TrueBlueArmy Forums
Gary O’Neil - Printable Version

+- TrueBlueArmy Forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com)
+-- Forum: TBA forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Play Up Pompey (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: Gary O’Neil (/showthread.php?tid=3123)

Pages: 1 2

Gary O’Neil - bluetagagain - 19-06-2023

Just been sacked by Bournemouth!!!

RE: Gary O’Neil - slayer - 19-06-2023

Bournemouth had to choose between the right thing and the easy thing.

Credit where it is due, I think they have done the right thing.

RE: Gary O’Neil - Slagger - 19-06-2023

(19-06-2023, 11:54 AM)slayer Wrote: Bournemouth had to choose between the right thing and the easy thing.

Credit where it is due, I think they have done the right thing.

Care to elaborate on this? I don’t see any reason why he shouldn’t continue?

I don't see any reason why he should continue.

He got less points than he should have done, they lost every game in May once they were safe which sends alarm bells.

I don't accept that Gary turned them around. I put it that they went on a little run and had a few cup style results but then reverted to type.

He has no scouting network, improved no players and has not got the experience or blueprint to develop the style of play and the age groups which feed the first team.

Be honest, put the Pompey thing to one side, he has no answer for when they get battered evey week and they are amongst the favourites for relegation next year.

Gary needs to drop a few levels and learn his trade.

The talk is that Bournemouth are about to announce Potter. That's a step up in all the areas described.

RE: Gary O’Neil - Pompeyg100 - 19-06-2023

Managers these days don’t do scouting, certainly not at Prem level, the club have teams of people doing that.

RE: Gary O’Neil - Lawrence - 19-06-2023

(19-06-2023, 12:18 PM)slayer Wrote: I don't see any reason why he should continue.

He got less points than he should have done, they lost every game in May once they were safe which sends alarm bells.

I don't accept that Gary turned them around. I put it that they went on a little run and had a few cup style results but then reverted to type.

He has no scouting network, improved no players and has not got the experience or blueprint to develop the style of play and the age groups which feed the first team.

Be honest, put the Pompey thing to one side, he has no answer for when they get battered evey week and they are amongst the favourites for relegation next year.

The talk is that Bournemouth are about to announce Potter. That's a step up in all the areas described.

Why are we discussing the activities of what is basically the wigan of the South?

RE: Gary O’Neil - DeepBlue - 19-06-2023

(19-06-2023, 12:18 PM)slayer Wrote: I don't see any reason why he should continue.

That  is a a ridiculous re-writing of history. 

He took over a team that had just lost 9-0 and were odds-on favourites for relegation, and they finished 15th, safe with several games to go. That is turning them around by any definition, and his run of 7 wins from 12 games between February and April was quite remarkable and does not deserve being written off as a 'mini-run'. 

And I'd love to know what you are basing your 'scouting networking' comment on ? I doubt very much that Bournemouth's scouting is in any way deficient judging on the success of the signings they make, and I also doubt that it changed with Parker going and O'Neil taking over,, and probably won't change under any new manager either.

Yes, he  was an inexperienced manager for a premiership role but he could hardly have done any better, and I fail to see why Potter is thought of as an upgrade after his disastrous spell at Chelsea, who gained fewer points under Potter with their multi-million squad than O'Neil got at Bournemouth during the same period with his much cheaper Bournemouth squad.

And they will still be one of the favourites for relegation next year whoever takes over, there are a very small club in amongst the big-boys, which makes GON's achievement last year all the more remarkable.

RE: Gary O’Neil - Jezzer - 19-06-2023

Well let's see who they bring in before we decide whether it's a bad thing.
Remember when the scum got rid of Adkins and brought in the "unknown" Pochettino. The move was slated at the time but was a good example of the forward planning so often absent at football clubs.  Fortunately, Pochettino soon realized what a shithole he'd ended up in and upped sticks pronto.

RE: Gary O’Neil - Kingo - 19-06-2023

And don't forget Parker left because he felt there was no way to get the results with their squad to keep them up. GON achieved comfortably what the experienced Parker said was impossible.theey must be mad.

RE: Gary O’Neil - bluetagagain - 19-06-2023

They’ve just appointed Andoni Iraola TWO hours after sacking O’Neil. A bit insensitive to GON in the timescale IMO.

RE: Gary O’Neil - exterminator - 19-06-2023

Very harsh - they only gave him an 18 month deal last November & in that time picked up 36 points which was more than the relegated teams had done in a whole season.

To replace him with someone with little or no PL experience and who most of us have never heard of is laughable - hope that they get their just rewards come season end.

Bournemouth, Luton & Sheff Utd or Notts Forest for relegation.........

