TrueBlueArmy Forums
Pompey sign Ben Stevenson - Printable Version

+- TrueBlueArmy Forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com)
+-- Forum: TBA forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Play Up Pompey (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: Pompey sign Ben Stevenson (/showthread.php?tid=3133)

Pages: 1 2

Pompey sign Ben Stevenson - BigSmokeBlue - 21-06-2023

From Forest Green Rovers. The midfielder joins on a 2 year deal.

https://www.portsmouthfc.co.uk/news/2023/june/stevenson-becomes-sixth-summer-signing/

RE: Pompey sign Ben Stevenson - Kingo - 21-06-2023

Not exactly a prolific goalscorer. Or assister for that matter.

RE: Pompey sign Ben Stevenson - exgaffer - 21-06-2023

(21-06-2023, 08:21 PM)Kingo Wrote: Not exactly a prolific goalscorer. Or assister for that matter.

Lies, damn lies and statistics eh? He’s a midfielder and they are rarely prolific in the goal scoring area. As for the ‘assist’ stats they are a load of garbage and should be disregarded.

Probably best to wait until you’ve seen him play don’t you think?

The club seems to be carrying out good due diligence on the new signings, so we have to trust them on this one.

RE: Pompey sign Ben Stevenson - Hammie - 21-06-2023

I'm going with Hughes knowing what he is doing, especially with a player from FGR which suggests he has signed him before.
We are unlikely to get a 100% hit rate but at least we are getting them together and on tour together.
Brick by brick as a rich man once said.

RE: Pompey sign Ben Stevenson - DeepBlue - 21-06-2023

He sounds ike decent enough cover. You have to sign a squad not just a first team.

RE: Pompey sign Ben Stevenson - Pedalo_menders - 21-06-2023

(21-06-2023, 08:57 PM)DeepBlue Wrote: He sounds ike decent enough cover. You have to sign a squad not just a first team.

I will counter that with the following:

Our starting XI is not good enough. If we genuinely want to be promoted, we should be signing players to replace the starter, and the starter then becomes the squad player. Signing someone as back up is not a good idea if you want to improve. 

Let's hope this chap from the worst team in the league last season is a real gem. Some very odd signings coming in so far.

RE: Pompey sign Ben Stevenson - tl73 - 22-06-2023

I think we're strong enough in central midfield to recruit a squad midfielder. Being a playmaker means he could offer something a bit different to what we have, or at least be exciting when he plays.

RE: Pompey sign Ben Stevenson - bluetagagain - 22-06-2023

I think Stevenson is a straight replacement for Thompson. We now have 5 ( I’m not counting Mingi) central midfielders ( Pack, Morrell, Lowery , Devlin, Hewitt-, and now Stevenson.

I still think we need another 6 players depending on who goes. We need another keeper, CB, left and right wingers ( or one who can play both flanks) , a No10 and another striker. Unless JM is going to utilise Vincent, we’ll probably need another left back if Hume goes.

So far so good PUP.

RE: Pompey sign Ben Stevenson - briefcase_wanchor - 22-06-2023

I'd say the recruitment policy so far puts a lot of pressure on the management/coaching team. They are going to have to work incredibly hard to turn the remnants of last season plus the new recruits into a promotion chasing team. Not saying it can't be done but a policy like this requires a lot more work. By example, compare recruiting a proven player like Bishop to a player like Saydee.

RE: Pompey sign Ben Stevenson - Theyak2 - 22-06-2023

FGR fans would've liked him to stay. However, they are also 'not fussed to lose him'!
We know they were relegated , right?
Got to trust Hughes here, there is nothing else that can be said!

RE: Pompey sign Ben Stevenson - firqdays - 22-06-2023

As stated above by Yak and Hammie, we do have to trust the professional knowledge of Mr Hughes and others in the business of recruitment.

Very much a damned in they do, and damned if they don't - or haven't ..... quickly enough.

We shall see how it works out, however, I would say that it does NOT seem to be reckless, and there does seem to be a policy.

RE: Pompey sign Ben Stevenson - blueandwight - 22-06-2023

I sort of agree with most of the comments on here.
But I have to say that this bloke Hughes must be an effing genius or the fans are getting ripped off...again.
This new squad has all the makings of something quite inferior to August last year. Precious little genuine ambition to be seen so far, I'm afraid. We'd be absolutre mugs if we expected anything any different from the Eisners.

RE: Pompey sign Ben Stevenson - bluetagagain - 22-06-2023

(22-06-2023, 09:27 AM)blueandwight Wrote: I sort of agree with most of the comments on here.
But I have to say that this bloke Hughes must be an effing genius or the fans are getting ripped off...again.
This new squad has all the makings of something quite inferior to August last year. Precious little genuine ambition to be seen so far, I'm afraid. We'd be absolutre mugs if we expected anything any different from the Eisners.

