TrueBlueArmy Forums
Heading the ball - Printable Version

+- TrueBlueArmy Forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com)
+-- Forum: TBA forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Play Up Pompey (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: Heading the ball (/showthread.php?tid=321)

Pages: 1 2

RE: Heading the ball - Tufnell_Chimes - 12-03-2021

Gaff, I once spent six months sitting next to a bloke who spent the entire time I was there tweaking the colour purple to a piece of pet packaging, over and over again. Every product is minutely designed, pyschologically analysed and focus grouped to death - and that's before all the promo starts. You're looking at the shelf thinking you're doing the choosing - on the other side of the shelf you've a corporation spending millions to make sure you choose them - you haven't got a chance. You may think you make you're own decisions, but that's the idea - its far easier to get a consumer to buy into something if they believe its their idea. As you say, you smoked for years - who would actively poison themselves if they weren't being aggressively marketed to?

I also smoked for years and packed it in at thirty - took me about two years to drop from B&H through all the shades of Silk Cut before it became just ridiculous, but I've never had the urge to go back.

RE: Heading the ball - muschi - 12-03-2021

Fpompey. I did post how does football compare to other sports.

Now that in itself is not possible as you have to define footballer. Pros only? Every kid who has ever kicked a ball?

So as no one can produce reliable evidence it will always be just a theory.

RE: Heading the ball - exgaffer - 12-03-2021

(12-03-2021, 03:27 PM)Tufnell_Chimes Wrote: Gaff, I once spent six months sitting next to a bloke who spent the entire time I was there tweaking the colour purple to a piece of pet packaging, over and over again. Every product is minutely designed, pyschologically analysed and focus grouped to death - and that's before all the promo starts. You're looking at the shelf thinking you're doing the choosing - on the other side of the shelf you've a corporation spending millions to make sure you choose them - you haven't got a chance. You may think you make you're own decisions, but that's the idea - its far easier to get a consumer to buy into something if they believe its their idea. As you say, you smoked for years - who would actively poison themselves if they weren't being aggressively marketed to?

I also smoked for years and packed it in at thirty - took me about two years to drop from B&H through all the shades of Silk Cut before it became just ridiculous, but I've never had the urge to go back.

I agree that a lot of time, money and effort goes into advertising Tuffers, but I think the advertising bods think they are more effective than they actually are. I always smoked the fags that I liked, not the ones in the fanciest packaging. A lot of advertising is just done to keep a product in the public eye, rather than getting people to switch to a particular brand. People tend to trust brands that advertise heavily but I don’t think they are generally persuaded to buy something they don’t want. They just get persuaded to buy the ‘branded’ product.

I’m glad you gave up though, smoking is a lose, lose activity. It costs loads of money, stinks the place out and fecks up your lungs. Just not worth the bother imo.

The hardest bit for me was that I had to give up more enjoyable substances than tobacco, because the act of smoking itself was a habit. Fortunately there are other ways ?.

Giving up drinking is a definite no no though, I love beer, wine and whisky far too much. Also, watching Pompey sober is not an ordeal I can contemplate  :) .

RE: Heading the ball - BilltheCat - 12-03-2021

"watching Pompey sober is not an ordeal I can contemplate"

Amen, brother!!!