TrueBlueArmy Forums
Is everyone OK? - Printable Version

+- TrueBlueArmy Forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com)
+-- Forum: TBA forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Play Up Pompey (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: Is everyone OK? (/showthread.php?tid=3116)

Pages: 1 2

Is everyone OK? - blueandwight - 17-06-2023

There's a phrase we've heard recently which could be directed at a large number of Pompey fans who are almost wetting themselves over the fact that we've made five very mediocre signings in the last few days
By the fact that we've let so many players go (contracted and loans) then we've had to make some quick signings to make up the number of bums on seats in the dressing room. That said, I'm suitably impressed by the fact that we seem to have a plan and we've acted quickly.
There seem to be the usual comparisons with Danny Cowley and the fact that he was forced to do much of his business late on in the piece. He got the sack because he couldn't cope with the number of injuries and, in simple terms, he tried to be too clever and we couldn't buy a win. When it came to transfer business he didn't have the support of a DoF or promised increased financial backing from Tornante once he wasted spent £1.5million on Marquis and Harrison.
Speed is one thing but the quality of the players we've brought in is another matter altogether. Nobody has any idea what Mousinho might acheive with these new players but a relatively simple career analysis of the individuals tells me we shouldn't be getting over excited. The simple test is how many of these new arrivals would you have played in our starting eleven at Derby in the last game of the season. My view is none; a couple may have made the bench. Add to that the the prospect of losing Bishop and/or Morrell before the start of the season. Let's hope that Cullen, Hughes and Mousinho have got some pretty exciting if not spectacular deals to reveal in the coming weeks.
I know that this will make me unpopular with some but for goodness sake let's be a bit realistic.

RE: Is everyone OK? - Pompeyg100 - 17-06-2023

I’m happy we go in to preseason using it for what it is, preparing the players for the season not having a look at any old freebie who’s agent has called DC. DC wasn’t forced to do anything late, that’s how he wanted to do it and gave his reasons for it.

Not sure why these players are judged a mediocre or what superstars were expected.

We clearly had a plan and targets and we’ve executed it, not sure we shouldn’t be excited about that after the previous regime.

What you’ve done is say 5 signings in the last few days but the key that you’re failing to mention is that it’s the first 2 days of the transfer window not late July. Every season people are on here moaning when a club sign someone and we still haven’t.

These signings aren’t us scrambling around trying to find someone to fill the plane to Spain, whether you rate them or not they are the targets identified by experienced professionals.

Thankfully the start of the season is months away and plenty of time for more signings but I am fucking delighted we won’t be going to preseason without a striker like last time for example.

We can’t replace Bishop until we know he’s leaving.

RE: Is everyone OK? - Theyak2 - 17-06-2023

We needed a keeper and the debacle in the play offs excepted, he's a good league 1 keeper.
The CB is back up I would hope. He hasn't torn any trees up but the s
Previous club fans thought he always put a 'shift' in.
Saydee is back up to Colby. Shrews fans always thought he did well.
The lad from Glentoran is a wild card. Really well thought of and definitely ability, we will see.
Scully is proven at this level, there is no doubting that. The average age is coming down that's forsure.
There are obviously other signings to come but who else in the league is making statements so far?
I'll remain optimistic.

RE: Is everyone OK? - DeepBlue - 17-06-2023

(17-06-2023, 10:27 AM)blueandwight Wrote: There's a phrase we've heard recently which could be directed at a large number of Pompey fans who are almost wetting themselves over the fact that we've made five very mediocre signings in the last few days
By the fact that we've let so many players go (contracted and loans) then we've had to make some quick signings to make up the number of bums on seats in the dressing room. That said, I'm suitably impressed by the fact that we seem to have a plan and we've acted quickly.
There seem to be the usual comparisons with Danny Cowley and the fact that he was forced to do much of his business late on in the piece. He got the sack because he couldn't cope with the number of injuries and, in simple terms, he tried to be too clever and we couldn't buy a win. When it came to transfer business he didn't have the support of a DoF or promised increased financial backing from Tornante once he wasted spent £1.5million on Marquis and Harrison.
Speed is one thing but the quality of the players we've brought in is another matter altogether. Nobody has any idea what Mousinho might acheive with these new players but a relatively simple career analysis of the individuals tells me we shouldn't be getting over excited. The simple test is how many of these new arrivals would you have played in our starting eleven at Derby in the last game of the season. My view is none; a couple may have made the bench. Add to that the the prospect of losing Bishop and/or Morrell before the start of the season. Let's hope that Cullen, Hughes and Mousinho have got some pretty exciting if not spectacular deals to reveal in the coming weeks.
I know that this will make me unpopular with some but for goodness sake let's be a bit realistic.