RE: Gary O’Neil - TBP - 19-06-2023

Good, not just me that's never heard of him.

RE: Gary O’Neil - Cunninglinguist - 19-06-2023

(19-06-2023, 12:25 PM)Lawrence Wrote:

Why are we discussing the activities of what is basically the wigan of the South?
Because it’s football related and he’s ex Pompey?

Just a guess.

RE: Gary O’Neil - Slagger - 19-06-2023

Not just any ex-Pompey player - a stalwart who gave 110% when I saw him play.

I remember him being a 110 percent bellend when he turned out for Boro against us at FP.

RE: Gary O’Neil - Pedalo_menders - 19-06-2023

Looks to me like Bournemouth are 'doing a southampton' and have delusions of grandeur. Gary kept them up, and they should be incredibly grateful for that. Now they're getting some random weirdo in to take the reigns (neigh). 

Not many managers can fill Eddie How's boots and Bournemouth are going to find out the hard way.

RE: Gary O’Neil - bluebollox - 19-06-2023

(19-06-2023, 03:53 PM)slayer Wrote: I remember him being a 110 percent bellend when he turned out for Boro against us at FP.

Go on then I'll bite?? What did he do to be a "110 percent bellend"?
Because I was @ there @ virtually every home game in that period & he wasn't. Whats more I doubt Gary has ever been & ever will be a "massive bellend".

RE: Gary O’Neil - Theyak2 - 19-06-2023

He was lucky to get the job but deserved his chance. Now it seems he is unlucky to lose his job but I have to admit, there are some managers that Bournemouth would probably like to take them forward.
Cut throat business is football!
Feel sorry for Gary but I bet he was compensated well.

RE: Gary O’Neil - Pompey_in_Derby - 19-06-2023

Ridiculous decision - apart from Eddie Howe, GON was up with Roy Hodgson as the most successful English manager in last season's top flight.

Anyone who sends the scummers down twice (once as a player and again as a manager) is a Pompey hero!!

Also, just seen that Darren Moore has left Sheffield Wednesday.

RE: Gary O’Neil - firqdays - 19-06-2023

Totally convinced BAFC have well and truly messed this one up.

Between the lines it does sound as if the Owner/the Board are trying to run the club as far as recruitment goes, and possibly GON had his own thoughts in that direction .....

Personally I would say Good Luck GON and I now hope BAFC join the other friends from the west in the championship.

RE: Gary O’Neil - Hammie - 19-06-2023

I suspect the money is running otu and he did not want to sell a particular player or two.

And Bruno at Sheff Weds. Probably told there was not the money to go on a spending spree and did not fancy a relegation fight and then the sack.

RE: Gary O’Neil - Lawrence - 19-06-2023

(19-06-2023, 06:14 PM)firqdays Wrote: Totally convinced BAFC have well and truly messed this one up.

Between the lines it does sound as if the Owner/the Board are trying to run the club as far as recruitment goes, and possibly GON had his own thoughts in that direction .....

Personally I would say Good Luck GON and I now hope BAFC join the other friends from the west in the championship.

Gary's the real winner here. He leaves with his reputation enhanced. And it'll be the new manager (who appears to have got the job coz he bumped into gaurdiola in a wetherspoon once) who has to try and keep the tinpot club in the grubby league for another season.

One of their lot was on the BBC saying he wasn't the one to take them to the next level. Unless you can afford the price tag for the next level you aren't going anywhere. And if you try you'll end up like Leicester etc.

RE: Gary O’Neil - exterminator - 19-06-2023

"Take them to the next level"  how clueless by " "one of their lot" 

He should have been told - You're already punching well above your weight, you have ideas way above - jog on.

RE: Gary O’Neil - RavoPFC - 19-06-2023

Gazza will always be remembered as playing a huge part in sending the scum down for the 2nd time in his career. That game away at St Marys was the most I'd laughed in ages when scums goal got disallowed in the lastb minute.

He'll never have to pay for pint in our fair city or Bournemouth.

RE: Gary O’Neil - Tomsk - 19-06-2023

(19-06-2023, 12:58 PM)Jezzer Wrote: Well let's see who they bring in before we decide whether it's a bad thing.
Remember when the scum got rid of Adkins and brought in the "unknown" Pochettino. The move was slated at the time but was a good example of the forward planning so often absent at football clubs.  Fortunately, Pochettino soon realized what a shithole he'd ended up in and upped sticks pronto.

Ah yes, that spawned the famous Nigel Adkins book of condolence which was one of my favourite things in the world.  The amount of absolute cringeworthy arse slurping was superb... "Thank you Nigel, Thank you..."
Funnily enough when they realised they'd got somebody with a bit of substance in Poch it was "Nigel who?"