3/10 stay behind after school

RE: Pompey sign Ben Stevenson - Pompeyg100 - 22-06-2023

(22-06-2023, 09:27 AM)blueandwight Wrote: I sort of agree with most of the comments on here.

It depends on what you think ambition is. I think having a transfer plan and targets identified before the window opens and executing that plan and signing those players shows ambition.

If your idea of ambition is to spunk money after the season has started on useless overpriced loans then I would absolutely agree there has been no ambition shown.

RE: Pompey sign Ben Stevenson - mikey393 - 24-06-2023

(21-06-2023, 09:41 PM)Pedalo_menders Wrote:
(21-06-2023, 08:57 PM)DeepBlue Wrote: He sounds ike decent enough cover. You have to sign a squad not just a first team.

Our starting XI is not good enough. If we genuinely want to be promoted, we should be signing players to replace the starter, and the starter then becomes the squad player. Signing someone as back up is not a good idea if you want to improve. 

Let's hope this chap from the worst team in the league last season is a real gem. Some very odd signings coming in so far.

Spot on Pedalo! None of our 6 signings to date sound anything special. All on frees & No doubt very low wages.  RH has got bodies in but can't see the quality yet. Bearing in mind ME has stated there's an increased playing budget.

Hopefully they're negotiating for some higher quality but having to wait as other clubs are interested. The friendly v Bristol City could give us some clues.

RE: Pompey sign Ben Stevenson - slayer - 24-06-2023

Sound  Smile

RE: Pompey sign Ben Stevenson - DeepBlue - 25-06-2023

(24-06-2023, 09:09 PM)mikey393 Wrote:

Spot on Pedalo! None of our 6 signings to date sound anything special. All on frees & No doubt very low wages.  RH has got bodies in but can't see the quality yet. Bearing in mind ME has stated there's an increased playing budget.

Hopefully they're negotiating for some higher quality but having to wait as other clubs are interested. The friendly v Bristol City could give us some clues.

They've not all been on frees.

We've paid fees for three of the six signed so far.  And why would the three coming down from the championship and premiership be on very low wages ?

RE: Pompey sign Ben Stevenson - exgaffer - 25-06-2023

(25-06-2023, 08:25 AM)DeepBlue Wrote:
(24-06-2023, 09:09 PM)mikey393 Wrote:

They've not all been on frees.

We've paid fees for three of the six signed so far.  And why would the three coming down from the championship and premiership be on very low wages ?

Dead right Deep.

RE: Pompey sign Ben Stevenson - Trarchus - 25-06-2023

Think I'll wait until we finished our business and seen a few games before making any judgement. 
Quality is good, but other qualities are just as important, along with a savvy manager.  Case in point Plymouth
Good to see the early team building, though.  Hopefully, a good start to the season.

I'm really hoping we cut out the defensive errors, retain the ball better and improve our passing when attacking.

Big decision, shall I put my ton this season on winning the league, promotion or playoffs? Tongue

RE: Pompey sign Ben Stevenson - Hammie - 25-06-2023

(22-06-2023, 09:32 AM)Santa release Claus Wrote: Sign dross from FGR and Burton Albion and you get what you deserve.

Liverpool used to sign dross from the likes of Scunthorpe. 

Spending millions is no guarantee at any level. Or even quarter of a million on a wing back

RE: Pompey sign Ben Stevenson - slayer - 25-06-2023

Always amazes me, the forensic knowledge others on here seem to have of other club's players. Proper supporters etc etc.

RE: Pompey sign Ben Stevenson - Daniel - 25-06-2023

Genuinely think we are signing a squad. We have struggled last few years with only having a decent starting line up but a few injuries then we are down to bare bones.

There clearly seems to be a plan and everyone we have signed has been better than we let go!!

RE: Pompey sign Ben Stevenson - Hammie - 25-06-2023

as it is we already had a decent defence, hopefully we now have a decent keeper, fingers crossed.
central midfield, we were not far off.

Wide nd creating chances was the big issue and the stats on signings suggest we are improving that.

If we are nailed on to playing one up front then anyone we sign knows that they are starting on the bench. That must make it hard to get in top quality signings for that position.

RE: Pompey sign Ben Stevenson - Daniel - 25-06-2023

(25-06-2023, 03:04 PM)Hammie Wrote: as it is we already had a decent defence, hopefully we now have a decent keeper, fingers crossed.
central midfield, we were not far off.

Wide nd creating chances was the big issue and the stats on signings suggest we are improving that.

If we are nailed on to playing one up front then anyone we sign knows that they are starting on the bench. That must make it hard to get in top quality signings for that position.

That’s why I think Saydee is as Good as we could get as an out and out striker. I think we will get one that can play along the line as well.

RE: Pompey sign Ben Stevenson - slayer - 25-06-2023

I can live with 451 if we don't sit back after scoring and try and defend a one nil lead for 70 mins. Not sitting through a season of that shit again.