I hope your opinion of Cowley is not based too much on the money he wasted on Marquis and Harrison, because they were signed by Jackett nearly two years before Cowley arrived.

RE: Is everyone OK? - Cunninglinguist - 17-06-2023

I suspect that was a we, not a he, that was intended.

RE: Is everyone OK? - Hammie - 17-06-2023

There don't appear to be many bums among the signings so far.
We seem to have improved the wide players already.
Central mid was missing one key kind of player, still to be found.
The defence is not far off what is needed, more so now we have a keeper of our own.

RE: Is everyone OK? - Pedalo_menders - 17-06-2023

I'm very used to us signing mediocre players. I'm glad we've done it in time for pre season this year at least. What a total shambles last year was.

Joking aside, 2 of the 5 in look solid, 1 looks promising and the other 2 look a bit shit (on paper). There's another 5 or 6 players to come in and hopefully we will see the quality improve.

(17-06-2023, 12:02 PM)Pedalo_menders Wrote: I'm very used to us signing mediocre players. I'm glad we've done it in time for pre season this year at least. What a total shambles last year was.

Joking aside, 2 of the 5 in look solid, 1 looks promising and the other 2 look a bit shit (on paper). There's another 5 or 6 players to come in and hopefully we will see the quality improve.

Who looks shit? 

We’ve had a lot of expensive good on paper players mostly on loan and they’ve been shit.

(17-06-2023, 12:02 PM)Pedalo_menders Wrote: I'm very used to us signing mediocre players. I'm glad we've done it in time for pre season this year at least. What a total shambles last year was.

Who's your second shit one ?

RE: Is everyone OK? - bluetagagain - 17-06-2023

I would say that 3 out the 5 are starters and the other 2 squad players ( shaugnessey and Saydee).

RE: Is everyone OK? - Pedalo_menders - 17-06-2023

(17-06-2023, 12:33 PM)DeepBlue Wrote:

The chap from Burton and the striker we rejected last season are the two weaker signings imo

RE: Is everyone OK? - Daniel - 17-06-2023

(17-06-2023, 01:10 PM)Pedalo_menders Wrote:

The chap from Burton and the striker we rejected last season are the two weaker signings imo

Saydee is probably the best we could get when bishop is going to be first choice.

That’s always been the Harry Kane problem at spurs who’s going to come in knowing they won’t start in front of lane.

RE: Is everyone OK? - essentialmix75 - 17-06-2023

All the talk was about the Eisner's increasing the backing this season.... And so far I am yet to see it, with any proven players.... Apart from maybe Anthony Scully, Look at the players we let go who had Championship experience.

Thompson
Tunnicliffe
Jacobs
Freeman
Robertson

And then proven league one players like Piggott

And we have replaced them with unproven talent.... Or players from average league one teams. I want us to go out and get the players other teams don't want to let go, not the ones we seem to be the only team in for.

The striker who want on to score 1 in 3? I wouldn’t base anything on who Danny Cowley rejects or signs.

(17-06-2023, 01:28 PM)essentialmix75 Wrote: All the talk was about the Eisner's increasing the backing this season.... And so far I am yet to see it, with any proven players.... Apart from maybe Anthony Scully, Look at the players we let go who had Championship experience. 

Thompson
Tunnicliffe
Jacobs
Freeman
Robertson

And then proven league one players like Piggott

And we have replaced them with unproven talent.... Or players from average league one teams. I want us to go out and get the players other teams don't want to let go, not the ones we seem to be the only team in for.

And how successful were the players with Championship experience? I must have missed our blistering performance and finishing top of the league.

