marlon Pack - mikey393 - 18-06-2023

(18-06-2023, 08:38 AM)Daniel Wrote:
(18-06-2023, 08:21 AM)blueandwight Wrote:

I’d rather sell lowery
Make Morrell captain he will lose his hot head then
I'd suggest it's the other way round. 
Lowery is a far better technical player & doesn't give up .
Morrell is just a Hot Head who gets too many red cards.

RE: Marlon Pack - DeepBlue - 18-06-2023

Morrell has had three red cards since he has been here, and I would say all three were harsh. 

Away to Oxford being the 'most red' because he was a bit high in the tackle but there was nothing hot-headed about it. 

Away to Fleetwood was for two very soft yellows, so again nothing hot-headed. 

Away to MK Dons was a travesty of a decision. He had just been slam-dunked to the ground, a clear foul for which play should have been stopped . A very gentle knee in the back as he stood up was so mild a reaction to such an act of violence that I have nothing but sympathy for him. I think we would have won an appeal on that one, but they decided his reputation went before him.  I suppose the fact that this was a reaction to something that had happened to him puts it potentially in the hot-headed category, but I'd say it was extremely mild in the circumstances rather than hot-headed. 

So I don't think he deserves the hot-headed tag. He is combative, yes, and will always pick up some yellows, but we need that level of bite in our midfield.

RE: Marlon Pack - mikey393 - 18-06-2023

(18-06-2023, 04:53 PM)DeepBlue Wrote: Morrell has had three red cards since he has been here, and I would say all three were harsh. 

Away to Oxford being the 'most red' because he was a bit high in the tackle but there was nothing hot-headed about it. 

Away to MK Dons was a travesty of a decision. He had just been slam-dunked to the ground, a clear foul for which play should have been stopped . A very gentle knee in the back as he stood up was so mild a reaction to such an act of violence that I have nothing but sympathy for him. I think we would have won an appeal on that one, but they decided his reputation went before him.  I suppose the fact that this was a reaction to something that had happened to him puts it potentially in the hot-headed category, but I'd say it was extremely mild in the circumstances rather than hot-headed. 

So I don't think he deserves the hot-headed tag. He is combative, yes, and will always pick up some yellows, but we need that level of bite in our midfield.
No Question he's a good player but all seems to be looking for argument either with an opposition player or more likely the ref.

In the Wycombe game he was inthe ref's ear throughout the game.

If he concentrated on his own game more he could be a very good player.

(18-06-2023, 04:53 PM)DeepBlue Wrote: Morrell has had three red cards since he has been here, and I would say all three were harsh. 

So if he’s not hot headed, what is his reputation that stopped them appealing?

(18-06-2023, 05:53 PM)Pompeyg100 Wrote:

So if he’s not hot headed, what is his reputation that stopped them appealing?
knowing that once you have a yellow card, you should pull in your horns. He could learn that from Curtis for starters.