TrueBlueArmy Forums
Current squad - Printable Version

+- TrueBlueArmy Forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com)
+-- Forum: TBA forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Play Up Pompey (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: Current squad (/showthread.php?tid=3136)

Pages: 1 2 3

Current squad - bluetagagain - 22-06-2023

Whilst I acknowledge that the TW has only been opened a week and that hopefully we're nowhere near the finished article yet. What do you think of the squad so far, especially compared to last seasons squad.

Personally I still think a lot has to be done.
1. We've got our keeper,however not sure how he compares to Macey
2. Full backs no change.
3. Centre backs, we've only swapped Robertson for Shaugnessy, so still an unknown there. I'd say we're currently weaker as we haven't replaced D'Shon - yet.
4. Central Midfielders, probably slightly better if we feel we've replaced Thompson with Stevenson and brought in a Devlin who seems to have more potential than Mingi.
5. Wingers, slightly worse off IMO. Scully in for Jacobs and Lane ( who I don't expect a lot from TBH - hasn't really taken off in the N.I squad (and neither has Whyte)). We're also losing Curtis so I feel we need  2 more wingers.
6. Attacking Midfielder/No 10, no change, we haven't had one or got one - yet.
7. Strikers, Worse off. Last season we had 3 now we've currently got 2. Is Saydee better or even equal to Scarlett or Pigott?

So all in all IMO I feel we're slightly worse off but with 2 months of TW still to run I'm hoping we're going to improve,especially in the attacking dept.

RE: Current squad - 2_Kuhl - 22-06-2023

(22-06-2023, 09:53 AM)bluetagagain Wrote: Whilst I acknowledge that the TW has only been opened a week and that hopefully we're nowhere near the finished article yet. What do you think of the squad so far, especially compared to last seasons squad.

2. Full backs no change.
3. Centre backs, we've only swapped Robertson for Shaugnessy, so still an unknown there. I'd say we're currently weaker as we haven't replaced D'Shon - yet.
4. Central Midfielders, probably slightly better if we feel we've replaced Thompson with Stevenson and brought in a Devlin who seems to have more potential than Mingi.
5. Wingers, slightly worse off IMO. Scully in for Jacobs and Lane ( who I don't expect a lot from TBH - hasn't really taken off in the N.I squad (and neither has Whyte)). We're also losing Curtis so I feel we need  2 more wingers.
7. Strikers, Worse off. Last season we had 3 now we've currently got 2. Is Saydee better or even equal to Scarlett or Pigott?

So all in all IMO I feel we're slightly worse off but with 2 months of TW still to run I'm hoping we're going to improve,especially in the attacking dept.

As has already been alluded to, I'm yet to be convinced that any of the signings have improved us from last season, with the exception of Sculley, we have just filled holes and replaced.

We need a lot of quality to get out of this god forsaken league.

RE: Current squad - Daniel - 22-06-2023

I don’t think that much needs to be done.

If we can get Gavin Whyte, Tommy Leigh and Bernard we will be in great shape.

Need a left back but think we will end up being stuck with Hume. Then a couple
Of loans to enhance the squad

RE: Current squad - bluebollox - 22-06-2023

(22-06-2023, 10:15 AM)2_Kuhl Wrote:
(22-06-2023, 09:53 AM)bluetagagain Wrote: Whilst I acknowledge that the TW has only been opened a week and that hopefully we're nowhere near the finished article yet. What do you think of the squad so far, especially compared to last seasons squad.

2. Full backs no change.

As has already been alluded to, I'm yet to be convinced that any of the signings have improved us from last season, with the exception of Sculley, we have just filled holes and replaced.

We need a lot of quality to get out of this god forsaken league.

Transfer window has only been open 2 1/2 weeks lets not forget but all in all we are looking stronger I reckon.

RE: Current squad - dsmg - 22-06-2023

Daniel, what's up with Ogilvie at left back?

RE: Current squad - bluetagagain - 22-06-2023

(22-06-2023, 10:20 AM)Daniel Wrote: I don’t think that much needs to be done.

If we can get Gavin Whyte, Tommy Leigh and Bernard we will be in great shape.

Need a left back but think we will end up being stuck with Hume. Then a couple
Of loans to enhance the squad

On top of them we also need another GK , striker, possibly a replacement for Hume . So that’s another 6 players. 7 if we want 4 wide attacking players.

RE: Current squad - DeepBlue - 22-06-2023

I don't think the squad is any better on paper (yet), but that doesn't necessarily matter. You can have 11 top indivudual players on paper but if they cannot play together as a team you are stuffed.  11 lesser players, well drilled and well coached and committed to playing together as a team is what you need. 

Look at Plymouth last year -  I would say man for man they were weaker on paper than us and most of the top 8, but Schumacher got them playing well as a team and reaped the benefits. 

Hughes & Mousinho strike me as the type of management team that are capable of doing the same. Hughes certainly achieved it at FGR, albeit at lower levels.

I think you’ll find Plymouth had some great loans whereas we had Dale and Scarlett

RE: Current squad - DeepBlue - 22-06-2023

(22-06-2023, 11:26 AM)bluetagagain Wrote: I think you’ll find Plymouth had some great loans whereas we had Dale and Scarlett

They had some good loans that worked out really well, but I doubt that any of them were as highly rated on paper as Griffiths or Scarlett at the start if the season.

(22-06-2023, 10:52 AM)dsmg Wrote: Daniel, what's up with Ogilvie at left back?