You know the window has only been open a week right?

How do you know what clubs are in for what players? I’m fascinated by this.

I think Shaughnessy is a decent signing, but agree he won't be first choice if we get Bernard. 

Certainly better than 'shit'.

Shaughnessy- burton offered him a deal. Covers a lot of positions good back up

Devlin - will be a star

Norris- decent league 1 keeper great shot stopper not much between all league 1 keepers

Saydee - great back up to bishop 1 in 3 knowing he won’t be a starter. We won’t get a star striker to play second fiddle to bishop.

Scully - Lincoln days he was unplayable hopefully over his hernia problems.

RE: Is everyone OK? - TBP - 17-06-2023

I'd still like to see two up front.

(17-06-2023, 02:10 PM)TBP Wrote: I'd still like to see two up front.

Depends on the 3 behind Bishop

RE: Is everyone OK? - blueandwight - 17-06-2023

(17-06-2023, 10:27 AM)blueandwight Wrote: There's a phrase we've heard recently which could be directed at a large number of Pompey fans who are almost wetting themselves over the fact that we've made five very mediocre signings in the last few days

Clearly the latest observations are a lot more realistic than the nonsense that was been spouted yesterday.
If you look at whose already left the club including loan players and the five that will have gone within the next fourteen days we find ourselves, yet again, in a similar position to most other clubs in the Leagues One and Two...decidely threadbare and certainly not capable of handling a 46 game league season.
I'm desperately hoping that these new signings are the 'stocking fillers' and not the main prizes that are still hidden behind the tree!!
It's perhaps a little unfair to analyse these arrivals on what you can deduce from the internet and personal recollection if we can remember seeing them playing against us but, once again, we need to be realistic.
In modern football a keeper is a keeper is a keeper as they say and the striker is a tad disappointing (understatement); we may have hit gold with the Irish kid but he is only 18 and time will tell. The other two appear to be solid acquisitions as squad players. Shaughnessy is versatile and quite highly rated having come back from injury in the new year but Scully has to be a bit of a gamble having moved to Wigan in the last window and making just five appearances (just one start, 100 minutes playing time) leading up to a hernia op three months ago. That is why we shouldn't be getting over excited; we've seen it all before and I hope it's not because they are cheap and their personal demands aren't great.
I might begin to look at things a little differently if we bring in Bernard and Leigh, the Accrington lad, in the next couple of weeks, but in my view, that is a big 'if'. By the end of the month, perhaps early July, we'll know if anything has changed.

I honestly couldn’t disagree with you more.

I don’t see how we have seen this before, we clearly have a plan and we clearly had targets. We’ve executed that plan quickly (understatement) and quietly. We’ve spent money, paid fees and have the players we clearly wanted. When have you seen that before?

The players signed fit the transfer policy which has been well communicated.

I struggle to see how anyone can have an issue with the opening week of the transfer window. There really is no pleasing some people.

RE: Is everyone OK? - Theyak2 - 17-06-2023

Different people, different ideas!
I thought that pompey have opened the window well.
What's appealing is the age and forthright diligence we exude.
It's great to see. To be at the top we need more.
Whether we get it remains to be seen but if people still have their doubts, they are allowed.
I'll wait and see.
I'm happy but we need more and anyone who doubts is allowed too. We've been there before.
Not all is spangly and bright bullshit for us to swallow, we can make our own minds up!!

No one has said you aren’t allowed to have doubts you’re the one telling people what they can reply to.

You’re a proper weird fella.

Night Flower x x x

RE: Is everyone OK? - teeftwo - 18-06-2023

I've always been amazed at the focus on the individual rather than the team when summer transfers are discussed.

Surely the point is to craft a squad who's members complinent each other, the building of the whole.

Clearly one area we have struggled with in recent seasons is injuries causing us to field unbalanced sides. From what I can see so far we are going some way to addressing that.

RE: Is everyone OK? - Gerry Hatrick - 18-06-2023

FFS give the club a chance. The window has been open less than a week.
Pack, Lowery and Bishop were all signed later in July or August. 
As Jesus once said, there's no pleasing some people.