TrueBlueArmy Forums
The gravity of the failed Cowley era - Printable Version

+- TrueBlueArmy Forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com)
+-- Forum: TBA forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Play Up Pompey (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: The gravity of the failed Cowley era (/showthread.php?tid=3197)

Pages: 1 2 3

The gravity of the failed Cowley era - slayer - 14-07-2023

This is only properly begining to register with me.

I think our fervent proactivity this summer has helped me to properly see it for what it was.

Jesus wept. Totally out of his depth.

RE: The gravity of the failed Cowley era - Cunninglinguist - 15-07-2023

Didn’t seem that way for the start of last season but he couldn’t cope with an injury situation. Some strange decisions showed his inexperience.

Time will tell with JM. I haven’t seen anything yet to make me think he’s any cleverer. I’m sure he’ll make some rookie mistakes and it depends how quick he learns, as to whether he succeeds or not. His DOF has hopefully given him some decent tools to work with (and quickly), so he’s been handed the best opportunity.

RE: The gravity of the failed Cowley era - bluetagagain - 15-07-2023

The Cowleys started off well and bought some good players. However, there was no plan B and DC relied to heavily on loans, especially loans from premier clubs to the detriment of not playing/ developing some of our younger players. Not having our own players in key positions always meant replacing them every season, definitely not a recipe for long term success or ambition. I think he ( DC)looked upon himself as someone who could develop other players so it looked good on his CV. Personally I thought he tactically naive when we started to lose after our initial winning streak.

Of course, he didn’t have the benefit of someone doing the recruitment for him.

RE: The gravity of the failed Cowley era - Daniel - 15-07-2023

Cowley spent all of his budget on the starting 11 when injuries came about he just had rubbish to plug the gaps.

That’s what seems different so far this season. With minimum of 3 more coming in.

RE: The gravity of the failed Cowley era - TBP - 15-07-2023

Injuries still coming thick and fast, though.

RE: The gravity of the failed Cowley era - Pompeyg100 - 15-07-2023

If only someone had been saying this from the start.

RE: The gravity of the failed Cowley era - FiftyYearsOn - 15-07-2023

7 injured and counting.... most if not all sound very minor, but we’ve heard all that before. Lowery injury will be a ‘here we go again’ worry.

RE: The gravity of the failed Cowley era - Daniel - 15-07-2023

Won’t be risked on a 4g pitch today

Most if oral payers wi suffer with some sort of injury throughout a season and they’ll pay through it. Don’t have to do that in preseason. I wouldn’t read too much into it.

RE: The gravity of the failed Cowley era - dsmg - 15-07-2023

Been on the sauce, Cunni?

Chuckle, this happened to blue(?) the other week. Someone else’s turn to take the piss, at my expense.

Mine’s funnier and I ain’t changing it!

RE: The gravity of the failed Cowley era - slayer - 15-07-2023

I'm more of an oral buyer myself.

This thread is now far more amusing.

RE: The gravity of the failed Cowley era - West Australian Portsmouth Fan - 16-07-2023

Oral payers!?!

RE: The gravity of the failed Cowley era - Hammie - 16-07-2023

(15-07-2023, 09:13 AM)TBP Wrote: Injuries still coming thick and fast, though.

From the comments of the medical team, now departed, Cowley over ruled them and turned short term injuries into long term. Whereas at least so far this preseason, we are erring on the safe side. 

Although I'm far from keen on playing warm up games on plastic pitches, especially as we have none in our league to come.

RE: The gravity of the failed Cowley era - Gerry Hatrick - 16-07-2023

There's the irony. WITH a medical team, we ignore their advice and come a cropper. WITHOUT, we err on the safe side. Certainly the latter seems the best option until our new medical team are in place to advise otherwise.

RE: The gravity of the failed Cowley era - bluetagagain - 16-07-2023

Currently our medical team is two physios here part time.

RE: The gravity of the failed Cowley era - Lawrence - 17-07-2023

(14-07-2023, 10:29 PM)slayer Wrote: This is only properly begining to register with me.

I think our fervent proactivity this summer has helped me to properly see it for what it was.

Nobody moaned when we were flying at the top of the table. Nobody could've got us promoted on the 50p the Eisner's gave the Cowley's (which in itself was a cheap option) hence all the loans and us attempting to get promoted hoping 11 players would last 46 games plus cups. And we're still doing cheap. Free transfers, low transfer fees and players that literally nobody wants. I really hope it works out for Mousinho otherwise you could be finding yourself copy and pasting your message with Mousinho's name substituted for the Cowleys.

If you're looking for a target the real villain was Jackett. The only manager given seven figure sum to buy a player since the Eisner takeover and who blew it big style. The Cowley's entire playing budget wasn't too far north of one Jackett signing. Ever since then, we've been hanging around EFL car boot sales.

RE: The gravity of the failed Cowley era - Hammie - 17-07-2023

Jackett was not given the money, he earned it by taking cups seriously. Sadly the two strikers he bought let him down in the end, Marquis probably through a lack of service, Harrison seemed very injury prone which was a shame as he had a lot of attributes.
As regards cheap loans, Cowley bought in some very expensive loans who for whatever reason did not perform as he expected.

RE: The gravity of the failed Cowley era - Northstander - 17-07-2023

Yes Hammie, Tyler Walker for me was the worst of the expensive loans, I see he has signed for Lincoln.

RE: The gravity of the failed Cowley era - Pompeyg100 - 17-07-2023

(17-07-2023, 09:37 AM)Lawrence Wrote:
(14-07-2023, 10:29 PM)slayer Wrote: This is only properly begining to register with me.

Nobody moaned when we were flying at the top of the table. Nobody could've got us promoted on the 50p the Eisner's gave the Cowley's (which in itself was a cheap option) hence all the loans and us attempting to get promoted hoping 11 players would last 46 games plus cups. And we're still doing cheap. Free transfers, low transfer fees and players that literally nobody wants. I really hope it works out for Mousinho otherwise you could be finding yourself copy and pasting your message with Mousinho's name substituted for the Cowleys.

If you're looking for a target the real villain was Jackett. The only manager given seven figure sum to buy a player since the Eisner takeover and who blew it big style. The Cowley's entire playing budget wasn't too far north of one Jackett signing. Ever since then, we've been hanging around EFL car boot sales.

But Cowley spent the money loans that were more expensive than signing 
L1 players.  Most transfers in L1 are free on cheap, what exactly are you expecting?

RE: The gravity of the failed Cowley era - Pompeyg100 - 17-07-2023

(17-07-2023, 10:30 AM)Northstander Wrote: Yes Hammie, Tyler Walker for me was the worst of the expensive loans, I see he has signed for Lincoln.

Tyler Walker cost more than signing 2 perm players.

RE: The gravity of the failed Cowley era - Hammie - 17-07-2023

Walker is an odd one
He did extremely well previously at Lincoln under Cowley, their fans are delighted to have him back.
Yet for us, he was pretty much pathetically bad. Right down there in McGarbage territory to me.

RE: The gravity of the failed Cowley era - Cunninglinguist - 17-07-2023

(17-07-2023, 12:16 PM)Hammie Wrote: Walker is an odd one
He did extremely well previously at Lincoln under Cowley, their fans are delighted to have him back.
Yet for us, he was pretty much pathetically bad. Right down there in McGarbage territory to me.

He really was much worse than McGarvey. At least McGarvey tried and I saw him score a brilliant glancing header at Ninian Park.