I don’t mind Ogilve but could do with a more attacking left back that isn’t Hume. It’s not a priority signing but it’s one I think we should improve

Ogilvie scores goals and is the best crosser of the ball we’ve got. On the team sheet every time for me

RE: Current squad - Pedalo_menders - 22-06-2023

On paper it's not looking good, is it. Wheb you're told your getting 9-10 new signings you get excited with the assumption that these are supposed to replace the players who weren't good enough. The profile of player we have gone for is rather dubious. 

This is a big transfer window for The Eisners and Richard Hughes. 

What's happened to the playing budget? They must be saving it up for the last bit of the window as so far every like for like replacement is a downgrade on what left.

(22-06-2023, 11:56 AM)dsmg Wrote: Ogilvie scores goals and is the best crosser of the ball we’ve got. On the team sheet every time for me

Buts that’s only because we haven’t got better. Like I said it’s not a priority position but would like a new
One in

RE: Current squad - exterminator - 22-06-2023

(22-06-2023, 11:42 AM)Daniel Wrote:
(22-06-2023, 10:52 AM)dsmg Wrote: Daniel, what's up with Ogilvie at left back?

I don’t mind Ogilve but could do with a more attacking left back that isn’t Hume. It’s not a priority signing but it’s one I think we should improve

We have got Conor Ogilvie as #1 choice & Liam Vincent as a backup - I saw him play a couple of times last year & he looked the part - he couldn't be recalled from loan when The Moose arrived. It will be interesting to see what he makes of him in pre- season.

RE: Current squad - tl73 - 22-06-2023

We're currently worse than last season, but significantly better than this stage of the transfer window last season. Building a reasonable squad overall, still in need of a 2nd keeper, centre back, left back, central mid/10, 2 wingers, and a striker.

RE: Current squad - SJG53POMPEY - 22-06-2023

(22-06-2023, 11:56 AM)dsmg Wrote: Ogilvie scores goals and is the best crosser of the ball we’ve got. On the team sheet every time for me

Hume is a far better crosser of the ball than Ogilvie , although he lacks in other areas

Do you really think we are worse than last season.

Clark Robertson Conor Shaughnessy but need another.
Michael Jacobs, (can’t last 60 mins) need to sign a 10
Louis Thompson - Ben Stevenson
Ryan Tunnicliffe, - Terry Devlin
Kieron Freeman - (don’t need to sign1)
Jayden Reid, (sick note)
Alfie Bridgman (don’t know enough about to pass judgment)
Dan Gifford - Christian Saydee 
Owen dale - Antony Scully
Matt macey - will Norris (both standard league one keepers)
Bernard (hopefully sign)
Joe piggot (bit part player on big wages)
Dane Scarlet (poor attitude)

Bernard, Whyte and Leigh and we will be a decent side. Then get some talented loans to supplement the squad

RE: Current squad - mikey393 - 22-06-2023

Totally Underwhelmed so far by all the new signings.

Hopefully, there will be a Marquee signing of some sort maybe a No. 10 which we need badly.

Need another decent striker to play alongside Colby as Saydee only looks back up quality.

At least we've got in early doors to sign 6 players & hopefully a couple will turn out to be decent.

All eyes now on the other 4 with 2 of those possible loans which need to be good quality.

RE: Current squad - Lawrence - 22-06-2023

(22-06-2023, 02:29 PM)Daniel Wrote: Do you really think we are worse than last season.

Jayden Reid, (sick note)
Bernard (hopefully sign)

Bernard, Whyte and Leigh and we will be a decent side. Then get some talented loans to supplement the squad

It's great that we've signed so many players so early, but if I was one of the first team regulars from last season I wouldn't be looking over my shoulder with worry.

At least we will have the summer to look at most of them - which is a change.

(22-06-2023, 03:45 PM)Lawrence Wrote:
(22-06-2023, 02:29 PM)Daniel Wrote: Do you really think we are worse than last season.

Jayden Reid, (sick note)
Bernard (hopefully sign)

It's great that we've signed so many players so early, but if I was one of the first team regulars from last season I wouldn't be looking over my shoulder with worry.

At least we will have the summer to look at most of them - which is a change.

But at the same time we went 11 games unbeaten so there isn’t much that needs to change. All we need to do is half the draws and turn them to wins. 

Getting the creativity in should change that hopefully

The one area we lacked last year is also the one still lacking at this moment. Attacking players, other than Bishop ( and possibly - as yet unknown, Scully). Ipswich had at least 6 attacking/ goal scoring players last season, that’s why they went up. We had a decent defence and midfield last season and still do. However the attacking point remains blunt.

RE: Current squad - The Realist - 22-06-2023

(22-06-2023, 02:12 PM)SJG53POMPEY Wrote:

Hume is a far better crosser of the ball than Ogilvie , although he lacks in other areas

Maybe Cowley thinks so, but never seen Hume provide an assist (unlike Ogilvie).

Ask Whittingham who crosses better

RE: Current squad - Cunninglinguist - 22-06-2023

(22-06-2023, 03:40 PM)mikey393 Wrote: Totally Underwhelmed so far by all the new signings.

Hopefully, there will be a Marquee signing of some sort maybe a No. 10 which we need badly.

Need another decent striker to play alongside Colby as Saydee only looks back up quality.

At least we've got in early doors to sign 6 players & hopefully a couple will turn out to be decent.

All eyes now on the other 4 with 2 of those possible loans which need to be good quality.

And Plymouths top signing was……???

RE: Current squad - Hammie - 22-06-2023

one big signing for a half a million or even a million.
Guaranteed to get you promoted every time
Or not.